Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

jaxxx wrote: »
    Roundabouts are my biggest pet peeve when it comes to other road users. One of the scenarios I encounter most often is someone in the right hand lane taking a 12 o'clock exit. Absolutely ridiculous.

I agree with you but the RSA has to take some of the responsibility as the signage on roundabouts (if visible) is not standardised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

What's going on at 1:25? The swaying?

warming his tyres for the next overtake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

nanook5 wrote: »

Here's a small compilation of some of my own clips. Nothing too major :rolleyes:

What exit are you taking in the first clip?
    Did you actually go around the roundabout to take the first exit? I'm assuming there's a line of cars in the left lane if you're using this tactic

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Some say...... he is still on that roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What's going on at 1:25? The swaying?

Nodding his car at the driver on front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Caliden wrote: »
    What exit are you taking in the first clip?
    Did you actually go around the roundabout to take the first exit? I'm assuming there's a line of cars in the left lane if you're using this tactic

Yes that's what exactly I'm doing. Very busy roundabout with very long line of cars in left lane, and a lot less in the right.

Nodding his car at the driver on front.

Something like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Those 2 hard shoulder clips are a good example of why (when the outside lane is empty) you should always move over to the outside lane (Which I do), people are idiots and unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah I'm going to hell for laughing at that... :D

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Those 2 hard shoulder clips are a good example of why (when the outside lane is empty) you should always move over to the outside lane (Which I do), people are idiots and unpredictable.

I can't remember if there was a car coming up behind me, but you're right .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Riva10 wrote: »
    I agree with you but the RSA has to take some of the responsibility as the signage on roundabouts (if visible) is not standardised.

Agreed 100%. And many don't have signage at all. I'm driving since I was 18, so almost a decade. Touch wood I've not been involved in any accidents and long may that continue. I put that down not to luck but my own driving philosophy and that is to assume that 99 times out of 100, the other driver is going to do the wrong thing. Perhaps a very pessimistic attitude to take but it's served me well thus far. This applies especially to roundabouts, I will always assume that someone else will not understand the golden rule of roundabouts (left lane for 6-12 o'clock, right lane for 12-6). As well as the RSA, I think a lot of it has to do with the people that taught them to drive as well. That goes for more than just which lane to take at roundabouts. If you're taught something incorrectly then you're gonna implement that until something happens.

Also, once you've gotten your license, that's it. You never need to renew. Every 10 years or so I think everyone should take a resit of their test. Now this doesn't have to be as strictly monitored as someone taking their test for the first time, because everyone picks up bad habits as their driving career goes on. But the basics should be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Here's a small compilation of some of my own clips. Nothing too major :rolleyes:

If a car is in the hard shoulder in the motorway up ahead where at all possible move out into the right lane, or slow down significantly. if someone had staggered out of that car at 1:40, you would have killed them stone dead. Irrespective of whose fault it might me, that would be very difficult to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Shane_ef wrote: »

you're advocating cruising on the overtaking lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Fast lane police return to base.
    He meant when there's someone stopped in the hard shoulder, "...move over..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I think you need to turn the cam on yourself. Some of your driving is atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Isambard wrote: »
    you're advocating cruising on the overtaking lane?
    Moving out into overtaking lane while passing potential hazard is hardly"cruising"

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Originally Posted by Damien360
    Not making it an excuse but what speed were you going. Both of them left you for dust. Can you get a reg for undertake off raw video file ?

CineO
    I'd guess around 80-90 km/h.

It wasn't me, it is from my partner's DashCam.
    She had eased off a bit due to the very wet and windy conditions, and told me she had set the cruise at 105km/h.
    I took a screenshot and expanded it, and the reg read 08 CW 1386

eezipc wrote: »
    I think you need to turn the cam on yourself. Some of your driving is atrocious.

Care to explain where you see bad driving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭mikeecho

eezipc wrote: »

To me it seems as if he is looking for an accident.

A obstruction ahead... and you accelerate..

Doing 55 on a roundabout.

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote: »
    To me it seems as if he is looking for an accident.

A obstruction ahead... and you accelerate..

Doing 55 on a roundabout.

Was I at any point out of control around the round about? No

Did I see the car pulling out in front of me when I was half way round ? Yes

Dashcam isn't spot on with the speed , its a second or two behind, but its not like I'm going to stop dead for every car that pulls out in front of me.
    If anything, people seeing a car coming straight for them is going to deter them from taking a chance pulling out next time .

Was I at any point out of control around the round about? No

Did I see the car pulling out in front of me when I was half way round ? Yes

Dashcam isn't spot on with the speed , its a second or two behind, but its not like I'm going to stop dead for every car that pulls out in front of me.
    If anything, people seeing a car coming straight for them is going to deter them from taking a chance pulling out next time .

Look, I have found over the years, that if someone can't recognise their own faults.
    Then I will waste a lot my time.

I've enough to be doing.

Look, I have found over the years, that if someone can't recognise their own faults.
    Then I will waste a lot my time.

I've enough to be doing.

OK suit yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Care to explain where you see bad driving ?

1st clip; using right lane to skip traffic by going around roundabout
    2nd clip; approach roundabout in left lane, drift across to right on roundabout
    5th clip; closing distance to car in front while being overtaken, then the bizarre weaving nonsense. That one in particular is very poor, typical "how dare he overtake me" sh!t that is all too common here.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    1st clip; using right lane to skip traffic by going around roundabout
    2nd clip; approach roundabout in left lane, drift across to right on roundabout
    5th clip; closing distance to car in front while being overtaken, then the bizarre weaving nonsense. That one in particular is very poor, typical "how dare he overtake me" sh!t that is all too common here.

1. I'm currently unaware of any rule of the road that states that it is illegal/unsafe to go around a round about once before taking the exit required . There should be no cause for a crash as traffic should heed to me. Please enlighten me if I am wrong through.

2. I'll admit I did drift from left to right lane, however no car was behind me.You're right here

3. In the clip with the overtake, I was p*ssed off because that road is constantly at a standstill because of traffic. I was doing 95-100km/h in a 100km/h zone(approaching a village). He was driving up my arse , being a Pr*ck , then he decides to overtake and brake in front of me, thus reducing my braking distance . A pointless overtake as I was directly behind him for the next 10 minutes until I turned off.

I'd just like to point out that I don't think I am not prone to mistakes myself. I will admit when I'm in wrong, if its warranted.

1. I'm currently unaware of any rule of the road that states that it is illegal/unsafe to go around a round about once before taking the exit required . There should be no cause for a crash as traffic should heed to me. Please enlighten me if I am wrong through.
    Correct, there is nothing illegal or "wrong" about it, but it sits up there with junction leap frog, where someone leaves a slow moving motorway/dual carriageway at a junction then goes straight over at the top and rejoins the mainline a few cars ahead. Both manoeuvres involve increased risk of collision due to the extra movements made.

I could be wrong, but from my viewing of his clip, nanook5 seems to be either looking for a collision, or to provoke /induce a dramatic video.

That's my opinion.

Correct, there is nothing illegal or "wrong" about it, but it sits up there with junction leap frog, where someone leaves a slow moving motorway/dual carriageway at a junction then goes straight over at the top and rejoins the mainline a few cars ahead. Both manoeuvres involve increased risk of collision due to the extra movements made.

Fair point, but in the case of going around the roundabout, I can only see it being the case that someone would be crashing into me (which I have no problem with). The chances are almost negligible however. I was taking the 12 O'Clock exit in this case. A lot of people at this roundabout jump the queue using the right lane, but try the squeeze in from the right lane, as opposed to going around once like me. I do this to not be a knob, others may see otherwise.
    I could be wrong, but from my viewing of his clip, nanook5 seems to be either looking for a collision, or to provoke /induce a dramatic video.

That's my opinion.

See it how you will, I merely posted it up for peoples enjoyment.
    If I wanted a collision, I'd have had many by now . Dramatic would be blowing the horn at every person in the video. I try to withhold doing that as much as possible and vent within my car to myself.

Fair point, but in the case of going around the roundabout, I can only see it being the case that someone would be crashing into me (which I have no problem with). The chances are almost negligible however. I was taking the 12 O'Clock exit in this case. A lot of people at this roundabout jump the queue using the right lane, but try the squeeze in from the right lane, as opposed to going around once like me. I do this to not be a knob, others may see otherwise.

See it how you will, I merely posted it up for peoples enjoyment.
    If I wanted a collision, I'd have had many by now . Dramatic would be blowing the horn at every person in the video. I try to withhold doing that as much as possible and vent within my car to myself.

A knowledge and ability of roadcraft will allow you to avoid a lot of situations. , it'll also give a more relaxed and controlled driving experience.

Edit. Useing the horn.. well, you know what that's for, or do you need to be reminded

• Advertisement

A knowledge and ability of roadcraft will allow you to avoid a lot of situations. , it'll also give a more relaxed and controlled driving experience.

I can say hands down, at no point do I ever not feel in control or relaxed when driving. I'll end this discussion on that note.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement