Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope Francis Compares Transgendered People To Nuclear Weapons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

reprise wrote: »
    same sex marriage = transsexualism?

Not that I would argue with a self confessed expert, but who knew?

You think same sex marriage is the same as transsexualism?? You really don't have a clue about much, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

1123heavy wrote: »
    This thread is going around in circles, I personally think you are all aware of how abhorrent this behavior truly is but like to pretend you think it's right for the sake of sounding non judgmental.

I think you need to meet some transgender people and see that they aren't all evil/crazy/insane/*insert anything else negative here*, but just normal people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

That doesn't seem dangerous to me, but then again I don't read far-right rags.

New Scientist is far right?

Jesus wept.

Who decides your reading material for you so you don't get offended?

Cienciano wrote: »
    You think same sex marriage is the same as transsexualism?? You really don't have a clue about much, do you?

I would never claim to be the expert you are on transsexualism or same sex marriage and what does or does not constitute a "coherent" argument on these topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

B_Wayne wrote: »
    Scientific community dear, the scientific evidence shows that you're causing immense damage by denying your gender or by people such as yourself who abuse them..

Stop talking out of your ar$e, will you? You speak for the "Scientific community" with a certainty that they themselves dare not use.
    Transexuality appears to be of neurobiological origin - to do with the central nervous system - and is manifested in the brain (elongated receptors). "Something happens during the in-utero development of the transsexual child's central nervous system and the child is left with innate, strongly perceived cross-gender body feelings and self-perceptions."*

Genes, genitals or upbringing do not determine gender identity - or so the professionals believe.

*Theories of the causes of transexualism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

"Differences in the brain's white matter that clash with a person's genetic sex may hold the key to identifying transsexual people before puberty. Doctors could use this information to make a case for delaying puberty to improve the success of a sex change later." - New Scientist Jan 2011

All that says is that there may be some way to identify transgenders early on , says nothing about it being dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

reprise wrote: »
    New Scientist is far right?

Jesus wept.

Who decides your reading material for you so you don't get offended?

From what I recall, lazybones is a conservative Catholic.

:confused:

Were you calling lazybones a "far right mag"?

That doesn't seem dangerous to me, but then again I don't read far-right rags.

You seem to have trouble accurately reading and comprehending posts on Boards, so I don't take much notice of your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Widely accepted by who ?

There is plenty of scientific evidence to prove that this is dangerous stuff. It has implications that were previously unimaginable and all must be very wary of what exactly it is we are dealing with, I think many of you are underestimating the situation if I'm honest.
    Links to this evidence?

"Differences in the brain's white matter that clash with a person's genetic sex may hold the key to identifying transsexual people before puberty. Doctors could use this information to make a case for delaying puberty to improve the success of a sex change later." - New Scientist Jan 2011

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..... the danger...........

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    All that says is that there may be some way to identify transgenders early on , says nothing about it being dangerous

Did you read the second line? Can you think for yourself or do you need an Internet source to tell you something is dangerous before recognising its potential?

You seem to have trouble accurately reading and comprehending posts on Boards, so I don't take much notice of your opinion.

Would you care to explain how the quote you posted implies any danger at all because it says nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Also, another thing that grinds my gears with regards to this issue, is some sort of burden of proof that is placed on the transgender/sexual individual.

(Note: Not comparing this issue to that of homosexuality)

Similarly how it's constantly thrown about, "Are you born this way? Maybe they can't help it? etc." Why should this matter? Not saying this shouldn't be discussed, but it seems to be all that is.

If people want to identity as another gender, why shouldn't they be allowed? The reasons for it are theirs and theirs alone. Those reasons are sort of mute. Okay, they can prove they were born that way. You are suddenly going to change your opinion of them now? Yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

B_Wayne wrote: »
    It seems that all the the people shouting about trans being wrong know nothing of the scientific aspect to it. Pretty widely accepted that it is possible for a person to simply be born into the wrong body. Heavy, darce and all the guffawing hyenas thrive on their own ignorance and ignore any facts sent their way. Pretty sad really.
    The "scientific aspect" for transgenderism is tenuous at best IMO.

That of course isn't an argument for discriminating against anybody of any sex choosing to live their life in whatever way makes them happy and doesn't harm anyone else in the process.

Did you read the second line? Can you think for yourself or do you need an Internet source to tell you something is dangerous before recognising its potential?

The second line is about delaying puberty. Nothing to do with transgenderism. :confused:

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This thread is going around in circles, I personally think you are all aware of how abhorrent this behavior truly is but like to pretend you think it's right for the sake of sounding non judgmental.

So no links then? So basically you're making stuff up.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

So praise heavy but I'm talking out of my arse? I stated that being put under pressure by society to identify as expected gender is damaging if they simply don't identify as that gender . Then people such as heavy who view as 'abhorrent' are incredibly hurtful. Negatively hitting people who are trans is all that views such as heavy do.

Would you prefer not to respect a person's identified gender?

eviltwin wrote: »
    The second line is about delaying puberty. Nothing to do with transgenderism. :confused:

Oh my!...If a gene* is identified in a child which 'predisposes' the child to transexuality, doctors can delay puberty, to facilitate a possible gender-reassignment surgery later in life.

Would you consider delaying your children's puberty - by doses or hormones/blockers and subsequent application of the opposing hormone -so they could have an easier gender-reassignment treatment later in life? Remember, these are pre-pubescent children we're talking about here and we want them to decide if they want to be male or female, based on the presence of a gene or receptor and any insecurity they have about whether they feel they are a boy or a girl.

Block the natural action of the body; insert hormones and substances to alter it's development over the course of years, I presume; remove genitals; attach prosthetic breasts/penis?; continue hormone treatments as required; change birth certificate. All because of a few genes or receptors that make the person feel** like they were born in the wrong body.

Demolish and reconstruct the house because of some faulty wiring?

* It is inconclusive whether TGism is genetic but it is most-likely biological-based.
    ** the receptors are activated by hormones, etc

Oh my!...If a gene* is identified in a child which 'predisposes' the child to transexuality, doctors can delay puberty, to facilitate a possible gender-reassignment surgery later in life.

Would you consider delaying your children's puberty - by doses or hormones/blockers and subsequent application of the opposing hormone -so they could have an easier gender-reassignment treatment later in life? Remember, these are pre-pubescent children we're talking about here and we want them to decide if they want to be male or female, based on the presence of a gene or receptor and any insecurity they have about whether they feel they are a boy or a girl.

Block the natural action of the body; insert hormones and substances to alter it's development over the course of years, I presume; remove genitals; attach prosthetic breasts/penis?; continue hormone treatments as required; change birth certificate. All because of a few genes or receptors that make the person feel** like they were born in the wrong body.

Demolish and reconstruct the house because of some faulty wiring?

* It is inconclusive whether TGism is genetic but it is most-likely biological-based.
    ** the receptors are activated by hormones, etc

Its an option, not compulsory. You are clutching at straws.

I'm not a medical expert so I can't comment on the long term aspects of delaying puberty and I must admit I don't like the idea of interfering with the body's natural processes but that aspect is to do with treatment of transgenderism rather than transgenderism itself.

So when you talk about "danger" in that article what you really mean is the potential risks by new treatments not the transgender community themselves.

• Advertisement

Would you consider delaying your children's puberty - by doses or hormones/blockers and subsequent application of the opposing hormone -so they could have an easier gender-reassignment treatment later in life?
    You just said it yourself - to make their transition easier. I cant think why a parent would want to force their child to live in a gender that they don't identify as. That practice is inhumane and barbaric because of the disastrous consequences on mental and physical health.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

You just said it yourself - to make their transition easier. I cant think why a parent would want to force their child to live in a gender that they don't identify as. That practice is inhumane and barbaric because of the disastrous consequences on mental and physical health.

When you use the word child Joey,what age group are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

fran17 wrote: »
    Can you give us some examples of institutions or organisations you feel do not discriminate against the lgbt community?I'm curious because you seem to have a beef with everybody.

pot, kettle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

People on these forums automatically assume that everyone has to like transgenders/transsexual (whatever your having yourself) and if not they are "bigots", "full of hatred", "far-right nutjobs", etc etc. It may come as a surprise to you that not everyone agrees and there are still some people in this country who have morals and don't blindly jump on the bandwagon to support whatever nonsense is thrown at the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

pot, kettle etc.

Dudette please,i used the l in lgbt.Does that not earn me some brownie points?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I don't think children (pre-puberty) have the capability or understanding to make such a decision. I'd also question, as would many health professionals, whether the exogenous application of hormones in a crude attempt to fix the perceived problem isn't without significant risks. Especially when there is nothing wrong with the child.

People on these forums automatically assume that everyone has to like transgenders/transsexual (whatever your having yourself) and if not they are "bigots", "full of hatred", "far-right nutjobs", etc etc. It may come as a surprise to you that not everyone agrees and there are still some people in this country who have morals and don't blindly jump on the bandwagon to support whatever nonsense is thrown at the public.

Taking a dislike to someone for no other reason than a medical issue they have no control over...what would you call it?

When you use the word child Joey,what age group are you referring to?

In the UK children from 12 upwards can be given hormone blockers. Once they have gone through relevant diagnoses I dont particularly have a problem with that. Its temporary and reversible.

Terry Pratchet

No links to your danger studies?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Dudette please,i used the l in lgbt.Does that not earn me some brownie points?

Again with the lesbians.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement