Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I know we've debated this before on here and I do think it is only a matter of time before we get the DH in both leagues but I hate it. I much prefer pitchers batting.

On another side note, clever tactics by Tampa last night. They keep winning!

It's gas how things can change in a day isn't it? The Nats had 23 hits and 16 runs on Tuesday and 0 runs and 2 hits on Wednesday. They'll probably score a bunch tonight again.

Just goes to show how you should never get too excited or worried about one game as God only knows what will happen the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

It's gas how things can change in a day isn't it? The Nats had 23 hits and 16 runs on Tuesday and 0 runs and 2 hits on Wednesday. They'll probably score a bunch tonight again.

Just goes to show how you should never get too excited or worried about one game as God only knows what will happen the next.

It was interesting tactics last night by Tampa never seen it done before but could be something teams use in future.

Don't agree at all 8-10, pitchers grow up hitting why should it change when they go to the ML level?

It was interesting tactics last night by Tampa never seen it done before but could be something teams use in future.

Don't agree at all 8-10, pitchers grow up hitting why should it change when they go to the ML level?

I have seen a the bullpen pitching the whole game before on a couple of occasions. Usually when they're down a starter or something and it's at short notice. Was it purely tactical last night or was there an injury to someone?

Like anything, it's great when it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Class-A only has DH. I was at a Double-A Senators game a couple of weeks ago (Nationals AA team so NL farm team) and they played with a DH even though they were at home.

Here's the boxscore for National's Triple-A team Syracuse Chiefs yesterday, both teams using a DH even though it's an NL farm team playing at home.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2015_06_17_tolaaa_syraaa_1&t=g_box&sid=milb

So I disagree that it will change at MLB level because the NL farm teams are already using DH even at home sometimes and it's only at MLB level in the NL that this rule of forcing pitchers to hit is enforced, and that is down to tradition more than anything.

So if you're concerned at things changing when you get to ML level then DH should be allowed in the NL.

Remember DH is optional, if you're good enough to hit you can hit even as a pitcher, if there's a better player to hit then the manager can designate him instead. It's only the National League, and only at the MLB level that there is an enforcement of pitchers hitting. In the minors and AL you regularly see an a DH used and all of those managers retain the right and ability to use their pitcher as a hitter if they so wish - so even if you bring it into the NL the managers can still refuse to use them if they are traditional, but at least they have the same option as most of the rest of baseball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

8-10 wrote: »
    Remember DH is optional, if you're good enough to hit you can hit even as a pitcher, if there's a better player to hit then the manager can designate him instead.

I'd love to see a pitcher hit in a Blue Jays home game! Has it ever happened in the AL, I wonder, since the DH rule was introduced?

Edit: Wow, it happens far more often than you think. Aaron Loup (lefty reliever) hit for the Jays 3 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter

8-10 wrote: »
    Class-A only has DH. I was at a Double-A Senators game a couple of weeks ago (Nationals AA team so NL farm team) and they played with a DH even though they were at home.

Here's the boxscore for National's Triple-A team Syracuse Chiefs yesterday, both teams using a DH even though it's an NL farm team playing at home.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2015_06_17_tolaaa_syraaa_1&t=g_box&sid=milb

So I disagree that it will change at MLB level because the NL farm teams are already using DH even at home sometimes and it's only at MLB level in the NL that this rule of forcing pitchers to hit is enforced, and that is down to tradition more than anything.

So if you're concerned at things changing when you get to ML level then DH should be allowed in the NL.

Remember DH is optional, if you're good enough to hit you can hit even as a pitcher, if there's a better player to hit then the manager can designate him instead. It's only the National League, and only at the MLB level that there is an enforcement of pitchers hitting. In the minors and AL you regularly see an a DH used and all of those managers retain the right and ability to use their pitcher as a hitter if they so wish - so even if you bring it into the NL the managers can still refuse to use them if they are traditional, but at least they have the same option as most of the rest of baseball

If the DH rule comes in it to the NL it will take the pitcher hitting out of baseball altogether. It wont happen over night but in 20 years no pitchers will hit if they bring in the DH rule, IMO. I don't want to see that personally.

mod9maple wrote: »
    I'd love to see a pitcher hit in a Blue Jays home game! Has it ever happened in the AL, I wonder, since the DH rule was introduced?

Yeah but not in a long long time, it's very rare because pitchers are generally not good enough. And that's fine with me. Wandy Rodriguez scored his 24th run yesterday from 510 career plate appearances. That doesn't serve the club, the league, the fans or the player at all in my opinion. Tradition is a weak reason to put Wandy in the batter's box at the highest level of professional sport.

If the DH rule comes in it to the NL it will take the pitcher hitting out of baseball altogether. It wont happen over night but in 20 years no pitchers will hit if they bring in the DH rule, IMO. I don't want to see that personally.

As pointed out in the post above yours it does happen, going all the way back 3 years but it did happen and is akin to position players pitching, should be an option but shouldn't be enforced. Only 1 league at 1 level still hasn't migrated from it, as I said the lower leagues still have it so why only when you get to the top level are you required to hit? What is the point when the pitcher has come through the minors without regular At Bats?

If he's good enough to hit, and some pitchers are, then they can still hit. It won't go out completely.

Edit: looked up Wandy's stats, he had 45 plate appearances in 2012 and a batting average of .000! A guaranteed out - what's the point? This is coming down to different personalities obviously because I have no interest in continuously watching a bad hitter hit. Occasionally yes, like a position player pitch (see last night's Indians), but if the AL enforced a rule to have 1 inning per night pitched by a positional player, I would be similarly dismayed. It's fine to be optional but when you enforce rules like that at the top level of sport you are compromising the competitiveness of the game. AL remains the more watchable league for this reason.

Just to clarify - a pitcher hasn't started a game hitting in the AL since the mid-70s. Those that have hit in an AL game since have done so for tactical or practical reasons eg defensive field replacements or injuries, usually late in a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I would have to agree with 8-10 here. Tradition is a weak argument to force someone, the pitcher in this case, to become a batter in the top level of professional sport. There is nothing more disheartening than seeing the pitcher come up with two-on, two-outs in a close game. Automatic out.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    I would have to agree with 8-10 here. Tradition is a weak argument to force someone, the pitcher in this case, to become a batter in the top level of professional sport. There is nothing more disheartening than seeing the pitcher come up with two-on, two-outs in a close game. Automatic out.

yeah to each their own, I prefer to see them hit like i already said.

Better start tonight for the Nats and Archer just struck out for the Rays with two on and two outs, love that pitchers must hit rule! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mmarch2

Blue Jays vs Orioles's should be a great series to watch this weekend. They've both been playing some great baseball and firing on all cylinders.

The O's made a controversial move and optioned lefty Wei-Yin Chen down to Triple-A even after his last dominating outting due to "fatigue". I think they just wanna keep him away from the lefty-mashing Jays.

I'm calling O's take the series 2-1.. but that might just be my hometown bias!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mmarch2

Blue Jays vs Orioles should be a great series to watch this weekend. They've both been playing some great baseball and firing on all cylinders.

The O's made a controversial move and optioned lefty Wei-Yin Chen down to Triple-A even after his last dominating outting due to "fatigue". I think they just wanna keep him away from the lefty-mashing Jays.

I'm calling O's take the series 2-1.. but that might just be my hometown bias!

mmarch2 wrote: »
    Blue Jays vs Orioles should be a great series to watch this weekend. They've both been playing some great baseball and firing on all cylinders.

The Mets managed to slow down the Blue Jays juggernaut for a couple of days in NY but normal service was resumed up in Toronto with two beat downs.

Edit - Just read as well that RA Dickey pitched last night after hearing that his father had passed away.

Looks like the Simpsons know what the Cardinals were up to back in 1999

Walk off Balk!

Was anyone watching this? Only seeing it now myself.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/06/19/dodgers-rangers-walk-off-balk-video-keone-kela

(I'd love to understand the balk. I know the rule but just not can't spot them)

Walk off Balk!

I'd love to understand the balk. I know the rule but just not can't spot them

He came set (still) with his foot on the rubber then twitched/moved/slightly turned his shoulder without taking his foot off the rubber. That's a balk. Once he comes set, he has to either pitch or take his foot off the rubber to fake out the runner on third or throw to third.

mod9maple wrote: »
    He came set (still) with his foot on the rubber then twitched/moved/slightly turned his shoulder without taking his foot off the rubber. That's a balk. Once he comes set, he has to either pitch or take his foot off the rubber to fake out the runner on third or throw to third.

yeah, I know the rules but as I said I just can't spot them.

yeah, I know the rules but as I said I just can't spot them.

Sorry, I didn't realise.

I gotta admit myself, they're tough to spot watching on TV. Umpires are much closer to the pitcher, and they have him covered by 4 angles!

• Advertisement

Anyone see the Orioles-Jays game last night? CB Bucknor with another clown show! How does this guy keep his job? Are umpires not evaluated constantly? Angel Hernandez and Joe West are two others who are forever mired in controversy. :rolleyes:

Ah. What a way to lose a perfect game. 27th man hit by pitch.

Ah. What a way to lose a perfect game. 27th man hit by pitch.

Scherzer settles for the no hitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Scherzer settles for the no hitter.

Wow. Tabata leaned in! He will not have to lean into one the next time he steps up.

So in his last 2 games, Scherzer has faced 57 batters and given up one hit (a broken bat blooper), one walk and one hit batter. And struck out 26. I think he's kinda good!

Bloody hell. I knew the Mets offence was struggling but the Nats scored 3 more runs in one inning today than the Mets did in their last 50.

So in his last 2 games, Scherzer has faced 57 batters and given up one hit (a broken bat blooper), one walk and one hit batter. And struck out 26. I think he's kinda good!

No he's kinda unbelievable! of all the moves we made in the off season this one looks inspired now, he truly is a terrific pitcher. I cant understand Tabata leaning in, its just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I really don't think Kershaw is out on an island as the best pitcher in the big leagues anymore.

Kershaw, Scherzer and Sale. All in a class of their own. It's a struggle to separate them for me. Could make a case for each of them.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I really don't think Kershaw is out on an island as the best pitcher in the big leagues anymore.

Kershaw, Scherzer and Sale. All in a class of their own. It's a struggle to separate them for me. Could make a case for each of them.

A lot of good young arms coming through now too. Obviously it'll be a while before we can put them in the same category as the guys you mentioned. Jose Fernandez pitched in a game last night too so he'll be back in the majors soon enough too.

• Advertisement

A lot of good young arms coming through now too. Obviously it'll be a while before we can put them in the same category as the guys you mentioned. Jose Fernandez pitched in a game last night too so he'll be back in the majors soon enough too.

Yeah I would include Bumgardner up there as well, doesn't get more clutch that him , he's arguably a better big game pitcher than Kershaw

Advertisement