Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,442 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pangea wrote: »
    Excellent thanks, never heard of mk5 or the mark 6 either.

Volkswagen-Golf-crosses-30-millionth-production-milestone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Got the bonnet open!

Quick Guide is to pop the kidneys. Gives you access to the passenger side bonnet latch. Pull the cable from there.

Took out the drivers indicator and pulled the cable there and it popped the drivers side!

10 mins work.
    At least I've access until the cable comes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

jimgoose wrote: »
    Quite. They were an interesting bit of kit insofar as they had the normal four-stroke arrangement, but the fuel/air/oil was inducted via the crankcase, like a two-stroke.

In a module last year in college we spent a few lectures going through wankel and radial rotary engines as well as your standard petrol and diesel internal combustion engines it was quite interesting.

Although looking back it wasn't very relevant as it was a thermodynamics module so it wasn't as if any questions about these engines would come up on the exam. But then we had a mechanical engineer as our lecture so I think he just felt hard done by and didn't want to talk about thermo all the time :)

1.6 Tdi hatchback golf match the ad says

They are a step above the entry level s model. So they generally have cruise control, alloys, parking sensors, leather steering wheel, ipod connectivity, auto light and wipers, trip computer. Bear in mind they only came on uk cars so it won't be irish. The closest irish equivalent spec would be comfortline althought they are not the exact same. Would also normally come with the 105bhp output where as the basic specs were 90bhp although it is the same 1.6tdi engine just one is detuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thats great guys thanks, I was looking at this match http://goo.gl/zYEC5I1
    Im looking for my first car, and that looks pretty good to my amateur eyes, pricey but its only three years old. Only thing it looks quite normal on the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,442 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You should do a history check if you're serious about buying, (after test drive, but before buying)

Thats great guys thanks, I was looking at this match http://goo.gl/zYEC5I
    Im looking for my first car, and that looks pretty good to my amateur eyes, pricey but its only three years old. Only thing it looks quite normal on the outside.

Tbh 16k is a fairly good price for that car I'm suprised they are not looking for more. There are still plenty of 2010 reg making 13-14k. Most garages would advertise that for closer to 18k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Got my car back, happy happy happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Got my car back, happy happy happy :D

Working well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Working well?

Yep! It'd pull the clothes off you now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

4 pot petrol is the 1.8. Tspark. Best mpg and no silly balance belts.
    However the best engines in the 156 is the busso v6, followed closely by the 5 cylinder 2.4 jtd.

If you can get your hands on a busso with history buy it. Very hard to find a good busso

Asked a fiat/alfa mechanic this evening. He recomended the 2.0. Said the 1.6/1.8 are a bit highly strung and 2.0 has a bigger crank and more power low down
    . I do alot of motorway driving up and down the country so maybe he thought its the best option there of the three. That make sense? Mentioned he'd like the v6 and that they're rare too
    or ideally put in a fiat coupe 2.0 20v turbo engine and box!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Does it bug anyone when you buy a car imported from the UK that it shows mph in the speedometer? I can imagine it would.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

dorgasm wrote: »
    Lovely, I'll give them a call. Tried Campion and the lad on the phone told me that it's not worth either of our time having them try? Bizarre phone call from them.

Let us know how they compare to your other quote.

Does it bug anyone when you buy a car imported from the UK that it shows mph in the speedometer? I can imagine it would.

It does.
    Unless someone has changed the dials out.
    It would normally have a secondary display of km/hr if that's worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

What app?

There's a boards app available on the playstore!

Driving the Yaris again until Saturday morning while the 5 gets the bumpers done. DO. NOT. WANT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ah what are ya on about. Big upgrade so it is :pac:

Ah what are ya on about. Big upgrade so it is :pac:

It's a disaster, it needs new tyres, everything rattles, no radio, no cassette to Aux. No comfort. No power. No Auto. Kill me now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

No Auto.

Is this a problem? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

There's a boards app available on the playstore!

Has it been updated lately? Used it before and remembered it not having some important features I used.

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote: »
    Is this a problem? :eek:

Oh God yah, I ain't some form of peasant with yer manuals :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Peasant or not I reckon a manual yaris is less depressing than a slushy one.. Ain't driven one but I doubt it would have the refinement or sophistication of the kettle's box :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Peasant or not I reckon a manual yaris is less depressing than a slushy one.. Ain't driven one but I doubt it would have the refinement or sophistication of the kettle's box :pac:

He's right, Norm - be careful what you wish for. With an autobox that thing probably wouldn't pull you up the Airport Hill! :pac:

Ah I'm telling you you're missing out not having a manual on that engine :)

Cheensbo wrote: »

Jesus don't be saying that. The only thing better than an auto Yaris is an auto Yaris on fire.
    He's right, Norm - be careful what you wish for. With an autobox that thing probably wouldn't pull you up the Airport Hill! :pac:

I'd give the AA a call for a push :pac:
    YbFocus wrote: »
    Ah I'm telling you you're missing out not having a manual on that engine :)

Don't worry, I plan on getting a Manual E34 as a project and of course the car I want after the 525i only comes in Manual :)

Driving the Yaris again until Saturday morning while the 5 gets the bumpers done. DO. NOT. WANT.

I was in a yaris once I didn't like it :pac:

Ah no what I couldn't get over was it felt like you were going so fast at about 60kmh at 100kmh it just felt dangerous fast :)

Bpmull wrote: »
    I was in a yaris once I didn't like it...

Did anyone else read that in a "James May" voice?? :pac:

Did anyone else read that in a "James May" voice?? :pac:

Oh sod off you pillock!

YbFocus wrote: »
    Oh sod off you pillock!

Permission to say "Oh cock!!"? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i drove a yaris for years. thought it was great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement