Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

russian-bombers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

true567 wrote: »
    Republic of Ireland, a sovereign state sometimes referred to as "Southern Ireland"

Anyway, how does this part of the island (Southern Ireland) compensate the UK for such military defense? Really curious.

I don't think the Rep of Ireland compensate thecUK in anyway.

Any incursions on their part are agreements of convenience I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Republic of Ireland, a sovereign state sometimes referred to as "Southern Ireland"

Anyway, how does this part of the island (Southern Ireland) compensate the UK for such military defense? Really curious.

we send them boy bands and Guinness,

what you want more , oh well, theres Terry and Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭true567

BoatMad wrote: »
    In the same way as many call the UK - England and this annoys many welsh and scots too,

I'm from Blackrock.

I call it the South or Southern Ireland because thats what it is. 2 different nations on one island, if they were adjacent vertically I would say West and East. No other connotations involved, just wanted to learn something about the government finances. And I don't care about annoying people because at the end of the day if you're annoyed by a point of direction then you are way too insecure.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Republic of Ireland is analogous to Southern Ireland, it's a commonly accepted and used phrase.

You don't even live in the republic of Ireland either as the official name of the 26 counties is simply "Ireland" according to our constitution. Constitutionally/legally Northern Ireland isn't even part of Ireland but part of what is defined as the "island of Ireland". So the north of Ireland in this context would be Donegal! :o

It's all very confusing so don't get bogged down in silly names.

Southern Ireland is only used by Brits who don't know any better. Just because there's a "Northen Ireland" which is a legal and political entity, they think there must be a "Southern Ireland"...but there isn't. Just like there is a West Virginia one might think there is a corresponding "East Virginia"..but there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Egginacup wrote: »
    Southern Ireland is only used by Brits who don't know any better. Just because there's a "Northen Ireland" which is a legal and political entity, they think there must be a "Southern Ireland"...but there isn't. Just like there is a West Virginia one might think there is a corresponding "East Virginia"..but there isn't.
    Patently wrong.

• Advertisement

I'm from Blackrock.

nuh said, sorry for your troubles, if you take the Dort north you may find that you can visit the capital of the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭true567

nuh said, sorry for your troubles, if you take the Dort north you may find that you can visit the capital of the Republic of Ireland.

Insecurity about a country's name is pathetic. Remember that thread about Irish inferiority complexes? It would be the capital of Southern or the Republic. If and when there is a UI then it can be called the capital of the Republic or just Ireland for that matter, but we should respect those in the North as they are also Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Patently wrong.

Any Irish person that refers to their country as 'Southern Ireland' is patently an idiot
    Southern Ireland was a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which later became the independent state of Ireland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Ireland_(1921%E2%80%9322)

Any Irish person that refers to their country as 'Southern Ireland' is patently an idiot
    You are entitled to hold your (slightly eccentric) opinion.

Republic of Ireland, Southern Ireland, Ireland (for all you constiutional lawyers out there), and Free State / 26 counties (for the 'ra heads) are all ways of referring to our little nation state. The problem is the lack of means of distinction from our Northern neighbour.

Insecurity about a country's name is pathetic. Remember that thread about Irish inferiority complexes? It would be the capital of Southern or the Republic. If and when there is a UI then it can be called the capital of the Republic or just Ireland for that matter, but we should respect those in the North as they are also Irish.

You totally miss the point

Southern Ireland was a division of Ireland , then part of the Union, created by the Government of ireland Act of 1920. It was replaced by the Irish free state , in 1922 and then by the term Ireland in the 1937 constitution The term Republic of Ireland is merely a statement of that fact.

Anyone using the term Southern Ireland, is either using it in ignorance or is misguided, it would be like referring to `england as Albion in modern conversation.

The use of the term " the south " is different, that is a geographical moniker, often used incorrectly in political discussions,

Any citizen of this state would use the term Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, as that is the correct name in English and is the one recognised by both the Uk and used in the UN.

I make no political statement in regards this nor no inference in regards Northern Ireland ( which is the correct term for the entity north of us).

It is entirely wrong to conclude that the use of the internationally correct name of the state is a slight to another nation in my view.

• Advertisement

You totally miss the point

Southern Ireland was a division of Ireland , then part of the Union, created by the Government of ireland Act of 1920. It was replaced by the Irish free state , in 1922 and then by the term Ireland in the 1937 constitution The term Republic of Ireland is merely a statement of that fact.

Anyone using the term Southern Ireland, is either using it in ignorance or is misguided, it would be like referring to `england as Albion in modern conversation.

The use of the term " the south " is different, that is a geographical moniker, often used incorrectly in political discussions,

Any citizen of this state would use the term Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, as that is the correct name in English and is the one recognised by both the Uk and used in the UN.

I make no political statement in regards this nor no inference in regards Northern Ireland ( which is the correct term for the entity north of us).

It is entirely wrong to conclude that the use of the internationally correct name of the state is a slight to another nation in my view.
    The correct name is Ireland, not Republic of Ireland. And I disagree with your assertion that "any citizen" would use term X as it implies any citizen who doesn't use term X shouldn't be a citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Southern Ireland Ceased to exist on the founding of the Irish free state in 1922. Not saying the usage is not correct or allowed. Heard load of people in the Rep use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭BD45

What I wouldn't give to see one of those Tu-95s flying in low overhead. The sound must be incredible.

The correct name is Ireland, not Republic of Ireland. And I disagree with your assertion that "any citizen" would use term X as it implies any citizen who doesn't use term X shouldn't be a citizen.

I made no such inference, merely that a citizen would surely be expected to use the correct term for his or her state.

The term Republic of Ireland is actually correct , it is merely a correct statement of the name. Its use is similar to the term " The republic of france". it is a prefix to the name indicating thats name's status.

I made no such inference, merely that a citizen would surely be expected to use the correct term for his or her state.

The term Republic of Ireland is actually correct , it is merely a correct statement of the name. Its use is similar to the term " The republic of france". it is a prefix to the name indicating thats name's status.
    A citizen is not expected to do any such thing, placing expectations on citizenship is not something we should ever aspire to.

The term "Republic of Ireland" is not the correct name of this country. The correct name of this country is "Ireland" in the English language and "Éire" in every other language.

The term "Republic of France" is also not correct, the correct name of that country is "French Republic".

A citizen is not expected to do any such thing, placing expectations on citizenship is not something we should ever aspire to.

The term "Republic of Ireland" is not the correct name of this country. The correct name of this country is "Ireland" in the English language and "Éire" in every other language.

The term "Republic of France" is also not correct, the correct name of that country is "French Republic".

lets leave this as you are arguing for the sake of it.

I did not say the name of the country is The Republic of Ireland.

I said the term . Republic of Ireland is correct as its describes the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

BD45 wrote: »
    What I wouldn't give to see one of those Tu-95s flying in low overhead. The sound must be incredible.

I read about pilots of fighter jets claiming the Bear could be heard over their own engines. That's one loud plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'm from Blackrock.

I call it the South or Southern Ireland because thats what it is.

People from Buncrana live in the 'South' then, even though they're more northerly that people from the 'North'.... right, good man yourself.

But let's be honest, you use the phrase to get a rise. Or is that a 'down' in your speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

circadian wrote: »
    Ah yes, the Air Force of a currently stand offish state entering our airspace unannounced on a number of occasions, is absolutely nothing.
    not our airspace, international airspace

srsly78 wrote: »
    Firstly, it's international airspace. Secondly, military aircraft do not have to use transponders.
    can you find us the actual rule that covers that the IAA have said these flight breached ICAO rules

• Advertisement

Just found this happened once again, what's the story?

03/03/2015 : - breakingnews.ie

''Commercial jets carrying hundreds of people had to be diverted in mid-air or else prevented from taking off to avoid potential collisions with two Russian bear bombers which “cloaked” their presence during their latest incursion into Irish-controlled airspace.''

''The IAA said its air traffic controllers were notified by British counterparts that they needed to take action to ensure the safety of commercial aircraft, because yet again the Russian bombers had entered our area of airspace control with their transponders turned off. ''

''The first Russian incursion into Irish-controlled airspace was 88km off the coast. The second was much nearer, just 19km outside our sovereign airspace and the incursion lasted from 3pm to 7pm. ''

'cloaked', its the Romulans not the rusians now is it?

one plane was on the ground the other the distance of the plane to these russian planes is not mentioned so it wasn't close.

'cloaked', it the Romulans not the rusians now is it?

one plane was on the ground the other the distance of the plane to these russia planes is not mentioned so it wasn't close.

Civilian planes have limited range collision detection systems and radar for landing only used at landing. So prey tell how a passenger jet it supposed to know were the Russian plane is in it's Flight path with no transponder.

Civilian planes have limited range collision detection systems and radar for landing only used at landing. So prey tell how a passenger jet it supposed to know were the Russian plane is in it's Flight path with no transponder.

air traffic control's primary radar will tell them

air traffic control primary radar will tell them

Military planes have ECM, radar jammers and all that. Civilian radar would probably only be able to say its in the area and not where it is. Think they can also spoof multiple radar contacts.

Military planes have ECM, radar jammers and all that. Civilian radar would probably only be able to say its in the area and not where it is. Think they can also spoof multiple radar contacts.
    if thats what the Irish Examiner meant by that...

if thats what the Irish Examiner meant by that...

Pro meant Cloaked from Radar or what not, And not "invisibility cloaking"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Define what you mean by "Cloaked from radar".

so how did the UK and Norway see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Philidelphia Experiment

• Advertisement

so how did the UK and Norway see them?

Well the UK developed Radar able to Track those American Stealth planes, So I'm guessing using that. And these bombers don't have stealth technology They have ECM and Radar jammers. Think people are mistaking Military radar system's and what Civilian system can do. UK has AWAC's and all that too. Where as we do not.

Advertisement