Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Couples.

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Things might be much better for gay people than once upon a time and there might be gay people who are always looking for persecution ("The only gay in the village" - written and performed by a gay man - lampoons this) and Ireland may be a lot better today, and nothing like e.g. Uganda, for gay people, but there are still prejudicial attitudes out there (hetero people, me being one, aren't really in a position to tell gay people how they should feel) - some of the prejudicial attitudes are plain to see on this forum.
    Ironically some of those attitudes are coming from the people who are really annoyed by any utterances of some prejudice still remaining.
    It's fair enough to feel things have come a long way, which they have, but why is that reason enough to dismiss any remaining concerns?
    I am. I have no problem with anyones sexuality. I have gay friends - it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I'm just of the opinion that being proud of something you have no choice in is every bit as idiotic as being ashamed of it.
    Isn't the pride thing about being proud of overcoming a lot of obstacles, and of rejecting the shame gay people were once made to feel? It's not about being proud of just being gay in and of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Baby Jane wrote: »
    Isn't the pride thing about being proud of overcoming a lot of obstacles, and of rejecting the shame gay people were once made to feel? It's not about being proud of just being gay in and of itself.

Don't mind me - I'm just being a cantankerous, pedantic old fúcker. For anyone I know who goes to it, it's basically an excuse for a piss up anyway (which I'm all for by the way:D) I'm sure others probably take it more seriously, but I don't personally know any of them

I just really dislike the name - I find it very off putting. On the plus side - it seems to be just me! :):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

anonimity wrote: »
    I live in West Hollywood, so I see gays kissing all the time.

You woulden't get that kind of carry on in East Hollywood I tell Ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Perhaps I'm late to the game here, but I just seen this:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-language-version-of-same-sex-vote-text-changed-1.2133577
    The Government has changed the Irish-language version of the wording of the same-sex marriage referendum because of a possibility that a marriage between a heterosexual couple might be found unconstitutional.

First they accidentally legalize yokes and meth, then they accidentally almost ban straight marriage while trying to legalize gay marriage. Can't these people do anything right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Perhaps I'm late to the game here, but I just seen this:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-language-version-of-same-sex-vote-text-changed-1.2133577

First they accidentally legalize yokes and meth, then they accidentally almost ban straight marriage while trying to legalize gay marriage. Can't these people do anything right?

It wasn't this government, it was mata Harney.

And they removed the ambiguity around the irish text, they never nearly banned nothing

• Advertisement

I'm going to bow out of this thread now as I'm fighting battles on numerous fronts.

I am not sure I have seen you fight any battle yet. You appear to have no opinion on the conversation at hand - but instead are championing your right to vote no against some imagined tide of abuse for your decision. And paradoxically your decision to vote in that direction is both caused by and exacerbated by peoples reactions to your choice to vote in that direction.

Other than that - I am not seeing a "fight" or a "battle" so much as a soap box. Did I miss something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Don't mind me - I'm just being a cantankerous, pedantic old fúcker. For anyone I know who goes to it, it's basically an excuse for a piss up anyway (which I'm all for by the way:D) I'm sure others probably take it more seriously, but I don't personally know any of them

I just really dislike the name - I find it very off putting. On the plus side - it seems to be just me! :):)
    No I know what you mean about pride being strange in relation to something that you have no control over, but in some cases it's about certain elements attached to that, not just the thing by itself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

kneemos wrote: »
    If we're all so pro gay marriage and liberal about being gay how often do you see a gay couple holding hands or kissing in your town or village?

I can't remember the last time I saw a straight couple holding hands down the street and I live in the center of a small town and am out and about every day. I don't drink or go out to nightclubs anymore so I don't see drunken love either but again as far as seeing it 'on the street' just forget it..not around here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

colossus-x wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I saw a straight couple holding hands down the street and I live in the center of a small town and am out and about every day. I don't drink or go out to nightclubs anymore so I don't see drunken love either but again as far as seeing it 'on the street' just forget it..not around here anyway.

Actually yes this. Live in South dub myself, rarely see straight couples holding hands or kissing in public really. You see a good few straight couples kissing in nightclubs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pedro Gonzalez

For the record,I'm going to vote yes.i was only on the wind up.So apologies for any hurt and adios ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

For the record,I'm going to vote yes.i was only on the wind up.So apologies for any hurt and adios ;)

Woo thank u, every vote counts ! (-:
    -from the gays

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

You must have a very boring life , I think there is a depression thread here somewhere if you want to have a laugh at their expense

Tigger wrote: »
    there should be a day when all nice people went round holding hands in couples
    gay straight whatever

fcuk the begrudgers

here here! and a day when you can grab busty women on the boobs and pinch a nice ass if one pleases!!! haazaaar for the new world ha ha ha ha.

it should be the 30th of every month.
    terms and conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

rusty cole wrote: »
    here here! and a day when you can grab busty women on the boobs and pinch a nice ass if one pleases!!! haazaaar for the new world ha ha ha ha.

it should be the 30th of every month.
    terms and conditions apply.

How did "holding hands" lead to groping? :confused:

How did "holding hands" lead to groping? :confused:

just go along with it, when it becomes mainstream and acceptable sure it will have it's own parade!! the day free for groping parade... NO??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You're making no sense at all, and I'm starting to wonder if you're trolling.

it's a joke!!! get it??? straight mans utopia?? we want to fondle or grab every sexy woman we see but don't obviously!! but once a month morally, ethically and legally we are allowed to pinch, fondle and ogle up close anyone we like!!

ie : pinch Kelly brooks arse if she passes by!! with impunity!

once more, JOKE!!! Not troll!!! relax.

If you're gay, you possibly cant relate to straight man / family guy utopia!
    maybe just don't try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

rusty cole wrote: »
    it's a joke!!! get it??? straight mans utopia?? we want to fondle or grab every sexy woman we see but don't obviously!! but once a month morally, ethically and legally we are allowed to pinch, fondle and ogle up close anyone we like!!

ie : pinch Kelly brooks arse if she passes by!! with impunity!

once more, JOKE!!! Not troll!!! relax.

If you're gay, you possibly cant relate to straight man / family guy utopia!
    maybe just don't try.

Ha ha ha

Advertisement