Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

He is entitled to his stance if he wants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Read my posts, I've already stated that I believe it is ......... but that's only in my own personal opinion.

However another poster made a relevant point here ......... if a heterosexual married man with children born in wedlock asked this printer to print the material then in all likelihood the printer would still have refused to print the invitations ....... so the printer not be discriminating against the individual (gay or straight) but rather the material itself ......... can one discriminate against inanimate objects?

Yes, I think that is another good point.
    I think if a gay person walks into the shop and asks to buy some fruit and they say no I'm not serving you you're gay, that's discriminating against a gay customer
    If a straight person walks in and asks them to do up gay marriage flyers and they say no, I don't think that's discriminating against a gay customer?

They're still tools either way, mind you, but if they want to turn down business let them suffer the consequences themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

stimpson wrote: »
    You really haven't a clue, have you?

From http://www.equality.ie/en/Information/Equal-Status/

The shop is in beach of the legislation as they have discriminated based on Sexual Orientation. It's not that difficult to understand.

Religious beliefs are not covered in that I don't think. Not meaning it's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The shop is in beach of the legislation as they have discriminated based on Sexual Orientation. It's not that difficult to understand.

But it was proven he did business with the man for 4 years prior. He objected to the material being printed, NOT the sexual orientation of the man. He would have similarly objected to the printing if say, a straight man tried to order them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This is the best suggestion on the thread.

Piping hot, under ten Euro (including an Asahi beer), surcharge for skullets.

Asahi? Feck that pish, nothing more than Japanese Bud! Yona Yona all the way! :D

And no surcharge for skullets either, if there's one thing I respect John Waters for, it's having the guts and fortitude of character to rock that hairstyle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

wouldnt it be just so simple to print the cards. so simple

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Read my posts, I've already stated that I believe it is ......... but that's only in my own personal opinion.

However another poster made a relevant point here ......... if a heterosexual married man with children born in wedlock asked this printer to print the material then in all likelihood the printer would still have refused to print the invitations ....... so the printer not be discriminating against the individual (gay or straight) but rather the material itself ......... can one discriminate against inanimate objects?

Except he didn't, did he? He refused a homosexual man. Ergo, it's discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Ah .......... but the printer did not discriminate against a person ........ he refused to print objectionable (in his opinion) material ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Except he didn't, did he? He refused a homosexual man. Ergo, it's discrimination.

It's not, unless he has printed same sex civil ceremony invitations for a heterosexual person before or since

Timmyctc wrote: »
    But it was proven he did business with the man for 4 years prior. He objected to the material being printed, NOT the sexual orientation of the man. He would have similarly objected to the printing if say, a straight man tried to order them.

It doesn't matter. If he has printed invitations for a straight couple in the past, then it's discrimination. Even by their own statement it's discrimination.

I'm embarrassed for you all that this has to be pointed out to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah .......... but the printer did not discriminate against a person ........ he refused to print objectionable (in his opinion) material ;)

It's a bit like that flower company who won't print "jesus" and other words on their message cards

He refuse to print material, Not refused to serve the customer. He printed stuff in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Cody montana

bjork wrote: »
    I was refused entry from the Gay sauna in Dublin on the basis of my sex.

Opps I forgot, discrimination by some groups is celebrated

Why would a woman go to a gay sauna?

He refuse to print material, Not refused to server the customer. He printed stuff in the past.

and served the customer for 4 years previously

Why would a woman go to a gay sauna?

Why would a homosexual go to a religious printer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

So if (WARNING: EXTREME EXAMPLE WITHIN, DO NOT REPLY IF YOU DON't UNDERSTAND THE POINT OF THE EXAMPLE BEING MADE)
    a gay man came in and called the man a dickweasel, or punched him in the throat, and the man said, "Oi, not serving you" Is that discrimination?

There's evidence showing he actually dealt with the man over 4 years. So the sexual orientation isn't his gripe. Its the material he is being ASKED (Not forced; Asked) to print. He expressed his right to refuse admission (SELF EMPLOYED) and did so, politely, on the basis of his staunch religious beliefs. If a transphobic level 6 warlock t-rex asked him to print the material, he would say no. If a straight woman asked him he would say no. If a cow asked him he would say no. If I asked him he would say no.

DO.YOU.UNDERSTAND?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

He actually refused to print homosexual material ........

Ergo, it's totally legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

K4t wrote: »
    Ideally, what would happen here is that people (gay and non-gay) would boycott the store, forcing the storeowners to change their policy (and hopefully ridiculous religious views), or to go out of business.

And what would happen if an intolerant neighbourhood boycotted the only shop that openly welcomed a minority group?

We don't leave the social fabric to the whims of the mob. We develop laws and standards to uphold the rights of minorities to peaceful enjoyment of the resources of their community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think that should be your choice really.
    If john waters published yet another article on how much he hates gay people then walks into a gay people run shop I don't think they should be obliged to serve him

Nope, even if I did have that choice, I wouldn't refuse to serve him. He's entitled to his opinion and I don't think that opinion should be used against him to refuse service. Now if he's abusive to staff or other customers, that's a whole other bowl of ramen, and I'd ask him to leave. But just as I wouldn't expect to be refused service for my opinions or other grounds, I shouldn't do it to someone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I wonder if this printer even advertised the fact that he will only print materials according to his strict religious beliefs. I'll send him some pictures from lubeyourtube and ask him to print them...

• Advertisement

Maybe hard for people to believe but maybe either side did not talk about their private lives openly just a thought.

Or do people think below conversation is the norm.

How can I help you today

“IM GAY”

He refuse to print material, Not refused to serve the customer. He printed stuff in the past.

He treated someone differently because of their sexuality. That's discrimination under the legislation.

A "religious printer"

Do they have a cross over the door and give out free holy communion at the receptionists desk?

And gay people can be religious.:rolleyes:

Again, why would you do to a gay sauna?

Links234 wrote: »
    Nope, even if I did have that choice, I wouldn't refuse to serve him..

I know , and I'm saying that's your choice- and I think it should remain that way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I don't know.

But the people who published David Norris's autobiography "Kicking Against The Pricks" were printers who went to a religious homosexual, and may be able to shed some light on the matter.

I wonder if this printer even advertised the fact that he will only print materials according to his strict religious beliefs. I'll send him some pictures from lubeyourtube and ask him to print them...

“I was shocked. I didn’t know what was going to come out of his mouth. He said it would be the same instance if somebody came in and they wanted to get a picture of a nude woman printed. We wouldn’t be able to do that either.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/gay-couple-infuriated-and-shocked-at-printers-refusal-to-make-civil-ceremony-invitations-31043312.html

He treated someone differently because of their sexuality. That's discrimination under the legislation.

NO, he refused to print material. He printed material for the Gay customer for 4 years previously. He refused to print material he found questionable. And I don't think this would get very far into the legal process. Hence all over social media.

A "religious printer"

Do they have a cross over the door and give out free holy communion at the receptionists desk?

And gay people can be religious.:rolleyes:

Again, why would you do to a gay sauna?

Get steamed and use the sauna facilities

but the bigots won't let me :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

“I was shocked. I didn’t know what was going to come out of his mouth. He said it would be the same instance if somebody came in and they wanted to get a picture of a nude woman printed. We wouldn’t be able to do that either.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/gay-couple-infuriated-and-shocked-at-printers-refusal-to-make-civil-ceremony-invitations-31043312.html

Some people in this country. I'm amazed their knuckles don't bleed from being dragged on the ground.

• Advertisement

Get steamed and use the sauna facilities

but the bigots won't let me :(

So if I want to take a dump in a woman's toilet can I claim I'm being discriminated against?
    Or stay in a woman's ward or I don't know, if a gay person want's to get married in a church.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement