Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United 2015 season - MOD Warning in Post #1

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Tommy Dunne signed a new contract.
    Glad to see the club has acted swiftly on this. Overall he has earned an extension.

It's very important that we bring together a better squad in 2016, last season things were left far too late and pre-season was a nightmare. He's made a good start by re-signing Connolly, Horgan, Cunningham and Winn.

The lionshare of our squad should be signed before Christmas and hopefully we will hit the ground running with a proper pre-season under our belt. We survived this year and learned a lot of harsh lessons, we have to learn from those experiences and improve in 2016. Hopefully the squad will have benefited from that year in the Premier Division.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

I hope Dunne cuts the deadwood and stops signing dodgy foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

deisedude wrote: »
    I hope Dunne cuts the deadwood and stops signing dodgy foreigners.

Yeah, we don't want another Jake Keegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Hahaha hilarious

obviously means Oji, Garcia & Saarelma.

But yeah assume he means the only good example not the three bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

I should have mentioned Jake Keegan being the exception. Even Oji had played well for Limerick the year before so thats forgivable

However I doubt Dunne ever saw Garcia or Saarelma play before he signed them. If he saw Garcia play for 5 minutes he should have known he wasn't up to much

I'd much prefer Dunne to spend the money on local lads.

Look I don't want to be too critical of Dunne as I think he has done a very good job with strict finances but its just frustrating to see him waste money on the likes of Garcia and Saarelma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Dithering over whether to keep or get rid of a manager can be disastrous, so I agree that the swift reappointment of Dunne was a good move overall.

Some of his decisions this year were questionable (Garcia & Saarelma, as mentioned above, and starting Colm O'Donovan against Shamrock Rovers when he clearly wasn't ready for that level yet) but overall he deserves another crack at it next season.

Strengthening the defence, trying to keep Keegan, and maybe adding a decent winger would be my main priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Dithering over whether to keep or get rid of a manager can be disastrous, so I agree that the swift reappointment of Dunne was a good move overall.

Some of his decisions this year were questionable (Garcia & Saarelma, as mentioned above, and starting Colm O'Donovan against Shamrock Rovers when he clearly wasn't ready for that level yet) but overall he deserves another crack at it next season.

Strengthening the defence, trying to keep Keegan, and maybe adding a decent winger would be my main priorities.

Wondered what happened to Colm O'Donovan alright.
    Was at EDP that night against Rovers and having the guy taken off at H/T really showed that Tommy got it wrong starting him on the night.

Yeah, I'm not having a go at O'Donovan, I'm sure he can develop into a decent player, but Dunne was at fault for throwing him in at the deep end when he wasn't ready.

Coming up to Christmas - 15 players are signed, what do United fans think of our squad so far?

2016 squad
    Conor Winn - Kevin Horgan

Colm Horgan - Cormac Raftery - Stephen Folan - Kilian Cantwell - Stephen Walsh - Marc Ludden

Gary Shanahan - Ryan Connolly - Paul Sinnott - John Sullivan - Conor Melody

Padraic Cunningham - Vinny Faherty

Players yet to be signed from our 2015 squad: Ger Hanley, Sam Oji, Andy O'Connell, Conor Barry, Alex Byrne, David O'Leary, Jason Molloy, Tomi Saarlema, Jake Keegan (Gone to Edmonton), Enda Curran, Aran McConnell, Antoine O'Laoi.

I would sign Alex Byrne, Enda Curran, Aran McConnell and possibly Jason Molloy from that list, depending on how badly we need wide players (I'm still not convinced by Molloy). That would take us to a 19 man squad, we would need at least 3 more additions from outside then.

Winn will probably be our #1, Kevin Horgan his deputy. We have plenty of cover at right back and centre back, Sinnott could cover both positions if needs be. Left back is a worry, Marc missed a lot of last season, forcing Colm Horgan to play out of position at left back too much.

Our biggest concern is wide areas I think, we were weak there last season. We need some natural width, both sides need further reinforcements.

With the expected signings of Byrne and hopefully McConnell, we should have enough options in the middle. Even if Enda Curran re signs I would look for us to sign a pacey striker to replace Keegan. We will have plenty of options then and strikers that give us different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Coming up to Christmas - 15 players are signed, what do United fans think of our squad so far?

2016 squad
    Conor Winn - Kevin Horgan

Colm Horgan - Cormac Raftery - Stephen Folan - Kilian Cantwell - Stephen Walsh - Marc Ludden

Gary Shanahan - Ryan Connolly - Paul Sinnott - John Sullivan - Conor Melody

Padraic Cunningham - Vinny Faherty

Players yet to be signed from our 2015 squad: Ger Hanley, Sam Oji, Andy O'Connell, Conor Barry, Alex Byrne, David O'Leary, Jason Molloy, Tomi Saarlema, Jake Keegan (Gone to Edmonton), Enda Curran, Aran McConnell, Antoine O'Laoi.

I would sign Alex Byrne, Enda Curran, Aran McConnell and possibly Jason Molloy from that list, depending on how badly we need wide players (I'm still not convinced by Molloy). That would take us to a 19 man squad, we would need at least 3 more additions from outside then.

Winn will probably be our #1, Kevin Horgan his deputy. We have plenty of cover at right back and centre back, Sinnott could cover both positions if needs be. Left back is a worry, Marc missed a lot of last season, forcing Colm Horgan to play out of position at left back too much.

Our biggest concern is wide areas I think, we were weak there last season. We need some natural width, both sides need further reinforcements.

With the expected signings of Byrne and hopefully McConnell, we should have enough options in the middle. Even if Enda Curran re signs I would look for us to sign a pacey striker to replace Keegan. We will have plenty of options then and strikers that give us different things.

Yeah, i would think Byrne is an absolute must to get signed up.

• Advertisement

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Yeah, i would think Byrne is an absolute must to get signed up.
    Definitely, he's a very promising player.

When you think about it, we honestly had terrible luck with injuries last year. We probably would've finished at least a position or two higher if Cunningham, Byrne, Cantwell and O'Connell didn't miss large chunks of the season. Molloy, Curran, Connolly, Ludden and Oji also struggled with injuries through the year also.

Hopefully we won't suffer as much next season. Byrne underwent major surgery in the off season and I don't think he will be back until April.

There were instances where players definitely weren't looking after themselves, supporters would know who these players are, but for the most part it, it was just rotten luck... Cunningham had a seemingly innocuous fall in training... Ripped his knee ligaments, missed the rest of the season. O'Connell was on the end of a bad tackle against Cockhill Celtic (he won a penalty) then missed 5 months, just as he was starting to show promise. Cantwell turned his knee awkwardly in the clubs pre-season camp in February, he didn't play for 4-5 months. Alex Byrne picked up a bad groin injury in training, which required surgery, he is recovering still.

Some decent signings to date but Jake is obviously a major loss. Player of the year in 2015, played in every game, if he hadn't been in the team we'd be looking ahead to First Division football in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I hope Cunningham comes back as a starter. He was a beast. I think he added more than Curran up front with his strength.

Jake is a huge loss.

I don't know how I feel about Oji. The defense could have been worse but he seemed to be at fault quite a bit. Byrne and Molloy should be re-signed.

I wonder if they are looking outside much. It's interesting that they brought in two Americans and a Fin. I wonder where else they may be scouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I wonder if they are looking outside much. It's interesting that they brought in two Americans and a Fin. I wonder where else they may be scouting.

There's no scouting as such. Tommy Dunne played in Finland and his wife is Finnish. Keegan was recommended to, and turned down by, St Pat's. Dunne heard about him through that. Kevin Garcia was signed based on a Youtube video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Kevin Garcia was signed based on a Youtube video.

Jeepers :eek:

There's no scouting as such. Tommy Dunne played in Finland and his wife is Finnish. Keegan was recommended to, and turned down by, St Pat's. Dunne heard about him through that. Kevin Garcia was signed based on a Youtube video.
    Not many League of Ireland clubs have scouts. Most managers have networks across the country/in other countries.

Half of what you said is true, Keegan was recommended to Buckley at Pats by an American scout/agent, Buckley didn't want him and he recommended Keegan to Dunne. Then Keegan came to Galway for pre-season training and was signed off the back of an impressive showing.

That Kevin Garcia rumour is nonsense. How do supporters actually believe stuff like that? The same scout who brought Keegan to Ireland recommended Garcia to Dunne but it didn't work out. He was a disaster but he wasn't signed after Dunne watched him in a YouTube video... Harsh lesson but I'm sure the club will learn from them though. You simply must see a player in pre-season training before signing them and from what I have heard we will be bringing in a few players for pre-season training. Possibly through the same scout/agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We definitely need someone who can play wide left, seems like Sullivan will fill the defensive midfield role. I'd actually be surprised if we go looking for another striker given what we have, doesnt mean i agree with it but ive a feeling thats Dunne's thinking.

That Kevin Garcia rumour is nonsense. How do supporters actually believe stuff like that? The same scout who brought Keegan to Ireland recommended Garcia to Dunne but it didn't work out. He was a disaster but he wasn't signed after Dunne watched him in a YouTube video... Harsh lesson but I'm sure the club will learn from them though. You simply must see a player in pre-season training before signing them and from what I have heard we will be bringing in a few players for pre-season training. Possibly through the same scout/agent.

Had Dunne ever seen Garcia play in person when he signed him?

Definitely not. Signed him on a scout recommendation is what I heard, same fella who brought Jake to Ireland.

• Advertisement

I have slated TD before but the Garcia rumour was BS.

Our signings were very poor last year. Not many of them did well. Our signings have been better this season IMO. Faherty, Sullivan and Folan all have a lot of LOI experience. Pretty proven at this level. We still need 3 more additions from outside I think.

Folan has been fairly slated by Limerick fans. Then again, they all raved about Oji so hopefully they'll be wrong again.

Folan has been fairly slated by Limerick fans. Then again, they all raved about Oji so hopefully they'll be wrong again.
    Yes, they did rave about Oji, and they also thought Faherty was wonderful and you think he's very average... it's funny how different people view the game.

Folan is a solid Premier Division defender, he will be an addition if he settles down and focuses. He has a difficult time of late with his personal circumstances. Hopefully playing week in, week out and being at home will settle him down. Our centre-half options are good in Walsh, Cantwell, Folan - Sinnott cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Garcia was training with Utd for 6 weeks before he signed.He had feck all talent but he gave everything on the pitch.Oji was a total disaster for €800 a week and questions need to be asked about that for sure.Not a fan of Dunne because I believe other results kept us up and he was very negative.

Garcia was training with Utd for 6 weeks before he signed.He had feck all talent but he gave everything on the pitch
    Garcia was signed before he travelled to Ireland. His clearance to play didn't arrive for weeks but he trained as normal with the rest of the squad in the meantime.

Difficult start to the season, we're away from home in three of our four opening League games. We will have 16 home League games in 2016.

St. Pats v Galway United
    Galway United v Bray Wanderers
    Sligo Rovers v Galway United
    Derry City v Galway United

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Difficult start to the season, we're away from home in three of our four opening League games. We will have 16 home League games in 2016.

St. Pats v Galway United
    Galway United v Bray Wanderers
    Sligo Rovers v Galway United
    Derry City v Galway United

Need to get something from that Bray game early as Sligo and Derry may benefit from their new managers being in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway people that don't have access to Soccer forum, please apply now. Although I'm sure most posters here are already active posters in soccer too.

This thread is coming to an end as season 2015 draws to a close.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement