Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Couples.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

efb wrote: »
    We are explaining the situations where we are not always treated the same. Not everyone is as enlightened as you.

Maybe but it sounded like "Look! I'm gay" again which is boring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭BD45

"Speaking out of my arse for a moment".

Lol. No one's going to give you **** for being a normal man who just happens to be gay, and if they do they're just scumbags who'll pick on anyone. On the other hand if you go around acting like you should be in San Francisco gay parade, you're pretty much asking for it.

And what's the deal with these gay parades anyway? I don't feel the need to march around saying 'hey everyone look at me, I love pussy!'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Maybe but it sounded like "Look! I'm gay" again which is boring.

By whom? How?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

We are explaining the situations where we are not always treated the same. No everyone is as enlighten as you.

I only chimed in with what I have experienced because someone was implying that it doesn't happen in real life.

BD45 wrote: »
    Lol. No one's going to give you **** for being a normal man who just happens to be gay, and if they do they're just scumbags who'll pick on anyone. On the other hand if you go around acting like you should be in San Francisco gay parade, you're pretty much asking for it.

And what's the deal with these gay parades anyway? I don't feel the need to march around saying 'hey everyone look at me, I love pussy!'.

So if I act camp I'm asking to be assaulted???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Never taken notice, but I'm one of those bastards who is consumed by his phone when on the train or bus, and has therefore long since stopped paying attention to all the interesting things going on around him.

There was once a simpler time :(

Look up the stonewall riots and the Fairview Park killing

I wouldn't know, I have never been to pride, it's not my scene.

I was asking for the kicking I got, was I?

Never taken notice, but I'm one of those bastards who is consumed by his phone when on the train or bus, and has therefore long since stopped paying attention to all the interesting things going on around him.

There was once a simpler time :(

We read newspapers magazines I don't remember a time people had huge interaction with strangers on public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Do you even know what the origins of Pride was? Even now in these so called modern times the Pride march is used to highlight things like marriage equality, trans rights etc. Its an entire week of talks, events, its not just a march through town.

• Advertisement

By whom? How?

By people who say they don't want to be treated as different pointing out differences.

The girl with the short skirt is less innocent that the girl on jeans if they are raped? That bs logic?

By people who say they don't want to be treated as different pointing out differences.

Holding hands with your partner is pretty common for young couples

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Ah Jaysus... See ye..

We read newspapers magazines I don't remember a time people had huge interaction with strangers on public transport

I do and I still talk to whoever i'm sitting beside. Don't care what or who they are either.

Holding hands with your partner is pretty common for young couples

Don't know anyone who has a problem with that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Were a couple of lesbians absolutely going to town on each other across from me in the pub yesterday evening. Quite good looking ones too, none of your butch stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Good point. http://imgur.com/gallery/WkHHpZ1

Thank God we still have the raucous, banterous, outrageous Nitelink :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

There's a difference between being treated differently and being treated as being inferior, with contempt or hostility.

Cuban Pete wrote: »
    There's a difference between being treated differently and being treated as being inferior, with contempt or hostility.

Of course there is. It's also illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I explained before, it was used to demonise people, saying it was wrong- there is nothing wrong with bring gay!

I've no problem telling the world I'm left handed either- we were children of Satan St one point! More superstitious nonsense used to bully people.

Are you proud to be left handed?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

eviltwin wrote: »
    Do you even know what the origins of Pride was? Even now in these so called modern times the Pride march is used to highlight things like marriage equality, trans rights etc. Its an entire week of talks, events, its not just a march through town.

I think that's half the problem tbh. A lot of people (including people who are LBGT) aren't aware of the history of PRIDE (and certainly they're even less aware of the Stonewall riots). I know when I was working with the local Red Ribbon Project a few years back now and I was involved in organising the event, most people were looking forward to the carnival atmosphere of the parade, and didn't particularly care about the history involved.

Being LGBT is still a minority in wider society, but depending on where you go, people who are LGBT will be celebrated in some cases, and derided in other cases. I don't know if you're a Big Brother fan but recently Perez Hilton was one of the participants, a fairly high profile celebrity, but depending on your perspective - an utterly vile individual, or a person who could do with a spell on the psychiatrists couch, or someone who should be celebrated as a role model for young people who are LGBT. I know what I think of him, and it has nothing to do with his sexuality, much more to do with his piss poor attitude to other people and his constant need for attention.

LGBT rights have become just as much about PR as any other minority groups in society. Poor role models are a reflection on the community as much as fantastic role models like Harvey Milk, but there's not too many nowadays will remember or even care who Harvey Milk was either.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's impossible to ignore them

Don't be silly. All you have to do is glance at the thread title and not click on the thread.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Don't be silly. All you have to do is glance at the thread title and not click on the thread.

Not that easy as they are even being brought into football threads.

Not that easy as they are even being brought into football threads.

Every time you bump this thread, you are part of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Are you proud of your eye colour? Your height? Are you proud of your feet? Your elbows? If not - why not.

You being proud to be gay is no more sensible than being ashamed to be a Gemini.

I haven't faced discrimination for any of the above. However there is a long history of discrimination against gay people by both the state and public. This includes verbal and physical abuse which continues to this day. But stepping back in history, it included jailing and oestrogen treatments.

If you're a part of a group that are still being discriminated to this day, openness on who you are is pretty important. They stand in solidarity with those who have and are facing discrimination. It's a pretty inoffensive concept and I can't fathom why anyone would feel the need to object to it.

Every time you bump this thread, you are part of the problem.

Ha ha good try. You must be part of the problem too.

Ha ha good try. You must be part of the problem too.

Why? I am posting in threads about issues that directly affect me, and I am not the one moaning about the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,864 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

random1337 wrote: »
    The obsession is created by Gay people themselves & the liberal media.
    50 years ago a Gay man did his dirty business with other gays behind closed doors and nobody cared.
    Gays today want to be "recognised" and respected and project their lifestyle onto others. It is made into a political issue. It is used to destabilize Christian nations and make way for implementing Communism.

Do the world a favour and crawl back to Stormfront.

• Advertisement

Why? I am posting in threads about issues that directly affect me, and I am not the one moaning about the threads.

It's in my favourite forum "After hours". Not LGBT issues though.

Advertisement