Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The mets win after 13 innings in the game that was suspended yesterday. So nearly a full day and the next one is starting at half nine our time.

Did you watch it? I watched it all and felt like pulling my hair out so many times. 0-15 with RISP. Awful stuff. If only Grandy had caught that easy fly ball yesterday, we could have saved ourselves from the ineptitude today. Bullpen's probably done though, only Leathersitch and Gilmartin didn't pitch so unless they bring in Niese, they'd better hope Matz doesn't get knocked about in his debut or God knows who'll end up pitching.

Having said all that the Reds were just as bad and their bullpen's probably spent too. And for once, a team ended up committing more errors than the Mets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I watched it all and felt like pulling my hair out so many times. 0-15 with RISP. Awful stuff.

God, that is appalling. Glad I missed it.

Going to switch on the Rockies @ Giants in a while on the television. Watching the end of the Yankees @ Astros and the Astros are wining 3-1 at the bottom of the 8th. Went to a few Astro games at the start of the season when they were awful and my trip there seems to have resulted in a huge improvement for them. That is what I am telling the people I know in Houston anyway. :) Hooked on them now, I have to admit.

And Matz gives up a HR to the first batter he faces in the majors. That run's probably enough to get the win for the Reds.

EDIT - Buts gets it back with an RBI double scoring two runs. That's it for my commentary tonight you'll all be glad to hear.

Astros get the win, 1-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When did the Astros go from zeros to heroes? Top of the division I see

I watched the good Ubaldo today. Went 8 innings, no runs allowed and got the win.

Maybe he will have a super 2015, looks that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did you watch it? I watched it all and felt like pulling my hair out so many times. 0-15 with RISP. Awful stuff. If only Grandy had caught that easy fly ball yesterday, we could have saved ourselves from the ineptitude today. Bullpen's probably done though, only Leathersitch and Gilmartin didn't pitch so unless they bring in Niese, they'd better hope Matz doesn't get knocked about in his debut or God knows who'll end up pitching.

Having said all that the Reds were just as bad and their bullpen's probably spent too. And for once, a team ended up committing more errors than the Mets.

Watched the game yesterday and a bit of it today. It was 0-9 when the game was suspended yesterday.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    When did the Astros go from zeros to heroes? Top of the division I see

As I said before, I was in Houston and went to see them against the As at the start of the season. They were awful in the first two games of the three game series but managed to sneak a win in the third. All the fans I spoke to expected that to be the theme for the season but they seem to have hit a hot streak and I think the other teams in the division haven't been at their best. Being top of the division coming up to the break wasn't on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,215 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Glad to see the Astros doing well for a change. Downtrodden team for so long, always a warm place in my heart after my Mets. Guess it's because they came into the league at the same time.

Rookie Matz lit it up yesterday, 4 RBI, 3 hits, wow. Pitched well, too. If he could only play every day...

Does everyone use MLB.TV out here to watch games online? Kind of pricey, holding off to the postseason...

Igotadose wrote: »

Does everyone use MLB.TV out here to watch games online? Kind of pricey, holding off to the postseason...

Well worth the money though. Games every day, no blackouts. It really is great imo and i'd really miss it if I didn't have it.

Glad to see the Astros doing well for a change. Downtrodden team for so long

I'm kind of torn on the Astros. Like you, I love seeing teams come good and I love watching them now that they're competitive but I don't like seeing tanking getting rewarded. The Astros for years had a payroll less than what A-Rod is getting paid and almost set out to lose 100+ games year after year so they could get a lot of high draft picks.

It still takes skill to nurture and develop prospects so I'd admire them for what they've done in that regard and their decision to be embarrassingly crap for years has paid off so fair play but I'm not sure I agree with it.

At least be like our Mets and be crap for years while still trying....!!!!!

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Astros get the win, 1-3.

Nice little inside the park homer as well!

I don't usually pay much attention to the Home Run Derby at the All Star Game (kind of bores me a bit to be honest) but interesting that they're adding a timed element to it this year. I probably still won't watch but at least they're trying to make it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Nice little inside the park homer as well!

Was actually scored a double and he scored on a fielding error

Correa has been pretty damn impressive since he came up, the rookies this year are ridiculous, could easily have 4 or 5 equally deserving of the Jackie Robinson award

8-10 wrote: »

Yeah I saw that. It was still funny though. Definitely a home town call by the scorer giving him the double though. I'd have it as an E7 or E8 the whole way.

Yeah I saw that. It was still funny though. Definitely a home town call by the scorer giving him the double though. I'd have it as an E7 or E8 the whole way.

Well it was definitely at least a single, he didn't reach first on the error but yeah touch and go on the double.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Correa has been pretty damn impressive since he came up, the rookies this year are ridiculous, could easily have 4 or 5 equally deserving of the Jackie Robinson award

Correa has been the top prospect since being drafted almost. Quality player. Does it count as a hit when it should have been caught? Just looked like an error to me.

Well it was definitely at least a single, he didn't reach first on the error but yeah touch and go on the double.

I don't think he even deserved a single to be honest. If there was any sort of communication between the 2 outfielders it would have been routine fly ball out. It's not like any great ground had to be covered to catch it.

It was definitely the LF's ball so I don't know why the CF just didn't go into the backup position and leave him at it as opposed to confusing things.

Either way, error, single or double are only stats. The result's the same. Great seeing someone sprint around the bases like Correa did though.

EDIT - ignore this post. Talking rubbish as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Making the most of their trip to Petco Park!

I don't think he even deserved a single to be honest. If there was any sort of communication between the 2 outfielders it would have been routine fly ball out. It's not like any great ground had to be covered to catch it.

It was definitely the LF's ball so I don't know why the CF just didn't go into the backup position and leave him at it as opposed to confusing things.

Either way, error, single or double are only stats. The result's the same. Great seeing someone sprint around the bases like Correa did though.

I love hustle and Correa is the epitome of it on this play to be fair to him. A lot of players would have been barely making second even on the error. So what you make of the Mets now Jack? looking like a team that could make a playoff run this year!

Correa has been the top prospect since being drafted almost. Quality player. Does it count as a hit when it should have been caught? Just looked like an error to me.

Has been a controversial subject in the past, it's generally scored as a hit, however on occasion does get scored as just an error - in general the ball has to be touched for the fielder to be charged with an error however the rules state that it is not necessary for it to be touched so it does happen it's just very very rare (happened last year to Ortiz v Darvish during a perfect game bid - scored as an error on the night then MLB overturned it after the game and awarded a hit)

Had it flied out to a single outfielder and just allowed to drop with no touch then I'd agree it's more likely an error (though would usually still be scored a hit), however falling between 2 players and neither of them touching it for me that's both a hit and an error. You can argue that as the rules say the outfielder could ordinarily catch that ball, however when you put into account the other outfielder coming in you're kind of crediting the hitter with hitting it into a location where it's difficult for both outfielders to call if you know what I mean. So in that way he in a way deserves the hit, however I definitely don't think he deserves the home run to be awarded. So it's bizarre, but I'm ok with it being a hit and advancing base on error, single or double is at the discretion of the scorer, we'll see if the MLB take a look retrospectively and rule a scoring adjustment

• Advertisement

So what you make of the Mets now Jack? looking like a team that could make a playoff run this year!

In obviously loving the pitching but I still think the playoffs might be a stretch too far. When your best hitter is a pitcher, there's something wrong. They just can't score runs and even though they got 7 yesterday, before that they hadn't scored more than 2 in over a week. Not sustainable in the long run and expecting your pitchers to give up only a run a game is too much really.

What annoys me is When Terry Colluns says "when player X gets going" or "when player Y gets going" we're going to be blah blah blah. If a player hasn't got 'going' by the end of June they're not going to get going. It's called not being good enough and unfortunately the Mets have too many of those players on offence.

Has been a controversial subject in the past, it's generally scored as a hit, however on occasion does get scored as just an error - in general the ball has to be touched for the fielder to be charged with an error however the rules state that it is not necessary for it to be touched so it does happen it's just very very rare (happened last year to Ortiz v Darvish during a perfect game bid - scored as an error on the night then MLB overturned it after the game and awarded a hit)

Had it flied out to a single outfielder and just allowed to drop with no touch then I'd agree it's more likely an error (though would usually still be scored a hit), however falling between 2 players and neither of them touching it for me that's both a hit and an error. You can argue that as the rules say the outfielder could ordinarily catch that ball, however when you put into account the other outfielder coming in you're kind of crediting the hitter with hitting it into a location where it's difficult for both outfielders to call if you know what I mean. So in that way he in a way deserves the hit, however I definitely don't think he deserves the home run to be awarded. So it's bizarre, but I'm ok with it being a hit and advancing base on error, single or double is at the discretion of the scorer, we'll see if the MLB take a look retrospectively and rule a scoring adjustment

The thing about scoring is that it's done by an employee of the home team so it's not unusual for an error by a home player to be scored a hit for the batter and vice versa so it's not an exact science.

Scorers can be 'encouraged' to change the scoring of a play after a game and plenty of lobbying goes on I'm sure if someone's chasing a record or on a streak or something. If he says no, I'm sure MLB then review it.

Edit - I wasn't aware of that clean drop fly ball always being a hit even if the fielder should really have caught it. So cancel that previous post about me not even giving coreea a single.

In obviously loving the pitching but I still think the playoffs might be a stretch too far. When your best hitter is a pitcher, there's something wrong. They just can't score runs and even though they got 7 yesterday, before that they hadn't scored more than 2 in over a week. Not sustainable in the long run and expecting your pitchers to give up only a run a game is too much really.

What annoys me is When Terry Colluns says "when player X gets going" or "when player Y gets going" we're going to be blah blah blah. If a player hasn't got 'going' by the end of June they're not going to get going. It's called not being good enough and unfortunately the Mets have too many of those players on offence.

As a team though you guys are playing tough even with weak bats. The line up is really missing Wright now I thought they would try to bring Marlon Byrd back this off season. Could do with making a move for some players, Ryan Howard would be a nice addition right now although alot of cash involved and maybe trying to make a sneaky move for some Marlins would love if the Nats went out and got Dee Gordon from the Marlins! (Not going to happen of course but just day dreaming here!)

As a team though you guys are playing tough even with weak bats. The line up is really missing Wright now I thought they would try to bring Marlon Byrd back this off season. Could do with making a move for some players, Ryan Howard would be a nice addition right now although alot of cash involved and maybe trying to make a sneaky move for some Marlins would love if the Nats went out and got Dee Gordon from the Marlins! (Not going to happen of course but just day dreaming here!)

Next week or so is make or break time. Series against the Cubs starts tomorrow then on the road to the Dodgers and Giants. If they can back from there still above .500 I'll start to believe a wild card might be possible but they really have to get someone who can hit. It's painful at times watching them at the plate.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »

Making the most of their trip to Petco Park!

Glad they're having fun but lads, leave the GAA jerseys at home please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,215 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Daniel Murphy back tomorrow, hopefully in good form. Agree this is a big week coming up, Mets are not out of the running for 1st place though the Nationals are loaded and Harper's having a ridiculous season, plus Scherzer's the real thing. Mets have been awful against good teams.

Just hoping the September games are meaningful, it's been way too long since they have.

Daniel Murphy back tomorrow, hopefully in good form. Agree this is a big week coming up, Mets are not out of the running for 1st place though the Nationals are loaded and Harper's having a ridiculous season, plus Scherzer's the real thing. Mets have been awful against good teams.

Just hoping the September games are meaningful, it's been way too long since they have.

Lets not get silly now, the Mets are not going to win more games than the Nats!! :D:D:D

Mets are on BT Sports tonight. Am off tomorrow and have the channel myself, so will watch it. Another good win for the Astros last night against the Royals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Lets not get silly now, the Mets are not going to win more games than the Nats!! :D:D:D

What's the point of being a fan if we cannot get silly?!

The Yankees are going to win the World Series!

• Advertisement

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    What's the point of being a fan if we cannot get silly?!

The Yankees are going to win the World Series!

That's hardly silly saying the most successful team in baseball history is going to win! :-)

The Nats now , yep , this is the year .. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement