Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Next A330 is due sometime in November isn't it? 

No sign of new transatlantic routes, not ever a whisper. Could the increased risk of a no deal Brexit and its impact on our own economy be playing a part?

Not only no new routes, rumoured that YUL won’t start next summer, so minus routes!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

A321neo off to London Heathrow TOMMORROW morning at 8:30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Not the worst price if you wanted to try out Business (I'm assuming Aerspace on an A321LR will equate to a Business seat?)
    The regular fare is around €75 and with 10hrs notice €114 is the standard fare for the same journey
    Its a no brainer at that difference.

a8e3950c200f9d2a00a6cc3fa1e6d15a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

I'm planning on trying it out myself soon. €150 isn't too bad considering it's a proper business class seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

VG31 wrote: »
    I'm planning on trying it out myself soon. €150 isn't too bad considering it's a proper business class seat.

Until they switch it for “operational” reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

While a nice idea, it'll never happen for a variety or reasons, not least among them that PE seats wouldn't fit in a 3-2 config. American use an identical seat for PE and Domestic First, 2-3-2 or 2-4-2 on wide bodies (A330/787 and 777, respectively), and 2-2 on all narrowbody aircraft.

All AerSpace ever will be is a blocked middle seat same as literally every other premium Euro airline does. The only development that'll happen is a divider and changeable cabin size.

AA definitely have different seats in first vs PE across the fleet, maybe they're in the process of standardizing the short haul fleet to 787/A330 PE seats (which indeed are identical) but the usual short haul first seat is superior to PE in terms of size & comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

The short crosswind runway 16/34 is being used in Dublin today and its soaking wet.

I wonder how EI will get on with the A321neoLR off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

EI321 wrote: »
    The short crosswind runway 16/34 is being used in Dublin today and its soaking wet.

I wonder how EI will get on with the A321neoLR off it.

Its a 27kt wind from the north with a xwind component of about 14kt so it wont have an issue. The issues with a wet runway were when a tailwind was present on 10/28.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The LR issue is not a issue with 10/28 under normal conditions

You take off into the wind, however the setup in Dublin allows a tailwind, basically they don't want to change runways if they can avoid it so allow a small tailwind.

So you are 5-10 knots down instead of 5-10 knots up so it really hurts the LR as 10/28 is just long enough, add some rain in and you are in trouble as the stopping distance at reject goes up. This is where the 757 had an advantage, its got bogie landing gear, more rubber, more grip, more stopping power.

For EU ops there is no issue at all as the fuel load will be tiny compared to a TATL run.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

cson wrote: »
    AA definitely have different seats in first vs PE across the fleet, maybe they're in the process of standardizing the short haul fleet to 787/A330 PE seats (which indeed are identical) but the usual short haul first seat is superior to PE in terms of size & comfort.

Out of the 23 narrow body mainline AA flights I've had in the last 18 months, only 3 didn't have the new seats, make of that what you will. This is all somewhat irrelevant to the topic at hand, if EI are to install Premium Economy it will be with a current and modern PE product, akin to what AA have now and going forward, which is the point I was making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Just looking at DUB - YYZ for 2nd of Jan, since when is a 757 used on this route? Haven't been on one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doylers wrote: »
    Just looking at DUB - YYZ for 2nd of Jan, since when is a 757 used on this route? Haven't been on one before.

The route was introduced with the 757. Believe it has some 330 rotations but the basic answer is "forever"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

L1011 wrote: »
    The route was introduced with the 757. Believe it has some 330 rotations but the basic answer is "forever"

Never been on one in all my time flying back and forth. What are they like vs the 330 offering

Doylers wrote: »
    Never been on one in all my time flying back and forth. What are they like vs the 330 offering

Old and falling apart down the back, standard EI business product up front ('throne' seats are nice if you can snag one).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

cson wrote: »
    Old and falling apart down the back, standard EI business product up front ('throne' seats are nice if you can snag one).

Well no serious business are going to invest in a hard product that will be retired within a year. While I’ve not been on the 757s for a couple of years now, and they may feel worn out, commercially i understand why they may not give the TLC (€€€) you night expect as they’ll soon be gone, same reason I’ll not replace the rather poor battery on my iPhone, it’s on contract and will be replaced in a few months, why spend money on something you won’t get the benefit out of !

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Locker10a wrote: »
    Well no serious business are going to invest in a hard product that will be retired within a year. While I’ve not been on the 757s for a couple of years now, and they may feel worn out, commercially i understand why they may not give the TLC (€€€) you night expect as they’ll soon be gone, same reason I’ll not replace the rather poor battery on my iPhone, it’s on contract and will be replaced in a few months, why spend money on something you won’t get the benefit out of !

They’re not actually that bad, I’ve been on them 4 times. The overhead bins aren’t as big as on the A320s, they don’t have WiFi, and the interior panels have a bit of yellowing, but the IFE is the same as the A330s, the seats in economy are plenty comfortable, they’re fine.

I personally prefer the smaller cabin, I find it to be generally quieter in terms of cabin noise, I’m looking forward to trying the A321LR for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

adam88 wrote: »

Article date February 2017

Locker10a wrote: »

I didn't say they should, merely stated the pretty well accepted fact that Y class in 757s is not in good shape across the fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Travelled in AerSpace on the 154 to LHR this morning. Had seat 5A.

Very impressed, wish they had the NEOs operating every LHR rotation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Travelled in AerSpace on the 154 to LHR this morning. Had seat 5A.

Very impressed, wish they had the NEOs operating every LHR rotation.

Good to hear, the NEO product operating on LHR's is a welcome thing and definitely best product between IRL and LON (if not the best cabin on offer intra-EU).

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Good to hear, the NEO product operating on LHR's is a welcome thing and definitely best product between IRL and LON (if not the best cabin on offer intra-EU).

Yeah it was good. Even had IFE with some of the usual tv offerings and some Irish movies. Between taxi and flight time, was over 2 hours, so most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭sherology

Yeah it was good. Even had IFE with some of the usual tv offerings and some Irish movies. Between taxi and flight time, was over 2 hours, so most welcome.

How was the included food/drink offering handled/explained? Any limits applied or just... "What would you like"? How many seats filled?

sherology wrote: »
    How was the included food/drink offering handled/explained? Any limits applied or just... "What would you like"? How many seats filled?

Your entitled to a complimentary beverage hot or cold as well as any food item from the BIA menu. It's revenue product at the end of the day and as such has to be accounted for.

Today's EI155 returned with 11 in AerSpace classed as J out of 16 seats available versus the 4 available per A320. Announcement due soon regarding extension of AerSpace seats on A320's on set routes.

155 is a special case as it is the prime connecting flight into the afternoon wave of TATL departures. So few if any paid for AerSpace, they got it by virtue of holding a J ticket.

There is also the capacity issue as its 8 fewer Y seats on the 321Neo vs 320 so on full flights the need to upgrade may occur until EI gets its seat maps and timetable in sync.

Aerspace on the NEO is worth the money, it is not on a A320

Your entitled to a complimentary beverage hot or cold as well as any food item from the BIA menu. It's revenue product at the end of the day and as such has to be accounted for.

Today's EI155 returned with 11 in AerSpace classed as J out of 16 seats available versus the 4 available per A320. Announcement due soon regarding extension of AerSpace seats on A320's on set routes.

Thanks for that. Was curious as to how they do the 'accounting/tracking' of 'free' items, and how gouging 'raid the larder' issues/requestswould be dealt with (without crew having to get 'firm' about limits and/or passengers getting snarky about 'entitlements').

Good #'s and a boone for the transfer folk's.

155 is a special case as it is the prime connecting flight into the afternoon wave of TATL departures. So few if any paid for AerSpace, they got it by virtue of holding a J ticket.

There is also the capacity issue as its 8 fewer Y seats on the 321Neo vs 320 so on full flights the need to upgrade may occur until EI gets its seat maps and timetable in sync.

Got it 😉

Priced well, AerSpace, as a more flexible/expandable cabin on the a320 (as you're suggesting is soon to be announced) would wrap up all those priority type upgrades, with some additional benefits, and I think it will be successful for those who already pay extra for upfront seats, and like a bit of extra comfort and the many who are willing to pay a bit more.

Announcement due soon regarding extension of AerSpace seats on A320's on set routes.

Assume they'll just copy BA with the moveable curtain and move as demand dictates.

I mean obviously - you're comparing a genuine long haul business class lie flat hard product to a short haul economy seat :pac:

You get wifi too...

• Advertisement

Just to point out the A321LR holds Y168 - so there's a difference of 6 seats in eco versus the 320.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement