Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

i drove a yaris for years. thought it was great.

Ah but yours was well maintained :pac: and an RS to be fair :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

YbFocus wrote: »
    Oh sod off you pillock!

Nah, he wouldn't remember because he was blind drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mate arrived the other day in a 3 door Micra,his new car.I actually felt embarassed for him.His logic is that it will save him a tenner a week on fuel-he wouldn't tell me what he paid but similar are €3-€4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

zerks wrote: »
    Mate arrived the other day in a 3 door Micra,his new car.I actually felt embarassed for him.His logic is that it will save him a tenner a week on fuel-he wouldn't tell me what he paid but similar are €3-€4k.

if he came from a 1.6 car, he's saving around €1 a day in tax too. so he's saving roughly €1k a year between tax and fuel. he's just saved 6% of his yearly income if he's on minimum wage, i might spare him the embarrassment, particularly if he isn't a motoring enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Guys do you think its foolish to spend some of your savings on a car, say 15K? Im looking for my first car, and a friend of mine said id be mad to waste savings on it, but the way my circumstances are at the moment I wouldnt qualify for a loan but now is the time to get a car and I want a pretty decent one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Plenty decent and enjoyable cars for less if circumstances are temporary...

edit - as long as you don't need diesel...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

depends on a lot of things, but i wouldn't rule it out. if you can afford it, i suppose the bottom line is to go for it, just remember you are buying a depreciating asset.

the most foolish thing imo is spending 15k on it. i'd spend 3 or 4 and get something fairly ok and if i don't wreck it after 6 months, then spend more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Pangea wrote: »
    Guys do you think its foolish to spend some of your savings on a car, say 15K? Im looking for my first car, and a friend of mine said id be mad to waste savings on it, but the way my circumstances are at the moment I wouldnt qualify for a loan but now is the time to get a car and I want a pretty decent one.

If I had 15k in savings but couldn't get a loan, the last think I'd do is spend the bulk of my savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Pangea wrote: »

I was in the exact same position as you a year ago. I was going out buying my first car and it was a 2002 Corolla. Insurance came back at a crazy price which meant I couldnt get insured on it. Now that I look back at it, it was probably the best thing that happened. Over the past year Ive been able to save my money and now Im in the process of buying a 2009 Volkswagen!

Basically what Im saying is that if you have the money and your happy with it, then go for it. Keep in mind how much you will have to spend on tax, insurance etc. .. And you dont want to clear your bank account on a car! (I nearly made that mistake:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

IMO don't blow all your savings. If you've got 15k in the bank you'll have no problem getting a CU loan. Spend 5 / 6k on a car plus cover a years tax and insurance.

Leave the balance in the bank / CU and let it earn interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

beertons wrote: »
    Let us know how they compare to your other quote.

They got back to me today. Couldn't beat my renewal :( Liberty are the only ones who can beat it but they don't have the 'drive any car' benefit that Aviva gives me.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    IMO don't blow all your savings. If you've got 15k in the bank you'll have no problem getting a CU loan. Spend 5 / 6k on a car plus cover a years tax and insurance.

Leave the balance in the bank / CU and let it earn interest.

Feck all interest but always good to have rainy day money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Feck all interest but always good to have rainy day money.

For sure but it's better than nout.

If I won 100k on the lotto tomorrow I'd buy a rake of stuff on finance rather than buying straight and being left with nothing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

dorgasm wrote: »
    They got back to me today. Couldn't beat my renewal :( Liberty are the only ones who can beat it but they don't have the 'drive any car' benefit that Aviva gives me.

