Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Felix Hernandez just had his second complete shutout game this season and Nelson Cruz hit a home run into the tank. A good day for the Mariners.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Felix Hernandez just had his second complete shutout game this season and Nelson Cruz hit a home run into the tank. A good day for the Mariners.

Yeah but you have to feel sorry for Chris Archer in that game:

8 innings pitched
    12 strikeouts
    0 earned runs

...and his team still lost. That's a bad beat. In reality you might as well just skip his start and concede the game to Felix and play Archer the next night

Also shout out to Noah Syndergaard. Shutout win plus he picked up 3 hits and a Home Run at the plate. Doesn't happen often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

8-10 wrote: »
    Also shout out to Noah Syndergaard. Shutout win plus he picked up 3 hits and a Home Run at the plate. Doesn't happen often!

3 years nearly to the day since a Met pitcher last hit a HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Jack.....how about that reverse hustle from Colon to turn and inside the park homer into a double

Jack.....how about that reverse hustle from Colon to turn and inside the park homer into a double

He's some man alright. He tagged up from second on a fly ball last time out too and earlier in the season he ran down and tagged out a runner from first when he was pitching so we've already seen him run more I ever thought I would.

To be fair, his 'phisique' and his at-bats have been the sources of amusement for a while now but for the most part he's getting the job done on the mound and already has more hits this year than he did in the whole of 2014. He is 42 though so surely he's due to run out of steam at some stage but hopefully the 6 man rotation will protect him as well as the younger guys that it was intended for.

• Advertisement

Just watching the Toronto Washington game and seeing RA Dickey pitch for the first time in ages. I'd forgotten how entertaining it is watching him pitch. He gives up a lot of hits but the swings and misses he entices on balls thrown at about 65mph are great to watch.

Seeing Casey Janssen pitch against the Blue Jays was just weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

8-10 wrote:
    Seeing Casey Janssen pitch against the Blue Jays was just weird!

Yep, very strange indeed. Nice to get the win though.

Not a bad start for Joey Gallo in his first game for the Texans!

Just watching the Toronto Washington game and seeing RA Dickey pitch for the first time in ages. I'd forgotten how entertaining it is watching him pitch. He gives up a lot of hits but the swings and misses he entices on balls thrown at about 65mph are great to watch.

I was in the 65mph batting cages the other day, hard enough to hit when straight at you!

• Advertisement

What do you make of this guys?

On Monday, Andrew Cashner became the first pitcher in baseball history to record 10+ strike outs, give up 10+ hits, and 0 walks (in less than five innings). —> Gave him a FIP of –2.36 on the day.

Yesterday, Snydergaard became the second (his line: 4 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 0 BB, 10 K) —> Gives him an FIP of –1.75 on the day.

And in the same series, one from each team!

Wow! Baseball is so weird. :D

Astros finally getting rid of the hill in centre field. I know it's ridiculous having it there and at the time whoever thought it would be a good idea needed their head examined but I kind of like it and am sad to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Sandoval's defense is comically bad. Cost Boston two games this week alone.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/06/05/oakland-athletics-pat-venditte-call-switch-pitcher

Switch-pitcher called up by Oakland. Can't wait to see him pitch. Should be interesting anyway.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/06/05/oakland-athletics-pat-venditte-call-switch-pitcher

Switch-pitcher called up by Oakland. Can't wait to see him pitch. Should be interesting anyway.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4407965

I heard of this guy. There's a video out there somewhere of a switch hitter coming to the plate in a minor league game and he and Venditte keep switching. It becomes a circus. Ump hasn't a clue what to do, managers come out, things get heated. I can't remember how it was resolved. It's interesting to read that for his MLB debut he must pick left or right if a known switch-hitter is coming to the plate. With single-side hitters he's free to switch back and forth to get the best match-up? It's bizarre.

mod9maple wrote: »

I heard of this guy. There's a video out there somewhere of a switch hitter coming to the plate in a minor league game and he and Venditte keep switching. It becomes a circus. Ump hasn't a clue what to do, managers come out, things get heated. I can't remember how it was resolved. It's interesting to read that for his MLB debut he must pick left or right if a known switch-hitter is coming to the plate. With single-side hitters he's free to switch back and forth to get the best match-up? It's bizarre.

Cool video.

This brings up an interesting point. I wonder how many switch hitters there actually are in MLB? As a percentage of the total? It's pretty rare, isn't it? And who among them has the highest avg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

mod9maple wrote: »

Yea, this guy has been around the minors for ages. Actually hasn't a bad career stat line so I'm surprised its taken so long for him to get a shot. I guess the As have nothing to lose at this stage. Looking forward to seeing this guy in action and of course the switch-pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Venditte warming in the bullpen..

Morrison J wrote:
    Venditte warming in the bullpen..

He did great too. Ramirez seemed a bit non-plussed when he switched hands. :-)

• Advertisement

Woman hit by broken bat in that game too. Injuries 'life threatening' too which is awful. Am i right in thinking that's the third incident this season? I don't remember too many in other years. Hopefully she'll be ok.

Carlos Correa called up by the Astros. This guy is supposedly excellent

Carlos Correa called up by the Astros. This guy is supposedly excellent

They seem to have an endless line of talent coming through don't they? The joys of being awful for years and getting loads of high draft picks I suppose. Still, they've done a good job of scouting and developing so fair play to them.

They seem to have an endless line of talent coming through don't they? The joys of being awful for years and getting loads of high draft picks I suppose. Still, they've done a good job of scouting and developing so fair play to them.

I remember him being picked at #1 that year was a massive shock to everyone. I think it was Appel that was projected for the Astros to pick? Buxton went #2 that year.

Correa will be the youngest player in MLB if he plays tonight. Been great in the minors but wondering if it's not a year too soon for him. Will likely end up as a 3B if he can prove he can hit major league pitching....it's Chris Sale tonight so a nice start for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

...and that includes them passing on Kris Bryant in 2013, they picked Appel with that number 1 pick and not been able to sign their number 1 pick last year although that guy (Brady Aiken) has since blown out his elbow. They get a compensatory pick in the first round this season for that so have 2 of the first 5 picks in tonight's draft. The Astros are only going one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I remember him being picked at #1 that year was a massive shock to everyone. I think it was Appel that was projected for the Astros to pick? Buxton went #2 that year.

Correa will be the youngest player in MLB if he plays tonight. Been great in the minors but wondering if it's not a year too soon for him. Will likely end up as a 3B if he can prove he can hit major league pitching....it's Chris Sale tonight so a nice start for him!

don't think he'll move from SS his defence is tremendous. He's also got buckets of pace, more a 20/20 guy in my eyes.

Looks like the real deal and the Astros could do with a guy who can hit for average as well. I expect Singleton to be up in the next couple of weeks as well. Serious side there if their pitching stays at the level it's at.

don't think he'll move from SS his defence is tremendous. He's also got buckets of pace, more a 20/20 guy in my eyes.

Looks like the real deal and the Astros could do with a guy who can hit for average as well. I expect Singleton to be up in the next couple of weeks as well. Serious side there if their pitching stays at the level it's at.

Singleton was pretty poor last year so hopefully he's improved a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Singleton was pretty poor last year so hopefully he's improved a lot!

He's been raking it this year, but like you said, failed last year.
    I hope he isnt a AAAA player...

Nationals just selected Mariano Rivera in the draft, the son of the great one. Must be a Washington thing. The Redskins signed Jerry Rice Jnr. last year too.

• Advertisement

I always feared the Mets being on the wrong side of a no hitter and it's finally happened. By a rookie as well. Ah well, back to sleep.

Advertisement