Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supergirl [CW] - US pace - [**Spoilers**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,434 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cat slamming Trump.

Enjoyed the opening episode.

Strange seeing Adrian Pasdar now having major role in the DC Universe while still being a Major in the Marvel one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jeez that was hard work. Where's the fun?

At least the second last scene pointed towards a break in the clouds.
    Normal service should resume next week.

With Erica Durance and Odette Annable joining the cast, I think I'm going to enjoy this season. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Must be awkward when your mum is the same person as your ex's mum from an alternate universe. And your foster dad was married to that version. While your mum is you from another alternate universe.... and now I'm confusing myself

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Decent opener. Unlike some of the others, it didn't undo its finale immediately and dealt with the consequences. There's a good article on io9 that basically says, for once, Kara is allowed mope. I suspect it'll little miss sunshine next week again.
    Good moments of humour too - I liked when they said grumpy Kara was like Alex. And a very good father moment later on with J'onn.
    A promising start to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Must be awkward when your mum is the same person as your ex's mum from an alternate universe. And your foster dad was married to that version. While your mum is you from another alternate universe.... and now I'm confusing myself
    How is Erica Durance now her mom? Did they recast? :wassat:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

OmegaRed wrote: »
    How is Erica Durance now her mom? Did they recast? :wassat:

Yeah they recast - don't think Laura Benanti was available to do it anymore. It's a shame to lose Benanti, but I like Durance as well, so it's not the worst recast I've ever seen.

I much preferred this week's episode to the premiere, and I think Odette Annable is a great addition to the series.

Yeah it was a good episode and a decent villain. I suspect we'll see Psi(sp?) again.

I also liked Kara being called out for never actually doing any work. Was hoping for a follow up mention of smashing the roof of the building but alas..

I'm hoping the daughter isn't going to be constantly annoying like she was in this episode.

Very strong episode. Psi was a great villain and the first one in a long time that gave Kara any real challenge.

Loving Odette Annable's character too. The daughter, not so much.

Pretty awful this week. Crap CGI, crap wirework, crap story. They changed the intro (new bored-sounding monologue by Kara and really crap replacement music)

Not a fan. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Mr E wrote: »
    Pretty awful this week. Crap CGI, crap wirework, crap story. They changed the intro (new bored-sounding monologue by Kara and really crap replacement music)

Not a fan. :(

Yes, according to the intro she is now a refugee on Earth.

The relationship between Maggie and her father was weird too. Initially she refuses to ring him as they haven't spoken since he kicked her out. Then out of nowhere in the middle of the night she rings him and has a bizarre call. It sounds like she is actually speaking to him and then sounds like she is leaving a message, I can't tell whether he was on the line or not. She then picks him up from the bus despite the fact that she didn't seem to know he was even coming. We then have the almost comically old-fashioned exchange of him being staggeringly homophobic. Followed by some seriously heavy handed politics about immigration.

The lipsync on the Martians was off by a mile. I know the budget was cut when they went from CBS to CW but it looks like they are spending peanuts this season.

Not forgetting that Kara now has no problem killing as long as they're not human

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Anyone else laugh at the Albuquerque line?

Yep. Nice Bugs Bunny reference

Chloe, Wall of Weird thats a huge Smallville hint dropped to have them in the same Universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Great episode. Best in a long time. The two girls really did a great job of copying their older versions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Chloe, Wall of Weird thats a huge Smallville hint dropped to have them in the same Universe.

Wasn't Chloe married to Jimmy in Smallville? Is the Jimmy on Supergirl supposed to be the same Jimmy? Just given they've introduced the idea of Smallville and Supergirl existing in the same universe.

Also, was the school exterior they used for the young Alex/Kara scenes the same school they shot Smallville at?

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Great episode. Best in a long time. The two girls really did a great job of copying their older versions.

I've seen the girl playing Kara in a few other things like The 100,and would never have thought she looked anything like Benoist but she had so many of her mannerisms and expressions nailed here that it was like looking at a completely different actress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

They aren't in the same universe, there just happens to be similarities between them. Kara was much older, and had a different background in Smallville. Plus too many other characters (i.e. the Luthers, Jimmy, etc.) who have appeared or been mentioned in both differ too much. Smallville may exist in the multiverse, but not on Supergirls earth.

Johnmb wrote: »
    They aren't in the same universe, there just happens to be similarities between them. Kara was much older, and had a different background in Smallville. Plus too many other characters (i.e. the Luthers, Jimmy, etc.) who have appeared or been mentioned in both differ too much. Smallville may exist in the multiverse, but not on Supergirls earth.

I meant within the same Television Universe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Everything's within the same TV multiverse, even the original Flash TV show from the 90s (he appeared in an episode when Barry was switching dimensions iirc, and wasn't the Earth 3 Flash). But the Chloe and Wall of Weird referred to in Supergirl is not the one from Smallville, in the same way that the Green Arrow in Smallville is not the one from the Arrowverse that Supergirl has met.

Ok so.

Pretty strong episode helped greatly by casting two actors who nailed their older counterpart's performances.
    Also Lois Lane in 'Smallville' would look a bit too much like her mum and their Kara suspiciously resembles Indigo from S1

Was reading elsewhere that they were surprised the mention of Chloe was kept in after the news about Alison Mack. I hadn't heard so I looked it up. Apparently she's involved in some cult.

Anyway, The whole thing with John disguising himself as Alura. Like I assume he knew about her from the device she left for Kara, but did Eliza call him even though she knew he couldn't change his form?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was reading elsewhere that they were surprised the mention of Chloe was kept in after the news about Alison Mack. I hadn't heard so I looked it up. Apparently she's involved in some cult.

I just looked this up and the headlines say it's an "evil sex cult" she is "second in command" and apparently yer one who played Lana is the one that brought her into it. Bizarre.

Anyway, The whole thing with John disguising himself as Alura. Like I assume he knew about her from the device she left for Kara, but did Eliza call him even though she knew he couldn't change his form?

Why did he make himself look like her mother? Was it to better increase the chance she'd listen to him? Or what?

If someone had asked me to join a sex cult with Lana and Chloe from Smallville, there's a good chance I would've said yes. But going by what I read, it's not as fun as it sounds.

Yeah i suppose wanted a face she trusts. Or he just wanted to feck with her mind. Imagine the odds of someone in the FBI looking like her mother and knowing about her.

When I saw Erica Durance was cast as Alura, I thought we would barely see her. But she's been in almost every episode so far

Wow that's some crazy sh1t just reading it there now.

I had always wondered why Allison hasn't been acting.

Allison Mack and Kristin Kreuk would be two really good recruiters for any cult to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Was surprised by the mention of Chloe after seeing the stories about Allison Mack over the past few weeks. Was happy with the nod to Smallville though, that show was great until it wasn't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Squaredude wrote: »
    Was surprised by the mention of Chloe after seeing the stories about Allison Mack over the past few weeks. Was happy with the nod to Smallville though, that show was great until it wasn't :(

Sure the whole thing will have been written and filmed well before any of those stories about Allison Mack started circulating. Anyway, even if they were to introduce the character in person at any point it'd be a new actor in the part, as they'd need to be closer in age Tyler Hoechlin.

• Advertisement

I suggest Holland Roden or Shelley Hennig

Advertisement