Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

john boye wrote: »
    Has the Omni 767 operation on SNN - BOS finished?

Yep finished on the 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

16bh3wx.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I assume that's the new A333? Slimline seats?
    Apart from newer IFE anything else different from a passenger point of view?

Tenger wrote: »
    I assume that's the new A333? Slimline seats?
    Apart from newer IFE anything else different from a passenger point of view?

Nope, seats are a little more comfy and not as hard, IFE is better (faster)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Will they considering replacing older aircraft with the new seats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Apparently not yet they're willing to modify them so they'll take those new ife screens...seems easier to replace seat TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Apparently not yet they're willing to modify them so they'll take those new ife screens...seems easier to replace seat TBH

Not just a case of replacing the screens without affecting the whole certification of the seats which would be a fairly mammoth task.
    Far easier to replace them with new seats which are already designed and certified for the new IFE fit rather than go through the whole process again and then have to modify the existing seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Any news on the routes for the new aircraft in 2017? A few months ago we were certain it was that week but nothing since. I find it hard to believe EI don't know exactly where they are going? Unless they are waiting for some other event to announce, one world membership for example.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Any news on the routes for the new aircraft in 2017? A few months ago we were certain it was that week but nothing since. I find it hard to believe EI don't know exactly where they are going? Unless they are waiting for some other event to announce, one world membership for example.

Rumours are Miami and Dallas, but wait for the official statement, you know how these rumours are :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

United are putting a 777 on dub-ewr for the winter. Wonder if they're trying to flood the route with capacity to persuade aer Lingus to back off from their hub.

• Advertisement

maximum12 wrote: »
    United are putting a 777 on dub-ewr for the winter. Wonder if they're trying to flood the route with capacity to persuade aer Lingus to back off from their hub.

While putting on the 777 for part of the winter (767 being used also), they're removing the second daily service, so the amount of seats is actually probably down a little.

Not just a case of replacing the screens without affecting the whole certification of the seats which would be a fairly mammoth task.
    Far easier to replace them with new seats which are already designed and certified for the new IFE fit rather than go through the whole process again and then have to modify the existing seats.

The only Mod is the part that'll hold the screen but I agree...

Routes already mentioned it's 100% Miami and Montreal is almost certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Do we know why they aren't announced yet though, seems strange if everyone already knows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Bussywussy wrote: »
    The only Mod is the part that'll hold the screen but I agree...

Routes already mentioned it's 100% Miami and Montreal is almost certain.

And that affects the certification of the whole seat...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Lol I doubt that ! EI-EDS/P are still flying around with Iberia seats after 5/6 years in the fleet !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭john boye

Were there 2 A330s to Malaga this morning?

Yes indeed

2 up until 2 October on Sundays and two Sundays in late September they will have x5 flights on Sundays to Malaga from Dublin. Never had so many flights from DUB with them and especially in September.

Next summer could be very interesting!

2 up until 2 October on Sundays and two Sundays in late September they will have x5 flights on Sundays to Malaga from Dublin. Never had so many flights from DUB with them and especially in September.

Next summer could be very interesting!

I guess the people who used to go to Turkey and Tunisia on holidays have to go somewhere

I guess the people who used to go to Turkey and Tunisia on holidays have to go somewhere

True but September appears to be one of the best in a long time. ACE is also up to x12 weekly, LPA x5 weekly and TFS x6 weekly.

• Advertisement

I went to Turkey for the first time this summer :P

And Tunisia and Egypt were only once a week anyway.

Just posting this here as a comparison for 2 reasons:
    Finnair introducing WiFi on its 30 A320 family aircraft from next year, going to be complete by 2018. (They already have Panaonic WiFi on their A330's)

Personally I've always believed Finnair and Aer Lingus to have the possibility to be very similar, geographically marginal but close to a larger network carrier. Geographically placed to exploit their location to operate a mini hub from Europe to Asia/USA.

Article also notes that Finnair operate 8 A330-300s, 6 A350's and will take deliver of 5 further A350's. Who says mixed ops cant work?

Tenger wrote: »
    Finnair introducing WiFi on its 30 A320 family aircraft from next year, going to be complete by 2018. (They already have Panaonic WiFi on their A330's)

I think AL have postponed A320 wifi indefinitely ?

Having used it many times on the A330 I can see why it's not currently a compelling product on short haul.

While it works reasonably well once connected, the login/buy process is a pain. Too many steps and slow. It's just not well thought out from a UI perspective. In business class the passwords are ridiculously long and complex, particularly on mobile.

You can only start the process above 10,000ft, assuming the CC remember to switch it on. Not a big deal on a 7 hour flight but if you're going to Paris why bother.

For short haul they should think about a way to buy access on the ground so it'll work immediately.

I've used it dozens of time in economy and business. Anecdotally, it seems to be used widely in business where they hand you an access card but in economy very few people seem to bother with it. I'd say most passengers don't even realise it's available as it's mentioned once in the pre-flight briefing and not pushed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Aer Lingus wifi is overpriced.

I like the Emirates approach - first 10MB is free, and the next 500MB costs just $1.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Locker10a wrote: »
    Lol I doubt that ! EI-EDS/P are still flying around with Iberia seats after 5/6 years in the fleet !!

EDS and EDP were factory fresh delivered to EI.
    The order was originally placed by the Comoros Govt. but not taken up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

ohigg84 wrote: »

EDS and EDP were factory fresh delivered to EI.
    The order was originally placed by the Comoros Govt. but not taken up.
    Thanks for the info I always wondered why they never changed the seats though, guess it was considered unnecessary as they were brand new

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

Thanks for the info I always wondered why they never changed the seats though, guess it was considered unnecessary as they were brand new

EI-EPT was ex Iberia, was in the fleet from 2013-2016, now flying for Vueling

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

billie1b wrote: »
    EI-EPT was ex Iberia, was in the fleet from 2013-2016, now flying for Vueling

Yep, so were EPR and EPS and EPU.
    I miss those 319s..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The mix of "Iberia" (or not, but same seat), Little Red and the fleet standard seats in what isn't a huge fleet does look a bit messy.

• Advertisement

Noxegon wrote: »
    Aer Lingus wifi is overpriced.

I like the Emirates approach - first 10MB is free, and the next 500MB costs just $1.
    Nice approach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement