Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Couples.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My point, is moreso that right now, such hostile attitudes are extremely rare here. I disagree with homosexuality in much the same way I dissagreed with Gay Byrne being head of the RSA. In both cases I knew there was sweet f*ck all I could do about it but did that make me do something about it? Of course not. They live their lives, I live mine. Live and let live. They're happy, I'm happy. That's what tolerance is. Not forcing yourself to watch near naked thong strappers on a certain day of the year, or threaten business owners because they refused to serve a gay couple.. This whole thing of people literally stepping over each others necks just to be seen as the most "PC" is sickening.

If they refused black couples would that be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

On the amount of threads about it.
    No need for them all.
    Live and let live.

And it gay people who are creating this threads. Got the facts. Or are you presuming only gay people would create these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

efb wrote: »
    If they refused black couples would that be OK?

Oh hell, hah hah hah hah :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

My point, is moreso that right now, such hostile attitudes are extremely rare here. I disagree with homosexuality in much the same way I dissagreed with Gay Byrne being head of the RSA. In both cases I knew there was sweet f*ck all I could do about it but did that make me do something about it? Of course not. They live their lives, I live mine. Live and let live. They're happy, I'm happy. That's what tolerance is. Not forcing yourself to watch near naked thong strappers on a certain day of the year, or threaten business owners because they refused to serve a gay couple.. This whole thing of people literally stepping over each others necks just to be seen as the most "PC" is sickening.

And when you criticise this orgy of highly sexualised, frankly obscene, march for gay rights you become a homophobe or gay basher. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Baby Jane wrote: »
    My friend is a gay man - he has been assaulted twice. One was not in any way homophobia - it was just a random drunk guy acting the twat to anyone who crossed his path. He wouldn't have known my friend was gay.

The other (I was present - we were standing outside a late bar waiting for a taxi) started with the attacker barging over to him and yelling "You're a ****ing fagg*t. Say it! Say 'I'm a fagg*t'" and then proceeding to punch my friend in the face. I managed to get a bouncer nearby to come over and defuse the situation. This attack was obviously a homophobic one.

Both types of scenario can happen. Why does it bother some people that it's sometimes a reality that an attack can be homophobia-related? :confused:
    Unless your friend is extremely flamboyant and clearly gay to anyone passing by on the street then I doubt the second case was a homophobic attack, just a drunk asshole looking to fight anyone.

• Advertisement

And when you criticise this orgy of highly sexualised, frankly obscene, march for gay rights you become a homophobe or gay basher. Weird.

Now who is playing the victim?

The gays offending ones sensibilities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Unless your friend is extremely flamboyant and clearly gay to anyone passing by on the street then I doubt the second case was a homophobic attack, just a drunk asshole looking to fight anyone.
    Are you serious? He actually uttered the words directly to my friend: "You're a ****ing fagg*t! Say it! Say 'I'm a fagg*t"!
    He possibly saw my friend flirting with a guy or kissing with a guy in the bar earlier.

And it gay people who are creating this threads. Got the facts. Or are you presuming only gay people would create these threads.

Id bet my arm its 99% straight people who make these threads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Ah, we're going to start arguing with posters who aren't there. Superb.

Using homophobic language???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Now who is playing the victim?

The gays offending ones sensibilities?

Not me anyway, I couldn't give a fiddlers what I'm called. Been called far worse.

And you're not answering the question either and deflecting badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I already said that I don't care who starts them, there's too many of them. Boring.

Not me anyway, I couldn't give a fiddlers what I'm called. Been called far worse.

And you're not answering the question either and deflecting badly.

What question?

And me? I imagined it too?

Are you serious? He actually uttered the words directly to my friend: "You're a ****ing fagg*t! Say it! Say 'I'm a fagg*t"!
    He possibly saw my friend flirting with a guy or kissing with a guy in the bar earlier.

Well then yes it was probably a homophobic attack.
    Well yeah its just Ive seen similar words being used in fights/jumpings/attacks on randomers, even some of my friends and sexual orientation didn't play any part in the attacks, my friends aren't gay and don't come across as such either. I see people say ****** a lot in serious fights without literally meaning the other persons gay.

I've spoken to gay people who can't understand why some thing are being made into a massive deal, while other more important (and obviously more difficult to deal with) issues are not.
    With regards to your post there, I fear an explanation of your words is necessary before you get rightly lynched..
    I'm sure I speak for us both when I say its not that we find their pursuance for rights obscene. It's more what's, for all intents and purposes "shoved into everyone's faces" while they do so, thats at times, extremely difficult to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Please do share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

You and the other person talk about gay people acting the victim, yet ye are the ones acting the victim: upset at gay people having a say and gay people stating if they have been assaulted due to being gay, as if to say "Waaaaah... where's our glory?"
    I'm not saying you're homophobic (I think the sheep lover guy is though) but you don't have to watch the thong-wearing lads (I haven't seen them myself?) or any of the pride stuff, and your comment about how you were itching to throw gays off a roof was silly - nobody said *you* are homophobic or going to attack gay people, so why take it as such? It was just said that some folk would, that is why same-sex couples don't tend to hold hands and kiss each other in public. Ireland is far from Russia or Uganda, but gay people still feel it's risky. If it wasn't risky, they wouldn't avoid it. Shur aren't they the attention-seeking ones? ;)

And me? I imagined it too?

Ah..I dunno maybe I just live a very sheltered life. Im gay too and I just can't imagine something like that ever happening me, Ive come across very little in fact no violent hatred towards me or any of my gay friends in my entire life. Just little jabs and people being uncomfortable with it, but no abuse at all, no verbal or physical, no outward hatred at all. But from reading this thread and others Ive obviously been just lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Relatively talentless? Was that the Irish Catholic review of his sell out shows???

And here was me thinking -

"Ahh Mrs. Brown isn't that bad?" :pac:

But yeah, have to agree about *shudder*, "Panto Bliss", dresses like a conservative 1950's housewife and is about as tolerable as a brain aneurysm :rolleyes:

Mr. Pussy was doing drag 20 years before him and he was fcuking fair funny, same for Kenny Everett when he used do Cupid Stunt, they were sharp, creative, brilliant and top it off - they made people really laugh.

Panto Bliss - "I got wolf whistled at a traffic lights", 600k hits on YouTube.

Conchita Wurst - Knocks everyone's socks off in the Eurovision, 18m hits on YouTube.

I think the figures speak for themselves as to which type of performer people prefer - the person that calls us all a little bit racist, or the person who really inspires people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I don't know how to quantify the amount of gay-bashing that goes on,whether it is increasing or decreasing,but by gum it surely happens......
    Many years ago a friend and I were in Tralee when 2 Young lads about 16-17 Went by us holding hands,my friend enquired "Should we beat them up ?". A strange way of thinking,but alas,not confined to the past,

A few weeks back,I was in the car,parked up,near the end of my lunch break and I saw two men holding hands being taunted and getting kicked up the arse by 4 somali youths, it didnt last too long as one of the gay lads was (presumably) Calling the cops.

Using homophobic language???

Have you never heard random scumbags call any ol' guy on the street a ****** without actually meaning he's gay? A lot of people use it as a generally offensive word like cnut or bast4rd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Yeh, there's a couple of "It's pushing the gay agenda, it's gays being melodramatic" etc comments here.

Eh... the threads aren't being started by "the gays" so it would seem the obsession is among hetero people.

Well look who started it - then look what s/he said below:
    kneemos wrote: »
    Stop reading the bloody things.

Zippie84 wrote: »
    *cough cough* in comparison with normal couples?

Yes. Whether you like it or not, homosexuality is not the norm. Get over it.

Ah..I dunno maybe I just live a very sheltered life. Im gay too and I just can't imagine something like that ever happening me, Ive come across very little in fact no violent hatred towards me or any of my gay friends in my entire life. Just little jabs and people being uncomfortable with it, but no abuse at all, no verbal or physical, no outward hatred at all. But from reading this thread and others Ive obviously been just lucky.

It's a while since I was a teenager. Things seem to have improved. But i still wouldn't be publicly affectionate with another woman. There is always some jerk thinking it's great craic to start shouting **** at you.

Have you never heard random scumbags call any ol' guy on the street a ****** without actually meaning he's gay? A lot of people use it as a generally offensive word like cnut or bast4rd

Do using derogatory language to gay people isn't verbal gay abuse... Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Panto Bliss - "I got wolf whistled at a traffic lights", 600k hits on YouTube.

Conchita Wurst - Knocks everyone's socks off in the Eurovision, 18m hits on YouTube.

And of course since we're measuring worth by Youtube hits they both bow down to this master who teaches us all so much about not only what it means to be human but also what it means to love, live and to be loved each and every day. Someone whose videos will live on long after all of us are but a distant memory.

72 million views. That's 72 million lives changed forever....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Id bet my arm its 99% straight people who make these threads

Why don't we just ask the OP ?

Hey Kneemos, are you an Arthur or a Martha ?

You and the other person talk about gay people acting the victim, yet ye are the ones acting the victim: upset at gay people having a say and gay people stating if they have been assaulted due to being gay, as if to say "Waaaaah... where's our glory?"
    I'm not saying you're homophobic (I think the sheep lover guy is though) but you don't have to watch the thong-wearing lads (I haven't seen them myself?) or any of the pride stuff, and your comment about how you were itching to throw gays off a roof was silly - nobody said *you* are homophobic or going to attack gay people, so why take it as such? It was just said that some folk would, that is why same-sex couples don't tend to hold hands and kiss each other in public. Ireland is far from Russia or Uganda, but gay people still feel it's risky. If it wasn't risky, they wouldn't avoid it. Shur aren't they the attention-seeking ones? ;)

You've had to dig pretty deeple there to be able to suggest either of us are either A: upset at gay people having a say or B: playing a victim in any way, shape or form. My initial comment was supposed to be silly. To match the idea that you are automatically killed and eaten the moment your hand touches another mans. Over here, you get a slap for being obviously gay in front of the wrong people - of which there are very few now. Over there, you're executed more or less on the spot by the nearest hundred or so savages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I've only ever seen a few here in Carlow but when I was in Berlin a few months ago they were everywhere, it didn't seem weird either and they just happily went about their business.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

That's a well put post baby jane, but unfortunately *anybody* who questions this whole uprise in gay popularity, or who professes that they're uncomfortable with homosexuality, instantly becomes lynched. The tables have well-and-truly turned. I know of a fella who got beat up because he didn't vote for David Norris to become president! WTF like? By straight people too. And he didn't vote for him because he preferred Martin McGuinness. No other reason! Scum are indiscriminate about who they attack. If I got beat up, they'd probably be calling me a fat cnut while kicking me in the chest. Doesn't mean I would then see all skinny people as fat-o-phobic.

Look up the scene in Perriers Bounty where Brendan Gleeson finds out one of his men is gay. There's a lot of that going on, especially on boards!

Advertisement