Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supergirl [CW] - US pace - [**Spoilers**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just caught up on the back half of Season 3 and first part of season 4.

Season 4 has been a huge improvement, very glad that Brainy is on board full time, and Nicole Maines, Sam Witwer, and David Ajala are great additions to the show as Nia Nal, Ben Lockwood, and Manchester Black. The direction of the show seems much clearer and the overall arc this season is perfect. James is still the show's weakest link, but he's being used to better effect this season. Lena is a character that is currently seems a bit lost and serves the least purpose, but hopefully they'll make better use of her in the latter part of the season, especially when
    Lex (interesting casting btw - looking forward to see Cryer's take on the part)
    arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Interesting Irish connections in the latest episode with Nia
    She lives in a town called Parthas
    She's called Nia (Irish for nephew, which I presume was done on purpose considering she's trans playing a trans character)
    And she's the dreamer-lots of Irish folklore with oracle type characters.....

Must be some Irish connection on the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

youngblood wrote: »
    Interesting Irish connections in the latest episode with Nia
    She lives in a town called Parthas
    She's called Nia (Irish for nephew, which I presume was done on purpose considering she's trans playing a trans character)
    And she's the dreamer-lots of Irish folklore with oracle type characters.....

Must be some Irish connection on the show?

The actor who plays Lena Luthor and pointed out the irish translation of Parthus is Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

LLMMLL wrote: »
    The actor who plays Lena Luthor and pointed out the irish translation of Parthus is Irish.

No doubt about that, her accent is always slipping out.

Wow, I never would have guessed she was Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TBH I wasn't sure, but the way her American accent kept slipping into something that sounded a little like a posh Irish accent made me Google her; lo and behold it was just her natural brogue slipping through.

As to the season, still a good few episodes behind but as unsubtle as the Agent of Liberty plotline has been, the show has really clicked this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nicole Maines was a great addition to the cast.

Enjoying this season a lot...

The way the drugs got spiked was a bit hokey though! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 85,532 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Melissa Benoist is engaged to co-star Chris Wood

Why did she need that suit again???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

youngblood wrote: »
    Why did she need that suit again???

I think it’s because there is Kryptonite in Earth’s atmosphere from when Mercy Graves used the device used to cover the atmosphere in Lead to stop the daxamites in Season 2 but with kryptonite instead

• Advertisement

Strong episode this week.

The russian storyline really has been sidelined though. Are they trying to do too much this season?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mr E wrote: »
    The russian storyline really has been sidelined though. Are they trying to do too much this season?
    Yeah, I keep expecting it to come back. I'm assuming it'll be towards the end - RedSonSupergirl will take out regular Supergirl and cause havoc, furthering the divide with Lockwood's Agent Liberty gang. She'll show how actually all aliens *are* bad.

Even so, we also have another character yet to show up so it is going to be busy!

Jon Cryer did a decent job.

I smiled at the shouty "Miss Teschmacher" too. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Really enjoyed this week's episode. Cryer is doing a great job here as Lex - lots of good delivery, esp. "You're right, I have to give myself cancer". He's got the arrogance down to a tee.
    This show continues to be a massive improvement over last year and for me it's the best of the CW DC shows after, of course, Legends.

Yep, agreed. The comic book nerds were giving out about his casting last week, but I think he is doing a great job. That was a great episode.

Things were ramping up nicely for the last few weeks, but this week was on another level.

Fantastic episode. What a great twist. :)

This show has really upped its game, particularly the latter half. Still as earnest and goofy as ever, but the writing team on The Flash could really learn a thing or two from its sibling show about putting together a coherent, season long story arc with actual momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nick Fury joins the DC Universe.

Best finale of the DC shows, I think. Really enjoyed that.

Sets Lena up as a villain next season I think (along with leviathan and the other martian and Lex?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Mr E wrote: »
    Best finale of the DC shows, I think. Really enjoyed that.

Sets Lena up as a villain next season I think (along with leviathan and the other martian and Lex?)

Really surprised they are introducing Leviathan seeing as they have only been in the comics for the last few years and are part of a major storyline currently going on this Summer. I wonder if next season is going to be laying more seeds for the Crisis with a reborn Lex and Jonzz’s brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’ve only watched 3 episodes of the season so far so no spoilers please.

I had assumed that the writers would go full on “sjw” and make Agent of Liberty just a bad guy “because he is a racist” or with the usual loss of a family member.

But I really like the episode that showed his background and that it is very understandable how he has come to be where he is today. And how the show’s heroes have contributed to it. Alex’s assumption he was part of the attack, her off-handed remark about how Supergirl went “easy” on the workers, the lack of help for the ordinary people caught up in her fights, Kara’s own intolerance at the bar. And the lies they all participate in - pretending they are the FBI, supporting a president who IS a liar, creating devices to allow beings to hide their true faces, etc.

No he shouldn’t be killing people but everyone in the show has contributed to it.

The only one who comes out well in the story is Lena who at least tried to make some restitution and warned Lockwood he headed for a dark place.

I hope the season doesn’t just make Lockwood the bad man but that Kara and the others come to see they do a lot of harm too.

Also, the spat between J’onn and Kara in the first episode was nonsensical - Kara doesn’t understand the “plight of the average alien” because she can pass for human.

So can he and most of the aliens in the show. :P

It's a season of 3 acts, and you're in the first one now. I think you'll be happy with the story overall - it was a great season.

The best villains are always the ones who believe themselves the heroes of their own story. It would have been easy to make Agent Liberty a snarling racist (speciesist?), but the background helped. Supergirl isn't a subtle show but the way it has handled the issue tolerance and compassion in the face of violence has been great.

The three act structure is also fantastic, just from a structural point of view it makes these otherwise baggy 22 episode series pace better. Agents of SHIELD season 4 was a supreme example of that, with what amounted to 3 separate arcs. More shows - especially sibling ones on the CW like Flash - could learn a thing or two.

Manchester Black was another great character in that show.

Although I try to avoid information I do know Lex Luthor appears later in the season - and I assumed his story, Agent of Liberty and Red Supergirl would all be part of the same plot season long story.

It is good to hear that they are doing a similar structure to that season of S.H.I.E.L.D.

And The Flash is definitely the one that needs to do likewise. I assuming from the comments above that they will drag the arse out of Cicada until the season finale.

And The Flash is definitely the one that needs to do likewise. I assuming from the comments above that they will drag the arse out of Cicada until the season finale.

Oh god yeah. The arse dragged out and left 10 episodes back along the road. The Flash writers need to shadow Supergirl's.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh god yeah. The arse dragged out and left 10 episodes back along the road. The Flash writers need to shadow Supergirl's.

This is the first season Supergirl has used the structure and maybe if the reviews or ratings are positive for Supergirl then the producers will bring the changes to The Flash.

I don't think S.H.I.E.L.D. is the only influence (if it was indeed one) but Arrow did the same thing last season when it switched the big bad from Cayden James to Diaz.

Up until now Supergirl and The Flash both suffered the same problems - too large a main cast, too large a support team, almost everyone knows the secret identity, and no "ordinary life" being disrupted by the masked life.

Team Arrow expanding beyond Oliver, Digg and Felicity was a mistake - the sidekicks are good characters but they should have only been used as occasional allies/thorn in the sides of Green Arrow. And the show has showed the burden on Oliver's "normal life".

Black Lightning has a decent balance of home life and super heroics - except the action scenes are generally dull and lifeless except when Tobias Whale is involved.

The shows are great - the negatives are few, just annoying.

Where does Kara keep the costume?

The tennis skirt is no more! New hair-style too, though not so crazy about that; can't have been fun running around Vancouver in a skirt months on end:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz83OBUHBU9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

love the new suit

Advertisement