Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United 2015 season - MOD Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

_Puma_ wrote: »
    I've never seen Terryland as full as the last time they we played the "Liverpool 11" a few years ago. Game was rubbish and Galway ended up winning 1-0. Far better standard of games being played in Terryland on a Friday night in the League. Seems like a needless friendly on the squads one weekend off without a game. Will pull in the punters, but I'd be more worried about lads picking up injuries. We have been very unlucky so far this season in that regard.

A 45 minute run around with all the squad being used wouldnt overly worry me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Seems like a needless friendly

They will make a killing. No price gouging on the tickets, place will be filled. Friendlies like this have shown that people just want to see lads in the Liverpool/United/whatever jersey run around for 90 mins.

They're happy, the club makes money and it will be put to use. Not like the last friendly against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Friendlies like this have shown that people just want to see lads in the Liverpool/United/whatever jersey run around for 90 mins.

That's embarrassing, but true.

Would love to see United get a result against S******k R****s tomorrow night. It's far from an impossible task (Rovers were pretty poor against Bohs in their last game) but the defending from set pieces needs to be much better than it was against Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

That's embarrassing, but true..
    How is it embarrassing?

Intifada wrote: »
    How is it embarrassing?

Id imagine you can guess why he described it as embarrassing, no need to go down the route of one of those overdone conversations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Gotta love Tommy Dunne finally offloads McDonagh who he clearly never thought good enough to play for us in the first place. And decides to recruit a 4th goalkeeper with young Horgan joining? Woop de **** more great allocation of "limited" funds. At least he was smart enough to sign a striker. Wonder if he will play him.

Gotta love Tommy Dunne finally offloads McDonagh who he clearly never thought good enough to play for us in the first place. And decides to recruit a 4th goalkeeper with young Horgan joining? Woop de **** more great allocation of "limited" funds. At least he was smart enough to sign a striker. Wonder if he will play him.

It's not Dunne's fault if McDonagh was not ready for first team. It's very difficult to develop players when you are in the Premier Division and there is no reserve league to blood players in.

Aaron is 20 years of age. He needs to be playing. There are only so many spots in the team. I'd say that letting him go was the right thing for everybody.

Kevin Horgan was obviously signed for the u19s, who kick-off in August, and also as backup. If any of the other 3 keepers go in the July, backup will be needed.

Id imagine you can guess why he described it as embarrassing, no need to go down the route of one of those overdone conversations.

Should pipe down so

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭_Puma_

My initial reaction was Horgan must be for the 19's too but Tommy statement reads to me like he will be on the Senior bench but will also be eligible to play with the 19s.

Should pipe down so

Everyone has their opinion.

• Advertisement

Many of you may have seen this already but it's a terrific 10-minute clip recorded around Rovers' last game, the derby against Bohs. It really gives a sense of how special the league of Ireland can be on good days:

And decides to recruit a 4th goalkeeper with young Horgan joining? Woop de **** more great allocation of "limited" funds.

Connor Gleeson departs United

Kinda suprised it was him cut but one simply had to go with Horgan arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

We had 3 poor keepers and he was maybe the best of them by a tiny margin. Seemed to have no command under a high ball. Obviously it's probably too early to be throwing the u19 lad in but it's an area of weakness in the team imo.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    We had 3 poor keepers and he was maybe the best of them by a tiny margin. Seemed to have no command under a high ball. Obviously it's probably too early to be throwing the u19 lad in but it's an area of weakness in the team imo.

Unfortunately the biggest area of weakness is the lack of ability at defending set pieces, as evidenced yet again by two goals tonight.

I'd have dropped Winn before dropping Gleeson. Aside from being big Winn doesnt offer much.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Why are we all assuming that Gleeson was dropped and that he didn't leave of his own accord?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Why are we all assuming that Gleeson was dropped and that he didn't leave of his own accord?

We're not. Those of us who think there could be any number of reasons for his departure probably feel that didn't need pointing out. Maybe it does.

We're not. Those of us who think there could be any number of reasons for his departure probably feel that didn't need pointing out. Maybe it does.

I do think you are one of that GUST lot. If you know so much care to enlighten us?

• Advertisement

I do think you are one of that GUST lot. If you know so much care to enlighten us?

Long story, but no, I'm not one of them. I'm just saying that things are being assumed without anything to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Mars Bar wrote: »

He didn't leave of his own accord. It was entirely Dunne's decision.

He didn't leave of his own accord. It was entirely Dunne's decision.

Which is normally how things work. Or does Galway have a Director of Football that controls comings and goings Civis?

Which is normally how things work. Or does Galway have a Director of Football that controls comings and goings Civis?

Pinturicchio probably knows what he is talking about. Doesn't often happen, but true in this case :D

There is no director of football. Tommy has complete autonomy on the playing side, as long as he stays within his budget. As it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

5 goals from set pieces in the last 2 games. Awful stuff. Sam Oji was heralded as a big signing at the start of the season but he isn't up to much from what I've seen so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Any video from this , goals, highlights etc ? Only home game missed this season with work commitments.

youngrun wrote: »
    Any video from this , goals, highlights etc ? Only home game missed this season with work commitments.

There's an embargo on highlights until after Soccer Republic airs on Monday nights.

There will be short (usually) highlights from it on Soccer Republic tonight. Programme starts at 11.05pm.

More substantial highlights from Galway United TV usually go up that night or in the couple of days that follow.

5 goals from set pieces in the last 2 games. Awful stuff. Sam Oji was heralded as a big signing at the start of the season but he isn't up to much from what I've seen so far.

He's been a liability since day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

He's been a liability since day 1

Hopefully he'll hit his stride sooner rather than later

• Advertisement

The defending for the two Rovers goals looked bad on the night but truly awful when watched back on Soccer Republic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement