Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The Nats now , yep , this is the year .. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wasn't last year the year too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Wasn't last year the year too?
    And the year before that ...

and the year before that ...

and ...

And the year before that ...

and ...

Ah well, keep saying it and it eventually be true. To be fair, I picked the Nats to win it all too but with my success in predictions you can probably write off their chances this year.

Ah well, keep saying it and it eventually be true. To be fair, I picked the Nats to win it all too but with my success in predictions you can probably write off their chances this year.

A lot of teams still in with a chance, if Toronto get Cueto and Chapman they could be champs.

Same could be said about a lot of teams. Interesting year ahead!

A lot of teams still in with a chance, if Toronto get Cueto and Chapman they could be champs.

Same could be said about a lot of teams. Interesting year ahead!

Yeah I'm enjoying the league this year. Look at the ALE, 4 teams within a game of first. And young teams getting better and there's plenty of good rookies coming through. It's been great to watch so far.

• Advertisement

40 steals for Billy Hamilton already. Imagine the damage he could do if he could get on base at even an average level.

40 steals for Billy Hamilton already. Imagine the damage he could do if he could get on base at even an average level.

He is getting on base at an average level for what he is, they need to move him back to the top of the order. And he needs to bunt more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

He is getting on base at an average level for what he is, they need to move him back to the top of the order. And he needs to bunt more.

I heard somebody say that he might someday come close to Ricky Henderson's record of 130 in a season. If he doesn't up his OBP he won't.

If he does....look out!

That's the point I was trying to make. He steals millions of bases but only has an OBP of around .270 which is well below what a major league hitter should be getting. So imagine his steal numbers if he was hitting .270 and getting on base around .330 or so.

And I think why he doesn't bunt more is because he's not very good at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I am going to a baseball game next month. I'm going for the experience really but I would like to have some idea of how the thing works, I have none at present. What advice would you give to me about learning the rules etc? I don't want to spend hours reading a book but I would like to have an idea about what is going on as I reckon it might be otherwise quite boring.

• Advertisement

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I am going to a baseball game next month. I'm going for the experience really but I would like to have some idea of how the thing works, I have none at present. What advice would you give to me about learning the rules etc? I don't want to spend hours reading a book but I would like to have an idea about what is going on as I reckon it might be otherwise quite boring.

There's usually a free game on MLB.tv every day so try and find a day when there's one on at a reasonable time and just sit and watch. Between watching and listening to the commentators you should pick it up quickly enough. Any term that comes up that you don't understand, Google will get you the answer.

Any specific questions and ask on here and you'll get an answer quite quickly from someone.

What game are you going to by the way? There might be a fan of that team on here who can give you specific advice about what to do or where to eat/drink etc.

According to ESPN 980, Max Scherzer has been lobbying the Nats to pinch hit. Knowing him, he's probably brilliant at that too.

According to ESPN 980, Max Scherzer has been lobbying the Nats to pinch hit. Knowing him, he's probably brilliant at that too.
    There is a competition going on between him and fister for hitting averages I believe. Fister already has one pinch hit this season. I can just imagine Sherzer being p***d off that another pitcher did something he didnt do yet this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

The Yankees send Adam Warren down to the bullpen despite him being their most consistent start over the past few months. Most agree that it has been CC, with his 5+ ERA, that deserves the demotion but the question is "is baseball ready for a $20+/year reliever?". Baseball is a funny game with it's guaranteed contracts, in the NFL they would just cut the player and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Twins call up top prospect Miguel Sano, later than intended for his debut but he's just after having Tommy john at the start of last year.

This guy is BIG for a kid. If he can hit major league fastballs he'll get a lot of homers

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    The Yankees send Adam Warren down to the bullpen despite him being their most consistent start over the past few months. Most agree that it has been CC, with his 5+ ERA, that deserves the demotion but the question is "is baseball ready for a $20+/year reliever?". Baseball is a funny game with it's guaranteed contracts, in the NFL they would just cut the player and move on.

cc hasnt pitched as bad as his results indicate. i was surprised they demoted warren though i have to admit, i wonder could cc become a quality rp?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Absolutely killing it last 6 weeks on MLB, have to pinch myself im on such a good run, when this happens you get so paranoid as you know variance is right around the corner, second guessing yourself etc, human nature, i have my approach and stats and and will adjust as needs be.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Daniel Murphy back tomorrow, hopefully in good form. Agree this is a big week coming up, Mets are not out of the running for 1st place though the Nationals are loaded and Harper's having a ridiculous season, plus Scherzer's the real thing. Mets have been awful against good teams.

Just hoping the September games are meaningful, it's been way too long since they have.

I think the past 3 days have answered that question for us. 3 games, 1 run, .160 avg and .109 risp. Season over.

EDIT - At least they only have to face Kershaw and Greinke at Dodger stadium next. Easy peasy....!!!!! (Yes I am delirious)

Great to see Jose Fernandez back. One of my favourite pitchers to watch (and he can hit as well!).

Great to see Jose Fernandez back. One of my favourite pitchers to watch (and he can hit as well!).

Home Run! Yep he's awesome. Shame he's on the Marlins

• Advertisement

There has been nothing to cheer about all year but that first inning against the Blue Jays is probably the best half inning I've ever seen the red sox play

That poor pitcher charged with 7 earned runs without recording a single run. Ouch!

Back to dibble A.....

8-10 wrote:
    There has been nothing to cheer about all year but that first inning against the Blue Jays is probably the best half inning I've ever seen the red sox play

And the Jays get 4 back in the bottom of the second. It's gonna be a hell of a game!

That Sox-Jays game finished with a combined 18 runs, 11 walks and 33 hits. It had 2 reviews and an ejection. Fun night at the ballpark eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Another good win for the Astros last night @ Sox. That makes it five in a row.

Don't be writing the Red Sox out of the ALE yet! Series win over the Astros and are now 7-3 over the last 10. And no one is pulling away in that division so 6 games in nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Don't be writing the Red Sox out of the ALE yet! Series win over the Astros and are now 7-3 over the last 10. And no one is pulling away in that division so 6 games in nothing.

They cannot pitch. Not going anywhere with the rotation they have, regardless of any push they make in the AL East.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    They cannot pitch. Not going anywhere with the rotation they have, regardless of any push they make in the AL East.

I don't watch many of their games but from their scores I can see what you mean. They must have the highest runs scored in all their games as they all seem to end 12-8 or something. Is the hitting good enough to keep them in it?

I don't watch many of their games but from their scores I can see what you mean. They must have the highest runs scored in all their games as they all seem to end 12-8 or something. Is the hitting good enough to keep them in it?

Well seeing how bad we've been overall this season and still being 6 games out you'd have to say that the hitting had been good enough to just about keep them in it but I agree with moyvilla, without pitching it's not going to happen. This is one of those divisions where nobody seems to want to win it despite it being there for the taking.

Red Sox should play the long game and continue to develop Swihart, Eduardo Rodriguez, Matt Barnes and Mookie Betts. Clay Buchholz has to be the most underrated pitcher in baseball right now. 3 earned runs in his last 4 starts is the stuff you expect from an ace pitcher and he's quietly doing his stuff well. Came within a half inning of a complete game shut out the other night but still great to see him go that late into games.

So should tick along for the rest of the year and I'd say .500 ball would be a realistic target.

For me the Blue Jays will win the division. They're the team that will make the 'win now' trades and should have enough to get past the other 3 who are all equally average this year.

8-10 wrote: »
    Well seeing how bad we've been overall this season and still being 6 games out you'd have to say that the hitting had been good enough to just about keep them in it but I agree with moyvilla, without pitching it's not going to happen. This is one of those divisions where nobody seems to want to win it despite it being there for the taking.

Red Sox should play the long game and continue to develop Swihart, Eduardo Rodriguez, Matt Barnes and Mookie Betts. Clay Buchholz has to be the most underrated pitcher in baseball right now. 3 earned runs in his last 4 starts is the stuff you expect from an ace pitcher and he's quietly doing his stuff well. Came within a half inning of a complete game shut out the other night but still great to see him go that late into games.

So should tick along for the rest of the year and I'd say .500 ball would be a realistic target.

For me the Blue Jays will win the division. They're the team that will make the 'win now' trades and should have enough to get past the other 3 who are all equally average this year.

The Blue Jays have the most talent but they need pitching badly. A loan move for Ceuto and Chapman before they hit free agency would be clever but the reds discovered how to win again recently for a minute and that threw that up in the air. Likewise though they could go Hamels/Papelbon and I think the BJays would be very dangerous if they picked up a combo.

The Redsox pitching is terrible. Cant see them coming close to the division , personally as the teams stand at the moment roster wise I think the Orioles will win the division.

• Advertisement

The Blue Jays have the most talent but they need pitching badly. A loan move for Ceuto and Chapman before they hit free agency would be clever but the reds discovered how to win again recently for a minute and that threw that up in the air. Likewise though they could go Hamels/Papelbon and I think the BJays would be very dangerous if they picked up a combo.

They could also go Samardzjia/Grilli. I agree with you, a good combo like that and they'll be dangerous

Advertisement