Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

8th - 14th January

Monday 8th Jan
    Rest

Tuesday 9th Jan
    Bike 12..43 miles @ avg hr 116
    Yoga 35 mins: restorative yoga flow
    Bike 12.06 miles @ avg hr 113
    First bike commute since 30th November, mother nature welcomed me back with gale force winds and cold drizzle on the way in, nice.... At least the wind was behind me on the way home which is a rare enough occurrence. Knackered after this!

Wednesday 10th Jan
    AM Bike: 12.5 miles @ avg HR 114.
    Had a brainwave last night about the whole cycle commute thing. I don't want to give it up entirely both for financial benefits and I do enjoy it but it can be draining when the weather is so rubbish (and it's DARK!). So I'm going to cycle in one day and home the next and see how that goes. It will still be similar mileage but spread out over the week instead of concentrated into 3 days.

PM Run: 4 miles avg HR 129 pace 11:42.... meh.
    Instructions were drills first then 4 miles easy. Did the drills which I have to say were hard work! The legs were tired after them!! then headed off for 4 miles in the cold, damp foggy evening. First 2 miles felt okay, pace a bit slower than recent runs but the 2nd two miles were a slog, I had to slow right down to keep the HR under 130 and my body was very uncooperative feeling stiff and running was an effort for it. I haven't been sleeping properly since I came home so I"m putting it down to that, also have been coughing a bit in recent days.. . Hopefully the weekend runs will be better.

Thursday 11th Jan
    Bike: 12.6 miles @ avg hr 116. Commute home in the horrible damp, freezing fog. This was zero fun and I took the long way home to try and avoid being on the road with cars where possible :rolleyes:. It's astounding how many people continued to speed despite the greatly reduced visibility.

Friday 12th Jan
    Bike: 4.2 miles @ avg hr 106 - drive/bike commute to work

Lunch Run 4 miles including 6 x 30 sec strides with 1 1/2 - 2 mins recovery @ 11:00 avg hr 136BPM
    It's a good while since I've done a lunch run from plan so I'd mapped out the route in advance so I'd leave myself exactly enough distance to do the 6 x 30 second strides and arrive back at the office door - more or less! I did enjoy this although the wind made it tough to keep the HR under control. Absolutely LOVED the strides but I forgot to do any drills before starting off oops..Was a bit tight for time towards the end too so the recoveries were not as much as suggested but made sure my RHR was back in recovery mode before starting the next one.

Bike 4.2 miles @ avg hr 126 bike/drive commute home

Saturday 13th January - nothing, in bed sick. Woke up smothering with a cough and cold, it's obviously been brewing for a few days :(.

Sunday 14th Jan
    Yoga: 20 mins flow

Plan said 6 miles with a 5 min pick up at the end. Woke up feeling marginally better this morning and had had enough of the bed. Brought the dog for a walk and while it was chilly, the sun was shining and it was beautiful day. I had several internal rows with myself over the morning - 'go on, run it'll be grand' 'don't you dare run you're not well' 😀 In the end I compromised with the following: Drills followed by:
    1 mile @ 11:00 avg HR 141
    Jogged down to the Cow Park where the club were hosting the Leinster XC. Walked around for a while until the races got underway then started the watch as I sprinted from one section to the next to offer support to clubmates and friends alike.
    2:90 miles covered supporting over 3 races avg HR 128. The pace obviously includes the bits in the middle I was standing and it's not what was on the plan but sure it's better than nothing! Well done to everyone, looks like Bray may have had a good result..
    1.2 miles @ 11:39 avg HR 148....I was starting to get too hot and then too cold under all the layers so headed home after the Seniors women. Good to catch up briefly with Adrian, Dubgal and see Wubble Wubble (sorry I didn't get a chance to chat but the next race started straight after yours finished!). Hilariously my Strava feed says I ran 'with' Beep Beep 😀 Deadly!
    Total for today 5.3 miles.

Off to have another hot whiskey & hopefully kill the dregs of this cold..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great to see you back running again AM get rid of that cold and mind yourself. See you for a run soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

First time I've heard of anyone doing their run while supporting! Especially in the Cow Park! Me, I would have run down, found a nice dry bit to stand on and cheer, and then run home on the nice, clean, flat road, but you run around the horrible mucky field to cheer multiple times! Top class supporting AM! Sounds like the club athletes (and no doubt Boardsies too) appreciated it.

Get well soon.

Mulberry wrote: »
    First time I've heard of anyone doing their run while supporting! Especially in the Cow Park! Me, I would have run down, found a nice dry bit to stand on and cheer, and then run home on the nice, clean, flat road, but you run around the horrible mucky field to cheer multiple times! Top class supporting AM! Sounds like the club athletes (and no doubt Boardsies too) appreciated it.

Get well soon.

You know how much I love the cow park :D. I wouldn't have been able for a straight 6 miler so the stopping and starting was perfect, plus I got to run in the muck!! It's no substitute for what was on the plan obviously but I was improvising :P.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Great to see you back running again AM get rid of that cold and mind yourself. See you for a run soon :)

Right back atcha A, I'm definitely due a north side trip soon :).

• Advertisement

15th - 21st Jan

Monday: rest, was working from home to try and shake the cough/cold.
    Tuesday: Storm whatever it's name was or snow or something that meant I had to get the bus - ugh.

Wednesday 17th Jan: Lunch Run
    Drills followed by 4 miles including 6 x 30 sec strides with 2 min recoveries. I think I enjoyed this although it was bitterly cold and very windy on the return leg it was sunny! Had forgotten to check what way I was supposed to be doing the recoveries between strides, last week I had done standing recoveries but today was so cold that wasn't possible so I sort of jogged /walked them. Discovered afterwards that yes jogging them is the way to go.
    Mile 1 11:15 hr 123
    Mile 2 11:18 hr 130
    Mile 3 11:10 hr 134
    Mile 4 mixed pace with strides & walking/jogging recoveries

Thursday 18th Jan
    Bike 2 x 12 miles @ avg hr 104 & 114
    Did a double due to the total lack of exercise so far this week!

Friday 19th Jan
    Bike 2 x 4 miles @ avg hr 102 & 121
    Lunch Run: 4.3 miles @ 11:19 avg HR 137.
    Again 4 miles including 6 x 30 second strides. Decided to programme this into the watch so I wouldn't have to count the time for the strides and watch the watch for the recoveries. Miscalculated! I set it up for a 3 mile run allowing a mile for the strides... not sure how I overshot this but anyway ended up with 4.3 miles instead. Another very very windy run but not as cold.
    Mile 1 @ 11:00 Hr 129
    Mile 2 @ 11:24 hr 133
    Mile 3 @ 11:27 hr 138
    Mile 4 + .3 mixed with strides & jogged recoveries

Sunday 21st January: 6 miles steady with 5 min pick up at the end
    6 miles @ 11:16 avg hr 136.
    A bit of a crazy weekend which started with a broken gas boiler and a frantic search for a plumber that could fix it asap. Found a local guy who came early on Sat morning (lie in gone!) and while it took a few hours he thankfully got it working again - the problem now is the damn thing won't turn off!!!!! Thankfully I had some help with this or I'd have been even more stressed :). Anyway, late night on Sat night following a not perfect sleep on Friday meant I was very tired today and looking out the window at the wind and rain didn't fill me with enthusiasm for this run. Stopped off in the PP this afternoon on my way back from Cornelscourt and the rain was just stopping and the sun fighting to make an appearance. Started off with a rain jacket and baseball hat and headed from Chesterfield Ave to Farmleigh to use the loos, quick stop and back out again from Farmleigh and back to the car to quickly throw the jacket and hat into the boot. A risky move but was getting warm. The plan was to do a couple of loops of the Ordinance/Furze/Chesterfield loop. The wind was howling and seemed to be coming from everywhere. Did the first loop with 2 miles already on the watch from the Farmleigh run. Got to the corner of Chesterfield and Ordinance and decided to turn around and run it backwards to see if it was easier wind wise - it wasn't :rolleyes: Kept an eye on the watch and with half a mile to go picked up the pace for the last 5 mins or so as instructed. I'm sure if I wasn't running up a drag and into the wind this would have been easier :D. Was glad to see 6 miles beep and was near enough to the car at that point. Back home for a hot shower in my new roasting house - I'll ignore the gas bill as I always do and hope the direct debit doesn't clear out my account :eek: :p.

Am looking forward to next week as I have permission to run Raheny 5 mile at steady HR :) I won't be racing it but because I haven't been able to do it in so many years I wanted to be running it this year instead of on the sidelines.

Totals for the week
    Runs: 14.3
    Bike: 32.5
    Yoga: none..... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

To many plumber jokes coming to mind......... glad he sorted your pipes out!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

My heating wasn't working either this week. And no Barry there was nothing wrong with my plumbing .... there was a dead mouse stuck in the fan :)

Tipping along nicely AM, you must be pleased!

My heating wasn't working either this week. And no Barry there was nothing wrong with my plumbing .... there was a dead mouse stuck in the fan :)

Tipping along nicely AM, you must be pleased!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I was ignoring him Kate - thought he Dutch would have put some manners on him by now :D

Glad to see you are making some progress too K, fingers crossed we'll both get back on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice steady come back AM :)
    Stopped off in the PP this afternoon on my way back from Cornelscourt and the rain was just stopping and the sun fighting to make an appearance. Started off with a rain jacket and baseball hat and headed from Chesterfield Ave to Farmleigh to use the loos, quick stop and back out again from Farmleigh and back to the car to quickly throw the jacket and hat into the boot. A risky move but was getting warm. The plan was to do a couple of loops of the Ordinance/Furze/Chesterfield loop. The wind was howling and seemed to be coming from everywhere. Did the first loop with 2 miles already on the watch from the Farmleigh run. Got to the corner of Chesterfield and Ordinance and decided to turn around and run it backwards to see if it was easier wind wise - it wasn't :rolleyes: Kept an eye on the watch and with half a mile to go picked up the pace for the last 5 mins or so as instructed. I'm sure if I wasn't running up a drag and into the wind this would have been easier :D. Was glad to see 6 miles beep and was near enough to the car at that point. Back home for a hot shower in my new roasting house - I'll ignore the gas bill as I always do and hope the direct debit doesn't clear out my account :eek: :p.

Since I got a three hour personal tour of every inch of the PP from the one and only Nop, I now know exactly where you're talking about when you talk about each road and hill in the PP :) don't feel as much of a culchie anymore.

• Advertisement

Steady means steady, so run the race at steady pace(that rhymes!!!) Enjoy it AM and run well.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Steady means steady, so run the race at steady pace(that rhymes!!!) Enjoy it AM and run well.

Thanks :) I was reminded earlier that in fact I’m not very good at not racing when I’m not supposed to...oops! Will make sure I stick to the HR range I’ve been given (mostly!!)

22nd - 27th January

Monday 22nd
    Bike to work 12 miles @ avg hr 111

Tuesday 23rd
    Bike home 12 miles @ avg hr 118

Wednesday 24th
    Bike to work 12 miles @ avg hr 113

Run
    Drills + 4.15 miles @ 11.23 avg hr 131
    It was chilly enough evening and I thought I'd just do 3 loops of the village but it turns out I was dressed just about right and it was a lovely evening for a run so I ventured a bit further making up the route as I went along, really enjoyed this run
    11:06 @ hr 129
    11:33 @ hr 131
    11:24 @ hr 129
    11:22 @ hr 134

Thursday 25th
    Had an early morning appointment in Eccles St this morning and instead of changing trains at Broombridge and hanging around waiting I just got off and walked in down the canal, nice brisk walk as the sun was coming up. Bang on 2 miles - doesn't really count I know 😃

Bike
    12 miles @ avg hr 114

Friday 26th
    Run 4.37 miles @ 10:40 avg hr 135 including 2X(4 x 30 sec strides with 2 min recoveries)
    Decided on Thursday evening that I was going to run part of the way into work for this one. Normally on a Friday I put the bike in the boot, drive so far and cycle the rest of the way as a sort of easy day (no horrible public transport and only the nicest part of the cycle to deal with!) so it was easy enough to just replace the cycle with a run in 😃. I have missed doing runmutes, I loved them and today was no exception. I spent ages programming the workout into the watch (not long enough it seems), carefully packing the backpack as light as possible.
    Parked the car and headed off through the PP as the sun was coming up, just beautiful with all the colours of the sky. It was very chilly but I knew it wouldn't take long to warm up. Instructions were to leave a mile between the sets of strides. Did the first mile and then the watch beeped for the first 30 seconds followed by 2 mins recovery and so on down Chesterfiled Ave. I didn't notice I'd only done 3 x 30 seconds at this point and carried on with the next 1 mile easy. About half way through this my stomach decided to play up but I was nearing Parkgate St and new there were a couple of Hotel options 😃. Quick pitstop and back out just as the 2nd set of strides buzzed on the watch, headed off down the Luas tracks as it's quieter than the quays. Did the strides and the recoveries which brought me almost to the office door. I knew I had messed something up in the last set of strides but didn't know what until I uploaded the run only to realise I had set it to repeat 3 times and not 4..... :rolleyes:. Anyway, Rome wasn't built in a day but the upshot is I loved this run and can't wait to include more runmutes in the future 😃 Happy Friday indeed!!!

