Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United 2015 season - MOD Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

1-1. Decent result all things considered. I thought the two young lads Melody and McConnell did very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

1-1. Decent result all things considered. I thought the two young lads Melody and McConnell did very well.

Ya Melody had a good game, looked very comfortable and confident on the ball, if only he slid Gary in towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tonight was the first time I'd been up to see a match in a while. I seem to be cursed to be stuck working every time there is a home game. Thought it was a pretty good contest, though I think Drogedha would have well deserved the victory, considering all the chances they created in the second half.

This may seem like a strange question, but it was asked of me at one point this evening: why do they bother printing tickets for the game? They seem kind of pointless- You pay your money, get a ticket, go throw the turnstile and then throw the ticket away. I presume they count as an expense for the club? It seems to me that it's an unnecessary one - why not just pay at the turnstile? It's a small thing and I'm sure someone out there can enlighten me, but considering cash is not something that League of Ireland is awash with, why not cut the cost of something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Arghus wrote: »
    Tonight was the first time I'd been up to see a match in a while. I seem to be cursed to be stuck working every time there is a home game. Thought it was a pretty good contest, though I think Drogedha would have well deserved the victory, considering all the chances they created in the second half.

This may seem like a strange question, but it was asked of me at one point this evening: why do they bother printing tickets for the game? They seem kind of pointless- You pay your money, get a ticket, go throw the turnstile and then throw the ticket away. I presume they count as an expense for the club? It seems to me that it's an unnecessary one - why not just pay at the turnstile? It's a small thing and I'm sure someone out there can enlighten me, but considering cash is not something that League of Ireland is awash with, why not cut the cost of something like this?

Ticketing is an FAI licencing requirement and in turn a UEFA requirement.

Physical ticket stubs or scanned barcodes need to be available for auditing purposes. Where there is no paper trail for sales cash goes missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Physical ticket stubs or scanned barcodes need to be available for auditing purposes. Where there is no paper trail for sales cash goes missing.

Ah, I figured there'd be some red tape fluttering about. Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Very disappointing crowd last night. Nearly half what we would normally have for a home league game. Considering Limerick had nearly 2000 at their game it is hard to put it down to solely being a Monday night.

Thought we did really well considering the injuries. The likes of Hanley, Oji and Keegan really stepped up to the mark, The U19's did as well as you could expect. The free for the Drogheda goal was a needless one and we could have Knicked the game if we were a bit more clinical. Saying that Drogheda looked a poor team and their finishing was bad.

FAI cup against Dundalk on Friday. Id be inclined to blood some more of the younger players against them. We need to focus on picking up as many points as possible in the league now and getting lads back from Injury. The relegation spot is getting uncomfortably close.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Very disappointing crowd last night. Nearly half what we would normally have for a home league game. Considering Limerick had nearly 2000 at their game it is hard to put it down to solely being a Monday night.

Thought we did really well considering the injuries. The likes of Hanley, Oji and Keegan really stepped up to the mark, The U19's did as well as you could expect. The free for the Drogheda goal was a needless one and we could have Knicked the game if we were a bit more clinical. Saying that Drogheda looked a poor team and their finishing was bad.

FAI cup against Dundalk on Friday. Id be inclined to blood some more of the younger players against them. We need to focus on picking up as many points as possible in the league now and getting lads back from Injury. The relegation spot is getting uncomfortably close.
    Given how poor, indecisive and error prone we were at the back id find it hard to say Oji stepped up, hes the highest paid player at the club and has been sub standard all season. Hanley made some good saves but again he was horribly indecisive and never came for the ball on at least three maybe four occasions that he should have.

Definitely should dismiss the FAI Cup game, the league cup has taken too much out of us as is so best to write it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

_Puma_ wrote: »

If you paid 15 quid in to either or both the last two home league games in which the fare on offer was mind numbing, I wouldn't be surprised if people decided to give it a miss on a Monday night.

Personally even though I am a season ticket holder I couldn't face a 250 Km round trip on the off chance of a good game.

Seven Worlds will Collide

If you paid 15 quid in to either or both the last two home league games in which the fare on offer was mind numbing, I wouldn't be surprised if people decided to give it a miss on a Monday night.

Personally even though I am a season ticket holder I couldn't face a 250 Km round trip on the off chance of a good game.

The Liverpool game on tv didnt help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The 7pm rain put me off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

Something dodgy going on up in Longford so as I don't remember receiving a ticket earlier in the year :D

I think we did alright last night - especially the two young lads - it wasn't an easy ask of them to step in like that and they did well. It can only go well for the future of the club with our young lads given that kind of experience to. We were up against it in the 2nd half but considering players being played out of position to, I think we did well. I think where we got caught out was in height...drogheda bossed the balls in the air all night so If anything we probably should have played the ball on the ground when we got the chance instead of hoofing it up the field. I think we have a great player in Keegan...he will chase and chase and chase. I hope we can hang onto him for next year.

The biggest disappointment for me was the crowd attendance...I mean there was probably 25,000+ Galway people in Croke Park, just the day before yesterday!!! The infuriating thing is, the cup final will probably sell out then (which is great in short term, but long term is of no good).

and I'm sorry but this comment;

you can have this with any sport....GAA, MMA, Premier League, Rugby etc... in fact you'l pay more and travel further in most cases!

I won't go into it all further - wasted too much time on this conversation manys a time before - I guess the LOI is what it is...you either like it...like it when it suits...or don't like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Hi,

I am living away from Galway now and I was going to travel back for the cup final in sept. What I need to know is, would I need to get tickets before the game or would I be able to get them at the gate?

Thanks for any info

Jjiipp79 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am living away from Galway now and I was going to travel back for the cup final in sept. What I need to know is, would I need to get tickets before the game or would I be able to get them at the gate?

Thanks for any info

I'd advise you to get them in advance just in case. Hopefully it'll be a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Huge game v Longford Town at Terryland tonight.

Time is running out, wins are needed. Drogheda are currently leading Derry City away...

At least Connolly Walsh Ludden and Curran are back it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

It was a big win tonight. 4-2. 4-0 up at one point. Another hattrick for Jake Keegan.

Limerick beat St. Pat's and Drogheda beat Derry so it was important to pick up the win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Great win..... The next game just gets bigger!!!

Many at the game tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Very enjoyable evening in Terryland, and a crucial 3 points. Jake Keegan has been superb this year. In addition to being top scorer, he contributes so much in terms of his general play as well. I don't remember him having a bad game all season.

The official attendance was a disappointing 759, but the bumper GAA weekend probably had a part to play in that.

The 2nd and 3rd goals were absolutely superb too, there must have been 30 passes in the build up to the Jakes second i think. Great win, thought Oji was outstanding tonight, best ive seen of him yet and ive been critical of many of his performances.

Any idea what the penalty was for?

Not a clue, off the ball incident of some sort. O'Leary seemed to be the culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Jake Keegan: "It was a HUGE win"
    Obviously I’m happy with my own performance tonight, but you have to look at the service I received. I mean, the set piece deliveries from Jay (Jason Molloy) and Ryan (Connolly) were top notch. Then for the third goal, there must have been 20 or 30 passes in the build up. It’s one of the best team goals you’ll see all season. I think the fans were singing oles for 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bonnysturgeon

Not a Galway United supporter, but was just looking at the History of Eamonn Deacy Park on team website and saw that the club was actually called Galway Rovers. Then for some reason changed to United over forty years later. Was there a reason at all for this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Can you buy tickets anywhere in town for Sat match ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

youngrun wrote: »
    Try O'Brien's newsagents, they were selling season tickets at the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

youngrun wrote: »
    death1234567 is right, O'Brien's Newsagents (on William Street) are definitely selling tickets. Only adult tickets are remaining though.

The Dail bar also.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Won't be in Galway this weekend, sadly, but glad to hear that tickets seem to be selling well for the league cup final. The Comer stand is now sold out according to Galway United's twitter account.

Won't be in Galway this weekend, sadly, but glad to hear that tickets seem to be selling well for the league cup final. The Comer stand is now sold out according to Galway United's twitter account.

Ya the Comer was sold out yesterday, back to the Old Stand for me.

Tomorrow is the big day. Can't wait for it now!

Cant wait too, just hope we dont fail to turn up like in some of the big cup semi finals etc in the late 90's, lets hope its the better performances like the relegation playoffs of recent years instead.

• Advertisement

Have a good feeling about this, hopefully the big crowd will lift the team like the play-off last year.

Looking forward to tomorrow (I'm collecting a new car in the morning too)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement