Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It's probably worth Necro'ing this thread since Valve have released a toll to see if your PC is VR ready. Doesn't check for USB compat/suitability but here's my results.
    Might be worth a Mod changing the title too.

379152.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

It's probably worth Necro'ing this thread since Valve have released a toll to see if your PC is VR ready. Doesn't check for USB compat/suitability but here's my results.
    Might be worth a Mod changing the title too.

nice result. you only need 1 usb 2.0 port for the Vive I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Pre-orders up on Steam now, for a measly sum of €1,000! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

It's only $700 in the US, that's a rip off.. I'll wait for later revisions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

€1000 is absolute bull****. You'd be able to fly to the US and buy it there for less then that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Kiith wrote: »
    €1000 is absolute bull****. You'd be able to fly to the US and buy it there for less then that.

Well that's not true.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

$700 is around €650, and you can occasionally get to the states for less then €350. You might not get home, but i never said that :P

Seriously though, it's crazy that $700 somehow equals €1000. Even adding tax and/or import costs, it should be nowhere near that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

For that delivery price I want mine to be delivered by Lord Gaben in person. On the back of winged unicorn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A grand!?!
    s5GHbQF.gif

I'm on board the VR train but I'd be quicker to put that kind of money towards building a new machine. I figure I'll be waiting a few years for the next iteration when I'll probably have a new machine anyways and they have the VR tech refined more.

Kiith wrote: »
    $700 is around €650, and you can occasionally get to the states for less then €350. You might not get home, but i never said that :P

Seriously though, it's crazy that $700 somehow equals €1000. Even adding tax and/or import costs, it should be nowhere near that much.

The dollar price is without tax so when converted and tax added it comes to about €900 which is the actual price listed on steam, not €1000.

The delivery comes to €74 which is strange alright but some people reported being able to select standard shipping for £5 (not sure if any Irish people got that option). Perhaps they made a mistake with the shipping options

Overall, it's in line with the oculus rift price since that does not have motion controllers or room-scale tracking.

• Advertisement

does not room-scale tracking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXrJu-zOzm4

I think Oculus' biggest PR failure is to allow this false notion to perpetuate to the point of being taken as fact.

It's even happening in articles from games journalists. It's starting to get aggravating, people are so desperate to qualify the difference between the two major headsets that they're inventing differences where there are none.

There are different emphases, sure - but that's not the same thing. They're basically the same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the OR is getting the Chaperon system so there must be room scaling on it

Zillah wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXrJu-zOzm4

I think Oculus' biggest PR failure is to allow this false notion to perpetuate to the point of being taken as fact.

It's even happening in articles from games journalists. It's starting to get aggravating, people are so desperate to qualify the difference between the two major headsets that they're inventing differences where there are none.

There are different emphases, sure - but that's not the same thing. They're basically the same product.

My post was in the context of price comparison ie the Vive without the motion controllers and only 1 lighthouse would probably cost the same as the Rift. But since we're on the subject..

The Oculus Rift kit at the moment requires a USB connection for the constellation camera so they may run into problems with max USB cable length. The Vive lighthouses are dumb so only require power (no pc connection) therefore you can have them in opposite corners of the room to limit occlusion when you have your back turned. Reporters who tested the room scale demo from Oculus said that they lost view of their controllers when they had their back turned to the Constellation cameras. Oculus will do room scale somehow otherwise they won't compete long term.

My biggest concern with the Vive atm are the reports of fresnel lines appearing in the lenses with certain in-game lighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Good article about it here
    Mentioned a good idea which is to avoid '1st gen' devices, unless wrapping in clingfilm (unopened) and placed in the attic as a future antiquity.

Vive looks great on paper with twin handsets and wall sensors.
    000be1a8-642.jpg

Higher-end Estate Agents are certainly interested in depolyment to sell their overpriced houses.

Might brush up on the coding and 3D environment creation software, as this technology will almost certainly replace an awful lot of current tech interfaces within 5yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

The dollar price is without tax so when converted and tax added it comes to about €900 which is the actual price listed on steam, not €1000.

The delivery comes to €74 which is strange alright but some people reported being able to select standard shipping for (not sure if any Irish people got that option). Perhaps they made a mistake with the shipping options

Overall, it's in line with the oculus rift price since that does not have motion controllers or room-scale tracking.

Still pretty pricey given you'll probably need a high-end pascal card to run it well (or the higher end of maxwell/980Ti)... I'll be waiting on the later iterations and just upgrade the rig so i'll good to go when the time comes, unless something happens that changes my mind.

gazzamc wrote: »
    Still pretty pricey given you'll probably need a high-end pascal card to run it well (or the higher end of maxwell/980Ti)

I don't think anyone is in a position to say exactly what the high or low end of Pascal is going to be. However, it looks like they'll be releasing the higher end first, which is said to be a replacement for the Titan brand, which would put it far away above the recommended spec for VR.

My bet is that the lower end of Pascal is going to be 970 territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Any killer games going to be available for the Vive?

I am starting notice some of games that look very interesting are Rift & PSVR with no mention of Vive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

one of my first buys i think.
    http://www.adr1ft.com/

It's only $20 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Pretty similar results for me with a R9 290..
    SteamVR.png

• Advertisement

Australians getting charged now. If you ordered by credit card you might get charged later today

No news for UK or Irish orders except for those who noticed charges on their credit cards. I'm glad I used Paypal (got charged immediately) because they seem to have screwed up with how they handle denied payments for those who used credit card.

I don't think I'll have mine by April 5th :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Pretty similar results for me with a R9 290..
    SteamVR.png

Where did you go to find out that info?

Where did you go to find out that info?

Install the steamvr peformance test from the steam store

No news for UK or Irish orders except for those who noticed charges on their credit cards. I'm glad I used Paypal (got charged immediately) because they seem to have screwed up with how they handle denied payments for those who used credit card.

I don't think I'll have mine by April 5th :(

Rumour has it they're already sitting in a warehouse in shannon. :eek:

For the shipping cost I expect delivery on the 5th via a limo and to have it presented to me on a velvet cushion.

Bambi wrote: »
    Rumour has it they're already sitting in a warehouse in shannon. :eek:

For the shipping cost I expect delivery on the 5th via a limo and to have it presented to me on a velvet cushion.

Hehe, yeah that would be cool if they are. I think we're all hoping that the shipping cost was so high that we'll get notified tomorrow and receive it on Tuesday but I have my doubts

getting a bit antsy about this shipping thing, tomorrows the day and mums the word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLGQd2xv2KI&feature=youtu.be&t=10m3s

getting a bit antsy about this shipping thing, tomorrows the day and mums the word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLGQd2xv2KI&feature=youtu.be&t=10m3s

Yeah it's not going to arrive in Ireland tomorrow. They did say that they would start arriving on the 5th so I guess those German/Finnish etc customers who got shipping notifications on Friday might get them but we will have to wait.

One person said that HTC will send an update out later today - no one else mentioned this though.

A handful of people who went through the reorder process for the failed credit card payment cock up said that they would get shipping notification before Wednesday - that sounds promising anyway.

A Finnish guy was told that shipping was by normal DHL and not express so he wouldn't get it until the 11th (after getting a shipping notification last Friday) - that's worrying since we paid so much for shipping

Tracking data for ireland received: Vives should be delivered by end of day tomorrow.

Seems people who paid by credit card rather than paypal are being delayed

• Advertisement

Tracking data for ireland received: Vives should be delivered by end of day tomorrow.

Seems people who paid by credit card rather than paypal are being delayed

Mine is on the way. I really feel sorry for people who used credit cards, looks like the workaround they used to get their failed payments reinstated caused too much of a delay so now pre authorised charges timed out.

Advertisement