Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

russian-bombers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

They just want to say hi, very misunderstood the Russians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I thought this was going to be a thread about vodka based cocktails with Jägermeister.

I feel cheated. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

It's time we showed them we mean business. We should send Crystal Swing on a Russisn tour.

Payback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

stimpson wrote: »
    It's time we showed them we mean business. We should send Crystal Swing on a Russisn tour.

Payback!

I don't know how you can make jokes about such a serious subject.

They are the von Trapps of our generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

I don't know how you can make jokes about such a serious subject.

They are the von Trapps of our generation.

I think they are more aristocrats than von trapps to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ara Ireland's tiny, sure they're never hit us.
    Sure we're well in with everyone, tis sound.

Wide Load wrote: »
    I think they are more aristocrats than von trapps to be fair.

We shall see.

Historians will judge how far Crystal Swing were ahead of their time according to the votes cast for Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät in the forthcoming Eurovision Song Contest.

In the meantime, we can only speculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

What military capability does Ireland have to defend the state from monstrous nuclear bombers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What military capability does Ireland have to defend the state from monstrous nuclear bombers?

Isis water protestors ?

You may scoff, but being no threat whatsoever is our greatest defence in that particular situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

You may scoff, but being no threat whatsoever is our greatest defence in that particular situation.

And prevailing south westerlies, thank fcuk.

Yup International airport used by the USA Shannon has a nuke pointed at it does it not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Reconnaissance missions.

You dont send bombers on recon, you send recon planes on recon.

Its big waving pure and simple, someone will shoot one down or at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Yup International airport used by the USA Shannon has a nuke pointed at it does it not.

Reportedly Shannon airport had nukes pointed at it during the cold war anyway, I think Foynes, cork harbour maybe and certainly parts of NI were also targeted.

Reportedly Shannon airport had nukes pointed at it during the cold war anyway, I think Foynes, cork harbour maybe and certainly parts of NI were also targeted.

True, What about the new Cold war ?

If it hit that area it could cause millions of Euro worth of improvements, boom tish.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Just seeking clarification here. The article mentions that the planes flew 80 km from "Ireland-controlled airspace" and at another time much closer.....14 km from "Irish Sovereign Airspace". What is the distinction? And were either episodes in violation of the "rules"? I don't know what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Why would anyone want to nuke Foynes?

Egginacup wrote: »
    Just seeking clarification here. The article mentions that the planes flew 80 km from "Ireland-controlled airspace" and at another time much closer.....14 km from "Irish Sovereign Airspace". What is the distinction? And were either episodes in violation of the "rules"? I don't know what they are.

Well, you should stay out of the discussion then.

Egginacup wrote: »

Think the general rule is Don't Fly warplanes around Neutral countries, I think if they get to close the Lads next door may help it have a splash landing. Russia Has no justification in doing what it's doing around Ireland or Uk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Don't Aeroflot use it regularly too?

True, What about the new Cold war ?

I dunno, at least with the last Cold War we knew who was on who's side. Since the end of it we've seen the emergence of proper nut jobs, such as ISIS. I think I prefer the nuke threat.

It's a facility that could be used by one side or another. Nuke it, no one can use it.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Don't Aeroflot use it regularly too?

Yup but as a poster pointed out could be used by Either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

The Russians are just testing the western response time and causing a bit of a nuisance for the RAF in response to NATO sabre rattling THE idea that the Russians were going to nuke anyone let alone Ireland with a 1950s bomber is extreme tin foil hat magic mushroom territory Firstly because thats what ICBMS are for and secondly because of mutually assured destruction

The Russians are just testing the western response time and causing a bit of a nuisance for the RAF in response to NATO sabre rattling THE idea that the Russians were going to nuke anyone let alone Ireland with a 1950s bomber is extreme tin foil hat magic mushroom territory Firstly because thats what ICBMS are for and secondly because of mutually assured destruction

Eh No tinfoil hats needed about Nukes the last one had some in it. I'm not saying Ireland would be nuked by these planes. But people were under the misconception that Ireland is not targeted by Nuclear weapons in the past Not sure about now. And what NATO sabre Rattling ? It's the Russians invading sovereign states not NATO. NATO are just showing they have not gone away.

No one thinks they're going to nuke us.

What they ARE doing is posing a danger to civilian air traffic. As we saw over Ukraine they're not all that bothered at killing a few hundred civvies.

If they are not respecting our countries wishes then send their Ambassador back East.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It was one of the biggest airports (seaplanes) in Europe used by civilians during WWII and is still a very strategically located sea port

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Foynes_Port

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

magic mushroom territory

Sorry I know nothing about this.....

Do you? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

Enda could ask gerry for some sam missiles.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Well, you should stay out of the discussion then.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwww.

Advertisement