Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes workers to strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I think some of this zero hour stuff is essentially management laziness. Dunnes Stores is not a business with vast fluctuations in demand for their services. I 'd say, that with the aid of modern scheduling software, that there exists a rota that is a great deal more employee friendly that offers a cost with a couple of % of what they have, they just couldn't be arsed putting in the effort to do this..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bettyl

I think some of this zero hour stuff is essentially management laziness. Dunnes Stores is not a business with vast fluctuations in demand for their services. I 'd say, that with the aid of modern scheduling software, that there exists a rota that is a great deal more employee friendly that offers a cost with a couple of % of what they have, they just couldn't be arsed putting in the effort to do this..

Zero hour contracts do not exist in Dunnes. Some of the info in circulation isn't right and this is what people are basing their decision on. I know a few people who work in Dunnes and they don't really understand it. My sister got a job there for Christmas and she was getting 9.65 an hour and more for a Sunday. I know some people who are working a good while in some places and still only get min wage, some even work out less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

So people with low weekly hour contracts can't get a mortgage, cry me a river

There are plenty of permanent professionals that also can't get mortgages.
    This sounds just like union propaganda, they're encouraging non union workers to join them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Dunnes Staff sign minimum 15 hour contract and then start complaining when they are given a 15 hour week. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Dunnes Staff sign minimum 15 hour contract and then start complaining when they are given a 15 hour week. :rolleyes:

if that is spread over 5 days you cannot claim social welfare.
    how can you live on 15 hours a week?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So people with low weekly hour contracts can't get a mortgage, cry me a river

There are plenty of permanent professionals that also can't get mortgages.
    This sounds just like union propaganda, they're encouraging non union workers to join them as well

Sounds like these permanent professionals are looking for too much of a mortgage.
    With the new CB mortgage rules, the LTI ratios are quite straight forward.

I see the point raised here has totally gone over your head. One of the main requirements to getting a mortgage is a regular stream of income i.e. A permanent job that you have been in more than 6 months.

As stated above if people are signing 15 hour temp contracts and then expecting to be in a position to apply for a mortgage they they are foolish

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I see the point raised here has totally gone over your head. One of the main requirements to getting a mortgage is a regular stream of income i.e. A permanent job that you have been in more than 6 months.

As stated above if people are signing 15 hour temp contracts and then expecting to be in a position to apply for a mortgage they they are foolish

not gone over anybodies head, i have family working for Dunnes Stores.
    They did not sign 15 hour temp contracts at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

When you start work in Dunnes you start on a 15 hour week contract you don't actually sign a contract but your told minimum of 15 hours, Allot of people on the 15 hours worked a full week up till a good few years ago when you had other supermarkets open up and Dunnes business declined. Now the staff aren't getting the hours they want they are complaing despite been told minimum of 15 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why would Dunnes hire say 30 people for minimal 15 hour contracts rather than 15 people for 30 hours? Surely the costs associated with greater staff numbers outweigh and benefits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Greyian

why would Dunnes hire say 30 people for minimal 15 hour contracts rather than 15 people for 30 hours? Surely the costs associated with greater staff numbers outweigh and benefits?

Well, there's lower employer's PRSI on staff members earning under €356 a week, so having a lot of staff on lower hours could reduce PRSI expenses (compared with fewer staff working more hours). It would also likely be an aid to Dunnes when assigning staff for busy periods (more staff can be assigned if you have more staff on fewer hours).

kceire wrote: »
    not gone over anybodies head, i have family working for Dunnes Stores.
    They did not sign 15 hour temp contracts at all.

The union are complaining that people on low hour contracts cannot get mortgages, there is a reason why that is the case and I don't think it's a justifiable reason to be going on strike.

Yes if they are on low hour contracts but to try and connect it to not getting a mortgage is real bleeding heart lies from the union

There is an unjustified sneering tone from some here.
    The issue is not mortgages as such, but how jobs in a relatively stable area of the economy have such unpredictable fluctuations in income.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

I am a dunnes worker and will be working there 9 years this year, now when I started I signed a 15 hour flexi contract. For the first 3 years I was still in school/college so It was perfect getting the 15-20 hours a week.

Now for the last 6 years I have been doing between 30 to 39 hours and I am still on that min 15 hour contract so at any point I can be put down to that, so every Tues/Wed I have the worry of still not knowing how many hours I will have for the following week when the roster goes up. It just makes no sense and its not fair. So at this point now we are all just tired of it so we have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It is the normal response whenever unions and strikes come up. gets all the youthful peedees (if only party hadn't disappeared before they got interested in politics!) that infest the site all frothy at the gums.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    It is the normal response whenever unions and strikes come up. gets all the youthful peedees (if only party hadn't disappeared before they got interested in politics!) that infest the site all frothy at the gums.

Can they not light candles to their posters of Lucinda, or some other positive act?

The issue is not mortgages as such, but how jobs in a relatively stable area of the economy have such unpredictable fluctuations in income.

It's a job in a supermarket we are discussing here, they have always been associated with part time and temporary work. It's irrelevant if people always need to buy stuff in a supermarket or not. Dunnes are free to decide how to run their business.

These people decided to sign 15 hour contracts and now want to change that by bullying via the union.

It's a job in a supermarket we are discussing here, they have always been associated with part time and temporary work. It's irrelevant if people always need to buy stuff in a supermarket or not. Dunnes are free to decide how to run their business.

These people decided to sign 15 hour contracts and now want to change that by bullying via the union.

some people work in Dunnes all their life.
    they are entitled to proper contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Never ceases to amaze me the right wing, Thatcherite mentality some Irish people have..

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    some people work in Dunnes all their life.
    they are entitled to proper contracts

Can you point me to the legislation that "entitles" them to what you speak of

• Advertisement

Can you point me to the legislation that "entitles" them to what you speak of

It is basic practice in all other supermarket chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

not yet wrote: »
    Never ceases to amaze me the right wing, Thatcherite mentality some Irish people have..

Would you like to give examples on this.

I do sympathise with Dunnes workers, no being sure of an income is not good,however from the employers point of view 30 staff on 15 hrs is way more valuable operationally than 15 staff on 30 hrs as the supermarket business tends have peaks and valleys in terms of customer footfall.

Don't like the attitude of Dunnes Mgm t. But if you sign for a 15 hr. contract you can't complain when that's what you get?

Hope it gets sorted for every bodies sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

The race to the bottom!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

mcko wrote: »
    The race to the bottom!!!!

Healthy competition.

Well I have worked most of my working life in the Pharma industry and had great pay and conditions , unfortunately because of attitudes like yours my children will never see jobs like mine,
    Competition is an other way of treating your employees like dirt, people on min wage which is becoming the maximum wage is a disgrace.
    Men fought and died for workers' rights and they are all being eroded, flat time for a Sunday, for this I blame people who go to shops on Sunday more than employers but that is an other debate.
    Working people need to stand together and look after pay and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Well I have worked most of my working life in the Pharma industry and had great pay and conditions , unfortunately because of attitudes like yours my children will never see jobs like mine,
    Competition is an other way of treating your employees like dirt, people on min wage which is becoming the maximum wage is a disgrace.
    Men fought and died for workers' rights and they are all being eroded, flat time for a Sunday, for this I blame people who go to shops on Sunday more than employers but that is an other debate.
    Working people need to stand together and look after pay and conditions.

Consequences being:
    Increased consumer prices leading to inflation.
    Increase in insolvent businesses
    Increase in redundancies, leading to increased social welfare payments
    Increases in general taxation to make up the shortfall
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

Valetta wrote: »
    Consequences being:
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

Let's all work for a bowel of rice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Valetta wrote: »
    Consequences being:
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

As long as Maggie Iis OK... Trickle down economics...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

So, your chuffed at the rewards received for working in pharma, which by its nature needs to be lean, innovative & profitable to survive.

Why you are against same in other industries seems strange.

And obviously your groundless statement that your children can never have well paid employment is both unprovable & likely false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

treating retail work as a permanent mortgage paying job or a job for life is just lunacy. Dunnes, like all supermarkets should be treated as a stepping stone in your career, not the end of it (unless you progress to management) the second somebody with 1 day less retail experience than you gets promoted to management, then its time to call it quits and find something else.

these people are striking like dunnes is their only avenue. I will be breaking the picket when they do strike as a show of solidarity with struggling business owners who get shafted by unions and insane demands every day of the week.

Advertisement