Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I'm sure if EI had as much money in the bank as Emirates they'd have more nice approaches too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, can we all step back a little, we're getting complaints about the direction that this thread is going in, so the simplest solution is that I'm going to remove the off topic and handbag swinging stuff

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Ok, for all u anoraks (me included)........anyone spot anything extra re the paint job on FNG?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Ok, for all u anoraks (me included)........anyone spot anything extra re the paint job on FNG?

Shamrocks on the engines like the 757's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

L2 door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Yeah seems the font is different on the 'A330-300'

o56ee1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

So it is - new corporate Airbus look?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

The red lines around the pitot probes,tat and aoa sensors and static ports are a dashed red line instead of a solid one,il get my coat...

Yes folks the font caught my eye but what really caught my eye is directly under the radome in front of the nose gear doors , there's a big A330 decal which none of the other aircraft in the fleet have. Yes I know utterly anorak on my behalf but I thought I'd mix it for you sharp eyed Hawks !

Yes folks the font caught my eye but what really caught my eye is directly under the radome in front of the nose gear doors , there's a big A330 decal which none of the other aircraft in the fleet have. Yes I know utterly anorak on my behalf but I thought I'd mix it for you sharp eyed Hawks !

Possibly because it's the only one that still has its factory fitted colours whereas all the others have been to the paint shop and they've removed it.

• Advertisement

The 332 and 330 have different parking positions in respect to where the nose wheel stops. Park a 332 on a 330 position and the engines will possibly clobber ground equipment due to its shortened length. Maybe the decals are there to give a heads up and clarity to the marshaller? Good idea.....any EIN engineers care to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

The 332 and 330 have different parking positions in respect to where the nose wheel stops. Park a 332 on a 330 position and the engines will possibly clobber ground equipment due to its shortened length. Maybe the decals are there to give a heads up and clarity to the marshaller? Good idea.....any EIN engineers care to confirm?

Correct it was actually done for the folks in the states,think it's just on the 200s.
    Stand 401 at dub is the only dodgy stand with hammerhead markings,the -300 line is well forward.park it short on 200 line and a B777 will strike tail or park a 200 on the 300 line and your no.1 engine hits the airbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭john boye

The next A330 (EI-FNH) has been out on test flights in Toulouse

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aer-Lingus/Airbus-A330-302/3966749/L

Here she is.. The 10th A330 for EI..

EI-FNH.

Photo courtesy of dn280.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Looks like St.Lawrence/Lorcan O Tuathail to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

Am I alone in thinking that the paint job on the shamrock on the winglets of both FNG and FNH have been cocked up a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Cravens wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking that the paint job on the shamrock on the winglets of both FNG and FNH have been cocked up a bit?

I'm not sure if it is the way the winglet of FNH linked above is presented to the lens, but it looks like the shamrock is twisted to fit somewhat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Cravens wrote: »
    Looks normal to me, the shamrock almost always fills the entire winglet and that particular angle makes it look a little squashed but from the ground and a passenger point of view it's fine.

What is slightly different is how much of the winglet is now painted by Airbus, it used to be right down to the join with the wing but that no longer appears to be the case and they now leave a small gap.

If want to see a messed up paint job you just need to look at the recent repaints to the A330 fleet, the shamrocks are totally screwed up.

EI-DUO's wonky Shamrock:

https://flic.kr/p/L3D5ka

:blink:

Fattes wrote: »
    Dont think its much too be worried about from an EI perspective.
    IAG announcements recently also point to EI being the lead performer in the group, if anything Vueling is underperforming compared to forecasts.
    EI still need a narrow body renewal order regardless of soft growth globally.
    But then IAG do have quite a number of orders in the line already, he might just be making the statement to lay the ground for not taking up any options they had in place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Will EI hand onto their short haul fleet a bit longer?
    Have they ever considered getting Sharklets for their A320s like BA and Vueling ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Locker10a wrote: »
    Have they ever considered getting Sharklets for their A320s like BA and Vueling ?

Most of them are too old to get the easy Sharklet upgrade and require the rather invasive one. The 321s and the oldest 320s can't at all I believe.

Isn't there something about sharklets versus wingtip fences that one is better for climb performance whereas the other is better for cruise? EI have some pretty Longish routes that may benefit more from wonton fences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

[/QUOTE]

I've used it dozens of time in economy and business. Anecdotally, it seems to be used widely in business where they hand you an access card but in economy very few people seem to bother with it. I'd say most passengers don't even realise it's available as it's mentioned once in the pre-flight briefing and not pushed at all.[/quote]

I used it my last flight while up the front. Got an ok 3mg down mid-Atlantic but only about .1 up.

The gods are smiling on me tonight, flying home on -FNG!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Individual airline needs will still be under constant review by IAG, Aer Lingus is probably the most "in need" of new aircraft with the 757s and early A320s needing replacements in the short to medium term. IAG already have an order for A320neo aircraft and some could easily be allocated to Aer Lingus, there's even the potential for them to be converted to the A321neoLR if the business case is there.

Most of the A320 fleet is still quite young but if they're going to hang onto them a bit longer I'd like to see them get a proper cabin refurb, like what British Airways has recently done with new seats, lighting, walls and overhead lockers. The current cabin is very nice and the new lighter blue seat covers have brightened it up a bit but it's still rather bland and lacks any visible Aer Lingus branding.
    Locker10a wrote: »
    I think the Sharklets can only be easily retrofitted onto A320s built after 2012, older aircraft can still get it but require significant wing strengthening which reduces the efficiency of the device.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think the Sharklets can only be easily retrofitted onto A320s built after 2012, older aircraft can still get it but require significant wing strengthening which reduces the efficiency of the device.

Line numbers under about 1200 can't get it at all - that's all A321s and actually possibly no A320s currently - lowest is 1242

Between that and about l/n 4500 it takes nearly two weeks to fit - this is all bar four of the A320s as even this summers "new" EI-FNJ is actually l/n3174.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Dardania wrote: »
    EI have some pretty Longish routes that may benefit more from wonton fences?

Wonton fences are generally only used by Chinese airlines.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

The gods are smiling on me tonight, flying home on -FNG!

What route were you on? Let us know if you have any feedback on such a new aircraft....just over a week old now.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Dardania wrote: »
    EI have some pretty Longish routes that may benefit more from wonton fences?

Wonton fences are generally only used by Chinese airlines.

We're all very funny ;)

Chinese phone auto correct is subtly telling me what to eat of a Thursday night!

But I do think there's some optimization trade off with wingtips

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

EI-FNG

7A is a crew rest area. Although I only saw cabin manager use it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement