Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2015 **MOD warning in OP**

Options
  • 18-02-2015 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

50 days away today.

Can Rory do it and win with the weight of expectation on his shoulders?

Mod Warning

First major of the year…time to familiarise yourselves with the charter...

NO gambling only posts
    e.g. I backed Rory @2/1 - keep this post to the gambling thread, posting it in the main thread will result in a ban

YES
    Rory is playing great stuff. Really glad I backed him now – we have no problem with this type of post

NO commentary moaning - YES we know it’s crap etc but this thread is not about that – warnings given and repeat offenders will miss the cut!

NO requests or posting stream links – this will get you an instant ban…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

ForeRight wrote: »
    50 days away today.

Girlfriend off his mind last yearand look what he achieved, with the court case settled I reckon he will win more than 5 times this year. Hope the masters is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

50 Days of Grey ahead.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Omnibus man?...was that intentional..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

BBC still have live weekend coverage right? Wonder how long that will last...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I hope Rory does it but I like a Sunday night with a few in the mix, I always feel that this is the one for Poults out of all the majors, used to back him annualy until he missed a tap in a few years back on 17 or 18 that cost me €800+ so haven't gone back to him since...Day and Bubba have to be contenders too along with Speith, Ricky and Lefty.
    Of course would love to see some footage of Lowry but he will have to get a hole in one or be in contention for that to happen.
    Roll on 50days, usually close to clocks changing for that extra hour too...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

anyone going ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 9to5

ForeRight wrote: »
    50 days away today.

Yes, if he drives well, wedges ok, putts ok he will destroy the par 5's.

And if Bubba doesn't turn up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

I'd like to see him do it purely because, until he does, every year it will be "can he complete the career slam this year ?"
    Get it over and done with asap !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

He is the red hot favourite. That's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

anyone going ?

...oh to dream...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

slave1 wrote: »
    Of course would love to see some footage of Lowry but he will have to get a hole in one or be in contention for that to happen.

You'll see him on Amen corner coverage! That's my plans for days1 and 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

So much pressure on Rory, can't see him doing it with so much pressure and focus on him, though he definitely has the length to give himself a chance. Day has a great chance also, has started the season strong on a couple major courses. Bubba will be up there again.

Have to say I've been dissapointed with Augusta the last few years now, so much hype before it, Bubba and the rest of the bombers have a massive advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'd like to see Fowler win but I wouldn't mind seeing Day, Spieth or McIlroy winning either. To be honest though even though I wouldn't be a fan of Bubba, when he was playing the golf he was last year I was rooting for him, anyone playing that well deserves it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Rory, meh. I mean he's an alright guy and currently the best overall package no doubt. But I just can't seem to care. At all.
    I know most of you are probably sick of it by now, but...Tiger is the real story. I know if he doesn't start or crashes out halfway through it'll be half the event for me.

What I want to see is a Tiger win and golfing world going into total overdrive after. I know the chances are pretty slim.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Rory, meh. I mean he's an alright guy and currently the best overall package no doubt. But I just can't seem to care. At all.
    I know most of you are probably sick of it by now, but...Tiger is the real story. I know if he doesn't start or crashes out halfway through it'll be half the event for me.

What I want to see is a Tiger win and golfing world going into total overdrive after. I know the chances are pretty slim.

No he isnt, he is a sideshow and shadow of his former self. Imo the game is moving along perfectly well even with his constant attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Boskowski wrote: »

I be with you on that one but the chances of Tiger even making the Masters are slim let alone winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Sean_pop wrote: »
    I be with you on that one but the chances of Tiger even making the Masters are slim let alone winning it.

With seven weeks to get ready, I can't see Tiger being able to resist the temptation to tee it up at Augusta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

No he isnt, he is a sideshow and shadow of his former self. Imo the game is moving along perfectly well even with his constant attention seeking.

Well for some it is for some it isn't. I'm not sure we can blame him for attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Lets not kid ourselves here. Tiger is still by far the biggest attraction in golf.

If he's not playing a big event it just feels cheapened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

abff wrote: »
    With seven weeks to get ready, I can't see Tiger being able to resist the temptation to tee it up at Augusta.

Yeah I agree and he did say his back wasn't concerning him now. The problem that may be in his head is that everyone knows how very tidy you have to be around Augusta's greens and I'm sure he doesn't want to put his chipping yips on display to embarrass himself on the World's biggest golf stage.

When he said he was going to take time off to work on his game, I was hopeful but unfortunately he seems more concerned with watching Lindsey in Colorado.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Again I'll remind people it was only 2013 when he was within a whisker of winning the Masters, if it weren't for hitting the pin and spinning back into the water and the resulting penalty for an illegal drop he probably would have won. He had to settle for a measly 5 tour wins that season. I don't believe he'll be 100% fit in time for the Masters this year though.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Again I'll remind people it was only 2013 when he was within a whisker of winning the Masters, if it weren't for hitting the pin and spinning back into the water and the resulting penalty for an illegal drop he probably would have won. He had to settle for a measly 5 tour wins that season. I don't believe he'll be 100% fit in time for the Masters this year though.

If your granny had balls..etc.

Im a tiger woods fan but at the minute id prefer to see him take enough time out to fully recover instead of coming back and having what happened at the farmers.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/tiger-woods-back-and-fit-to-play-after-four-months-1.2023896

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

mike12 wrote: »
    Girlfriend off his mind last yearand look what he achieved, with the court case settled I reckon he will win more than 5 times this year. Hope the masters is one.

ya but sure he has a new girlfriend now to keep his mind occupied!

of course for obvious reasons I would like to see Rors & JP win, but if they can't do it, nobody better Tiger :D lets hear your roar again Eldrick

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Lets not kid ourselves here. Tiger is still by far the biggest attraction in golf.

A year or so ago i would have agreed with you, i think this is changing though and when you factor in his recent record in the majors the guys coming through are filling this void for me and i very much doubt the title feels cheapened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

A year or so ago i would have agreed with you, i think this is changing though and when you factor in his recent record in the majors the guys coming through are filling this void for me and i very much doubt the title feels cheapened to them.

Who are these guys coming in to fill the void?

Besides McIlroy, we're left with the usual plethora of talented golfers but none of them with the ability to dominate like Tiger.

I'm not saying the players will necessarily feel like a title is cheapened, but as a viewer I certainly do.

Also, keep in mind it was about 1 year or so ago when Tiger was last fully fit and winning regularly on tour.

Sometimes I get the impression people forget how good Tiger was in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Couldnt agree more with the above about tourneys without tiger.

Heard the commentator mention on saturday at pebble, that when tiger won at pebble in 2000, it was his 7th tournament win in a row. :eek::eek:

You forget how absolutely dominant he was. He showed that in 2013, he was there and there abouts with five wins between february and june, and I can only hope that he gets back to full fitness sooner rather than later.

Amazingly Paddy Power have Tiger at 1/3 to win a PGA tour event again. Tiger woods will win on the PGA tour again, of that I have no doubt. He's just too talented a player not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jazzzman wrote: »
    I'm not saying the players will necessarily feel like a title is cheapened, but as a viewer I certainly do.
    Couldnt agree more with the above about tourneys without tiger.

Next we'll be hearing Harrington's majors don't count because Woods wasn't playing! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

thats just silly. Of course his majors* count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Jazzzman wrote:

Sure any aul hack can win when he's not playing.

Or 3.

I know who I'd prefer see at home resting up his back. Let golf be the star attraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

thats just silly. Of course his majors* count.

but are 'cheapened' because Woods wasn't playing?

Advertisement