Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Couples.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

true567 wrote: »
    Whereas with overpopulation and climate change the laws will make actual change because there is no human social aspect with carbon emissions, or birthrate regulations- it is clearly demarcated.

Are you seriously trying to claim there would be no social impact to implementing the likes of a one child only policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

kneemos wrote: »
    If we're all so pro gay marriage and liberal about being gay how often do you see a gay couple holding hands or kissing in your town or village?

This seems like a real non sequitur. What does it matter how many gay couples one sees in public? Does a group need to have got to a certain number before they get to have equal rights? What about albinos? How many of them do you see everyday? Yet everyday I go to work, come home tired in the evening and struggling to pay the bills, only for my hard-earned tax money to be wasted on the cost of albinos being allowed to get married like normal people. I'd love to see the figures for albino marriage for 2014, I'm sure the churches and registry offices were full of them, sure don't we all see hordes of them all dolled up for their weddings every day :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,748 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Anyway.....! To answer the OP, no it's not something I'd ever see myself. Do agree though that this obsession with all-things-gay on this forum lately is getting ridiculous.. I'd say most people don't care either way to be honest

It reminds me of a scene in The Simpsons where they're watching a Pride parade and the chants of "we're here, we're queer, get used to it!" are answered by Lisa saying "You do this every year, we ARE used to it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i remember back in the 80s in my hometown there was this guy who came out as gay and was sharing a house with his male partner

he was also a scout leader and when all the parents found about it they decided to pull their kids out of the local scout club....thats how closed minded ireland used to be back then (still is in some parts)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fryup wrote: »
    i remember back in the 80s in my hometown there was this guy who came out as gay

he was also a scout leader and when all the parents found about it they decided to pull their kids out of the local scout club....thats how closed minded ireland used to be back then (still is in some parts)

I'd say that would still happen now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i was in france last week in a restaurant having some dinner and two ladies sat down beside us and were very open with their feelings for each other, regular kicking, touching each other etc etc.

probably wouldnt see it here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

i was in france last week in a restaurant having some dinner and two ladies sat down beside us and were very open with their feelings for each other, regular kicking, touching each other etc etc.

probably wouldnt see it here

You wouldn't because France is a completely different culture to Ireland, where pretty much nobody is openly affectionate, and nobody really is going around on the lookout for people who are openly affectionate, whether they be homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, pansexual, whatever.

It's got very little to do with people who are homosexual being afraid to be open about it. Most people no matter what their sexuality simply have better things to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm very much a live and let live type of person - but I find the whole idea of the gay pride march to be entirely questionable. Why would being gay be a source of pride? What's to be proud about?
    Don't get me wrong it's nothing to be ashamed of either. But being proud to be gay is much the same as being proud to be white, or proud to be black - utterly idiotic. You had no choice, you didn't achieve anything - you just happen to like the same gender. It makes just as much sense as being proud of the fact that you like custard creams.
    You're gay, straight, bi - whatever, who cares - if that's the most interesting thing about you, what you need is a personality not a fúcking parade!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dont read them then. Its simple really.

It's impossible to ignore them there's that many and most of them needless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'm very much a live and let live type of person - but...........

Yea, really sounds like that alright :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I occasionally see gay couples around college holding hands or being affectionate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

You wouldn't because France is a completely different culture to Ireland, where pretty much nobody is openly affectionate, and nobody really is going around on the lookout for people who are openly affectionate, whether they be homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, pansexual, whatever.

It's got very little to do with people who are homosexual being afraid to be open about it. Most people no matter what their sexuality simply have better things to be doing.

You think it has very little to do with that in small town Ireland? I'd be interested in hearing their experience on this. 10 years ago I saw a gay couple get cans thrown at them in Dublin City centre - and that's in the country's capital where people are supposed to be the most open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

I'm very much a live and let live type of person - but I find the whole idea of the gay pride march to be entirely questionable. Why would being gay be a source of pride? What's to be proud about?
    Don't get me wrong it's nothing to be ashamed of either. But being proud to be gay is much the same as being proud to be white, or proud to be black - utterly idiotic. You had no choice, you didn't achieve anything - you just happen to like the same gender. It makes just as much sense as being proud of the fact that you like custard creams.
    You're gay, straight, bi - whatever, who cares - if that's the most interesting thing about you, what you need is a personality not a fúcking parade!

Your not allowed to say this on Boards. If your not totally 100% supportive of the idea that the LGBT community are suffering widespread persecution on an apocalyptic scale then your a homophobe.

road_high wrote: »
    Yea, really sounds like that alright :D

I am. I have no problem with anyones sexuality. I have gay friends - it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I'm just of the opinion that being proud of something you have no choice in is every bit as idiotic as being ashamed of it.
    I'm neither ashamed of or proud of my sexuality - I didn't choose it, it just turned up all by itself. I don't choose to find women attractive - it's not something I work at or have honed down the years. It's not a source of pride by any stretch of the imagination. I think it really should be the same for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Your not allowed to say this on Boards. If your not totally 100% supportive of the idea that the LGBT community are suffering widespread persecution on an apocalyptic scale then your a homophobe.

It's all party of the pc brigade (with sexy fireman) gay agenda - item 4

I am. I have no problem with anyones sexuality. I have gay friends - it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I'm just of the opinion that being proud of something you have no choice in is every bit as idiotic as being ashamed of it.
    I'm neither ashamed of or proud of my sexuality - I didn't choose it, it just turned up all by itself. I don't choose to find women attractive - it's not something I work at or have honed down the years. It's not a source of pride by any stretch of the imagination. I think it really should be the same for everyone else.

It's when you were told these feelings are something to feel shame about- you reverse it and take pride in them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You think it has very little to do with that in small town Ireland? I'd be interested in hearing their experience on this. 10 years ago I saw a gay couple get cans thrown at them in Dublin City centre - and that's in the country's capital where people are supposed to be the most open.

I think that's the key phrase in your post there, is that really it's all down to the individuals perception. I mean, I came from village in the arsehole of nowhere, where two lads living together nobody gave a fiddlers as long as they were able to do the farmwork the same as everyone else. They just didn't talk about being gay. Then there was a neighbour up the road who lived on his own, never mixed in the community, I used go round delivering the St. Martins magazine and I'd usually go in for tea and a chat with him. Being a curious sort at the time I asked him how come he never went out. He told me he was gay and that people round here would never accept him (this was like 30 years back), and I just felt terrible for him that he felt he had to isolate himself like that.

I hadn't actually given my sexuality much thought myself until I moved from arsehole of nowhere village into town -

You're making the assumption that heterosexual people always identified as heterosexual. I can at least tell you from my own experience that as a child I identified far more comfortably with assuming I was homosexual, and my sexual identity wasn't that big a deal to me personally. But as I grew into my teens, that's when the trouble really started as up to that point I'd always thought of myself as attracted to males, and there was nothing really happened to question that. That was of course until all sorts of hormones kicked in and I began to realise I was sexually attracted to women. Your "shame in a heteronormative society" was never an issue for me until I began to experience the complete opposite mental framework that I struggled with throughout my teens tbh.

And then when I moved to the city, well, as you say, a person could be forgiven for thinking people in cities are more open and accepting of diversity and so on, but it's a double-edged sword IMO. In the same way as people feel they have more freedom to be themselves, by that same token, there's plenty more people are intimidated by other people who they perceive as different to themselves, and that's why you'll get people throwing cans at other people, or a woman beaten up by a group of girls when she tries to defend her son, or two young girls viciously assaulted and beaten as they made their way home through the city centre after a nightclub.

