Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

nanook5 wrote: »
    I can say hands down, at no point do I ever not feel in control or relaxed when driving. I'll end this discussion on that note.

Thanks

Get a leap card.

Part of roadcraft is
    knowing your limits

If you don't know your limits.... then maybe , just maybe you're driving beyond them.

Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Both manoeuvres involve increased risk of collision due to the extra movements made.

How is it any more dangerous than taking a 3rd exit on a roundabout? Another few metres is not going to leave a trail of destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

mikeecho wrote: »
    Part of roadcraft is
    knowing your limits

If you don't know your limits.... then maybe , just maybe you're driving beyond them.

Just a thought.

You've your opinion, and I've mine. I know my limits much more than(you know mine) the majority of people on Irish roads.

You've your opinion, and I've mine. I know my limits much more than(you know mine) the majority of people on Irish roads.

Well, I know my limits.. and I make presumptuous of other people's abilities.

A combination of both, enables me to drive without encountering what you seem to encounter.

... that's the secret of road craft.

Knowing how to read the road, AND reading other road users.

*Edit

You're a **** driver , looking for and engaging in driving techniques, that create sensational° vids...

° ****e

Double edit... that's a lot of *'s

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Nah the only thing in the clip that would annoy me is the 2nd one, starting in left lane entering roundabout to drift over to take 3rd exit.

The weaving is silly and I didn't know if you just had ****ty ditch finders on :D

I try to move over to overtaking lane if possible if something is in the hard shoulder as they can be idiots like what happened to you. It's not something I can blame you on, it's just something to try to when possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

mikeecho wrote: »
    Well, I know my limits.. and I make presumptuous of other people's abilities.

A combination of both, enables me to drive without encountering what you seem to encounter.

... that's the secret of road craft.

Knowing how to read the road, AND reading other road users.

*Edit

You're a **** driver , looking for and engaging in driving techniques, that create sensational° vids...

° ****e

Double edit... that's a lot of *'s

:D:D:D I'll make sure to remember all your road craft "wisdom" if someone crashes into me. I can preach it to them too :rolleyes:
    Yawns wrote: »
    Nah the only thing in the clip that would annoy me is the 2nd one, starting in left lane entering roundabout to drift over to take 3rd exit.

The weaving is silly and I didn't know if you just had ****ty ditch finders on :D

I try to move over to overtaking lane if possible if something is in the hard shoulder as they can be idiots like what happened to you. It's not something I can blame you on, it's just something to try to when possible.

I drifted through the lanes to take the roundabout at that speed. No one coming from right or behind, so I seen it as an open road. No harm done. Nice dry tarmac too and I could feel there was still loads of grip left. If there was someone to my left I would have slowed and kept to my lane, as anyone would.

I have brand new Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on my car so no problem weaving :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Isambard wrote: »
    you're advocating cruising on the overtaking lane?

How did you get that from what I said, yikes.. No moving out to the outside lane when passing a stopped vehicle on the hard should is not "cruising on in :rolleyes: the overtaking lane" and if you think it is you on the far far right of the Overtaken lane police.... it is 1. safer for both vehicles , 2. courteous and 3. just plan smart defensive driving. And would you believe its a law in some USA States.

I also do it on N roads R roads etc.. stopped traffic needs to be given a wide berth where possible because as proven in this thread People are both unpredictable and Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

And on nanook5 clip, at least it's a video in this thread and not 3 pages of waffle, but to be fair Vic is bang on your driving is either exaggerated to get a reaction or to get a good clip.. perhaps don't post such incriminating clips next time :cool:

Not saying I'm a golden boy of driving, I've encountered several clips worth of this thread however I know they'd get shredded for the wrong reason due to minor issues with my driving..

But ya relax mate and drive a little more defensively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I can say hands down, at no point do I ever not feel in control or relaxed when driving. I'll end this discussion on that note.

nanook. Why not take your own suggestion and quit while you are behind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Nanook5,

Not having a go at you but would like to use your video to pose a question, mods move to a separate thread if you feel that it's warranted. We have a lot of those mini roundabouts similar to the one in your video (approx 40 seconds in). They have been inserted at t-junctions which previously would have had stop signs. The visibility coming from the minor road onto the major road would not be great but on the major road you can see straight through the roundabout and therefore know you can drive straight through if nothing oncoming is turning right.

The question i have for everyone is in your video at 43 seconds you are approaching the roundabout at 37km/hr and while you are still 1 car length from the yield line the car from the right starts to cross her yield line, therefore she has entered the roundabout before you have crossed your yield line, who is in the right here if a collision occurs? Is there any onus on the op as he should be prepared for oncoming vehicles to him to turn right but may not be indicating?

I'm genuinely interested to hear views as I constantly end up mid way through a manoeuvre to turn right at mini roundabouts and while there may have been nothing coming when I started to turn yet midway through the turn a car approaches their yield line and crosses it nearly sideswiping my car.

Views?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭blade1

rocky wrote: »

Did the Lexus speed up for drama?
    He surely saw him nice and early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

speed up is what you do coming off a roundabout.....fanny about is what you don't do coming off a sliproad.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Mod edit. banned for 24hrs for ignoring warning

i think what you have to do is stop thinking of the straight through road as one road and rather regard it as two roads meeting at the roundabout. If a car is to your left you have right of way, they shouldn't be doing what you describe, however it's not correct to say you have to give way to traffic not yet on the roundabout.

Isambard wrote: »
    speed up is what you do coming off a roundabout.....fanny about is what you don't do coming off a sliproad.

Yes and speed up is not what you do if some idiot is fannying about in front of you.
    Only asking as not sure looking on my phone are both drivers a bit guilty.

blade1 wrote: »
    Did the Lexus speed up for drama?
    He surely saw him nice and early.
    There's a nice long merging lane there, but the other driver decided to not use it and just jump in front of the white car!
    Crap merging and unfortunately an all too common thing on Irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Yes and speed up is not what you do if some idiot is fannying about in front of you.
    Only asking as not sure looking on my phone are both drivers a bit guilty.

That's what I saw too. There was clearly a queue up ahead so I cant see the need to speed up like that.

• Advertisement

There's a nice long merging lane there, but the other driver decided to not use it and just jump in front of the white car!
    Crap merging and unfortunately an all too common thing on Irish roads.
    I saw the crap merging.
    I also saw the poor way it was dealt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I saw the crap merging.
    I also saw the poor way it was dealt it.

i can see the problem, the guy wanted the right lane, there was a queue, what would he have done if he had used the length of the merge lane? Ok so he dithered about it and made a mess of it, but in reality crossing the hatchings was his only real choice, the road design is presumably at fault.

Jacovs wrote: »

In the first video, is the second car (silver) by any chance a squad car that seen the first car?

Have only seen the video on the phone so cant really make it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

In the first video, is the second car (silver) by any chance a squad car that seen the first car?

Doubt it. Have never seen a Skoda squad car before. I'm pretty sure the would have pulled the driver straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,706 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Motortax.ie gives the plate a tax rate of €180 a year so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,706 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Doubt it. Have never seen a Skoda squad car before. I'm pretty sure the would have pulled the driver straight away.

They do have some Superbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Nope. In the second video its the same 2 cars infront of me and the silver car goes off to the left and we go the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

They do have some Superbs.

Can confirm silver superb estate.
    Very inconspicuous car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Can confirm silver superb estate.
    Very inconspicuous car

Not just silver there are a few saloons and estates.

Lot of cars out there you wouldn't think are but what can be the case these are higher up the food chain so tend not to be pulling people in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement