Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2015 **MOD warning in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

rrpc wrote: »
    Should you not get some credit for putting your ball within three inches of the hole? ;)

not if you started with a 12 inch putt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

was the sub air system on any day during the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

rrpc wrote: »
    Where he beat the field consistently and well was his GIR

Day|Spieth|McIlroy|Field
    Thurs|83%|67%|63%
    Fri|72%|56%|62%
    Sat|78%|78%|66%
    Sun|67%|94%|61%

Those GIR stats for McIlory on Sunday are unreal, he only missed 1 green for the whole round. If the putter was a bit hotter he probably could have been 3 or 4 shots better than he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

They really need to have Protracer at the Masters.

The drive, chip, putt initiative is all well and good but kids watching the TV and going "Cool!" has the potential to inspire also.

One of the reasons I play now, was watching the '96 Masters and Faldo hitting his approach to the 13th. He creamed a 2 iron and the ball's flight was caught all the way.

That was my "Cool!" moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

valoren wrote: »
    They really need to have Protracer at the Masters.

The drive, chip, putt initiative is all well and good but kids watching the TV and going "Cool!" has the potential to inspire also.

They did have it... just didn't use it as often as you might see at other tournaments. Would definitely like to see more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Yeah I think Sky had it at the 10th and 18th. BBC didn't have it. I imagine it must be expensive, because if it isn't they should have it at every hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I'm almost sure I remember seeing it on the 13th tee, I was flicking between Sky and BBC and cant remember which.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Protracer is the bomb, end of, always used to think there was funny camera angles when you'd see the ball fly off to the right when someone is drawing, then protracer told you it was flying off to the right.....but coming back.
    The high draw has to be the sexiest shot in golf...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Yeah I think Sky had it at the 10th and 18th. BBC didn't have it. I imagine it must be expensive, because if it isn't they should have it at every hole.

I'm pretty sure the BBC did have it, they were all using the same footage.

Watched it on the BBC only. Didn't know Sky had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Watched it on the BBC only. Didn't know Sky had it.

:confused::confused::confused:
    sure Sky have all the golf????? BBC had nothing for the first 2 days!

On the Protracer, it was definitely on the 13th. Tigers second shot, Saturday on 13 was even caught on it.... maybe the only non tee shot on protracer all week, was the only one I seen anyway

YayaBanana wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the BBC did have it, they were all using the same footage.

I watched the coverage on Sky for the first three days and then BBC for the Sunday. The only day I didn't see the Protracer used was the Sunday.

Seve OB wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:
    sure Sky have all the golf????? BBC had nothing for the first 2 days!

On the Protracer, it was definitely on the 13th. Tigers second shot, Saturday on 13 was even caught on it.... maybe the only non tee shot on protracer all week, was the only one I seen anyway

We don't have Sky Sports :)

kiers47 wrote: »
    It's hard to argue that the best most in form player won the tournament. The other majors often throw up shocks but rare enough that you see a complete random winner of the masters.

Regardless of the test the best player definitely won.

That's because the Masters is far more restrictive in who gets invited. Field of less than 100 and no qualifiers, compared to 150+ and open qualifiers for the US and British Open.

Personally it's one of the things that I don't like about the Masters. It's an invite only club (and half the field can't win anyway, they are former champions or various sentimental invites).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Panrich

kiers47 wrote: »
    It's hard to argue that the best most in form player won the tournament. The other majors often throw up shocks but rare enough that you see a complete random winner of the masters.

Regardless of the test the best player definitely won.

Not alone did the best player over the week win, but the likes of McIlroy and Mickelson gives credence that the cream was at the top this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

That's because the Masters is far more restrictive in who gets invited. Field of less than 100 and no qualifiers, compared to 150+ and open qualifiers for the US and British Open.

Personally it's one of the things that I don't like about the Masters. It's an invite only club (and half the field can't win anyway, they are former champions or various sentimental invites).

This is exactly my point. When you eliminate all the players who cant win you are left with maybe 50 players who can. The cream of the crop. There is less chance of a shock as there are less players with a chance of winning it. So in theory it should be easier for the top players to win.
    The best players through the years have all won the Masters.

People bringing the point up that the greens been more receptive and the rough not as long made it easier and takes away some bit from the performance is rubbish.
    The fact of the matter is that Spieth absolutely crushed this field and no one at any point from thursday on got into it in the slightest. It was an absolute masterclass. Everyone had the same conditions Spieth faced and no one could match him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

We don't have Sky Sports :)

You don't see much TV golf so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

RobertKK wrote: »
    Reading up on Jordan Spieth's background, he was educated at a private school run by the Jesuits , a very fancy school which offers a lot of stuff including the option of playing 19 different sports, including golf.
    One should read the Frequently asked questions about the school he went to, it is an all boys school, the second question asked is, 'How do students meet girls?'
    http://www.jesuitcp.org/page.aspx?pid=409

Can't beat a good education, combined with the right attitude to get to where you want to be.

I remember reading your post when you posted it and thinking it didn't sounded 100%, and by that I don't mean any you are or are not inferring! The reason is that I saw a program about a year or two ago about Jordan Spieth about when he was small. They showed his house and spoke with his parents...he seemed to come from a modest background and not someone who I would have thought would have been able to go to such a good school. Turns out he was on a scholarship and had the decency to write to the donors to thank them when quite young. I'm very impressed by him in every way and think he could be an excellent role model for kids should he stay at the top.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/spieth-wrote-note-family-who-helped-pay-tuition

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

Sounds like a really nice, well balanced individual. I think Rory might have a battle on his hands holding onto the number 1 spot. Should be very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Applications for The Masters 2016 tickets have opened.

As of this year I have decided I will apply every year until hopefully i get lucky enough to go.

If any of ye apply and get tickets i expect an offer considering I have given ye the heads up :)

Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favour

https://tickets.masters.com/en_US/

Didn't get masters tickets :( here's hoping for 2017 or practise round tickets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

shaunac93 wrote: »

did you get an email from them or how did you find out? I applied as well but have heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭irishgeo

you get a email , i applied but nothing yet,

charlieIRL wrote:
    did you get an email from them or how did you find out? I applied as well but have heard nothing.

Yeah got an email this afternoon..maybe it's a good sign that you didn't get an email yet :) bags the other ticket :p

Yeah got an email this afternoon..maybe it's a good sign that you didn't get an email yet :) bags the other ticket :p

I applied but got no email either, I'm taking this to mean it's safe to book flights to Georgia for next April :P

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I applied but got no email either, I'm taking this to mean it's safe to book flights to Georgia for next April :P

Log into the ticket site........Emails go out well after they update the profile on the site.

Log into the ticket site........Emails go out well after they update the profile on the site.

I see my application when I log in but no sign of a confirmation or rejection

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I see my application when I log in but no sign of a confirmation or rejection

thats all i have as well. at least its not a no!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Guess what?

No joy for me either :( !!

Advertisement