Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ed Sheeran - Croke Park - July 24th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

This will sell out in a flash.
    I'm not a fan either, but he's the 'hottest property' in pop here right now.
    Also, there's going to be a % of the attendance that will be there under duress (to act as 'guardians') due to some of the age group, so demand would be higher than normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

leahyl wrote: »
    Why do people think that just because he's a solo act with a guitar that he couldn't possibly perform well in a stadium?

I went to Michael Buble (again, I know not everyone's cup of tea) in the Aviva a few years back and he was bloody brilliant, and people were saying the same thing about him at the time also - he'd be much better in a more intimate venue etc etc.

Give the guy a chance! I'd say he'll put on a great show!

I suppose the main reason people question Ed Sheeran and large venue's is due to the fact that it's just him and a guitar. Michael Buble did have a rather large band and a number of backing singers at the Aviva which leads to an overall larger stage show.

I was at Glastonbury last year and saw Ed Sheeran play the Pyramid Stage on the Sunday evening. At a guess there was somewhere in the region of 80,000-90,000 at the stage at the time (plus a live TV audience on BBC) and he had the place going for the full duration of his set.

If he mastered Glastonbury then Croke Park won't pose any difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I suppose the main reason people question Ed Sheeran and large venue's is due to the fact that it's just him and a guitar. Michael Buble did have a rather large band and a number of backing singers at the Aviva which leads to an overall larger stage show.

I was at Glastonbury last year and saw Ed Sheeran play the Pyramid Stage on the Sunday evening. At a guess there was somewhere in the region of 80,000-90,000 at the stage at the time (plus a live TV audience on BBC) and he had the place going for the full duration of his set.

If he mastered Glastonbury then Croke Park won't pose any difficulties.

Surely he'll have a band also accompanying him? Anyway, like you said he had the crowd in the palm of his hand at Glastonbury and I'm sure it'll be the same for Croke Park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

leahyl wrote: »
    Surely he'll have a band also accompanying him? Anyway, like you said he had the crowd in the palm of his hand at Glastonbury and I'm sure it'll be the same for Croke Park :)

Pretty sure it'll just be him on stage. He doesn't tour with a live band. Even at Glastonbury, it was just him, his guitar and his loop pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pretty sure it'll just be him on stage. He doesn't tour with a live band. Even at Glastonbury, it was just him, his guitar and his loop pedal.

Ok cool! That's fine by me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Will there be ID needed for this gig to stop the touts? I've been asked to get tickets for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Will there be ID needed for this gig to stop the touts? I've been asked to get tickets for someone else.

There was no ID for the One Direction gigs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i was hoping for ACDC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

Anyone know what price standing will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

DoctorDre wrote: »
    Anyone know what price standing will be?

Read the damn thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

Read the damn thread!

I have and only seen between €69 and €80, hence me asking which price is standing. Have a lovely day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

ricero wrote: »

Lololol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ricero wrote: »

They're playing the Aviva.. You know that ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

Anyone know whats the story with the Fan Club pre sale? Is that the mailing list on his website or is there some other club?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Are people seriously questioning his stage presence? he has the crowd bouncing throughout the whole gig, he really knows how involve the crowd. Saw him at the 3 Arena last year and he was fantastic. And as somebody already said, he had the place going mental last summer at Glastonbury, he'll have no problem in Croke Park, wouldn't be surprised if there was an additional date or two either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

All he needs really, I thought this was cool, about the only one of his songs I like. Much more authentic than using a backing track imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I am a massive fan, but defo won't be able to afford 80 euro for a ticket next week, such a balls :/

I wouldn't be so sure that this will sell out quickly though - tickets for the 3Arena gigs were still available not long before hand anyway. Although, the fact that the gig is in the summer, and thus lots of summer gig daytrippers, might make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He's a decent singer with a very good natural voice. His songwriting has gotten worse and worse though, not that he was ever a genius or anything, but it's like paint by numbers lyrics now. It's actually a pity really because I think he has more creative type songs in him than he's shown since he's got bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bren2001

Are people seriously questioning his stage presence? he has the crowd bouncing throughout the whole gig, he really knows how involve the crowd. Saw him at the 3 Arena last year and he was fantastic. And as somebody already said, he had the place going mental last summer at Glastonbury, he'll have no problem in Croke Park, wouldn't be surprised if there was an additional date or two either.

Easy to say he got the crowd bouncing at Glastonbury, were you there? I've seen him 3 times. V festival twice and in the o2 last year (not the 3 Arena :mad:). He was brilliant at V the first time, headlined the tent, very good in the o2 but his performance didnt cross over to the main stage at V the other time. In fact, I thought he was poor then. His songs don't resonate in stadiums (well mains stages) the same as Arenas.

I am still on the fence as to whether I will get a ticket. 80e is alot for this gig. Fully expect a second gig to be announced for the Saturday. Why else have it on the Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

bren2001 wrote: »
    I am still on the fence as to whether I will get a ticket. 80e is alot for this gig. Fully expect a second gig to be announced for the Saturday. Why else have it on the Friday?

I second this, there will have to be a crazy ass support act to justify this price, I mean Ed is a pretty big act but 80 is defiantly pushing it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

I really didn't expect Ed Sheeran at all with his full schedule up until his Wembley gigs. Croke was free the week after on the 17th, 18th and 19th of July but I think they would be pushing it for time with taking down his stage in Wembley and shipping it over and setting it up here.

And then there's a match on July 25th in Croke Park. Guess that's out of the question.

Que my lover boy to follow and post after me and tell me how bitter I am (hynesie08).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DC10555 wrote: »
    I second this, there will have to be a crazy ass support act to justify this price, I mean Ed is a pretty big act but 80 is defiantly pushing it.

Not at all, Ed Sheeran will sell out Croke Park in minutes without even a mention of a support act. The demand is huge for him at the moment, he's striking while he's red hot at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Corholio wrote: »
    He's a decent singer with a very good natural voice.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Rumours that the support will be Gavin James but no idea how true that is. I do think a second date will be announced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bren2001

I really didn't expect Ed Sheeran at all with his full schedule up until his Wembley gigs. Croke was free the week after on the 17th, 18th and 19th of July but I think they would be pushing it for time with taking down his stage in Wembley and shipping it over and setting it up here.

And then there's a match on July 25th in Croke Park. Guess that's out of the question.

Que my lover boy to follow and post after me and tell me how bitter I am (hynesie08).

No way will there be a match on the Sunday. The back door qualifiers will have to be held outside of Croke Park. Cannot see how they get the stage disassembled and out in time for Sunday morning. It is very odd scheduling from the GAA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Muir wrote: »
    Rumours that the support will be Gavin James but no idea how true that is. I do think a second date will be announced though.

Have no idea who Gavin James is but I just googled him. That has to be a joke. A red head supporting another red head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Muir wrote: »

If it is they probably won't announce it till after his olympia gig, or if/when it sells out. Definitely fits in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'd be very surprised if there's a 2nd date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

i'd be very surprised if there's a 2nd date.

If he sells straight away imagine there wil be..

Would he sell 2 dates is a different story..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

To be fair to him, he's not wrong about you

Advertisement