Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Couples.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Don't be silly. All you have to do is glance at the thread title and not click on the thread.

Should this not be moved to LGBT? just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

B_Wayne wrote: »
    I haven't faced discrimination for any of the above. However there is a long history of discrimination against gay people by both the state and public. This includes verbal and physical abuse which continues to this day. But stepping back in history, it included jailing and oestrogen treatments.

If you're a part of a group that are still being discriminated to this day, openness on who you are is pretty important. They stand in solidarity with those who have and are facing discrimination. It's a pretty inoffensive concept and I can't fathom why anyone would feel the need to object to it.

I'm not objecting by the way.
    It's purely semantics with me - I just think pride is the wrong term to use when it's not an achievement of some sort. You should be proud of your achievements not of some innate characteristic you couldn't alter in any fashion even if you really wanted to. If you can't change it in any way, haven't achieved it in any way - whatever you may or may not feel about it - you shouldn't feel pride.
    Saying you shouldn't be proud of something, is not the same thing as saying you should be ashamed of it. Both of those emotions are equally stupid in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

I'm not objecting by the way.
    It's purely semantics with me - I just think pride is the wrong term to use when it's not an achievement of some sort. You should be proud of your achievements not of some innate characteristic you couldn't alter in any fashion even if you really wanted to. If you can't change it in any way, haven't achieved it in any way - whatever you may or may not feel about it - you shouldn't feel pride.
    Saying you shouldn't be proud of something, is not the same thing as saying you should be ashamed of it. Both of those emotions are equally stupid in my opinion.
    When you're part of a group that have fought against being ostracised by society. That's something to be proud of, no? Also, many to this day are ostracised by their families and people in society for being gay. Being open is something to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lapin wrote: »
    I caused a bit of consternation here once when I said I'm proud to be straight.

A certain boardsie took umbridge with me saying that. It was as though I shouldn't be allowed to say that, or that me saying I'm proud to be heterosexual somehow impinges on his right to be proud of his homosexuality. Complete nonsense of course but it left me thinking that some in the gay community actually claim a monopoly on the word pride.

You were never forced to be ashamed of your heterosexuality. GAy people on the other hand have been throughout history. Today gay pride means recognising that you no longer have to be ashamed of a part of you that many believed is a secret that should be hidden so that you're not seen as different.

You should be able to see the difference between gay pride and heteorsexual pride, which seems more like an attack on gay pride than anything else. Much like meninism is to the feminist movement.

Stop playing the "poor me" card and be proud of who you are and what you are or you will never move on. I have several relations who are gay and they don't constantly have to state that they are. They just get on with it and are treated the same as I am. There is no difference really.

To assume that all gay people are treated as well as your gay family members is extremely naive . The reason gay people have gained ANY rights over the last few decades is because they made themselves more visible and therefore they became a much more normalised group, and were treated much better as a result.

• Advertisement

true567 wrote: »
    The developed world should not be focused on such petty issues. There are currently over 7 Billion people and expected to be 9 Billion in 2050- overpopulation causes environmental degradation, social conflict as it leads to mass immigration to different nations, a lack of economic well-being for all as there are a limited amount of resources, etc.

If you want to have sexual relations with another person then do so but don't expect if others don't care about your cause because there are much, much bigger and more important issues. At then end of the day gays are not being lynched nor are they being rejected the right to a relationship- but yet people focus on this as if its an absolute crisis. It is pathetic.

More important issues that should be discussed are climate change, overpopulation, mass immigration, Muslim extremists, prevalent use of hard rugs (i.e. heroin), poverty.
    'don't expect others to care about your cause'
    ok maybe when gay people are treated the same as everyone else they'll stop

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bb1234567 wrote: »
    To assume that all gay people are treated as well as your gay family members is extremely naive . The reason gay people have gained ANY rights over the last few decades is because they made themselves more visible and therefore they became a much more normalised group, and were treated much better as a result.

You need to read my post again.
    My family members who are gay were always very normalised.

When you're part of a group that have fought against being ostracised by society. That's something to be proud of, no? Also, many to this day are ostracised by their families and people in society for being gay. Being open is something to be proud of.

While that is not right it seems to be a very small minority in fairness.
    I have never seen that and Dundalk is a big town.
    The homophobic stuff is wrong but much of it is exaggerated imo in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭true567

'don't expect others to care about your cause'
    ok maybe when gay people are treated the same as everyone else they'll stop

No there will always be some "injustice" somewhere that needs to be corrected with insincere apologies to include everyone in some hypothetical utopian society. People will always hate, and divide its in our DNA so the key is to not let it affect. And thats the point, these quests for social injustice are retarded. Grow thicker skin. Today, there is always some group pointing out what they deem as unfair but in reality people only care about their own specific group (ie blacks, gays) and its over stupid stuff- verbal assault. So, to conclude overpopulation and climate change are more important along with other issues.

You need to read my post again.
    My family members who are gay were always very normalised.
    ''Stop playing the "poor me" card and be proud of who you are and what you are or you will never move on. I have several relations who are gay and they don't constantly have to state that they are. They just get on with it and are treated the same as I am''

Sounds to me like you're saying gay people are treated as normal , like your gay family members, and that they should all stop making a fuss about it as they're treated better than they think. Some people CANNOT be proud, due to discrimination even from close friends and family. Some people can never move on. Sometimes this 'poor me' card (which doesn't exist) needs to be played so that gay people can actually be treated like normal people.

• Advertisement

''Stop playing the "poor me" card and be proud of who you are and what you are or you will never move on. I have several relations who are gay and they don't constantly have to state that they are. They just get on with it and are treated the same as I am''

Sounds to me like you're saying gay people are treated as normal , like your gay family members, and that they should all stop making a fuss about it as they're treated better than they think. Some people CANNOT be proud, due to discrimination even from close friends and family. Some people can never move on. Sometimes this 'poor me' card (which doesn't exist) needs to be played so that gay people can actually be treated like normal people.

What do you mean by "normal people"? Seems a bit hypocritical of you to use such a term...

You sound like you're craving pity and not equality.

What do you mean by "normal people"? Seems a bit hypocritical of you to use such a term...

You know well what I mean, our society doesn't accept homosexuality as normal. Thats what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

It's in my favourite forum "After hours". Not LGBT issues though.

Talk to the person who started the thread.

I just checked. I have started nine threads ever in After Hours, of which one involved homosexuality, and that was when that eejit sued for being called a homophobe.

The gays aren't in conference somewhere deciding what thread to start next.

You sound like you're craving pity and not equality.

Sounds to me like you don't give a rats arse about the hardship many gay people face

Sounds to me like you don't give a rats arse about the hardship many gay people face

If you have an issue with your family then man up and have it out with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

No there will always be some "injustice" somewhere that needs to be corrected with insincere apologies to include everyone in some hypothetical utopian society. People will always hate, and divide its in our DNA so the key is to not let it affect. And thats the point, these quests for social injustice are retarded. Grow thicker skin. Today, there is always some group pointing out what they deem as unfair but in reality people only care about their own specific group (ie blacks, gays) and its over stupid stuff- verbal assault. So, to conclude overpopulation and climate change are more important along with other issues.

How many of your posts since you joined boards have been about overpopulation or climate change, and how many have been about homosexuality? A rough estimate will do.

If you have an issue with your family then man up and have it out with them.

This isn't about me. Im lucky enough to be in a position where people around me are okay with it. But as I said, it is extremely naive to assume all gay people are treated as well as I or your gay family members.
    And sorry but its all too easy for a straight person to tell us to man up and have it out with our family when your family can be so unaccepting that they'd rather throw you out of the home and never speak to you again than accept your homosexuality.
    It is estimated that there are approximately 400,000 lgbt youth in the united states who are homeless as they were thrown out by their parents who had issue with their sexuality. They obviously 'had it out with them' and look where it got them.

This isn't about me. Im lucky enough to be in a position where people around me are okay with it. But as I said, it is extremely naive to assume all gay people are treated as well as I or your gay family members.
    And sorry but its all too easy for a straight person to tell us to man up and have it out with our family when your family can be so unaccepting that they'd rather throw you out of the home and never speak to you again than accept your homosexuality.
    It is estimated that there are approximately 400,000 lgbt youth in the united states who are homeless as they were thrown out by their parents who had issue with their sexuality. They obviously 'had it out with them' and look where it got them.

If your under 18 years and your family throw you out for being gay then report them. It is illegal.
    If someone assaults you physically or verbally or discriminates against you then report them. It is illegal.
    There are agencies who deal with this HSE and Garda.

Being open and accepting yes. Being gay no.

They gay acceptance parade, the gay rights parade, the it's deadly being gay parade - I'm all for any of them.
    The gay pride parade - is pretty much nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They gay acceptance parade, the gay rights parade, the it's deadly being gay parade - I'm all for any of them.
    The gay pride parade - is pretty much nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

Are they not all the same thing?

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    How many of your posts since you joined boards have been about overpopulation or climate change, and how many have been about homosexuality? A rough estimate will do.

Maybe 3 or 4, why are you so butthurt over that?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Are they not all the same thing?

Possibly! As I've said already - it's just semantics with me. My only problem is with the word pride - I say problem, it's not like it keeps me up at night worrying about it:pac:.
    I just think it's a stupid thing to call it.

If your under 18 years and your family throw you out for being gay then report them. It is illegal.
    If someone assaults you physically or verbally or discriminates against you then report them. It is illegal.
    There are agencies who deal with this HSE and Garda.
    Thats true but its easier said than done to call the police on your family, even if they did do a ****ty thing to you.
    Its also very hard to prove verbal assault or discrimination , obviously. All of these things aren't black and white issues, we can't just call the police on bigots to make the problem go away. It will take time and effort to remove the homophobia engrained in our culture. (and all world cultures)

Thats true but its easier said than done to call the police on your family, even if they did do a ****ty thing to you.
    Its also very hard to prove verbal assault or discrimination , obviously. All of these things aren't black and white issues, we can't just call the police on bigots to make the problem go away. It will take time and effort to remove the homophobia engrained in our culture. (and all world cultures)

Maybe so but if it takes reporting abuse to get it sorted out then that's the way to go.
    I'm all for equal rights for all and will be voting Yes in the referendum but people have to stand up and be counted. You will get nothing but sympathy on these threads but that won't solve your problem.

And to the poster who thought we should abandon gay rights issues and tackle more pressing matters such as climate change, do you also think we should not try to improve situations with regards matters such as racism , animal abuse, homelessness etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Maybe 3 or 4, why are you so butthurt over that?

I'm not "butthurt" at all. I find it very amusing that about 1 minute of looking through your posts after clicking the "find all posts" button (I like to think of it as an agenda finder) shows that just under a quarter of your posts are on the subject of homosexuality, and none are on climate change or overpopulation, except of course when you're bringing them up to tell people that that's what they should be worrying about instead of gay rights/pride/whatever. Don't you think that's weird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pedro Gonzalez

Ive become a homophobe.

Not because of what they do in the bedroom,but because of the fact that you cant turn on the TV,browse the net or even open a fuc*ing paper now without one of them bitching about how society doesn't love them.
    I hope this vote gets passed because the hoors will go into meltdown if it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Ive become a homophobe.

Not because of what they do in the bedroom,but because of the fact that you cant turn on the TV,browse the net or even open a fuc*ing paper now without one of them bitching about how society doesn't love them.
    I hope this vote gets passed because the hoors will go into meltdown if it doesn't.

I've become a hylophobe. Everywhere I go I see them f*cking trees, waving their branches, rubbing their leafiness in my face. I hope they cut all the f*cking rainforests down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pedro Gonzalez

I've become a hylophobe. Everywhere I go I see them f*cking trees, waving their branches, rubbing their leafiness in my face. I hope they cut all the f*cking rainforests down!
    I hear ya brother and I feel your pain.
    I don't want to chop any gays up tho,just maybe get them to pipe down for a while and give us poor breeders some peace.

Advertisement