Sunday 28th Jan
    Raheny 5 mile race (or as my watch says, 4.98 😉 )
    5 miles @ 9:37 avg HR 157...

Instructions for this was to run it steady and to a HR range of 150-155.. No problemo I thought, I'm just in it for the goody bag 😃 and having not been able to run it for the last 3 years in a row it was only going to be a 'taking part' exercise.
    Arrived very early for a non racing race :p, parked the car, got my number in an almost empty hall and mooched around thinking about whether to leave my bag back at the car or leave at the bag drop. Bumped into loads of people while wandering around including KennyG, Testosterone & Adrian, FBOT & Mrs Mac as well as some old club mates who were there early handing out leaflets for the DAC race in March. Decided to leave the bag in the car so did that and chilled for a bit before heading for a small warm up with drills before the race start. Had set the watch screen to read HR and distance and it wasn't very long before we were off. I was probably a little too far up but its so hard to know there, I know there were people who should have been further up stuck there too, I kept well out of everyone's way once we got going anyway.
    Off we went and I was keeping a good eye on the watch to make sure I didn't tear off like a hare. Got a shout out from Murph who was taking photos at the corner of somewhere and somewhere (have no clue what way we went!). Then spotted Laura as we were coming past the school and laughed as I saw her face trying to figure out who had called her name.
    Mile 1 8:54 HR 150 (gold star for me!).
    Anna came up alongside at some point in mile 1 and we chatted briefly, she very kindly offered to stay with me for the duration but I knew she would get frustrated at the pace which I was expecting to drop off as we went along and I told her to go on her way :).
    On we went and it was getting harder to keep my HR in check as people were passing me and I wanted to go with them (yes yes I should have started at the back!), FBOT & Mrs Mac had told me where they'd be stewarding so was keeping an eye out, I could hear M before I saw him, gave him a shout out but he was too busy and important to wave back ;), Mrs Mac made up for him a bit further down the road :D.
    Mile 2: 9:37 HR 158 (eh, oops).
    Was telling myself the whole way round, relax, enjoy this, I"m not racing, I've a target to stick to so just focus on that. To be honest it felt very easy even when the HR went over the prescribed pace when we went up a few drags, I was never really out of breath. Passed my aunts house on Mount Prospect and gave a shout out and then on into the park towards the out and back - again was tough enough to keep this steady as you're watching the streams of people coming back down the other side and I knew my pace had dropped significantly now without looking at it. Said hello and waved to Red Runner who was marshalling at the turn around. Passed the 4 mile sign and I started to think about just going for it 😃.
    Mile 3: 9:39 HR 156
    Mile 4: 10:10 HR 157...
    Decided I done well to stay more or less in target and not to mess it up now, Kept plodding along but at least now I was passing back a few people who'd gone out too fast. Came around to the green and I knew the finish was on the other side, stayed steady and then half way up the road said sure what harm and tore off like a hare 😃 felt great!! Came around the corner and pushed on through the finish line with 48:xx on the clock. I tried not to be disappointed by the time, I wasn't racing, time didn't matter today.... but oh so far off my PB of 42:5X!

Well done to everyone who raced today, lots of happy people back in the hall with PB's or great comeback times and lovely as always to catch up with everyone from these parts and the parkrun community. Patience is a virtue I was never blessed with but I"m learning :)

See you can listen:). It will be all worth it in the end, well done today, faster races to come in the future no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Sounds like you did exactly what you were supposed to! Shame I missed you. I left my bag in the hall at the school and headed back there after but didn't see anyone.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Sounds like you did exactly what you were supposed to! Shame I missed you. I left my bag in the hall at the school and headed back there after but didn't see anyone.

I think we were in the hall across from that where the teas & coffees were, congrats on your PB!!!! Fantastic result :). Catch you at the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good job on being good AM! Nice to see you back running the races, the pace will come back when you’ve got the go ahead to push it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great to see you back running and enjoying it AM good to catch up before and after :)

29th Jan - 3rd Feb

Monday 29th Jan:
    Recovery walk 2 miles at avg HR 87 bpm. Left the bike at home today to give myself a bit of recovery after Raheny - nothing to do with the bucketing rain :D.

Tuesday 30th Jan
    Bike 12 miles @ avg HR 106

Run 4 miles @ 11:09 avg hr 132 bpm, lunch run which is becoming a habit, out to Ringsend park and back, windy again. Brought all my runs forward a day this week to allow for weekend trip away.

Wednesday 31st
    Bike 12 miles @ avg hr 109bpm

Thursday 1st February
    Run: drills followed by 4 miles including 2 x (4x30 second strides with 2 min recoveries) 1 mile between sets.
    The run I should have done last week, properly this time :). Was working from home today so out early to get this done as the forecast was showing rain from lunchtime. It was a beautiful morning, cold but the sun was rising as I left the house. It gets harder to run at easy heart rate zone in the 2nd set of strides and I did have to walk a for a couple of seconds at the start of the last two recoveries. Perhaps the body was tired after Sunday or perhaps the antibiotics I'd finished the day before were finally taking their toll, nevertheless thoroughly enjoyed this.

Friday 2nd February

Bike 4.2 mile x 2 @ avg HR 110 & 133.....! Return leg home on the bike was pretty much at full tilt in the wind as was in a rush to get on the road to Cork.

Saturday 3rd February

Run: Total 6.6 miles including 3.1 miles Balllincollig parkrun.
    Couldn't miss out the opportunity to run Ballincolling while staying near Kinsale for the weekend. Had checked it out beforehand and it looked lovely. I had 6 miles to do with a pickup at the last 5 mins but as coach says when you have the opportunity to run with company it can bring different benefits. All the same I didn't want to stray too much from 'easy' HR zone. The run broken down as follows:
    1.5 miles @ 10:56 avg HR 136.
    3.1 miles @ 10:39 avg HR 144
    2 miles @ 10:45 avg HR 142

Headed from the car to the start line and a bit beyond, had hoped to get 2 miles in before the start to lesson the distance I'd have to run afterwards but didn't quite work out. The start was very busy with a few hundred runners but I still managed to spot a Cabinteely parkrun regular :D, ran a the last bit of the warmup with her and agreed to meet post run. 477 runners and a narrow enough start and first 1/2km but I was taking it easy so no problem for me. The sun was shining and I'd taken off my rain jacket just running in my 25 volunteer t-shirt. Took the opportunity to be a proper tourist and take in the beauty of the park, mountains in front of us, woods and river to the side. The run is 2 laps and plenty of volunteers out along the way to guide the runners. Thoroughly enjoyed this, very friendly parkrun (they all are of course!) and not a long Q for barcode scanning despite the high numbers. Met up with my Cabinteely friend for a cool down lap about 1.5 miles and a good ole chin wag, said my goodbyes and headed back to the car. So, longer than the 6 miles scheduled and a bit faster but thoroughly enjoyable and I'd visit again in heartbeat. Didn't get a chance to explore as much of the park as I'd been hoping, some historical sights to see but next time!

Followed up the weeks mileage with lots of walks around Kinsale, Farran Wood, Old Head beach Kinsale. The body is feeling a bit tired now but I had forgotten how beautiful the old *home county is and had an amazing weekend away in beautiful, peaceful surroundings. I think I appreciate things like that more in my old age - the city girl is learning to appreciate the countryside.....!

*ancestral!

Old age me hole, sounds like a lovely weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Nice touristing! Very much like that park (and Ballincollig in general), have done a few runs around and it’s nice spot for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry I didn't recognize you today!
    World of my own sometimes...

RayCun wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't recognize you today!
    You were going so fast you were just a blur.

FYP :D:D:D

Sorry I didn't stop for a chat, I just about manage to get my run done in my lunch hour!! #slowcoach

5th - 11th February

Monday 5th
    AM: Bike 12 miles @ avg HR 117, have no recollection of this but I think it was cold and slippy.

Tuesday 6th
    PM: Bike 12 miles @ avg HR avg HR 111

Wednesday 7th
    AM: Bike 12 miles @ avg HR 111

PM: Run: 4 miles with 1 min hard every 10 mins = 4.02 miles @ 10:45 avg HR 136.
    Did this at lunch time and for some reason when I set up the watch I choose HR zones for each section, so 'easy' zone for the 10 mins and threshold zone for the 1 min runs. Never again :rolleyes:. Firstly my watch seems to have reset my HR zones based on HR reserve instead of max - I've no idea when because I never set zones for run, I just watch the HR manually. Interestingly using HR reserve seems to give me much more leeway on 'easy' zone so according to my watch I was running too slowly because I was keeping my HR around 130/132 ish. I couldn't figure out why all the beeping until I got back and looked at Garmin Connect and spotted the 2nd column. Anyway, apart from the beeping this was very enjoyable, still pretty cold and the usual wind in my face on my way back up the quays. Spotted Raycun out for his run too.

Thursday 8th
    PM: Bike 12 miles @ avg HR 121 - a real stretch in the evenings and the sun was just setting as I went through the park - beautiful!

Friday 9th
    4 miles with 2x(3x45 sec strides with 2:30 recoveries) 1 mile between sets. = 4.45 miles @ 10:45 Avg HR for the run 138.
    Runmute. Woke up to a dusting of snow on the car, I knew it was to be cold but the footpaths were a bit slippy in places too and I wondered about postponing this until this eve. Decided if the paths in the park were very bad I could always run down the trails. Turns out they weren't too bad with only a few places I had to be careful, this was a beautiful run and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ran from Chesterfield Ave to work. Similar run to last week except longer strides (45 sec instead of 30) and only 3 sets instead of 4. Managed to do it properly this week :cool: although strava is giving me a pace of 6:33 for the last set of strides :p (the others are 8:xx). The legs were a bit stiff after this but a warm shower and some stretching seemed to sort them out.

Sunday 11th Feb
    Run 6 miles with 10 min pick up at the end to steady = 6 miles @ 10:35 avg hr 137.
    I had hoped to do this run on Saturday down in Donadea while out supporting but a dodgy stomach on Friday night /Saturday morning put paid to those plans, I'd had a dreadful sleep and was just plain tired so all plans for the day cancelled in favour of a lie on and and afternoon on the couch. Well done to everyone who made their 50K debut and thanks to Neady for keeping me updated on the goings on while she was playing the role of super supporter!
    Felt much better this morning so headed up to Hartstown Park for this. My house guest offered to walk Woody in the park while I did my run which would free up extra time in the day and meant I had a bit of company as I passed them at various stages on my laps. Jumped out of the car at the petrol station and jogged up to the park and started the first of 3 loops. It was cold but the merino wool tshirt I use for the bike was nice and warm under a light technical hoody. Kept the gloves on for the first 2 miles. Parts of the park were in the shade and had what felt like a north Atlantic gust blowing through it BIRRR! Pace for the HR in the first 3 miles was well under 11 min miles which I was delighted with, the 4 and 5th miles started to feel a bit harder into the windy sections so reduced the pace accordingly to reduce the HR. Instructions were to pick up for the last 10 mins to steady pace so when mile 5 beeped I knew I"d be close enough to 10 mins. Upped the pace and effort and tried to keep it around 155-160HR. The body objected a bit at first to the faster pace - my lower back is giving me a bit of trouble recently - but I tried to engage my core and concentrate on keeping good form for the faster pace. Another lovely run that I thoroughly enjoyed. Back home for a big feed of pancakes and bacon followed by some foam rolling and a few yoga stretches.

mile 1 10:33 avg HR 126
    mile 2 10:47 avg HR 134
    mile 3 10:43 avg HR 136
    mile 4 11:09 avg HR 138
    mile 5 11:07 avg HR 136
    mile 6 9:19 (pickup) avg HR 160

Another really enjoyable week of training :).

Total Bike 48.2 miles
    Total Run 14.5 miles

Good week, keep it going AM.

Monday 12th

Bike: 12 miles @ avg HR 108 - bitterly cold morning, had to walk the bike part of the way out of the estate and again over Boylans bridge where MCC hadn't bothered to ice the cycle lane they force us to use :rolleyes:. Still, the sunrise was worth the cold weather...

Tuesday 13th
    The plan said 'drills + 4 miles including 3 sets of 2 min, 1 min, 30 seconds steady with equal recovery w/ 5 min easy running between (about half mile warm up and cooldown).
    When I spotted this I did a little yipee :D, then I looked again and thought how the hec am I gonna program that into the watch!!! I worked on the assumption that 'equal recoveries' meant recover for the same length of time you ran - of course that may have been completely wrong.. Anyway, it seems you can't program in repeats with more than 2 lines and this one had 6 so I put them in manually, 3 times. I'm sure others would just have hit the lap button on their watch but that would have involved thinking, adding and running - nope. Anyway, I found it tougher than the HR suggests, I ran it mostly by feel with odd glance at the watch which was displaying HR screen. The last section was back up the quays into the usual blustery wind. I had to walk the first few seconds of a couple of the recoveries and you can see the recovery pace dropping as the session goes on. A bit of variance in the steady paces... !

1 0.50 mi 5:24 10:48 /mi 10:14 /mi 23 ft 123 bpm
    2 0.24 mi 2:00 8:18 /mi 8:34 /mi -24 ft 139 bpm
    3 0.18 mi 2:00 10:48 /mi 10:43 /mi -3 ft 138 bpm
    4 0.11 mi 1:00 8:29 /mi 8:26 /mi -3 ft 148 bpm
    5 0.09 mi 1:00 11:01 /mi 11:21 /mi -2 ft 140 bpm
    6 0.06 mi 30s 7:55 /mi 7:27 /mi -1 ft 145 bpm
    7 0.04 mi 30s 11:16 /mi 12:09 /mi 0 ft 151 bpm
    8 0.46 mi 5:00 10:51 /mi 10:45 /mi -7 ft 136 bpm
    9 0.21 mi 2:00 9:22 /mi 9:15 /mi 4 ft 148 bpm
    10 0.18 mi 2:00 11:09 /mi 10:39 /mi 10 ft 138 bpm
    11 0.11 mi 1:00 9:06 /mi 9:17 /mi -9 ft 150 bpm
    12 0.08 mi 1:00 11:52 /mi 11:48 /mi 0 ft 143 bpm
    13 0.05 mi 30s 8:52 /mi 8:07 /mi 5 ft 147 bpm
    14 0.04 mi 30s 11:16 /mi 11:28 /mi 3 ft 153 bpm
    15 0.44 mi 5:00 11:15 /mi 10:49 /mi 16 ft 137 bpm
    16 0.21 mi 2:00 9:11 /mi 9:10 /mi -5 ft 153 bpm
    17 0.17 mi 2:00 11:37 /mi 11:31 /mi -4 ft 140 bpm
    18 0.11 mi 1:00 8:43 /mi 7:51 /mi 16 ft 155 bpm
    19 0.07 mi 1:00 12:57 /mi 12:18 /mi 3 ft 148 bpm
    20 0.05 mi 30s 8:38 /mi 8:21 /mi -1 ft 154 bpm
    21 0.50 mi 5:49 11:38 /mi 11:38 /mi -19 ft 142 bpm
    22 0.07 mi 47s 10:34 /mi 10:36 /mi 4 ft 136 bpm

PM
    Bike 12 miles avg HR 115. Loving the brighter evenings, definitely makes the journey easier.

Wednesday 14th February
    Bike: 12 miles avg HR 111 - holy chryst! For the first time ever I was blown sideways off the cycle path and onto the grass in the PP, twice! Only I was going so slowly at the time I'd have fallen over completely but managed to get the foot down first.

Happy Valentines day to all :). I did a little reminiscing this morning [URL="Monday 12th Bike: 12 miles @ avg HR 108 - bitterly cold morning, had to walk the bike part of the way out of the estate and again over Boylans bridge where MCC hadn't bothered to ice the cycle lane they force us to use :rolleyes:. Still, the sunrise was worth the cold weather... Tuesday 13th The plan said 'drills + 4 miles including 3 sets of 2 min, 1 min, 30 seconds steady with equal recovery w/ 5 min easy running between (about half mile warm up and cooldown). When I spotted this I did a little yipee :D, then I looked again and thought how the hec am I gonna program that into the watch!!! I worked on the assumption that 'equal recoveries' meant recover for the same length of time you ran - of course that may have been completely wrong.. Anyway, it seems you can't program in repeats with more than 2 lines and this one had 6 so I put them in manually, 3 times. I'm sure others would just have hit the lap button on their watch but that would have involved thinking, adding and running - nope. Anyway, this went well although I found it tougher than the HR suggests, I ran it mostly by feel with odd glance at the watch which was displaying HR screen. The last section was back up the quays into the usual blustery wind. I had to walk the first few seconds of a couple of the recoveries and you can see the recovery pace dropping as the session goes on. 1 0.50 mi 5:24 10:48 /mi 10:14 /mi 23 ft 123 bpm 2 0.24 mi 2:00 8:18 /mi 8:34 /mi -24 ft 139 bpm 3 0.18 mi 2:00 10:48 /mi 10:43 /mi -3 ft 138 bpm 4 0.11 mi 1:00 8:29 /mi 8:26 /mi -3 ft 148 bpm 5 0.09 mi 1:00 11:01 /mi 11:21 /mi -2 ft 140 bpm 6 0.06 mi 30s 7:55 /mi 7:27 /mi -1 ft 145 bpm 7 0.04 mi 30s 11:16 /mi 12:09 /mi 0 ft 151 bpm 8 0.46 mi 5:00 10:51 /mi 10:45 /mi -7 ft 136 bpm 9 0.21 mi 2:00 9:22 /mi 9:15 /mi 4 ft 148 bpm 10 0.18 mi 2:00 11:09 /mi 10:39 /mi 10 ft 138 bpm 11 0.11 mi 1:00 9:06 /mi 9:17 /mi -9 ft 150 bpm 12 0.08 mi 1:00 11:52 /mi 11:48 /mi 0 ft 143 bpm 13 0.05 mi 30s 8:52 /mi 8:07 /mi 5 ft 147 bpm 14 0.04 mi 30s 11:16 /mi 11:28 /mi 3 ft 153 bpm 15 0.44 mi 5:00 11:15 /mi 10:49 /mi 16 ft 137 bpm 16 0.21 mi 2:00 9:11 /mi 9:10 /mi -5 ft 153 bpm 17 0.17 mi 2:00 11:37 /mi 11:31 /mi -4 ft 140 bpm 18 0.11 mi 1:00 8:43 /mi 7:51 /mi 16 ft 155 bpm 19 0.07 mi 1:00 12:57 /mi 12:18 /mi 3 ft 148 bpm 20 0.05 mi 30s 8:38 /mi 8:21 /mi -1 ft 154 bpm 21 0.50 mi 5:49 11:38 /mi 11:38 /mi -19 ft 142 bpm 22 0.07 mi 47s 10:34 /mi 10:36 /mi 4 ft 136 bpm PM Bike 12 miles avg HR 115. Loving the brighter evenings, definitely makes the journey easier. Wednesday 14th February Bike: 12 miles avg HR 111 - holy chryst! For the first time ever I was blown sideways off the cycle path and onto the grass in the PP, twice! Only I was going so slowly at the time I'd have fallen over completely but managed to get the foot down first. Happy Valentines day :). I did a little reminiscing this morning https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98727742&postcount=1540"]this day two years ago - the peak of my succes![/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Great to see these reports rolling in AM. Great work. They were wild sunrise gusts this morning. Amazing how quickly the weather system passed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

denis b wrote: »
    Great to see these reports rolling in AM. Great work. They were wild sunrise gusts this morning. Amazing how quickly the weather system passed over.

+1 to this, I doubt there's a person in the forum who isn't delighted to see you back running consistently and doing sessions :)

Happy Valentines day <3<3

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

What was this day two years ago AM? The link's not working for me.

• Advertisement

denis b wrote: »
    Neady83 wrote: »
    +1 to this, I doubt there's a person in the forum who isn't delighted to see you back running consistently and doing sessions :)

Happy Valentines day <3<3

Thanks both :o:).
    Mulberry wrote: »
    What was this day two years ago AM? The link's not working for me.

It's not working for me either any more for some reason - yeah it was just a link to my post from valentines day 2016 where I'd run 20 miles 10 @ steady pace in the Phoenix Park - the good ole days!! :D

Advertisement