That kind of violence wouldn't really be seen in a small town where there's generally a more... almost "unsaid" acknowledgement of people who are gay, it's just not really talked about, people are more civil because they share a smaller space, and the bigger the space such as in a city, people express themselves more, but that has both it's positive, and negative effects.

efb wrote: »
    It's when you were told these feelings are something to feel shame about- you reverse it and take pride in them

I can understand that to an extent.
    But it's still kind of in the 2 wrongs don't make a right school for me! maybe I'm just too hung up on the word pride - I just can't see sexuality as being a source of pride or shame one way or the other.
    Just because someone told you something incorrect, doesn't mean that whatever equally incorrect you do in return is somehow magically transformed into being right.

I can understand that to an extent.
    But it's still kind of in the 2 wrongs don't make a right school for me! maybe I'm just too hung up on the word pride - I just can't see sexuality as being a source of pride or shame one way or the other.
    Just because someone told you something incorrect, doesn't mean that whatever equally incorrect you do in return is somehow magically transformed into being right.

I am proud of being man - not my decision
    I'm proud of being an uncle
    I'm pround of being gay

I don't see why I can't be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I caused a bit of consternation here once when I said I'm proud to be straight.

A certain boardsie took umbridge with me saying that. It was as though I shouldn't be allowed to say that, or that me saying I'm proud to be heterosexual somehow impinges on his right to be proud of his homosexuality. Complete nonsense of course but it left me thinking that some in the gay community actually claim a monopoly on the word pride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

As an obviously downtrodden group here and around the world there seems to be a certain amount of antipathy towards them.
    I'd have thought we'd be more supportive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 LookLordSugar

Seem to see more lezzers going around holding hands etc than male gays. I guess you're more likely To get a slap if you're a man doing it.

Lapin wrote: »
    I caused a bit of consternation here once when I said I'm proud to be straight.

A certain boardsie took umbridge with me saying that. It was as though I shouldn't be allowed to say that, or that me saying I'm proud to be heterosexual somehow impinges on his right to be proud of his homosexuality. Complete nonsense of course but it left me thinking that some in the gay community actually claim a monopoly on the word pride.

I'll bring it up at the next meeting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭BD45

Seem to see more lezzers going around holding hands etc than male gays. I guess you're more likely To get a slap if you're a man doing it.

Noticed that too. Good looking girls too rather than dykes. Anyway being gay is cool and trendy now. I'd say you'll have no trouble as long as you act like a normal man and don't prance around like an attention seeking queen.

efb wrote: »
    I am proud of being man - not my decision
    I'm proud of being an uncle
    I'm pround of being gay

I don't see why I can't be

Are you proud of your eye colour? Your height? Are you proud of your feet? Your elbows? If not - why not.

You being proud to be gay is no more sensible than being ashamed to be a Gemini.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Are you proud of your eye colour? Your height? Are you proud of your feet? Your elbows? If not - why not.

You being proud to be gay is no more sensible than being ashamed to be a Gemini.

As a marginalised group it makes perfect sense.

I explained before, it was used to demonise people, saying it was wrong- there is nothing wrong with bring gay!

I've no problem telling the world I'm left handed either- we were children of Satan St one point! More superstitious nonsense used to bully people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

BD45 wrote: »
    Noticed that too. Good looking girls too rather than dykes. Anyway being gay is cool and trendy now. I'd say you'll have no trouble as long as you act like a normal man and don't prance around like an attention seeking queen.

"Speaking out of my arse for a moment".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

kneemos wrote: »
    As a marginalised group it makes perfect sense.

Stop playing the "poor me" card and be proud of who you are and what you are or you will never move on. I have several relations who are gay and they don't constantly have to state that they are. They just get on with it and are treated the same as I am. There is no difference really.

• Advertisement

Stop playing the "poor me" card and be proud of who you are and what you are or you will never move on. I have several relations who are gay and they don't constantly have to state that they are. They just get on with it and are treated the same as I am. There is no difference really.

We are explaining the situations where we are not always treated the same. Not everyone is as enlightened as you.

Advertisement