Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes workers to strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

No, government has no place interfering in a private companies labour dispute.

They have a role in protecting people from ill treatment from businesses. Not that I expect you to understand this, I'm sure you are too busy pleasing yourself at the thoughts of workers suffering for having had the gall to strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Full Marx wrote: »
    They have a role in protecting people from ill treatment from businesses. Not that I expect you to understand this, I'm sure you are too busy pleasing yourself at the thoughts of workers suffering for having had the gall to strike.

you go on like dunnes is a turkish prison or something, and that businesses are just a boogeyman hiding in the closet waiting to oppress everyone. In the land of free money welfare giveaways for all, why would anyone continue to work for a company that 'oppresses' them so badly.

Full Marx wrote: »

Whether we like it or not, the workers DID agree to those hours when they started working there. It doesn't excuse the way they are being treated, though. Talking of bycotting Dunnes won't help their cause, if they end up out of work altogether due to lack of customers. Dunnes don't want long term employees, because the longer they are there, the higher their wages, so they make it VERY difficult, within the Law, for workers to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

No, government has no place interfering in a private companies labour dispute.

in this case, they do. dunnes lost all their rights years ago as far as i'm concerned.
    you go on like dunnes is a turkish prison or something, and that businesses are just a boogeyman hiding in the closet waiting to oppress everyone.

well, by the sounds of it dunnes isn't far off. yes unfortunately some businesses are looking for ways and excuses to abuse workers. nobody said it was all businesses.
    why would anyone continue to work for a company that 'oppresses' them so badly.

no other option.
    Whether we like it or not, the workers DID agree to those hours when they started working there.

no, they hadn't any option. anyone who would sign for that clearly has nothing else. they were right, and now its time to change those hours and implement fixed contracts.
    Talking of bycotting Dunnes won't help their cause, if they end up out of work altogether due to lack of customers.

well, so be it. dunnes would deserve to go out of business, only that the staff are innocent in the whole thing

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

in this case, they do. dunnes lost all their rights years ago as far as i'm concerned.

well, by the sounds of it dunnes isn't far off. yes unfortunately some businesses are looking for ways and excuses to abuse workers. nobody said it was all businesses.

thank christ you hold no power on the decision then, you actually believe in the removal of rights for an entity that disagrees with you.

dunnes isn't far off a turkish prison, how would anyone even drag themselves out of bed to work in dunnes if it was like that. As a matter of interest, where do you work ?

• Advertisement

you go on like dunnes is a turkish prison or something, and that businesses are just a boogeyman hiding in the closet waiting to oppress everyone.

no other option.

no, they hadn't any option. anyone who would sign for that clearly has nothing else. they were right, and now its time to change those hours and implement fixed contracts.

well, so be it. dunnes would deserve to go out of business, only that the staff are innocent in the whole thing

You not liking something, doesn't make one jot of difference.

There IS an option. Leave and go on the Dole if needs be. There are a number of workers who are happy with their hours. Those who happen to have stuck it out long term are doing nicely on 15 hours a week!
    They are NOT the only company who have this deal. Many other in the retail trade have similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

thank christ you hold no power on the decision then, you actually believe in the removal of rights for an entity that disagrees with you.

dunnes isn't far off a turkish prison, how would anyone even drag themselves out of bed to work in dunnes if it was like that. As a matter of interest, where do you work ?

I don't see what where the poster works had to do with anything :confused:

Dunnes are by a long long way known to be the worst employers in the state for the way they treat their employees....there management training is abysmal

I don't see what where the poster works had to do with anything :confused:

Dunnes are by a long long way known to be the worst employers in the state for the way they treat their employees....there management training is abysmal

if they think being in dunnes is similar to a turkish prison, I want to know what they think of their employment and if they rate it highly id like to go work for that place, considering 15 hours a week is turkish prison territory.

Also just as a side note hopefully unrelated to the above poster, I have a feeling that there are some people commenting on how 'awful' dunnes are in this thread who have never held a job in their lives, if you have less than 1 year of cumulative tax paying employment , please let us know as you are in no position to talk about working conditions and whats fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

That's true, they do have the choice to leave. I don't know anything about their contracts, but it is undesirable from a societal point for businesses to squeeze those at the bottom, because they'd probably be better off on the welfare.

The margins in the retail are rather poor though, hence even retailers like Tesco's debt is downgraded.

You not liking something, doesn't make one jot of difference.

There IS an option. Leave and go on the Dole if needs be. There are a number of workers who are happy with their hours. Those who happen to have stuck it out long term are doing nicely on 15 hours a week!
    They are NOT the only company who have this deal. Many other in the retail trade have similar.
    no, there isn't an option if you want to work. i don't care if there are workers who are happy with their hours as thats their perogative. others however aren't, so have the right to try change their lot. they were right to go as far as they needed to, and if the company has retaliated or is retaliating by sacking those staff in revenge, those staff should do what is necessary to disrupt the companies business if needs be. picketing stores, stopping deliveries, whatever they need to do they will be right until dunnes changes its ways. nobody is doing nicely on 15 hours a week unless they actually suit them (as in they are a student and can only work 15 hours due to college) . other then that time for fixed hours. the fact many others have similar means nothing and is just simple excuse making and whataboutery.

• Advertisement

no, there isn't an option if you want to work. i don't care if there are workers who are happy with their hours as thats their perogative. others however aren't, so have the right to try change their lot. they were right to go as far as they needed to, and if the company has retaliated or is retaliating by sacking those staff in revenge, those staff should do what is necessary to disrupt the companies business if needs be. picketing stores, stopping deliveries, whatever they need to do they will be right until dunnes changes its ways. nobody is doing nicely on 15 hours a week unless they actually suit them (as in they are a student and can only work 15 hours due to college) . other then that time for fixed hours. the fact many others have similar means nothing and is just simple excuse making and whataboutery.

if only some people are unhappy then perhaps they are the ones with the issue, not dunnes.

if I don't like eating a food I just won't eat it again, what you suggest is I should picket the chef until he changes the recipe.

if they think being in dunnes is similar to a turkish prison, I want to know what they think of their employment and if they rate it highly id like to go work for that place, considering 15 hours a week is turkish prison territory.

Also just as a side note hopefully unrelated to the above poster, I have a feeling that there are some people commenting on how 'awful' dunnes are in this thread who have never held a job in their lives, if you have less than 1 year of cumulative tax paying employment , please let us know as you are in no position to talk about working conditions and whats fair.

You can rest assured kid...I've a lot more than one years work :rolleyes:

I know of some many who've worked in various dunnes around the country and its the same all over....being honest it's something dunnes would want to address is its inhouse management training and staff relations as the behaviour and way the management treat it's staff is about 200 years out of date

I fail to see your reasoning. Yes, not ALL the staff are unhappy. But how will ruining the business help the rest?

You can rest assured kid...I've a lot more than one years work :rolleyes:

I know of some many who've worked in various dunnes around the country and its the same all over....being honest it's something dunnes would want to address is its inhouse management training and staff relations as the behaviour and way the management treat it's staff is about 200 years out of date

that comment was more addressed to end of the road or full marx , while we may disagree you are a lot more moderate than they are.

if only some people are unhappy then perhaps they are the ones with the issue, not dunnes.

if I don't like eating a food I just won't eat it again, what you suggest is I should picket the chef until he changes the recipe.
    The issue is dunnes overuse and abuse of these contracts...
    To stand over and agree with them is a bit backward...trying to say it's the workers fault that dunnes are abusing the system??

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Whether someone works or nor, and where they work if so, is irrelevant to the discussion.

984310_776916935711414_7224835075606040633_n.jpg?oh=d8b49989aff9edb90333946182f88282&oe=55A3D63A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Management at dunes are terrible, but so are the staff, in my local Dunnes stores, I think they are all in slow motion. I have given up asking the staff in there anything, they are each as bad as the other. I was looking for an item the same as one I had purchased earlier in the day, I asked one staff member, she said she'd be back in a minute after asking someone…..cue 5 minutes later, no sign…..I see her at another checkout, I approach her, she says, ask the other guy-guy at other end of counter…I go to him, he says he can't help me without item number, doesn't even wait for description of what I'm looking for!! I see a manager, I go to him, was about to ask about the item, and maybe complain about the lack of customer care, when I see that he is signing to another member of staff about where to put a sign….at that, I just throw my hands up and leave…..
    the staff suck, the pay should suck…...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

the staff suck, the pay should suck…...

You can also turn that the other way around.

I don't understand why a large company that depends on interaction with the public to create sales and make profit seems to go out of it's way to demoralise and piss off large portions of it's staff.

An 18 year old in college in the first week of a Business management degree could tell you the importance of having a satisfied and happy workforce. The public face of the company is represented by it's workforce. They're hardly going to be productive and efficient when they are in constant conflict with management. Especially when a lot of this conflict seems to be caused by incompetant local level managers and petty disputes.

I don't understand how a constant turnover of cheap staff is actually good business long term for Dunnes. After the dissatisfied short term staff have left the customer still remembers any negative dealings they have with them. I'm not saying that all part timers are bad or all permananet full hours staff are good but it just seems to me to be bad for business to have your company image projected as constantly negative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Paulzx wrote: »

I don't understand why a large company that depends on interaction with the public to create sales and make profit seems to go out of it's way to demoralise and piss off large portions of it's staff.

An 18 year old in college in the first week of a Business management degree could tell you the importance of having a satisfied and happy workforce. The public face of the company is represented by it's workforce. They're hardly going to be productive and efficient when they are in constant conflict with management. Especially when a lot of this conflict seems to be caused by incompetant local level managers and petty disputes.

I don't understand how a constant turnover of cheap staff is actually good business long term for Dunnes. After the dissatisfied short term staff have left the customer still remembers any negative dealings they have with them. I'm not saying that all part timers are bad or all permananet full hours staff are good but it just seems to me to be bad for business to have your company image projected as constantly negative

I agree,it seems to be the way that large companies operate these days, and some of these 'large' companies, may only be employing 20+ staff, but they can depersonalize them and keep bodies on the payroll, regardless of skill set or experience…..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Paulzx wrote: »

I did business studies for the Junior Cert, and even then the course emphasised keeping employees happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

you go on like dunnes is a turkish prison or something, and that businesses are just a boogeyman hiding in the closet waiting to oppress everyone. In the land of free money welfare giveaways for all, why would anyone continue to work for a company that 'oppresses' them so badly.

Why? because they have to, or because they at least want to work or they want more opportunity than the dole, posters like you would be on giving out about people not taking basic level jobs over the dole, yet these people are working and there are some that are still not happy if they work, they also need to be treated badly, whatever of the hours in the contracts, keeping people on permanantly on short time hours or contracts is simply to benefit the employer, on top of that Dunnes record with employees isnt the best.
    Ive stopped shopping in Dunnes in the last while, Ive maintained boycotts of other organisations for poor customer service, one person might not be enough, but maybe if more customers voiced their opinions on Dunnes practices with their employees then they might at least become concerned about changing their ways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I worked in Dunnes for years when I was young and in College. It was not that bad a place to work from memory. Certainly was not the worst job I ever had. You were expected to put in a shift and the part timers that did not were usually let go. Saying that if one is working in Dunnes on a full time capacity stocking shelves and the like with no further ambition to do go into management or go into education, then I would wager that would have more to do with Job Satisfaction then anything else. Dunnes employ you on a contact with a min of 15 hours, that is all you are legally entitled to. If one is not happy with their job, then no one is forcing you to stay. If you think you cannot get another job, then that is your problem not Dunnes or someone else.

Dunnes may be acting up, but this seems to be a power grab by the unions in order to legislate for collective bargaining, which would be the worst thing to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ah, God (and Rand) be with the days where you could put unruly workers on a blacklist for daring to stand up for themselves.

jank wrote: »
    Dunnes employ you on a contact with a min of 15 hours, that is all you are legally entitled to.
    Who even disputes this?

If nobody disputes this, why does it keep reappearing in the discussion? It's like trying to debate unpaid internships with someone who thinks "but it's not illegal" is a valid argument in a debate about whether it should be illegal.

This kind of argument is a peculiarly unthinking, passive approach to political debate.

I quite well understand the need for flexible contracts in agriculture and the hospitality business, where there are huge seasonal variations in labour demands. But is anyone dumb enough to believe that an established groceries retailer has no idea whether it will need workers for 15 hours or 35 hours in a given week? That is incredibly naive.

Even if it were somehow true, a stable groceries business that is so incapable of predicting workers' hours would have to be grossly incompetent. Nobody is that stupid.

Ah, God (and Rand) be with the days where you could put unruly workers on a blacklist for daring to stand up for themselves.

Nothing to do with what I said.

Who even disputes this?

If nobody disputes this, why does it keep reappearing in the discussion? It's like trying to debate unpaid internships with someone who thinks "but it's not illegal" is a valid argument in a debate about whether it should be illegal.

This kind of argument is a peculiarly unthinking, passive approach to political debate.

I quite well understand the need for flexible contracts in agriculture and the hospitality business, where there are huge seasonal variations in labour demands. But is anyone dumb enough to believe that an established groceries retailer has no idea whether it will need workers for 15 hours or 35 hours in a given week? That is incredibly naive.

Even if it were somehow true, a stable groceries business that is so incapable of predicting workers' hours would have to be grossly incompetent. Nobody is that stupid.

Well because the employee has signed a contract with the employer that states they have 15 hours a week work. If they get more then that is up for negotiation.
    If an employe wanted full time hours in the first place then why sign a 15 hour contract?

Dunnes sell more than groceries these days, I think you know that. However, if or when Dunnes go down the route of Aldi or Lidl work practises then I think people will realise how good they have it. The nature of the business has changed and upper management has deemed it necessary to employ more causal workers.
    This is not exactly news.

There may be some valid grievances but as usual a lot of hot air thrown in the mix too.

I did business studies for the Junior Cert, and even then the course emphasised keeping employees happy.

yeah, that book also has a whole chapter on 'business ethics' that if anyone followed they'd lose money and be bankrupt in a week.

What if dunnes halfed the workforce and took on nobody new but gave the half left all 35 hour weeks , would that keep you all happy ? how do you think the half who got sacked would feel ?

Dunnes sell more than groceries these days
    Is the frying-pan, toaster and bathroom-furniture industry somehow more volatile than groceries? Daft point.

Nobody with two brain cells to rub together believes that Dunnes, or any large retailer, cannot predict its workforce needs over the medium term.

I worked in Dunnes for years when I was young and in College. It was not that bad a place to work from memory. Certainly was not the worst job I ever had. You were expected to put in a shift and the part timers that did not were usually let go. Saying that if one is working in Dunnes on a full time capacity stocking shelves and the like with no further ambition to do go into management or go into education, then I would wager that would have more to do with Job Satisfaction then anything else. Dunnes employ you on a contact with a min of 15 hours, that is all you are legally entitled to. If one is not happy with their job, then no one is forcing you to stay. If you think you cannot get another job, then that is your problem not Dunnes or someone else.

Dunnes may be acting up, but this seems to be a power grab by the unions in order to legislate for collective bargaining, which would be the worst thing to happen!
    excuses excuses excuses. dunnes are in the wrong. no amount of excuse making will change that. there is no power grab by the unions, thats just anti-union and anti-workers rights rubbish. legislating for collective bargaining, would be the right way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

excuses excuses excuses. dunnes are in the wrong. no amount of excuse making will change that. there is no power grab by the unions, thats just anti-union and anti-workers rights rubbish. legislating for collective bargaining, would be the right way to go.

Total rubbish mate, complete hyperbole, it's an industrial dispute,there are probBly faults on both sides as in any dispute.

To come out with that kind of rubbish weakens your case.

Advertisement