Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes workers to strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Tugboats wrote: »
    @Eric Cartman is there a reason why you have over 25 posts in the thread as you don't seem to work in Dunnes from what ive read?

I only heard about the strike today and popped in here to see what the story was. As it doesn't directly involve me I don't think i could dedicate over 25posts to the thread:confused:

I support Irish business and don't want to see another one go down the tubes at the hands of greedy lecherous unions. A thread always needs balance, I am the balance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I support Irish business and don't want to see another one go down the tubes at the hands of greedy lecherous unions. A thread always needs balance, I am the balance.

How would Dunnes go down the tubes?:confused: Union suits meet the Dunnes suits and end up agreeing a deal which may slightly help the worker without impacting the business too greatly. Both parties declare victory then retreat to the bar and a have a good night with the members Union sub money.

As you said previously if Dunnes are pushed into a bad deal for the company below happens and Dunnes is fine :confused:.
    please explain to all of the staff there less than a year that they will be losing their jobs if dunnes give in to that. agreeing a minimum of 25 hours for all of you will cause job losses.

How would Dunnes go down the tubes?:confused: Union suits meet the Dunnes suits and end up agreeing a deal which may slightly help the worker without impacting the business too greatly. Both parties declare victory then retreat to the bar and a have a good night with the members Union sub money.

As you said previously if Dunnes are pushed into a bad deal for the company below happens and Dunnes is fine :confused:.

a slippery slope mate.

this time around dunnes agree to 25 hours contracts , all the newcomers sacked as the money isn't there to keep them. so theres less staff, they can't hire anyone new until the budget allows for 25 hours of work , staffing levels stagnate and the same levels of service can't be maintained, standards slip and dunnes lose some customers.

dunnes becomes an effectively 'unionised' business. So now the union takes another stab looking for more holiday days dunnes can't afford, looking for higher wages the second ireland experiences any inflation , looking to not have staff work sundays. Either more layoffs to pay for this or no pay increases for staff. standards slip further and more staff and customers leave.

rinse … repeat until dunnes can no longer compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,157 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

@Eric Cartman is there a reason why you have over 25 posts in the thread as you don't seem to work in Dunnes from what ive read?

I only heard about the strike today and popped in here to see what the story was. As it doesn't directly involve me I don't think i could dedicate over 25posts to the thread:confused:

Don't know why you are confused, if you haven't heard of the strike until today I'll have to say that's strange. I don't work for Dunnes either but have an interest in these events.

Would appear to me anyway that Dunnes workers while they may have some specific issues are generally in favour of the current conditions.

To me there seems to be a bit of Unions flexing their 'muscles' on this.

a slippery slope mate.

this time around dunnes agree to 25 hours contracts , all the newcomers sacked as the money isn't there to keep them. so theres less staff, they can't hire anyone new until the budget allows for 25 hours of work , staffing levels stagnate and the same levels of service can't be maintained, standards slip and dunnes lose some customers.

dunnes becomes an effectively 'unionised' business. So now the union takes another stab looking for more holiday days dunnes can't afford, looking for higher wages the second ireland experiences any inflation , looking to not have staff work sundays. Either more layoffs to pay for this or no pay increases for staff. standards slip further and more staff and customers leave.

rinse … repeat until dunnes can no longer compete.

Head over to the conspiracy theory forum you're embarrassing yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Dunnes have been gouging their customers, workers and suppliers for years.

Didn't they sack workers in the 80s for refusing to handle South African apartheid goods?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Dunnes have been gouging their customers, workers and suppliers for years.

Didn't they sack workers in the 80s for refusing to handle South African apartheid goods?

how have they been gouging suppliers ? I always found their prices alright aswell. they're no lidl but it does the job.

also why wouldn't they, business isn't about morality , if a worker won't handle something I sell, they won't be my employee for much longer.

Don't know why you are confused, if you haven't heard of the strike until today I'll have to say that's strange. I don't work for Dunnes either but have an interest in these events.

Would appear to me anyway that Dunnes workers while they may have some specific issues are generally in favour of the current conditions.

To me there seems to be a bit of Unions flexing their 'muscles' on this.

I explained clearly why I'm confused.

Of course the unions are flexing a bit of muscle thats how it works. I already explained to Cartman how business and Unions work. For both sides Staff are the cash cow. They both flex muscles and both claim victories. Deals are done for the benefit of Dunnes and the Union not the staff. Dunnes have to be a little less naughty, unions get their subs from happy members and their Officials and Shop stewards get a christmas hamper every year. Dunnes arent going out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 7 loho

This whole situation is seriously messed up. To be up front I'm a manager with Dunnes and the stuff that has been going is crazy.

There are a lot of staff very confused and a lot that dont want to go on strike. The main issues I see from my point of view are:

The union have been issuing a lot of false info. One of these is that staff in Dunnes are on zero hour contracts and that people are being employed on temporary contracts. That is completely untrue and yet they are accusing Dunnes of telling lies to the staff.

Things I've seen and heard going on in our store and other stores are members of staff being told that if they come into work the day of the strike they'll just be sent home and wont be paid. Also have heard that people were told they wouldnt be insured to be on the premises. Staff have also been told that if they come into work they will be abused and ostracised. People who have no experience of unions have been told that they have to be part of union if they work with Dunnes and been handed a form which they HAD to sign. When they have then found out and put it to the union that they were lied to and signed up under false pretenses the union have said tough and oh if you leave you'll never be allowed to join any union ever again. With all of this going on they have accused Dunnes of intimidation.

There has been all this talk that Dunnes staff cant get mortgages so presumably there are no property owners among the Dunnes flexi staff???

There have been union meetings where members of staff who questioned the union and this strike have been completely shot down or removed. And they want to play the moral high ground on communicating with their members.

I wont pretend that Dunnes is the perfect company to work for but the union in this case are leading a campaign of false info. If Dunnes is really as bad as they want people to think then they should be able to base it completely on fact and without intimidation or fear. Their members deserve more from them for their weekly payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there are no greedy lecherous unions. the job of the unions is to protect workers from those who share your type of opinion, to ensure rights standards and good terms and conditions are held up. we don't need a balance, its our job and duty to side with the workers

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

how have they been gouging suppliers ? I always found their prices alright aswell. they're no lidl but it does the job.

also why wouldn't they, business isn't about morality , if a worker won't handle something I sell, they won't be my employee for much longer.
    well, they would have been better off. those workers should have put dunnes out of business for sacking them and effectively condoning south africas racist apartheid state

loho wrote: »
    This whole situation is seriously messed up. To be up front I'm a manager with Dunnes and the stuff that has been going is crazy.

There are a lot of staff very confused and a lot that dont want to go on strike. The main issues I see from my point of view are:

The union have been issuing a lot of false info. One of these is that staff in Dunnes are on zero hour contracts and that people are being employed on temporary contracts. That is completely untrue and yet they are accusing Dunnes of telling lies to the staff.

Things I've seen and heard going on in our store and other stores are members of staff being told that if they come into work the day of the strike they'll just be sent home and wont be paid. Also have heard that people were told they wouldnt be insured to be on the premises. Staff have also been told that if they come into work they will be abused and ostracised. People who have no experience of unions have been told that they have to be part of union if they work with Dunnes and been handed a form which they HAD to sign. When they have then found out and put it to the union that they were lied to and signed up under false pretenses the union have said tough and oh if you leave you'll never be allowed to join any union ever again. With all of this going on they have accused Dunnes of intimidation.

There has been all this talk that Dunnes staff cant get mortgages so presumably there are no property owners among the Dunnes flexi staff???

There have been union meetings where members of staff who questioned the union and this strike have been completely shot down or removed. And they want to play the moral high ground on communicating with their members.

I wont pretend that Dunnes is the perfect company to work for but the union in this case are leading a campaign of false info. If Dunnes is really as bad as they want people to think then they should be able to base it completely on fact and without intimidation or fear. Their members deserve more from them for their weekly payment.

Hi Margaret. My sister is looking for a summer job. Any chance you could sort her out?

I have to also question the timing of this. We are coming out of recession, the retail trade is still shaky. How does threatening business at this time serve a purpose for either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

15 hours is the minimum contract- bringing in staff for 3 hour shifts- How is that economical or fair?

The retail trade has done better than most. Penny's recorded surplus profits so the staff git a bonus.

Dunnes don't publish results so we can't say how they are doing

They had a row with Revenue and now don't sell bags that incur the charge. This means you must pay 80c as a customer if you want to buy one

Eric what about the Irish Suppliers Dunnes have put out of business?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's this sort of attitude that prevails amongst the likes of sweatshops and Foxconn right now.

Thats terrible, but Im afraid not surprising. Standard union fear mongering and lies.
    there are no greedy lecherous unions. the job of the unions is to protect workers from those who share your type of opinion, to ensure rights standards and good terms and conditions are held up. we don't need a balance, its our job and duty to side with the workers
    This is actually the most naive post I've ever seen.
    well, they would have been better off. those workers should have put dunnes out of business for sacking them and effectively condoning south africas racist apartheid state
    Huggies nappies, nestle,coca cola, intel, starbucks, - using those products is condoning the effective genocide happening against palestinians at the hands of israel. I don't like it but ill still use the products.
    efb wrote: »
    Eric what about the Irish Suppliers Dunnes have put out of business?
    examples ?
    It's this sort of attitude that prevails amongst the likes of sweatshops and Foxconn right now.
    Sweatshops are a necessary part of our world to access cheap consumer goods. If you don't like sweatshops start buying very high end goods and you'll see the price difference.

The most naive post on this thread is you believing everything the "manager" from Dunnes said in their first ever post:rolleyes:

Thats terrible, but Im afraid not surprising. Standard union fear mongering and lies.

Huggies nappies, nestle,coca cola, intel, starbucks, - using those products is condoning the effective genocide happening against palestinians at the hands of israel. I don't like it but ill still use the products.

examples ?

Sweatshops are a necessary part of our world to access cheap consumer goods. If you don't like sweatshops start buying very high end goods and you'll see the price difference.
    management can lie also, if not more then a union ever could. sweat shops aren't necessary and all atempts to rid of the world of them at all costs must happen. employers abusing their workers and those who condone it are a stain on our world

The most naive post on this thread is you believing everything the "manager" from Dunnes said in their first ever post:rolleyes:

Ive seen a duck before , somebody describes a duck , the description matches what ive seen, safe to assume theyre talking about a duck, that dunnes manager is describing what ive seen countless times from unions in the past, it having happend hundreds of times over in this country its very safe to assume its the truth

• Advertisement

Ok I'll clarify. Yes it is my first post. I have referred to boards.ie. Never felt need to set up account because I wasn't bothering posting but this is something I have first hand experience with.

I am not anti-union per se. I do think a lot of good things came out of the last strike 20 years ago. My question is if Dunnes are so bad, if there are so many issues then why can't this campaign based on those rather than stuff that isn't true. Why is it that there are people going out on strike who have no real understanding of why they're doing it other than the union told them they had to do it.

There is one undeniable fact. This is personal. For Mandate Dunnes is Moby Dick, the great white whale to be persued even if it is to the detrement of its own members.

If Mandate are so concerned about retailers having low hour contracts then why are they not going after Lidl with their 8 hour contracts or a number of English clothing retailers who actually do have zero hour contracts or 4 hour contracts.

Also there are a number of stores that have pulled out of this strike completely. The union answer to this is to take people from other stores to picket outside the doors of the stores that want nothing to do with a strike. A number of staff from one of these stores have set up their own facebook page attesting to this fact.

Ok I'll clarify. Yes it is my first post. I have referred to boards.ie. Never felt need to set up account because I wasn't bothering posting but this is something I have first hand experience with.

I am not anti-union per se. I do think a lot of good things came out of the last strike 20 years ago. My question is if Dunnes are so bad, if there are so many issues then why can't this campaign based on those rather than stuff that isn't true. Why is it that there are people going out on strike who have no real understanding of why they're doing it other than the union told them they had to do it.

There is one undeniable fact. This is personal. For Mandate Dunnes is Moby Dick, the great white whale to be persued even if it is to the detrement of its own members.

If Mandate are so concerned about retailers having low hour contracts then why are they not going after Lidl with their 8 hour contracts or a number of English clothing retailers who actually do have zero hour contracts or 4 hour contracts.

As a manager of a store in Dunnes are you doing anything about the "threats" , "bullying" and "intimidation" that some of your staff have received in your store by the union and their supporters apart from telling us about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Speaking of naïve, expensive clothes aren't guaranteed to be free of sweatshop labour. It took me twenty seconds to find out whether Spreadshirt uses such labour, and they do their damnedest to avoid using it. The same goes for Redbubble.

Are there staff in your store on 3 hour shifts?

Speaking of naïve, expensive clothes aren't guaranteed to be free of sweatshop labour. It took me twenty seconds to find out whether Spreadshirt uses such labour, and they do their damnedest to avoid using it. The same goes for Redbubble.

they charge 20 quid for a tshirt, i can get one in tesco for 7 (or even 4 quid if I want a plain one). You very much pay the price to avoid sweatshops, its a price I'm not willing to pay.

i can get one in tesco for 7
    I support Irish business.

My question is if Dunnes are so bad, if there are so many issues then why can't this campaign based on those rather than stuff that isn't true.

well i'm afraid, the staff seem to disagree, it obviously is true otherwise they wouldn't be striking. i'm sure the other issues you talk about are being dealt with as well.
    Why is it that there are people going out on strike who have no real understanding of why they're doing it other than the union told them they had to do it.

i don't buy that such a thing is happening

well in fairness dunnes does have a reputation so its not surprising it is personal.

i'm sure they are going after them as well. maybe we will hear about it maybe we won't
    Also there are a number of stores that have pulled out of this strike completely. The union answer to this is to take people from other stores to picket outside the doors of the stores that want nothing to do with a strike. A number of staff from one of these stores have set up their own facebook page attesting to this fact.
    that is standard procedure during a strike. a necessary evil i'm afraid

now your just being picky , I can get a tshirt in dunnes for a 10er or less too.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    Are there staff in your store on 3 hour shifts?

Yes there are but they are what we refer to as evening/weekends. They are on short shifts because of the limitations that they put on themselves e.g. they are students who are only available to come in for a few hrs in the evening or there are women who for childcare reasons work around husbands / partners.

Advertisement