Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United 2015 season - MOD Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Is that the squad that was on 18000 a week?
    All relative. Full celtic tiger mode. How many squads do you think are on 18000 a week now in the league?

I forgot we're paying our players with stamps and petrol money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Oji is getting a nice whack and based on his performances all season long, he doesn't deserve a penny of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Oji is getting a nice whack and based on his performances all season long, he doesn't deserve a penny of it.

No one forced the club to sign him.

All relative. Full celtic tiger mode. How many squads do you think are on 18000 a week now in the league?

I forgot we're paying our players with stamps and petrol money!!

You are the one comparing the performance of a full time squad who some members when injured spent their time in the pub to a team of mainly local lads who mostly are working or in college.

One lot were an overpaid bunch who helped bankrupted the club and underperformed for a lot of the season

The other are a bunch of local lads trying their best for little reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Right now we're playing several players who are either carrying injuries or nowhere near match fit and big players are totally out of form like Jake Keegan.

Jake was quieter than usual in the Sligo and Limerick games, but in fairness I think he's played every minute of every game this season so that's probably taking its toll.

Hopefully he can pick it up again for the last few games, particularly with Padraig Cunningham out and Enda struggling with injury.

I think targeting a point in Oriel Park on Friday shouldn't be unrealistic given that Dundalk will be in title celebration mode. But whether United can overcome their inferiority complex when playing bigger teams is another question.

• Advertisement

Dundalk and Pats will turn us despite having little to play for.

Come on United...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Come on United...

Superb point, and Drogs losing was important, unfortunately Longford had a great win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Good night for United. Longford unfortunately have moved out of the relegation equation though. Hopefully they'll be out to at least get a point at Drogheda next week to make sure of their spot in the Premier Division. Couple of important games tomorrow also.

Importantly we have the edge on goal difference to Drogheda and Limerick which may prove important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

You are the one comparing the performance of a full time squad who some members when injured spent their time in the pub to a team of mainly local lads who mostly are working or in college.

One lot were an overpaid bunch who helped bankrupted the club and underperformed for a lot of the season

The other are a bunch of local lads trying their best for little reward.
    Your comments make less sense, the more you go on.

I don't think we should be comparing our current squad's injury status with any other United squad and unfortunately, our current squad isn't free of the culture you're slamming the 2008 squad for having either.

Naive comment, no player or manager "bankrupts" a club. It's the morons above that sets the budgets. Every manager will spend the money he gets.

Again, I forgot the current group are representing United for the love of the game and "little reward".

• Advertisement

Your comments make less sense, the more you go on.

I don't think we should be comparing our current squad's injury status with any other United squad and unfortunately, our current squad isn't free of the culture you're slamming the 2008 squad for having either.

Naive comment, no player or manager "bankrupts" a club. It's the morons above that sets the budgets. Every manager will spend the money he gets.

Again, I forgot the current group are representing United for the love of the game and "little reward".

Are you suggesting that young college kids should be tea totalers?

Are you suggesting that young college kids should be tea totalers?
    I'm not suggesting any player should be a tea totaler. I just thought your remark was stupid. It exists in both squads and it's not exclusive to players in college either.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you both mean "teetotaler"?

Either way, step up the civility please.

biko wrote: »
    Did you both mean "teetotaler"?

Either way, step up the civility please.
    No need for over-modding.

We're both United fans, with different opinions.

The Derry and bohs wins were great for us, hopefully rovers and pats do their jobs next weekend and we get something in bray to leave us needing maybe a point against Pats on the final day.

And that was the season that was.

I saw that Connolly, Cunningham and Horgan have re-signed for next year, which is great.

Any news/rumours about the rest of the team and their status for 2016?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

And that was the season that was.

I saw that Connolly, Cunningham and Horgan have re-signed for next year, which is great.

Any news/rumours about the rest of the team and their status for 2016?

Rumours of a couple leaving or gone ?? Oji , and usa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Everybody's contracts were up at the end of the season, so some are bound to go.

I wouldn't shed too many tears if Oji's gone, but I hope Jake gets re-signed. Always gives 100%.

I wouldn't shed too many tears if Oji's gone, but I hope Jake gets re-signed. Always gives 100%.

Ya oji,oconnell, oleary ,saarelma can all be easily replaced and the budget spent more wisely.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Ya oji,oconnell, oleary ,saarelma can all be easily replaced and the budget spent more wisely.

It would be good to get a few of the prodigal galway sons back from throughout the l o i

youngrun wrote: »
    It would be good to get a few of the prodigal galway sons back from throughout the l o i

Not too sure about that, Alan Keane had a poor season in sligo,Russell only played 13 times and is the fai development officer for sligo. Stephen won't be leaving dundalk. I'd take Aaron green and Karl Shephard but we won't be in for them.

Winn re-signed today too.

youngrun wrote: »
    Which ones could we get realistically?

Stephen O'Donnell and Daryl Horgan won't sign for us. They're on massive money in Dundalk and playing Champions League football. John Russell was ravaged by injuries in 2015, he only played 13 league games and has an FAI job in Sligo. Why would we sign Alan Keane when we have a superior right back in Colm Horgan. He's 31 and over the hill now, has no legs anymore. That leaves Vinny Faherty? Probably the only worthwhile candidate of them all, even if his last spell with us was underwhelming.

Which ones could we get realistically?

Stephen O'Donnell and Daryl Horgan won't sign for us. They're on massive money in Dundalk and playing Champions League football. John Russell was ravaged by injuries in 2015, he only played 13 league games and has an FAI job in Sligo. Why would we sign Alan Keane when we have a superior right back in Colm Horgan. He's 31 and over the hill now, has no legs anymore. That leaves Vinny Faherty? Probably the only worthwhile candidate of them all, even if his last spell with us was underwhelming.

While I've always liked vinny I think if we keep Jake, Enda and Padraig then we don't really need him. If jake leaves,which I suspect he will, then I think we need a similar sort of player ie hard work and pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Which ones could we get realistically

And it might be an idea for people to stop worrying about the grass being greener and appreciate the talent that is already playing for the club.

I'm not having a go, I had this mindset as well, but it's not realistic.

And it might be an idea for people to stop worrying about the grass being greener and appreciate the talent that is already playing for the club.

I'm not having a go, I had this mindset as well, but it's not realistic.
    The talent at the club needs to be reinforced, not necessarily by other Galway players.

We will have a core of Galway players again next year.

The talent at the club needs to be reinforced, not necessarily by other Galway players.

We will have a core of Galway players again next year.

Exactly, the best of this seasons squad must be kept, then added to with better depth and quality than this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Vinny shoulda been signed last year. Be more realistic than Greene and Shep.

Vinny shoulda been signed last year. Be more realistic than Greene and Shep.
    To be honest, I don't think a striker was our issue last season whatsoever. We had two strikers who grabbed 12 league goals each and Cunningham's emergence was one of the big positives of the season.

Limerick have surprisingly been relegated tonight, we should be looking at their squad. Hall, Turner, Duggan, Lynch, Clarke, Faherty and O'Conor would all be welcome additions and they wouldn't break the bank but we would face some competition for some.

• Advertisement

Tommy Dunne signed a new contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement