Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

LHR first, then CDG

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭knockon

LAX is only flying as EI own her. Needs major structural work this winter thats the decision point, she got whacked a few times in recent years by ground equipment so no fault of the folks in Hanger 6 or Bordeaux. If it wasn't for that she would go on forever really as LAX despite age is incredibly reliable. Internally she is in pretty good condition, was refreshed last year and has the mode lighting. The WiFi has been broken for some time and no hurry to fix.

The 2 new A330-300's will be long haul fitted so that means they have 4 long haul -300's so can cover SEA/SFO/LAX

Word is SFO will go to 10 per week

I did LAX on LAX last year. My young lad saw one of the cabin crew “disappear” into a closet behind the lav’s. We were sitting around 21h an k I think. Crew Rest pod?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭knockon

LAX is only flying as EI own her. Needs major structural work this winter thats the decision point, she got whacked a few times in recent years by ground equipment so no fault of the folks in Hanger 6 or Bordeaux. If it wasn't for that she would go on forever really as LAX despite age is incredibly reliable. Internally she is in pretty good condition, was refreshed last year and has the mode lighting. The WiFi has been broken for some time and no hurry to fix.

The 2 new A330-300's will be long haul fitted so that means they have 4 long haul -300's so can cover SEA/SFO/LAX

Word is SFO will go to 10 per week

I did LAX on LAX last year. My young lad saw one of the cabin crew “disappear” into a closet behind the lav’s. We were sitting around 21h an k I think. Crew Rest pod?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

dfx- wrote: »
    Having had my first experience of the Lufthansa A320neo yesterday and its minimal seat pitch, is it expected that the likely replacements for the EI A320 fleet will be them?

Hopefully not..

If you think LH is bad you should see what BA's new A32Xneo's are like. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Advertisement

Thats the LDMCR

Its a special pod which is loaded through the cargo door which joins up with the access door between the two economy sections just ahead of the 3L/3R doors

LAX/DUO/DAA/GCF/GAJ are fitted, the pod only needs to be carried for SEA/SFO/LAX so can be removed to save weight or increase cargo capacity if used on other routes, but effectively is stays in place permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Airline CEO complains about airframers and airports. Two of their biggest cost centres. Where have we heard this before...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Shamrockj wrote: »

Sounds like next year and explains why we haven't heard about any new routes for Summer 2020. I was under the impression it was Aer Lingus playing it safe considering the potential economic impact of Brexit but Walsh's comments suggest the blame is fully with delays from Airbus. 

Aer Lingus is/was expected to take delivery of four A321LR this year and four next year, some or all would have been delivered in time for next summer but it sounds like that won't be the case and Aer Lingus is having to stall transatlantic expansion plans as Airbus can't provide a solid time frame. 

I think Walsh's comments on Airbus not appreciating how important this is to an airline like Aer Lingus is very telling. Airbus' social media is full of photos and videos of airlines celebrating new deliveries, nothing for Aer Lingus though.

Sounds like next year and explains why we haven't heard about any new routes for Summer 2020. I was under the impression it was Aer Lingus playing it safe considering the potential economic impact of Brexit but Walsh's comments suggest the blame is fully with delays from Airbus. 

Aer Lingus is/was expected to take delivery of four A321LR this year and four next year, some or all would have been delivered in time for next summer but it sounds like that won't be the case and Aer Lingus is having to stall transatlantic expansion plans as Airbus can't provide a solid time frame. 

I think Walsh's comments on Airbus not appreciating how important this is to an airline like Aer Lingus is very telling. Airbus' social media is full of photos and videos of airlines celebrating new deliveries, nothing for Aer Lingus though.

I am not convinced there will be nothing for 2020, possibly scaled down plus the A330 were not part of the plan for 2020 at first and nothing official about existing leaving.

Assuming they get 5 of 8 by summer 2020, they still have a lot of capacity. It looks like there is some speculation from the Indo with Walsh giving away nothing substantial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I am not convinced there will be nothing for 2020, possibly scaled down plus the A330 were not part of the plan for 2020 at first and nothing official about existing leaving.

Assuming they get 5 of 8 by summer 2020, they still have a lot of capacity. It looks like there is some speculation from the Indo with Walsh giving away nothing substantial.
    5 of 8 by summer 2020 will only be equal to this year’s requirements if they retire the 757s. This summer operated on a reduced schedule till the first A321LR came online. Two new A330-300s will only be marginal capacity growth if they’re used to replace -LAX and -EWR.

5 of 8 by summer 2020 will only be equal to this year’s requirements if they retire the 757s. This summer operated on a reduced schedule till the first A321LR came online. Two new A330-300s will only be marginal capacity growth if they’re used to replace -LAX and -EWR.

I don't see them replacing two A330-300 possibly one but EWR is probally on a lease term longer than 5 years.

I don't see any A330 leaving for now. The plan was 2 more A330 by 2020 and 2 more in 2022 with one of the -200 leaving then
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/simpleflying.com/iberia-a350-transfer/amp/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

I'd say EWR will be gone early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Willie Walsh unhappy with Airbus over delivery delays and forced postponement of new Aer Lingus Transatlantic routes:

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/airbus-delivery-delay-scuppers-expansion-of-aer-lingus-routes-38583410.html

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Willie Walsh unhappy with Airbus over delivery delays and forced postponement of new Aer Lingus Transatlantic routes:

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/airbus-delivery-delay-scuppers-expansion-of-aer-lingus-routes-38583410.html

If the neos for next year are delayed I dont understand why they dont just keep the 757s for longer and use them plus the current neos for next years expansion and replace them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Shamrockj wrote: »
    If the neos for next year are delayed I dont understand why they dont just keep the 757s for longer and use them plus the current neos for next years expansion and replace them later.

I read the 3 P&W 757s at least are down for freighter conversion. Maybe ASL can’t delay delivery to the new customer without serious penalties, or maybe ASL are the freighter operator and EI don’t want to pay compensation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

In addition if EI approach ASL about extending the lease then ASK know they have them over a barrel and can charge premium pricing.

That article has WW repating a porkie. ".....allow the airport to increase charges, at a time when everything says...that the charges should come down"
    I thought the DAA wanted charges to remain as they are?

Regarding the now usual September route announcement, perhaps its delayed to to the A321LR delays. They are taking time to reassess their options?

They will have 3 LR's by November, LRC had its test flight, so next is a customer acceptance flight assuming all well and delivery to Dublin. No sign of LRD but is its 9187 (LRD) vs 8965 (LRC) vs 8909 (LRB) so it will be a while before it appears.

The A330 is due in November also, and if the plan is to keep LAX & EWR in 2020 thats +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Was on LRA today from Heathrow. Felt very tight for space. I would not book this for trans Atlantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Was on LRA today from Heathrow. Felt very tight for space. I would not book this for trans Atlantic.

They have the same pitch as the 330, 320 and older 321's and an extra inch in width. Plus newer IFE and cabin, faster boarding and disembarkation. I'd have no problem flying it transatlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Could the same or similar seat pitch but when coupled with it being a narrow body, single aisle aircraft with a lower ceiling there is more of a cramped feeling to the whole experience...I’ve always liked the A321 as an aircraft but I have to say I wouldn’t enjoy being on one for six hours...it would feel very cramped very quickly...I can imagine too lots of people getting up, stretching their legs, going to talk to friends who are sat elsewhere as happens on ALL transatlantic flights...this on a narrow body single aisle aircraft is no good and will add to the cramped feeling..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

sully2010 wrote: »
    They have the same pitch as the 330, 320 and older 321's and an extra inch in width. Plus newer IFE and cabin, faster boarding and disembarkation. I'd have no problem flying it transatlantic.

The arm rest is like a little blade compared to the a330. I’m guessing that’s where the “extra inch” is from. The seat is also thinner and firmer without giving you any more leg room.

Don’t think boarding and disembarking is faster on a single aisle with limited overhead space. The a330 boards 4 seats per aisle with no shortage of bins. The door isn’t the pinch point, it’s people faffing with the bins.

Also the single set of toilets at the rear for such a long economy section must create some issues on trans Atlantic. At least there was space inside them unlike in the 737 Max.

Two of the crew were talking shop about the workload on the aircraft. A bit unprofessional and they seemed a little gruff and cranky in general. I’d just come off long haul BA so maybe I was a bit more conscious of it as their crew and service are noticeably polished.

One other noticeable thing is how quiet it is on takeoff. No engine roar even when seated behind the engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

I flew the 757 and 737max transatlantic and found it completely fine. With the larger cabin on the 321, even better. Slept better as there were less people/cabin crew and noise than on the bigger birds and prefered the faster on and offboarding. I thought I would hate it but I never felt cramped and I preferred it to a 777 or air Transat 3-3-3 seating.
    Strumms wrote: »
    Could the same or similar seat pitch but when coupled with it being a narrow body, single aisle aircraft with a lower ceiling there is more of a cramped feeling to the whole experience...I’ve always liked the A321 as an aircraft but I have to say I wouldn’t enjoy being on one for six hours...it would feel very cramped very quickly...I can imagine too lots of people getting up, stretching their legs, going to talk to friends who are sat elsewhere as happens on ALL transatlantic flights...this on a narrow body single aisle aircraft is no good and will add to the cramped feeling..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Looks like EI-DEI 'Green Spirit' has had its player decals removed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Looks like EI-DEI 'Green Spirit' has had its player decals removed again.

It looked much better with them off tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Looks a bit bare if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

Looks a bit bare if you ask me.

You must Hate the new colour scheme so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

adam88 wrote: »
    You must Hate the new colour scheme so

Out of interest, how did you arrive at that conclusion from a one line reply to a post about the aircraft with the IRFU livery...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement