Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Yeah the coach is very interesting, she is challenging all the things I think are right and true and showing evidence to the contrary. Will see what the results yield :). Hope all good with you R!

Wow! And you generally know your stuff! Hopefully you'll report back in due course.

All good here in Dunboyne thanks, the town is flooded with people running and walking all the time. The footpaths are a pure danger, you either risk splatting your sweat on someone as you pass or risk getting splatted by a passing car as you jump out to avoid them! It's gotten to the stage where I've had to pick running routes purely based on footpath traffic! Not a bad complaint though #fittown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

There's always something new to learn! Everyone is different but something that I'm starting to realise is that I do everything in a high stress state, running, eating, working out, working in general - everything. The result is that everything I do adds to my stress load resulting in the opposite effect that I'm looking for. I'll get so far and then the wheels come off! Age is a factor too, the pandemic is also contributing :rolleyes:. Also figuring out a healthy food balance - the one and only thing I miss about the Graves is that I can no longer eat all the things :o.

The bottom line is for now, my main focus is on bringing mindfulness to everything I do including my runs, prioritising things like yoga (and not making a competition out of that too!!!) and taking a chill pill when it comes to going for a run or working out. I'll just take a break from Strava and logging until I figure this out.

The Physio's massage bed left deep indents in my face from being pushed down so hard on Friday, I have a follow up app this Friday to look forward too..... The pain is still there but the dizziness is much better thankfully.

Looking forward to April 12th so I can explore beyond the 5K, there are tons of amazing walks/runs and hikes in this county but first the beach, I miss the sea so so much!

Happy Easter folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Be cool if you log some of the mindfulness stuff too. Enjoy this log whatever shape it takes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sounds like a good approach AM. Too easy sometimes to get caught up in stats and numbers and benchmarks (I’m very guilty of that) when all we may really need is just to run. Or hike. Or whatever. And appreciate that we can. Bring on the 12th !

An update of sorts.

I have on and off, over the last 10 years been interested in health and wellbeing but more recently have taken a deeper dive through coaching, books and podcasts. Some of these learnings might be interesting or useful to others and if nothing else, it’s a place for me to log and remember stuff I want to focus on in the coming months. The two topics I’m most focused on right now are:

Breathing..... Something we all take for granted, and sure there’s no right or wrong way to do this right? Wrong apparently! I’ve been reading James Nestor, Breathe. Some cultures (American Indian’s for example) believed that breathing through the mouth brought disease and harm to the body. Orthodontists have found evidence that mouth breathing causes crooked teeth and many scientific studies have shown how our skulls have changed in the last few hundred years directly related to how we breathe. In case I’ve lost ye, there is evidence to show that Athletes can improve their performance by staggering amounts if they move from mouth to nose breathing. I’d highly recommend the book, it’s full of amazing studies and facts around breathing and is something we can all do better. I’ve taken to taping my mouth at night - before tang get’s in with a smart remark that it should be taped when I’m awake too :D I’m aware... :o. I’m also focusing on nose breathing when I’m out walking, jogging or hiking - if I jog, it means keeping the pace nice n low which is exactly what I need right now. I managed to jog most of the trails in Doneraile recently 100% nose breathing and it felt amazing.

Intuitive Eating. I’m sure if I could ask my grandparents about this they’d be like ‘well duh!’ (okay, they would speak properly or tut, no one tuts anymore!). I’m learning a massive amount about nutrition, specifically for women of my age like NOT running on empty but also general things like how to fuel your exercise properly and not trying to run off what you just ate, the importance of protein in recovery and just eating mostly really tasty, healthy nutritious food without restricting, calorie counting or judging.

All 10 principles of Intuitive Eating make sense to me but one resonates with where I am now.
    Movement—Feel the Difference Forget militant exercise. Just get active and feel the difference. Shift your focus to how it feels to move your body, rather than the calorie-burning effect of exercise.
    This is about tuning into the body’s innate wisdom relating to hunger, fullness and satisfaction. I have a lot of bad habits going back over many years including the guilt I attach to pretty much anything I eat. I would run in the morning and say to myself “now you can have breakfast as you’ve already worked it off”. If I didn’t run then I’d only ‘deserve’ a small breakfast. Reframing my attitude is already making a massive difference and the breathing work I’m doing means I’m more relaxed (deep breathing before I sit down to eat a meal, giving thanks for the food, taking my time eating it).

I’m not running much at the moment but I’m still very active every day between The Five Tibetan Rites every morning, strength workouts a few times a week, long brisk walks including long hikes in the mountains and a couple of hours on the bike once or twice a week with one of the club members or solo. None of it is being counted, not the pace, nor the heart rate or the distance or the number of sets and reps - I do still turn on the watch so I can see the history of what I’ve done over a week on Garmin Connect but just out of interest really. I’m definitely more relaxed. That’s not to say I won’t go back running regularly, I most definitely will when my body has healed itself, hopefully in a few weeks. The foot is improving although the Achilles still gives out occasionally and the neck pain is also on the mend following some very painful physio sessions! Great to see some fantastic training goin on on other logs, not at all jealous :pac:.

I have four books on the go at the moment so the path to knowledge stretches out long before me :pac:
    Breathe, James Nestor
    Beating Brain Fog, Dr Sabina Brennan
    The Book of Joy, Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu
    Atomic Habits, James Clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

An update of sorts.

I have on and off, over the last 10 years been interested in health and wellbeing but more recently have taken a deeper dive through coaching, books and podcasts. Some of these learnings might be interesting or useful to others and if nothing else, it’s a place for me to log and remember stuff I want to focus on in the coming months. The two topics I’m most focused on right now are:

Breathing..... Something we all take for granted, and sure there’s no right or wrong way to do this right? Wrong apparently! I’ve been reading James Nestor, Breathe. Some cultures (American Indian’s for example) believed that breathing through the mouth brought disease and harm to the body. Orthodontists have found evidence that mouth breathing causes crooked teeth and many scientific studies have shown how our skulls have changed in the last few hundred years directly related to how we breathe. In case I’ve lost ye, there is evidence to show that Athletes can improve their performance by staggering amounts if they move from mouth to nose breathing. I’d highly recommend the book, it’s full of amazing studies and facts around breathing and is something we can all do better. I’ve taken to taping my mouth at night - before tang get’s in with a smart remark that it should be taped when I’m awake too :D I’m aware... :o. I’m also focusing on nose breathing when I’m out walking, jogging or hiking - if I jog, it means keeping the pace nice n low which is exactly what I need right now. I managed to jog most of the trails in Doneraile recently 100% nose breathing and it felt amazing.

Intuitive Eating. I’m sure if I could ask my grandparents about this they’d be like ‘well duh!’ (okay, they would speak properly or tut, no one tuts anymore!). I’m learning a massive amount about nutrition, specifically for women of my age like NOT running on empty but also general things like how to fuel your exercise properly and not trying to run off what you just ate, the importance of protein in recovery and just eating mostly really tasty, healthy nutritious food without restricting, calorie counting or judging.

All 10 principles of Intuitive Eating make sense to me but one resonates with where I am now.
    Movement—Feel the Difference Forget militant exercise. Just get active and feel the difference. Shift your focus to how it feels to move your body, rather than the calorie-burning effect of exercise.
    This is about tuning into the body’s innate wisdom relating to hunger, fullness and satisfaction. I have a lot of bad habits going back over many years including the guilt I attach to pretty much anything I eat. I would run in the morning and say to myself “now you can have breakfast as you’ve already worked it off”. If I didn’t run then I’d only ‘deserve’ a small breakfast. Reframing my attitude is already making a massive difference and the breathing work I’m doing means I’m more relaxed (deep breathing before I sit down to eat a meal, giving thanks for the food, taking my time eating it).

I’m not running much at the moment but I’m still very active every day between The Five Tibetan Rites every morning, strength workouts a few times a week, long brisk walks including long hikes in the mountains and a couple of hours on the bike once or twice a week with one of the club members or solo. None of it is being counted, not the pace, nor the heart rate or the distance or the number of sets and reps - I do still turn on the watch so I can see the history of what I’ve done over a week on Garmin Connect but just out of interest really. I’m definitely more relaxed. That’s not to say I won’t go back running regularly, I most definitely will when my body has healed itself, hopefully in a few weeks. The foot is improving although the Achilles still gives out occasionally and the neck pain is also on the mend following some very painful physio sessions! Great to see some fantastic training goin on on other logs, not at all jealous :pac:.

I have four books on the go at the moment so the path to knowledge stretches out long before me :pac:
    Breathe, James Nestor

Taping your mouth shut in bed and heavy breathing.

Boards very own 50 Shades of Grey!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Taping your mouth shut in bed and heavy breathing.

Boards very own 50 Shades of Grey!!

TbL

Breathing through her nose & taping her mouth in bed C, only thing she didn’t mention was the whip and rubber gloves!!!!

Tsk, there's me trying to better myself! Trust you two to bring the tone right down :p

All joking aside, you should read about it yourselves, you're always looking for ways to improve your running!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Tsk, there's me trying to better myself! Trust you two to bring the tone right down :p

All joking aside, you should read about it yourselves, you're always looking for ways to improve your running!

Wearing a gymp suit with my mouth taped while Tang chases me with a whip isn’t a session I’ve come across before but I’ll give anything a go :)

TbL

Just about to start Atomic Habits...
    Reading Why we Sleep at the moment. Yikes, early bedtime forever more :eek:

• Advertisement

Wearing a gymp suit with my mouth taped while Tang chases me with a whip isn’t a session I’ve come across before but I’ll give anything a go :)

TbL

Where & when......

Just about to start Atomic Habits...
    Reading Why we Sleep at the moment. Yikes, early bedtime forever more :eek:

That's next on my list although I've listened to Mathew Walker on podcast a good few times, already doing the consistent bedtime thing weekdays & weekends! There's so much fantastic information out there on all these topics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

An update of sorts.

Breathe, James Nestor
    Really interesting update, will definitely look forward to reading more as you continue with all of this. I know nothing about breathing (apart from how to do it :p) but am very familiar with the intuitive eating approach and I'm a big believer - it's powerful stuff. Good luck with it all - seems like the new approach is suiting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Runningirl

I’m really interested in the breathing technique. I’ve noticed I’ve been breathing more through my nose subconsciously on my easier runs, I think mainly to avoid breathing on people I’m passing but it’s good to know there’s an added benefit to it. I’ll definitely try to be more aware of it now!

Last 8 days

3 runs, 7.5 miles
    3 walks, 1 hike 11.1 miles
    3 yoga sessions 35.19 minutes
    2 bike rides 28.4 miles
    2 workouts 65 minutes

The hikes were in some fairly spectacular places, last weekend I went to Castlefreke Woods and Long Strand with Woody, the views were breathtaking. The 5k restrictions meant I hadn't been to Doneraile Park in far too long so headed there last Sunday for a slow jog, nasal breathing all the way round. The two bike spins were with company, Wednesday's faster and longer spin with one of the lads from the Axa bike group, the craic is unreal given he's #purecork and I'm definitely still a Dub with a capital D :D. Friday we had the company of one other girl so we took it easier and was thoroughly enjoyable. Is there anything better in this world than genuine belly laughing with other people!

This weekend we headed to Bantry Bay and walked the new promenade which has views of Glengarrif, the mountains of Beara and many other beautiful sights, it was worth the 90 minute drive.

The walks were mostly solo very brisk with the earphones in, I don't put the watch on for the morning/lunch walks with Woody so there's probably another 4/5 miles over the week of those but they are gentle easy strolls.

Today's 5KTT Report here, was hard but enjoyable (well, once I finished it!). I'm not feeling any worse for it so that's a good sign.

I'm doing really well on the easy runs, much slower than I had been running and it's making a difference, I might get the hang of this yet..

Happy Sunday all :)

Hello log! It's great to see so many logs resurrected recently. I'm not going to log regularly again as it seems to bring bad luck 🙄😄 but I think a review of 2021 is a good idea. Lots learned along the way for sure!

After trying a few different running 'plans' I pretty much gave up, nothing was working - I'd get so far and then feel crap again. Eventually in the summer I bit the bullet and went to my GP with a view to starting HRT. There's been a lot of talk on the airwaves in recent months and I was quite shocked to hear what some women have had to go through and how resistant so many GP's are, luckily mine is a dream and she encouraged me to try it. I suppose because my symptoms were not truly awful, the magic transformation has not happened but - the brain fog is almost gone, I'm sleeping much better and I feel my energy and ability to get fit again is improving 🤞. As Yazz said, the only way is up! On my run today I really felt for the first time in a long time that some fitness was returning.

I joined my local Crossfit gym earlier in the year as I really enjoyed these types of workouts from years gone by and I made some great progress.

2021 PB's

Deadlift 1MR PR 75kg

Back Squat 1MR PR 52.5kg

Snatch Push Press 1MR PR 30kg

Shoulder press 1MR @ 27.5kg

Power Snatch 3MR 25kg

Hang Squat Snatch 1MR 25kg

Overhead Squat 1MR 25kg

Back weighted lunge 10MR 15kg

Pull ups 10 (band assisted) considering I couldn't even grip the bar when I started...(true story, I stood on the bench, gripped the bar and let go and immediately dropped down! It took me many months to master this one so it's the one I'm most proud of)

Box jumps 16in (the broken knee really held me back here, pity, I used to be able to box jump 20in np)

I finished up in early December but am really happy to have been doing something productive and still achieving things while off the 'bench' from a running perspective. There were a few setbacks along the way with the HRT, one being these really awful dizzy spells that were worse than anything previously experienced. Knocking alcohol on the head seems to have rectified that thankfully. I re-read the book Run Fat Bit*h Run again and it reminded me (as did MurphD earlier in the year) that consistency is key and you have to walk before you can run so I've been going out walking a 4 mile loop before work 3-4 times a week since I stopped the crossfit and starting to jog parts of the loop so now it's a part walk, part run. I also became and Axa Community Bike ride leader in late Autumn and lead a couple of group cycles in my local area - I'll get back to that in the coming weeks too. parkrun resumed too! - finally I live close enough to a parkrun to walk/jog down, take part and walk/jog home. It's an easy way to get 5.5 miles every Saturday. Yoga still plays a part and really helps with the ageing joint pain!

In my old(er) age I've come to accept that in sport, as in life, I am a bit of a jack of all trades but master of none. That's okay, I'm lucky I can do all the things I enjoy and while I still read enviously here all the fantastic achievements of others I no longer beat myself up for not being as good.

For better or worse, I've signed up for the Mallow 10 mile in late March, if I have to walk sections that's absolutely fine with me, I'd just like to complete the distance - there will be no victory dance as there was in Trim in 2016 😀.

Happy New Year to all and here's to a good year in running and life for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Good to read your summary of 2021. They do say strength training is better than running for women of our youthfulness . You seem to have taken very well to it!

You are very active - hopefully this stands for you as you get your running kickstarted again. That book was the first running book I read - must pull it out and have a look again !

Thankfully I can still have wine - I do have to be prepared though to have a rubbish night sleep after it though .

It might be worth having a look at Jeff Galloways book - with regard to run/walk schedules if you like structure around your training . You may get back to form using this method .

Best of luck at mallow - hopefully you will update your log before then and let us know how your getting on !

Post edited by Bluesquare on

Ah 2016, that trip to Kinvara will always hold a special place in my heart❤️.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Very nice to see this log back up and running!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Delighted to see you back and health has been on the up and up during the year (especially as so many of us are coming back to logging having gone the opposite way)

As mentioned above Galloway probably be most suitable style of approach. The main thing is you are active and hopefully getting back to a stage where you can enjoy it (as much as the CF)

• Advertisement

The trip where you gave me dogs abuse for 2 hours in the car? That trip?!! 😀. Me too, the good ole days 💙

Agreed, and I will keep up the strength at home definitely. I'll take another look at Jeff Galloway, I did look at his stuff previously and in fact he is one of the plans on Garmin Coach but I don't want to tie myself down to specifics right now. I will focus on being consistent with the 4 mile loop as many days of the week as I can with a combo of walking and run/walks until I'm running more than I'm walking 😊.

Happy New Year AGYR! Great to read that you still have some grá for running! I completely subscribe to the jack of all trades, master of none. Sure I've focused solely on a couple of run plans for results but overall the variety of movement and the key objective of being able to move how I like as I age is number 1. Will you go back to Crossfit? Do you follow any Crossfitters? I Like TCT and hubby but it's a lot of the same. It would be good for one of the young guns to give her a proper run for it this year. Kristi Ermo OC and hubby have decent content and it's interesting to see how a smaller, former marathon runner has turned her body into an elite CF engine.

All the best for the journey to Mallow, I'll always follow regardless of how often or seldom you post!

Thanks M! I probably won't go back, I can't justify the cost especially when I have enough of the gear here to work away with and I don't need to be doing the very heavy lifting to maintain enough strength for a healthy life - everything in moderation, including moderation right?! I thoroughly enjoyed the 9 months though and really glad I spent that time doing something I could improve at, stopped my 'I'm too old' mentality in it's tracks 😃. My coach would talk about the CF games and mention some of the competitors, some of whom adorn the gym walls and certainly looking at some of the women would make me very envious, they work hard and they achieve fantastic results but I never got into watching the games or anything like that.

Here's hoping for a better running year for us both in 2022, best of luck with your training - I'm looking forward to seeing your marathon on a rower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great to read that and hope all goes well.

My wife went through similar (or is going through?) - She went to an Endocrinologist and hasn't looked back since.

I hope 2022 is good to you!

Thanks A, glad to your hear your wife had good experience with an Endo - wonder if it's the same one I had for Graves (she was brilliant). I do realise how lucky I am to have such a great GP, makes a massive difference when you find someone who will actually listen v pontificate!

Best of luck with the Marathon! Your training is pretty phenomenal these days - you deserve a great result!

Fitness improving, am able to run for longer without stopping to walk. Have loosely been following a Hal Higdon beginner 15k plan.

Monday Jan 10th

Monday's are officially Strength & Stretch but I felt like I wanted to get some air, so did 30 min walk before my workout, 3.26km then home and 20 mins of Kettle bell squats, lunges, swings, overhead press and 3 rounds of Sun Salutation as my stretch.

Tuesday Jan 11th

Plan said run 3 miles so I did about 1/2 mile warm up walk then into the run - 3 miles no walking then a cool down walk for another 1/2 a mile. Strava says nice morning, no wind and not too cold. Think I really enjoyed this :)

Wednesday Jan 12th

Wednesday's on the plan say 30 min walk so that's what I did. Did some yoga and stretches before I left the house then walked 3.12km. Strava says chilly!

Thursday Jan 13th

I didn't hear the news on Wednesday so went to bed unaware of the awful events of that day. I was going into the office today so up early to get my 2 mile run as per the plan. No time for warm up and cool down additional mileage. 3.23km in 23mins. Still unaware.

Friday January 14th

With a heavy heart I went for my walk, bringing Woody which I don't normally do. I didn't feel like speed walking, I just wanted to get out. So many of us don't verbalise the things we do to stay safe. I do run in the dark but I'm hyper alert of who's around, who just passed me, who I just passed, cars coming down the road, other people in general. I don't carry my keys in my hand when running but I would if I was walking home from the pub. Just because I don't allow the fear to stop me doing stuff does not mean that those who are too afraid, don't have a right to be. Something needs to be done to make the world a safer place.

Saturday Jan 15th

I volunteered at parkrun this morning and like so many other parkruns around the country we had a minutes silence for Ashling Murphy. Some chat on Twitter about a run for Ashling, people wanting to remember all the women who've died violently (Urantsetseq Tserendorj's anniversary is next week I think).

Went for my own run after volunteering, 5km in 35 mins, I did stop twice to walk in the last km - the legs were quite stiff from standing around for the previous hour in the cold and I struggled to get going. Later in the day I went to Doneraile Park at attend a community vigil for Ashling and we did a short walk together as a group, just 1 mile.

Sunday 16th

Definitely off plan, cycled 33km from Mallow to Doneraile Park and back with a quick pitstop for coffee in Doneraile. Did this with a friend on lovely, quiet country roads enjoying the nice morning and peace and quiet. Not many cars on the backroads which is one of the reasons I love this route.

RIP Ashling Murphy #shewasgoingforarun

Total mileage for the week 16.70 (including both walks and runs)

Post edited by Annie get your Run on

8 weeks to Race day - that's TONS of time to get my ass into shape, right?!! I've also found a couple of local IMRA races to take part in along the way - Sunday 20th Feb 8.5km in the forestry up the road that I ran in a few times last year and another the following week in Curabinny Woods that's a bit shorter, 6.7km. I'd love to do both but lets see what the fitness is like by then.

Monday 17th Jan, Stretch and Strength

10 mins of yoga poses followed by 10 mins kettlebell workout

Tuesday 18th Jan, 4 miles

Ran for 3 miles (11.34, 11.45, 11.26) followed by 1 mile brisk walk cool down. Might have to move the strength as the legs were tired, possibly connected to the bike ride on Sunday also. I changed my route so I was running around the town removing two fairly quiet roads, once the mornings get brighter I'll have the option to incorporate the town park into these runs.

Wednesday 19th 3.2 miles

Plan says 30 min walk but I want to try and walk this distance or 4 miles as much as possible if time permits in the mornings. It's a good way to start the day and not really taxing. Met a friend who I know from walking our dogs, we often stop to chat when we meet out, with or without the dogs, the conversation was similar to many over the last week and we swapped route suggestions and the emergency button on our Garmin watches - unfortunately it only works if you have your phone with you which I tend not to have when running unless I'm on the trails or hills. It's a good feature though and it does work as I discovered one day when I pressed the pedestrian button with probably a little impatience 😤😊.

Thursday 20th January 3.15 miles

Was in the office today so decided to bring the gear and get out at lunchtime. There's a lovely path along the Lee Fields although it can be busy during the day. The plan said 2 mile run so I did a warm up fast walk .5 mile then into the 2 mile run in 10.45 & 10.50 followed by cooldown fast walk .5 miles. I had notions about doing this at a faster pace but the legs said no. My new Puma Velocity Nitro's arrived the other day and I've been walking around the house in them. Ran in them yesterday and they felt okay but I'm not sure yet, they feel flatter than my Reeboks.

Saturday 22nd January 3.41 miles

Plan said 4 miles but I decided to go up to Rahan where the IMRA race is taking place in Feb. I have walked up here recently enough but haven't run it in a long time, I forgot how gorgeous is it (aka hilly). There was a group of runners going the opposite direction to me so I didn't feel quite so alone, otherwise empty. First mile partly uphill (total ascent 25, total descent 25) 11:14, mile 2 8.58 😊 (total ascent 1, total descent 29) Mile 3 12.24 (total ascent 65, total decent 10) and the last .41 was also uphill. Could have tagged on another .6 to bring it to the 4 miles but would have had to continue uphill to do that - next time!

While I was thrilled with my speedy descent (for me..), the uphills tell me I have some work to do if I want to show my face at a race and not leave the volunteers hanging around for me to rock home. Thoroughly enjoyed this though and may ditch parkrun for next few weeks to do a few more trail runs on a Saturday.

Sunday 23rd January 25.81 miles on the bike

An Axa community bike ride. I hadn't done this route before, created by one of the other leaders. As leader support today I was at the back for the first 20K so wasn't as fast as I'd have liked and I should have worn an extra layer. These rides are about getting people out on their bikes, they are the opposite of a club ride and a little more like parkrun ethos wise. Swapped places with the ride leader on the return leg so got a few faster km's in and plenty of hills done. Have signed up for Ride Dingle in April and although I've done the route previously on my own, I'll be hoping to push on a bit this time if I can find a group to stick with so need to be working a bit more when I'm out on the bike.

Funny how the news has changed radically in the space of a week, I know that's how it works but it feels strange that something is almost completely forgotten about just like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the improvements, was just wondering myself if you feel the Yoga/S & C was impacting the running now that you are running longer?

• Advertisement

Yoga is wonderful, there is nothing it won't improve 🙂. IMO S&C gives me the strength to run although there is balancing act. I couldn't run much when I was doing CrossFit with very heavy weights but then I moved to CF because I couldn't run due to hormone issues so it served me well while I was sorting that. I had the same experience 10 years ago when I took up CF the first time, I couldn't do both well so I dropped the weights altogether. But there is a balance and I'm determined to find it. S&C is so important for women especially as we age, it's as important to me that I'm strong as it is to able to run - I'll never be fast, I learned that the first time around so I'm happy to find a middle ground.

Advertisement