Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I'd imagine because the IRFU livery has a bit more going on. If you think its bare looking then it stands to reason that you may think the new livery is also bare. Just my take on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I'd imagine because the IRFU livery has a bit more going on. If you think its bare looking then it stands to reason that you may think the new livery is also bare. Just my take on it

No, after some initial misgivings I've actually grown quite fond of the minimalist look of the new livery.
    I just think the IRFU livery now looks a bit bare since they've removed the images of the players. I think the current IRFU livery might be seen as a little confusing to some people who might not be familiar with the branding or Irish rugby. I think they could have removed the players but replaced the images with some more generic rugby images which would have had the same impact but without over personalising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

Why were the decals removed, is it to change the players on it or is the aircraft being painted?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭sherology

EI321 wrote: »
    Why were the decals removed, is it to change the players on it or is the aircraft being painted?

I second that question... Did they not 'stick' properly? Assume they're an expensive addition (very)... Decals and the effort to add them.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

EI-LRC Due in tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Nibs05 wrote: »
    EI-LRC Due in tonight

Descending over the Irish Sea now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

Nibs05 wrote: »
    EI-LRC Due in tonight

Crossing the Irish Sea now.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Is it true Aerlingus are looking at the Thomas cook A330s

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Karl8415

liiga wrote: »
    Is it true Aerlingus are looking at the Thomas cook A330s

At a guess I'd doubt it because Thomas Cook's 330's are all 200 series and EI are fazing their 200's out over next few years in place of all 300 models plus they don't have commonalitie when it comes to engines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I'd be surprised, the Thomas Cook fleet of A332s have an average of almost 16 years, they're also the completely wrong engine type.

If Aer Lingus want additional or replacement A330s, they'll get them fresh from Airbus or opt for younger second hand frames on competitive lease deals.

• Advertisement

Ok I just wonder was it true as I read it somewhere

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Karl8415 wrote: »
    At a guess I'd doubt it because Thomas Cook's 330's are all 200 series and EI are fazing their 200's out over next few years in place of all 300 models plus they don't have commonalitie when it comes to engines

cough *A330-800neo* cough

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Tenger wrote: »

If anything it would be -900neo I would imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

But what type of IFE will they have???? ;):confused::D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shamrockj wrote: »
    If anything it would be -900neo I would imagine?
    -800 would bridge the capacity gap from A321LR to A333. (168 vs 317)
    Allows them to tailor aircraft to demand on certain routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

They won't order the -800 for the same reason they're not ordering new -200s, the difference in operational cost is negligible, they only bought the -200s in the first place for range and now that we have the HGW -300s (or 900s if the time ever comes), it's not necessary.

The order books at Airbus tell you the exact same thing, there are 248 orders for the A330neo, only 10 are for the -800.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

-800 is dead I think

There is effectively zero difference in cost in flying the -200 vs -300 (same crew costs), -300 can carry more people and more volume of cargo. EI has moved to -300 all Summer on SFO and still hasn't enough capacity.

The only direct hit is the ATC charge on weight.

EI owns several of its -200's so will fly them until they cannot fly anymore and part them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

Here's a few pictures of business class (AerSpace) on the Aer Lingus A321neo from Dublin to LHR. The €150 fare was well worth it for the lie-flat seat. I wouldn't pay for it just for the normal blocked middle seat.
    The IFE selection was extremely limited, just a handful of Irish films/documentaries. The crew weren't proactive about the free food for AerSpace.

20191010-085436.jpg

20191010-082103.jpg

20191010-082138.jpg

20191010-082129.jpg

Annotation-2019-10-15-165224.jpg

'the crew weren't proactive about free food'... Do you mean they passed through as per usual euro-route, offering Bia, didn't charge, and kept going? Guess that's the dealio :)

Thanks for the info... Was it busy up front?

-800 is dead I think

There is effectively zero difference in cost in flying the -200 vs -300 (same crew costs), -300 can carry more people and more volume of cargo. EI has moved to -300 all Summer on SFO and still hasn't enough capacity.

The only direct hit is the ATC charge on weight.

EI owns several of its -200's so will fly them until they cannot fly anymore and part them out.

True. They'll use the -800 as the basis for a new MRTT, cargo etc. That said, a -900 based cargo derivative is being shopped to UPS/FedEx... Hence the 767-genx study going on right now at Boeing.

Anywho... The -800 is pretty much a -900, so doesn't cost AB much to have it 'developed and avIlAble' if a market appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

sherology wrote: »
    'the crew weren't proactive about free food'... Do you mean they passed through as per usual euro-route, offering Bia, didn't charge, and kept going? Guess that's the dealio :)

Yes pretty much. I appreciate it's not full business class but some people just had drinks and they didn't ask if they wanted anything else.
    sherology wrote: »
    Thanks for the info... Was it busy up front?

There were about 6 or 7 as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Cant see that happening . As they have said before all new orders will be -300 as the cost difference is minimal to operate and they can now fly the -300 to the west coast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

VG31 wrote: »
    Yes pretty much. I appreciate it's not full business class but some people just had drinks and they didn't ask if they wanted anything else.

But like you say it’s not business class and no catering is provided, it’s essentially a seat upgrade with benefits attached. The onus is on you to select what you want from the buy on board

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Some people won't eat at all.

I get comp breakfast at a major hotel chain, doesn't mean I go for the full spread, champagne, omelette etc every time

VG31 wrote: »
    Yes pretty much. I appreciate it's not full business class but some people just had drinks and they didn't ask if they wanted anything else.......
    Isnt AerSpace a drink and a snack? So not really much need to ask too many questions.
    And its a 45-50 minute flight so based on my time in EI, getting through the cabin quickly is a priority.

re -800neo. I understand the logic but part of me thinks it has its niche.
    Airbus claim it shares 99% commonality with the -900 so very little difference to develop or build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Is there any arguments for a dedicated cargo aircraft fleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

IAG Cargo already exists and there used to be a 747-8f operated by GSS which was painted in full BA livery.

These days, the current passenger fleet of the IAG airlines has enough cargo space in the belly to handle the current cargo needs and anything extra is just wet leased.

There is very large airlines that have a cargo arm let alone medium sized ones. EI as a small carrier and that is what it is has zero reason to have one.

One of the main 'underfloor' benefits of the a330 are their large (and containerised) bellies... Similar for a320 series (excluding the LR, but including the XLR). Couple that with a lot of modern travelers taking only carry-on (encouraged by expensive bag fees), and you get a lot of belly space for no additional 'dedicated/single-fucntion' outlay.

A lot of expensive cargo airframes with Qatar/ethiad etc. were parked during recent recession's, and freighter sales are generally pretty low, likely for the reasons given. A lot of upfront money for a very uncertain/unpredictable market.

Sweating (or maximizing) assets and being risk adverse isn't a bad thing :)

• Advertisement

Is A321neo reg EI-LRD still coming this year
    Or is it held back for 2020

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement