Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

I always feared the Mets being on the wrong side of a no hitter and it's finally happened. By a rookie as well. Ah well, back to sleep.

Just watched the highlights there. Nicely done for a Rookie with 11 strike outs. 4 no hitters in the last 4 seasons for the Giants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just watched the highlights there. Nicely done for a Rookie with 11 strike outs. 4 no hitters in the last 4 seasons for the Giants.

A no hitter every year is some going alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Their fans are so spoiled! (Coming from a Yankee fan)

Just read as well that only 2 balls were hit into the outfield. So 11 strikeouts, 2 fly ball outs and 14 ground balls to the infielders.

Crazy stuff.

Useless fact of the day. Bryce Harper at the plate facing a pitcher younger than him for the first time in his career.

• Advertisement

Useless fact of the day. Bryce Harper at the plate facing a pitcher younger than him for the first time in his career.

Even more useless: Bryce Harper is 0-1 vs pitchers younger than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Just read as well that only 2 balls were hit into the outfield. So 11 strikeouts, 2 fly ball outs and 14 ground balls to the infielders.

Crazy stuff.

He did hit 2 batters though including putting one on in the 9th, nerves!

8-10 wrote: »
    I was in the 65mph batting cages the other day, hard enough to hit when straight at you!

I meant to get back to you on this. How fast does facing a 65mph fast ball feel like. I'd love a go in a batting cage but never had the chance (apart from one time in the 'KidZone' at CitiField but they weren't coming at me too fast and they were only rubber balls to if I remember correctly) Did you ever face one in the 90's just to see what it was like?

Ryan Zimmerman to the DL. He has been so poor this season (Got him in Fantasy) that I've been suspecting that there has been something up with him.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Ryan Zimmerman to the DL. He has been so poor this season (Got him in Fantasy) that I've been suspecting that there has been something up with him.

I'll see your DL and raise you with Paternity Leave. Two Mets are on or are on the verge of going on the Paternity List. Lads, you're off from October to March, can you not plan this a bit better...????

• Advertisement

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/mlb-network-is-launching-live-authenticated-streaming.html

This probably won't help most of you, but MLB is now launching live streaming of the MLB Network. Unfortunately you do need a US Cable login, but maybe a few of you do have that. You also need to have a VPN running so it's awkward, but possible to get.
    Just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

The Blue Jays on some tear at the moment. They've won 10 in a row and looks highly likely they'll soon win 11 (up 13-5 at Fenway, top of the 8th). There's not another team in the Majors anywhere near them for total runs scored.

Tune into the Brewers/Nats if you can.

Edit - Ah well, scrap that. Scherzer's perfect game bid just broken up in the 7th

mod9maple wrote: »
    The Blue Jays on some tear at the moment. They've won 10 in a row and looks highly likely they'll soon win 11 (up 13-5 at Fenway, top of the 8th). There's not another team in the Majors anywhere near them for total runs scored.

Run Differential's about +40 for the past few weeks. Some run they're on alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Red Sox need to fire Farrell/Cherrington. Team a total mess.

Byron Buxton made his MLB debut earlier today! Scored the winning run for the Twins too. Excited by him. He's like a Billy Hamilton who can hit. So much speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Morrison J wrote: »
    Red Sox need to fire Farrell/Cherrington. Team a total mess.

The problem is that owners can make just as much money if their team is losing. Sometimes much more.

We've faced that for years here in Seattle.

If only american sports relegated losing teams to a lower division, that would shake things up a little.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The problem is that owners can make just as much money if their team is losing. Sometimes much more.

We've faced that for years here in Seattle.

If only american sports relegated losing teams to a lower division, that would shake things up a little.

Red Sox owners are not going to settle for making money and losing. Boston is very different to Seattle in fairness

I watched the game yesterday and it was woeful. 4th inning particularly. Hanley Ramirez in left field is a disaster, I'm going to go right out and say that that was a failure of a move right now. And the rotation is very very weak. The bullpen is average

During the game I even put a sum of money on the Blue Jays to win the division @ 31/10. They're scoring runs for fun and while I don't see them doing much in the playoffs I can definitely see them getting there and that division is very weak overall this year.

Sox have been depressingly bad. I wish I could bring myself to just not watch them.

Will Farell be given extra time because of 2013? Although that didn't help Terry Francona but that was a collapse of epic proportions.

Will Farell be given extra time because of 2013? Although that didn't help Terry Francona but that was a collapse of epic proportions.

I would give Farrell more time than Cherington to be honest but neither will be there this time next year.

There's no way of being in contention this season which is just looking like more and more of a shame when you look at the opportunity that the East has given this year. Definitely a winnable division. However, the main complaint (deafening at times during the offseason) was that the rotation was being overlooked in order to stack bats. Moncada, Ramirez, Castillo, Cespedes, Sandoval all coming in for big big money in the last 12 months. And plenty of rumblings around the likes of Cole Hamels, David Price, James Shields and others but the Red Sox refused to give up a Blake Swihart or a Mookie Betts along with the cash to get them.

So now there's an over abundance of bats, a below-average rotation and an average bullpen. Even Allen Craig is still on the books, I think he should have been first person offered in a trade over the offseason, now that he's in Triple A there's pretty much no value in him anymore (I've given up on him being a productive outfielder for the Red Sox)

And the worst part is that we're trying to shoe-horn these bats into the lineup. Hanley Ramirez played his entire MLB career at shortstop and we put him in left field resulting in a ludicrous -13 defensive runs saved (if you're not aware of that stat, let me just say that -13 is by far the worst among all MLB players in 2015) and a negative WAR. So yes, he's productive at the plate, yay, but overall it's not working out for the team.

I'm interested in seeing what happens around the trade deadline, but not optimistic. In hindsight signing both Hanley and Panda to solve the third base issue and a non-existent left field issue looks to have been incorrect. At the same time though even if we'd signed just one of them and invested the remainder in an ace pitcher I don't think we'd get out of the division. It all screams to me like trying to win now with players who are not going to be playoff quality for 2-3yrs (Swihart, Castillo, Boegarts, Betts) by overpaying for offensive runs this year in other positions. You either play the long game with the core of the team or you trade them now to win now, both doesn't work. I'd much prefer to have not paid the big 'win now' contracts to Sandoval and Ramirez and the average 'innings-eater' acquisitions of Porcello and Miley, and played the longer game including supplementing the core of the team with more promising long-term pitching. Matt Barnes move from Starter to Reliever when he came up was strange but maybe best in the long run and Eduardo Rodriguez has been encouraging up until yesterday's outing but after that I think we're light in starting pitcher prospects.

But as I said in my previous post, Red Sox struggle with accepting losing in the short term.

I know Toronto is on a roll at the moment but the ALE has been pretty average so 8 games isn't insurmountable, especially as it's only June.

As you say though they're not playing well and even 1 game is hard to get back if you're not any good but if things do click they could get back into it.

• Advertisement

I meant to get back to you on this. How fast does facing a 65mph fast ball feel like. I'd love a go in a batting cage but never had the chance (apart from one time in the 'KidZone' at CitiField but they weren't coming at me too fast and they were only rubber balls to if I remember correctly) Did you ever face one in the 90's just to see what it was like?

Yep have faced 90MPH and to be honest there is no point unless you are practicing regularly. I got contact a couple of times but that's really only because the pitches are always at the same location more or less from a machine so it's only bat speed you need to time correctly. It was pretty much guessing when to swing initially and then once the timing is right (for me it was just as the ball was about to be released! My bat speed is obviously terrible) you swing and make contact and then through repetition you can rattle off a few hits (well, contacts at least!) in a row.

That was a few years ago though. When I did it recently I didn't bother with the 90MPH (had also had a few beers so wouldn't have gone well) so I gave the 55, 65 and 75 a go.

65 was my favourite, really got in a rhythm quickly with it. 55MPH is a bit slow and while you can hit them, you don't feel like the contact is as good because there is less speed in the pitch. With 65 you feel like you really connect, I enjoyed learning the speed and swinging correctly and also felt like my swing was really working well, at the higher speeds I always feel like I'm 'hacking' at the ball somewhat, but 65 was perfect as I could do the whole cocking the front foot to straighten it and swinging from the back foot with a proper follow through. I reckon with more regular practice 75 would have felt the same but I just gave it one go and was back to the hacking feeling so reverted to 65 again.

Was good fun anyway and definitely recommend it. Just don't wear a watch or a wedding ring or anything like that when you're doing it! I've gotten bad blisters that way! And maybe don't drink too much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I know Toronto is on a roll at the moment but the ALE has been pretty average so 8 games isn't insurmountable, especially as it's only June.

As you say though they're not playing well and even 1 game is hard to get back if you're not any good but if things do click they could get back into it.

It is only June but the Red Sox will still be terrible in August. Just reading a few of the posts and I get what your saying 8-10 about Hanley but why with his negative WAR do they not move him to SS? They have outfielders to play with and I cant understand how they haven't just put him at short.

The rotation needs work but is not unsavable they just need more QS'. Some of the money spent on Panda and Hanley should definitely have gone on an SP.

We're having our own problems on both ends at National Stadium, the pitching with the exception of Scherzer has been terrible and without Harper we don't really have any bats! So it is the strangest feeling right now that we should have an almost unbeatable rotation but they are simply terrible right now!

It is only June but the Red Sox will still be terrible in August. Just reading a few of the posts and I get what your saying 8-10 about Hanley but why with his negative WAR do they not move him to SS? They have outfielders to play with and I cant understand how they haven't just put him at short.

Bogaerts seen as the long-term option at SS and he needs AB's. No point putting him anywhere else in the field as it won't be his position. Same with Betts who is good enough to play but with no middle infield position available he has to play OF

For Hanley he could have played 3rd but decision was made to bring in Sandoval so he has to play somewhere with Ortiz not able to do anything but DH. Left field is an easier gig than short but there is the green monster to contend with, however his defense has been poor on the road also. I just don't think anybody predicted he'd be this bad

Too many bats, poor defence, poor rotation. Play out the year and keep giving the youngsters the AB's I say.

So apparently the FBI are investigating claims that the St Louis Cardinals hacked a Houston Astros database

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/16/8789249/st-louis-cardinals-houston-astros-hack

8-10 wrote: »
    So apparently the FBI are investigating claims that the St Louis Cardinals hacked a Houston Astros database

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/16/8789249/st-louis-cardinals-houston-astros-hack

Good IT Security by the Astros there. I like the line "Evidence apparently suggests the Cardinals officials were able to enter the Astros network by reusing a master list of passwords that Luhnow had used during his time at the Cardinals." I wonder were the passwords '123456' or 'password'.

We're having our own problems on both ends at National Stadium, the pitching with the exception of Scherzer has been terrible and without Harper we don't really have any bats! So it is the strangest feeling right now that we should have an almost unbeatable rotation but they are simply terrible right now!

Bullpen's been a big issue too but there's still no way they don't win the division. They haven't played well at all and are still only 1.5 games back. They'll obviously be buyers as the trade deadline approaches and will pick up someone like Chapman from the Reds so once the bullpen improves and the bats heat up even a small bit, they should be too good for everyone else in the NLE.

Outside of starting pitching, the Mets have no depth and are even worse than Washington for hitting so it's not like they have to catch the '27 Yankees.

And then it's a crap shoot to see how far they go in the playoffs.

Bullpen's been a big issue too but there's still no way they don't win the division. They haven't played well at all and are still only 1.5 games back. They'll obviously be buyers as the trade deadline approaches and will pick up someone like Chapman from the Reds so once the bullpen improves and the bats heat up even a small bit, they should be too good for everyone else in the NLE.

Outside of starting pitching, the Mets have no depth and are even worse than Washington for hitting so it's not like they have to catch the '27 Yankees.

And then it's a crap shoot to see how far they go in the playoffs.

Oh yeah dont get me wrong i still think there is a good chance they break 90 wins but they need Strasbourg, Fister and Zimmerman to get their act together. They definitely have bullpen issues but I like Janssen and I think we dont necessarily need a Chapman, he would probably cost too much anyway. Funny but we could really have done with Clippard now.

As bad as out hitting has been your right its now where near as bad as the Mets! But that said ye keep winning ,I like the team this year but you need wright back fit.

Old timers day in Toronto today. RA Dickey (40) facing Bartolo Colon (42). At least the DH is in play so they won't have to run the bases.

Old timers day in Toronto today. RA Dickey (40) facing Bartolo Colon (42). At least the DH is in play so they won't have to run the bases.

Watching Colon Bat is just terrific man. I think they need to get rid of the DH. Pitchers should bat, it's part of the game.

On a side note was watching Ceuto at bat last week he laid though a terrific bunt up the first base line that just rolled foul but he had legged it to first, then he hits a cracking double into center field , by the time he got to second he looked like he was going to have a heart attack! Terrific stuff though!

On another side note, clever tactics by Tampa last night. They keep winning!

• Advertisement

Watching Colon Bat is just terrific man. I think they need to get rid of the DH. Pitchers should bat, it's part of the game.

strongly disagree. I'd be changing the restrictive rule in the NL that forces pitchers to bat

Advertisement