Feck. Sorry bout that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Only noticed this evening that my parking lights look quite yellow compared to the new dipped h7 I got a few weeks ago. They are ring ultima which are more or less equivalent to nightbreakers it's just I couldn't get nightbreakers at the time. Looking now Id say they are even whiter than the nightbreakers they are certainly as good but I have a feeling they won't last as long only time will tell that only 3 or 4k km on them so far.

dorgasm wrote: »

Back when I was looking at getting a golf car a while ago I rang Liberty for a quote and the guy said to me I would be covered to drive other cars if I had taken out the policy they were the cheapest in my case although I didn't get the car in the end so never got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Now and again when i turn the car i hear this loud clunk from the driveshafts, this is not good :o

Now and again when i turn the car i hear this loud clunk from the driveshafts, this is not good :o

Turn up the radio be grand. I find the radio is a great device which hides a multitude of car problems :)

Is this the 95 it's sh!t that there is something else wrong after doing so much to it hopefully it will be a small easy fix.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Turn up the radio be grand. I find the radio is a great device which hides a multitude of car problems :)

Is this the 95 it's sh!t that there is something else wrong after doing so much to it hopefully it will be a small easy fix.

If anythign i have the radio off now so i can tell where its coming from and i can get a better idea of it, yeah its the 95, it's a pain in the arse now to be honest so I'll have a proper look during the weekend, or before it falls off :o

Only noticed this evening that my parking lights look quite yellow compared to the new dipped h7 I got a few weeks ago. They are ring ultima which are more or less equivalent to nightbreakers it's just I couldn't get nightbreakers at the time. Looking now Id say they are even whiter than the nightbreakers they are certainly as good but I have a feeling they won't last as long only time will tell that only 3 or 4k km on them so far.

Halfords laser blue sidelights match up to Nightbreaker. Laser blue not ultra blue. Any chinese sh1t LED bulbs are likely to be skanger fleabay blue.

Osram and Philips do proper led sidelight bulbs 4000k and 6000k but they are pricey.

• Advertisement

Halfords laser blue sidelights match up to Nightbreaker. Laser blue not ultra blue. Any chinese sh1t LED bulbs are likely to be skanger fleabay blue.

Osram and Philips do proper led sidelight bulbs 4000k and 6000k but they are pricey.

Will the halfords ones work with a canbus system so you don't get blown bulb warnings.

Will the halfords ones work with a canbus system so you don't get blown bulb warnings.

They should do yeah, I sold a set to a guy in a 530d the other day and he didnt get any warnings

They should do yeah, I sold a set to a guy in a 530d the other day and he didnt get any warnings

Are they very blue looking or more white in colour ?

Are they very blue looking or more white in colour ?

I stuck them in during the day so couldnt really tell, but they looked white enough, crispy like! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

beertons wrote: »
    Feck. Sorry bout that.

No need to be sorry, was worth a go.

Just back in from changing out my rear brake pad wear sensor as per advice I got here. Absolute piece of piss and it's one more warning light down, two to go :)

The ones I'm thinking of are old school filament bulbs so should be fine if replacing other filament bulbs. If it's leds you need your car has from factoey then it's too advanced for me. No canbus bulb warning sh1t in my yoke.

The ones I'm thinking of are old school filament bulbs so should be fine if replacing other filament bulbs. If it's leds you need your car has from factoey then it's too advanced for me. No canbus bulb warning sh1t in my yoke.

You're best off without it really sometimes

I stuck them in during the day so couldnt really tell, but they looked white enough, crispy like! :pac:

Laser blue looks blue in the packet, white when lit. Ultra blue has that "fleabay skanger" tinge.

I've the laser blue put in her car to match nightbreakers. Osram ledriving 4000k in mine cos it's a half hour job to change sidelights. And they are satisfyingly geeky.

You're best off without it really sometimes

Neither car blows bulbs all that often. Even the nightbreakers on front. Some rear bulbs are still factory at 10+ years. Don't see the value in the bulb warning thing really unless it was wired to some kinda random electrical shock system for people who won't replace headlights.

• Advertisement

Neither car blows bulbs all that often. Even the nightbreakers on front. Some rear bulbs are still factory at 10+ years. Don't see the value in the bulb warning thing really unless it was wired to some kinda random electrical shock system for people who won't replace headlights.

Haha thats it, like its useful sometimes, like if your coolant is low or something like that, but if a light goes out you're gona see it like, unless its the back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement