Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that inexplicably turn you against someone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Over-dramatic, attention-seeking, people. The type that speaks loudly all the time and doesn't possess an 'indoor' voice

People who profess an 'ironic' love for acts like Abba and Take That (often students). They were pish then, they remain pish and you aren't cool for liking them. Just deeply dull and unimaginative

Men who turn up the collars of polo and rugby shirts. Usually accompanied with cream chinos for the smug-weekend-moneyed-twat-but-no-dress-sense 'look'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Skinny Jeans. I saw a bloke last week who's skinny jeans were so tight that A) I could quite clearly make out his penis and B) he wasn't walking so much as he was waddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Over-dramatic, attention-seeking, people. The type that speaks loudly all the time and doesn't possess an 'indoor' voice

People who profess an 'ironic' love for acts like Abba and Take That (often students). They were pish then, they remain pish and you aren't cool for liking them. Just deeply dull and unimaginative

Men who turn up the collars of polo and rugby shirts. Usually accompanied with cream chinos for the smug-weekend-moneyed-twat-but-no-dress-sense 'look'

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

People who fall to acknowledge the genius of ABBA.

Edit and I mean un-ironic genius

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

People who sprinkle salt all over their food without tasting it first.

People who use their knife to shovel food into their mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

All of the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Another call for the hipster hordes with the Hitler Youth haircuts, 'wacky' specs and the top button done up. Doing their tippy-tappy Apple Mac thing whilst sipping a coffee. Which, of course, HAS to be a £4 Flat White.

It's sheep were up against. Just GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Use of selfie sticks. Hate inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Use of selfie sticks. Hate inspiring.

People who take selfies with or without a stick is a bugbearer of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

People that have a path worn to your door when they need a favour or support. Or their computer fixed, need a loan etc etc

When things are going well, they're nowhere to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

people who come onto beaches packed with small children in the summer with their fvckin dogs

"ah sure he wouldnt touch anyone" "he's harmless"

d!ckheads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

waffleman wrote: »
    people who come onto beaches packed with small children in the summer with their fvckin dogs

"ah sure he wouldnt touch anyone" "he's harmless"

d!ckheads

Then they get upset when you're forced to drive the dog off with a piece of driftwood! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

People that abbreviate my name after just meeting me and people that copy Geordie Shore.

Oh, and people that say OMG, LOL, WTF, bae and so on so forth..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Out of curiousity, why would that put you against someone? There's a lot of shops where you're expected to haggle

Your general petrol station or SuperValu, just a waste of everyone's time, wrecks my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Frog Song wrote: »
    People that say they don't like dogs. I don't mind if someone is scared of them because they've been bitten or frightened by them but when someone says they don't like dogs for no real reason it puts me off them instantly.

I am scared of dogs and I actually hate when people who have them say 'oh don't worry he wont hurt you'

im like 'yea tell that to my cousin who has a scar because one latched onto her face'. Why cant they just move the dog to another room or out the back instead its like I just have to sit there in fear.

I actually like dogs and think they are lovely animals but I have this fear since I was child, I think my parents gave it to me.

Something that would turn me off someone would probably be stinginess aswell as a few posters have said. I know people who strategically place themselves when getting a round in. For example they will be the last to get a round in the group which means they will only get one round but others will get two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Overweight people who claim it's glandular or other such nonsense - only a very very small percentage of obesity problems are down to those factors. You're overweight because your diet is poor, you have a sedentary lifestyle and you use food like an alcoholic abuses alcohol. No, I'm not fat shaming you, but yes I am judging you for not taking responsibility.

As an aside, I'm guilty of a few things on this thread. I'd imagine everyone who has posted falls afoul of someone else's peeves.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Overweight people who claim it's glandular or other such nonsense - .

Serious question, how many people do you know who blame their excess weight on 'glandular' issues or other such nonsense? Second serious question what does it add to your life/ego to be so judgmental of those with weight issues?

Serious question, how many people do you know who blame their excess weight on 'glandular' issues or other such nonsense? Second serious question what does it add to your life/ego to be so judgmental of those with weight issues?

A person close to me when talking about their weight problem once said in seriousness 'I think it's glandular', without doctors diagnosing him. The fact that this person's version of exercise was walking to the fridge we can only suspect be coincidental. He also happened to be completely unreliable in other aspects of his life and frequently performed daring feats of mental gymnastics as to who was to blame for him owing money to people, him getting fired from his job and why people kept on dropping out of his life.

It doesn't really bother me if a person is overweight, it doesn't affect my day when I see overweight people. But I do think better of them when they admit they have a health problem and say 'hey, I've got to get this under control'. I reserve the right to judge them as flakes and irresponsible with their own health if they come up with a BS diagnosis for themselves as an excuse to not change their lives for the better. That's a strong indicator (among others) the person isn't reliable to be around.

I can tell you won't like that explanation, but again that doesn't bother me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

I'm big boned!

Yeah yer arse bone's feckin' huge...! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

WAL1992 wrote: »
    Men who shave the sides of their head but have their hair tied up at the back. Sheep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

It doesn't really bother me if a person is overweight, it doesn't affect my day when I see overweight people. But I do think better of them when they admit they have a health problem and say 'hey, I've got to get this under control'. I reserve the right to judge them as flakes and irresponsible with their own health if they come up with a BS diagnosis for themselves as an excuse to not change their lives for the better. That's a strong indicator (among others) the person isn't reliable to be around.

I can tell you won't like that explanation, but again that doesn't bother me either.

I made the thread for things that piss us off that we can't really explain or justify, so I'm not calling your opinion out at all.

However, I don't like this assumption that all overweight people are unhealthy or live sedentary lifestyles. They simply take in more calories than they burn, leaving a surplus leading to the gain of fat. I know some fat people that can lift a ****load in the weight room and have good cardio for contact sports. Conversely, I know some people who look healthy but get out of breath taking stairs.

Conor McGregor has a lot to answer for. In fact I'm seeing a lot of Hitler youth haired fellas with waistcoat and dickie-bow combos on nights out lately. A most perturbing sartorial trend.

RWCNT wrote: »
    I made the thread for things that piss us off that we can't really explain or justify, so I'm not calling your opinion out at all.

However, I don't like this assumption that all overweight people are unhealthy or live sedentary lifestyles. They simply take in more calories than they burn, leaving a surplus leading to the gain of fat. I know some fat people that can lift a ****load in the weight room and have good cardio for contact sports. Conversely, I know some people who look healthy but get out of breath taking stairs.

This is true and I'm in agreement, there are many athletes we could name that appear portly but are in fact in fine shape in reality . I was more talking about people, from my experience that hold weight that is affecting their quality of life and are in complete denial that they're destroying their health through their lifestyle. It's frustrating being friends and caring about about someone like that, and slowly coming to the realization that such carelessness an denial is spilling into other aspects of their life, excuses will be concocted and all sorts of crap behaviour can be rationalized away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I'm big boned!

I'm just a little short for the BMI chart :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

People who read their horoscope and actually believe that guff!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vlad Dog Putin

Fat people in the west break all laws of physics, they have magic in body must be answer.
    They say "i eat same as school child, only small food but my body is big fat like yak."
    It is the same as alchemy, turn lead to gold, the fat people turn air and water to fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

People who bore me silly guffing on about Ireland's international and club rugby teams, particularly those who discovered the joys of rugby within the last five years and now consider themselves expert on the game.

Here are some important numbers -
    2- the number of flying sh1tes I could't give about Jamie Heaslip's back.
    5 - the approximate duration, in years, of Brian O'Driscoll's retirement.

A person close to me when talking about their weight problem once said in seriousness 'I think it's glandular',

Ah so we are beginning with anecdotes. I once met a skinny person who vomited to stay that way. Is it okay that I know judge all skinny people based on that persons behaviour?
    The fact that this person's version of exercise was walking to the fridge we can only suspect be coincidental. He also happened to be completely unreliable in other aspects of his life and frequently performed daring feats of mental gymnastics as to who was to blame for him owing money to people, him getting fired from his job and why people kept on dropping out of his life.

I mean... I don't even know where to begin. If you replaced 'this person' with 'my black friend' would you feel as free to generalise as you did above? I mean Mary Harney was an extremely obese person, based on your logic I'd be okay to assume all my fat friends were going to end up in politics. So you are a savant who can see past the fatness in people's life to the true nature of their personalities, which as you have adduced is complete degeneracy. FFS, as if fat people weren't in every level of profession and power. Do you realise what you sound like? Wake up.

It doesn't really bother me if a person is overweight, it doesn't affect my day when I see overweight people.

Obviously it does. Obviously.
    But I do think better of them when they admit they have a health problem and say 'hey, I've got to get this under control'.

And what do you, in your privialged position of judgement think of them when despite their best efforts they fall of the wagon and fail to meet your standard of behaviour?
    I reserve the right to judge them as flakes and irresponsible with their own health if they come up with a BS diagnosis for themselves as an excuse to not change their lives for the better. That's a strong indicator (among others) the person isn't reliable to be around.

Just as I reserve the right to think you are someone preaching to others about how they ought to feel and behave in a situation where you have no basis to do so. And if I am wrong who gives a **** because you told me I have the right to reserve?

Did your prejudice deduce that I was a fatty too? What else did it tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

People who use textspeak.

People who use the word "like" incorrectly. For example, as a verbal crutch (I was going to, like, the shop, and then.....). Even more annoying is using the phrase "I was like" as indirect speech. "I said that I would be there" is a valid sentence. "I was like "I'll be there"" makes me certain that you are a moron. Unfortunately, just about everyone under the age of 40 does this.

Fake tan

For some reason, nail polish/varnish annoys me. Don't know why.

Striped shirts

People who have no interest whatsoever in sport. There are plenty of sports out there. Surely there has to be one?

People who go along with fads just for the sake of it: The 50 shades of Gray film has been panned by the critics. You know that it is going to be terrible. Why do you want to see it? Because other stupid people do?

Sandal wearers

Bad breath

Buzzwords. I know someone who uses the phrase "touching base" incessantly. Beyond irritating.

People (generally women) who scream really loudly for no apparent reason to demonstrate how much "fun" they are having on a night out. Never understood this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Milly33 wrote: »
    Those young fellas who walk around with their hands down their pants scratching or tugging, don't know what they are doing or some put their hand in their trackers pockets and do it. Im like wtf mingers

That's where they keep their lunch. Cut them some slack

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement