Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hopefully not a jinx as it's an honest question but Estrada's perfect through 7 but Toronto haven't gotten him a run yet so if he goes 9 (he's thrown 90 pitches so far) but the game goes to extras, that doesn't count as a perfect game does it?

Wow, Josh Donaldson just dived into the 2nd row to get the first out of the 8th.

EDIT - But he fails to make the play on the next guy so perfect game gone. To be fair it was a tough play to make. Now Estrada has top worry about not getting the loss here as the offence have done nothing for him so far!

This is a great game by the way. i love 0-0 baseball with both pitchers giving up nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

This is a great game by the way. i love 0-0 baseball with both pitchers giving up nothing.

I was watching it myself. Nerve-wracking stuff. Pity about the end of the no-no (his second near attempt in a row!) but at least he got the win. He's been a great pick-up from the Brewers.

The Donaldson play was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Anyone else watching Astros @ Angels? 1-1 heading for the 10th. Enjoyable game so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,748 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mets three outs from getting a win leading the Brewers 2-0 middle 9th. Ive not seen many live games the last month other then highlights of the Mets and others but watching tonight.

Mets halt the seven game losing streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mets halt the seven game losing streak.

De Gromme has been excellent looks a true ace this season, still very young

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mets three outs from getting a win leading the Brewers 2-0 middle 9th. Ive not seen many live games the last month other then highlights of the Mets and others but watching tonight.

You're lucky. the Mets have been awful. Well the pitching has been alright but they can't hit to save their lives. They've scored about 10 runs in the last 10 games. Changes needed badly and needed soon!

De Gromme has been excellent looks a true ace this season, still very young

He's a bit underrated too. All the talk in NY is about Harvey but DeGrom is actually pitching much better this season. It might be a bit of a leap on my part but I wouldn't put him too far behind the Scherzer, Kershaw etc. either.

• Advertisement

He's a bit underrated too. All the talk in NY is about Harvey but DeGrom is actually pitching much better this season. It might be a bit of a leap on my part but I wouldn't put him too far behind the Scherzer, Kershaw etc. either.

He has a long way to go re Sherzer , Kershaw, Ceuto but he is top quality.

Your right as well the NY media is obsessed with Harvey but DeGrom is the true ace on your staff right now. Ye need to make some moves for some bats , surely enough teams struggling now as well to get some big ones on cheap enough deals

He has a long way to go re Sherzer , Kershaw, Ceuto but he is top quality.

Your right as well the NY media is obsessed with Harvey but DeGrom is the true ace on your staff right now. Ye need to make some moves for some bats , surely enough teams struggling now as well to get some big ones on cheap enough deals

Talking of starting pitching, are your lads in Washington ever going to give up a run again?

Talking of starting pitching, are your lads in Washington ever going to give up a run again?

Well Sherzer throws tonight .. so .. I dunno!

Honestly the run has been immense, this is what was envisaged pre season so it's exciting.

There is actual thinking that Sherzer could go all the way again tonight, that's how good the guy is, he inspires ridiculous expectations!

Well Sherzer throws tonight .. so .. I dunno!

Honestly the run has been immense, this is what was envisaged pre season so it's exciting.

There is actual thinking that Sherzer could go all the way again tonight, that's how good the guy is, he inspires ridiculous expectations!

I know you need a lot of luck to go perfect as you get bloop singles and broken bat shots dropping in but if you were ever going to put money on one, Scherzer against the God awful Phillies tonight would be the night to do it.

I know you need a lot of luck to go perfect as you get bloop singles and broken bat shots dropping in but if you were ever going to put money on one, Scherzer against the God awful Phillies tonight would be the night to do it.

Yeah I agree it's almost too perfect a match up. But Franco and Howard are swinging hot bats , tonight will be tough, Philly are better at home.

Honestly though I didn't think Sherzer is as good as he is maybe it was just me not paying enough attention to Detroit's pitching but the guy is a beast.

Yeah I agree it's almost too perfect a match up. But Franco and Howard are swinging hot bats , tonight will be tough, Philly are better at home.

Honestly though I didn't think Sherzer is as good as he is maybe it was just me not paying enough attention to Detroit's pitching but the guy is a beast.

What I like about him is his speed. He's just gets the ball and throws it. None of this wasting time between pitches. Nothing worse than watching a pitcher take an age between each pitch.

What I like about him is his speed. He's just gets the ball and throws it. None of this wasting time between pitches. Nothing worse than watching a pitcher take an age between each pitch.

Yeah agree there, Fister is the same. Get it throw it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Cliff Lee is the master of this. Very quick decision-making between pitches. Miss watching him, hope he comes back

8-10 wrote: »
    Cliff Lee is the master of this. Very quick decision-making between pitches. Miss watching him, hope he comes back

One of my good mates is a Phillies fan and they seem to be 90% certain he is going to retire.

He was immense at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Seattle Mariners who were a sure shot for the World Series according to the simulations have quietly slipped to last place in AL West behind Oakland A's who are getting it together and have won 5 in a row.

• Advertisement

Well he made a good stab at it anyway. Complete domination again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,273 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Met's rookie Syndegaard looks like he's starting to figure it out. Necessary when your team only scores 1 or 2 runs per game.

And, at least the Phillies got rid of their manager. Mets need to clean house esp. the ownership (unlikely) or GM (enough already with rebuilding - fans want wins, not promises.)

Igotadose wrote: »
    Met's rookie Syndegaard looks like he's starting to figure it out. Necessary when your team only scores 1 or 2 runs per game.

And, at least the Phillies got rid of their manager. Mets need to clean house esp. the ownership (unlikely) or GM (enough already with rebuilding - fans want wins, not promises.)

I think the Phillies manager resigned as opposed to them getting rid of him. I don't think their poor record could be put on him anyway. Their roster is terrible.

Same issue with the Mets, awful roster. Offensively anyway. I know they've been obliterated with injuries but every team has injuries and it's about how you deal with it and the Mets have had no plan B. I agree a complete clean house is needed (including Alderson) but that's never going to happen. The last GM (Minaya) got chased out because of some awful signings he made but all this young pitching that's now coming through was drafted on his watch, including the next man up Matz who I'm looking forward to seeing tomorrow.

Only 2 hits again last night and I know they got the win but that's not sustainable so they really need to get bat. Apparently they're something like 20-5 when they score more than 3 runs but they're only 1 win over .500 so it shows what a team they could be. And getting 4 runs isn't asking a lot in fairness.

I'd love to see them bring up the one of either Nimmo or Conforto who are tearing up AA and give them a shot. Management are reluctant to do it because they feel they aren't ready but when what you're putting out there is scoring on average less than 2 runs a game, what ave you got to lose? Throw them in and if they stink, so what. Send them back down until they are ready.

Broken bone in the hand for Stanton apparently. That could put him out for a while.

EDIT- Talk of possible fire sale by Marlins if he's out a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Broken bone in the hand for Stanton apparently. That could put him out for a while.

Man, that's a real shame. :(

He's got Irish roots apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,273 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'd trade for Stanton in a minute, broken bone or not. What a hitter. There was a rumor about Adam Jones from BAL as well, I remember watching him as a Mariner and even though he hadn't figured it out yet, occasionally he'd hit a massive home run at Safeco or someplace like Skydome. Not sure if he's still the same player, but with Lagares needing to be DL'd because of the elbow, he'd make a great acquisition.

Not like Baltimore's selling.

Wilpon(zis) are broke, MLB is backing them up, so they're not going anywhere. MLB forced McCourt to sell the Dodgers and he was pretty slimey, Wilpons dealing multiple times with Ponzi schemes - Madoff wasn't the first - seem outright criminal.

Did you see the article, Fred Wilpon's on the MLB finance committee?
    Laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Igotadose wrote: »
    I'd trade for Stanton in a minute, broken bone or not. What a hitter. There was a rumor about Adam Jones from BAL as well, I remember watching him as a Mariner and even though he hadn't figured it out yet, occasionally he'd hit a massive home run at Safeco or someplace like Skydome. Not sure if he's still the same player, but with Lagares needing to be DL'd because of the elbow, he'd make a great acquisition.

Not like Baltimore's selling.

Wilpon(zis) are broke, MLB is backing them up, so they're not going anywhere. MLB forced McCourt to sell the Dodgers and he was pretty slimey, Wilpons dealing multiple times with Ponzi schemes - Madoff wasn't the first - seem outright criminal.

Did you see the article, Fred Wilpon's on the MLB finance committee?
    Laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Well any trade the Marlins do isn't going to include Stanton of course. Every team in baseball would bite the hand off the Marlins if he was ever put up for trade although the $300m would be an issue for some. Not gonna happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Well any trade the Marlins do isn't going to include Stanton of course. Every team in baseball would bite the hand off the Marlins if he was ever put up for trade although the $300m would be an issue for some. Not gonna happen though.

I'm not so sure they would. The $300 million would be a massive issue for some. Even the Yankees are passing on 10+ year contacts now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Chris Tillman was 13-6 last year with a 3.34 ERA. Stats for 2013 were largely similar

Ok nobody was saying he was an ace but he was the best SP on the team. This year 5-7 and 6.22 ERA :confused:

• Advertisement

The mets win after 13 innings in the game that was suspended yesterday. So nearly a full day and the next one is starting at half nine our time.

Advertisement