Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good stuff, AM. S&C is something I need to be doing too (as I say at the beginning of every new year). Do you recommend a custom programme to target specific weaknesses, or something more generic to start with? What if you don't know where the actual weaknesses are? (Asking for someone's friend). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good stuff, AM. S&C is something I need to be doing too (as I say at the beginning of every new year). Do you recommend a custom programme to target specific weaknesses, or something more generic to start with? What if you don't know where the actual weaknesses are? (Asking for someone's friend). ;)

Given the restrictions, it might be hard to find someone to do a custom programme. I'll send you on the details of the PT I'm using, a runner who knows her stuff. Unless you have a specific recurring injury or problem a good running related S&C programme should more than suffice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Delighted to see this alive again!!! Best of luck with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Yay, she’s back! Delighted to see this, best of luck with the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Delighted to see this log back ! Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

Delighted to see this alive again!!! Best of luck with it :D
    Mulberry wrote: »
    Yay, she’s back! Delighted to see this, best of luck with the plan.
    Delighted to see this log back ! Keep up the good work.

Thanks folks :o good to be back! Here's hoping for a productive 2021!

Wednesday 30th December: Progression Run

Warm up: 5 mins @ 10:26 (downhill)
    Run 30 mins @ between 10:39-11:39, average pace was 10:42
    Run 10 mins @ between 9:39 - 9:59, average pace was 9:41
    Cool Down 8 mins @ 11:22

Distance: 5 miles
    Avg pace: 10:34
    Avg HR: 144

Enjoyed this thoroughly. Ran around the town and down to the flat park for two loops of that as I didn't want to end up doing the faster section up a hill. Stopped briefly in the easy section to snuggle a gorgeous 8 month old retriever/collie cross!

Thursday 31st December Strength Session:
    Warmed up on the turbo trainer for 10 mins first and then did two rounds 40 sec each exercise
    Burpees
    12kg kb deadlift
    12kb kb swings
    20kg barbell deadlift
    jumping jacks
    V sits
    Mountain climbers
    8kg goblet squats
    High knees

Aldi have some gym gear today so managed to snag a 12kg slam ball - yes!

Happy New Year folks!

31st December 2020: Strength session
    Warm up on the turbo trainer then two rounds 40 sec each of:
    Burpees
    12kg KB deadlift
    12kg KB swings
    20kg barbell deadlift
    Jumping jacks
    V sit
    Mountain Climbers
    8kg KB goblet squats
    Cool down

1st January 2021: Stride Repeats

4.02 miles @ 10:34 Avg HR 143
    Section|Time|Avg Pace
    Warm Up|5 min|10:28
    Strides|10x20sec|8:40
    Recovery|10x45sec|10:42
    Cooldown|15 min|11:12

The instruction for this was to run the strides between 150-200spm. As the countdown for each 20 sec started on the watch I began to increase my foot turnover and concentrated on fast feet and good form. The watch normally gives out to me during workouts for going too fast but not this time, a quick glance at the end of each section showed an average of 187 spm. Thoroughly enjoyed this, not too taxing and fun!

2nd January 2020: Easy 'Long' Run
    5.53 miles @ 11:09 avg HR 138
    The instruction was warm up 5 mins, 40 min run @ 10.39-11.39, optional 30 mins @ same pace, 5 min cool down. It was bitterly cold today with no sun to take the sting out of it and a lot of the footpaths in my first couple of miles were slippery so I was jumping down onto the road when I could. Also feeling a little tired so when I was nearing the turn for home I took it, giving me just over the hour. Not technically a long run but happy enough with that.

Total weekly mileage: 18.59 (which is very low by comparison to everyone else but I'm not worrying about anyone other than myself. That's 4 days running and two workouts and there's still tomorrow to squeeze in a cycle or hike! )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good to see you!
    Fair play - Boards getting a bit of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Fellow believer in the S&C here anyway :D
    Good to see this back up, looking forward to following along!

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Fellow believer in the S&C here anyway :D
    Good to see this back up, looking forward to following along!

So I see! It definitely makes a difference, certainly that's what I tell myself when I'm doing a 7am zoom class :D. Congrats on your log of the year win! Well deserved.
    Good to see you!
    Fair play - Boards getting a bit of life.

Thanks A, congrats on your #bestposterever win :pac:

3rd Jan, 3.30 mile Hike
    Cannon Sheehan Loop in the Ballyhouras is lovely, had run up here during the summer but hiked a shorter part of it today, bitterly cold but beautiful, last outing before back to WFH tomorrow.

4th Jan, 40 min easy run, 3.67 miles @ 11.10 avg HR 137
    I wore my Saloman trail runners as the paths were slippy even at lunchtime, and my Brooks are lethal even in just wet conditions, the shoes are not that comfortable though and it aggravated my Achilles, the PF was fine though, there seems to be a forward and back between the PF/Achilles!

5th Jan, Strength Training
    Online S&C class with push ups, mountain climbers, plank, v sits, burpees etc followed by:
    20kg deadlift x 10
    12kg russian twists x 10
    8kg goblet squats x 20.

Had planned to try a hang clean and press with the 20kg but that was just not going to happen...note to self, stop trying to do things because you see others doing them!!!! Still, really enjoyed the 20kg deadlifts, could definitely go for 30 before long.

6th Jan, Goal Pace Repeats, 4.67 miles @ 10:32 avg hr 142
    Instructions for were 15 min warm up followed by 4 x 5 mins @ 9.29-9.49, 3 mins recovery jog or walk, 15 min cool down.
    Headed to the nice park as the sun was just going down but brought the head torch as there's no lighting there. It was very cold today and I wanted to do this on paths that were reasonably flat with low risk of ice. I wore my Nike Pegasus 37 because the grip seems much better on them than the Brooks, unfortunately they really aggravate the PF at slower paces, during the faster sections my foot was fine! Paces as follows:

Warm up 1.38 miles @ 10.53
    5 mins @ 9:37
    3 mins @ 11:39
    5 mins @ 9:41
    3 mins @ 11:57
    5 mins @ 9:36
    3 mins @ 14.08
    5 mins @ 9:25
    3 mins @ 10:45
    Cool down .20 mile @ 11.02

Very happy with that, I did walk the beginning of the last couple of recoveries but otherwise this was very enjoyable, apart from the pitch dark that descended on the park towards the end of my 2nd last recovery. Decided I didn't feel comfortable so made my way out the back of the park into a housing estate for the last 5 min rep which I thought would slow me down considerably with icy paths and going up and down curbs but I see it was my fastest. Also didn't hear the watch beep so was still running @ pace for the first min of the recovery! At this point I was nearly back at the car and the temperature was dropping throughout my run so I ditched any idea of a 15 min cool down and just ended it there. I need to plan these better going forward!

I had planned to do this one at lunchtime today but managed to get a click and collect appointment in the local shoe shop which provided me with a lovely new pair of Mizuno trail runners - I know these are not supposed to be worn on the road but I will use them for frostier days and they seem much more comfortable than the Salomon so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

New shoes !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good idea about the trail shoes. I’ve done that before on icier days (wish I’d brought mine to DL). Anything for s bit of grip!

7th Jan Strength, 1 hour session

This was exactly what I was hoping for in these classes, I haven't remembered every exercise here, or the order. I think the reps were 60 sec each:

Pushups
    Burpees
    8KG goblet squats
    8kg wider squats
    8kg sumo squats
    5kg triceps dips
    Side leg raises with a very tiny (but thick) resistance band that I never want to see again - the BURNing in my hips/ITB was unreal, did separate sets of straight, forward and back raises.
    There were other exercises that I can't remember, must get a jotter and write these down as we're doing them.
    Felt fantastic after this

Jan 8th Cardio/Strength workout

I wanted to do 3 sessions a week, with Mon, Wed and Fri being running days I have to work out on one of them, so I chose Friday but forgot that the Thursday session is 6pm and the Friday one is 7am :rolleyes:. Luckily they are completely different in nature, this was all cardio/bodyweight moves, 2 rounds of 60 sec (not in order):

Jumping Jacks
    Inch worms
    Plank Jacks (my new fav exercise)
    Burpees
    Plank hops
    jogging on spot
    running on spot (faster)
    Hight knees
    shallow jumps
    higher jumps
    Tin man
    Again, I've forgotten some of them, again I loved this workout.

Jan 8th Easy Run 4.26 miles @ 11.08 avg HR 141
    With lots of ice around I decided my best option was to do this at lunchtime, for some reason I always tend to finish work later on a Friday so didn't want to be going out when it was freezing hard all over again. Not ideal after two workouts in a row but it was only an easy run! Wore the new trail shoes I bought for exactly this purpose and jogged tentatively down the hill and into the park, as soon as I got to the river I could run on the grass then. Paths were quite frosty/icy looking in places. I did two laps of the park all on grass and then two laps of the GAA pitch before turning for home. Following recent discussions on running form for easy runs I tried to pay attention to this while minding the foot. Running on grass is definitely better for it but my HR always goes up. Enjoyable run in the afternoon sunshine.

9th Jan 4.88miles @ 10:33 avg hr 143
    Woke up this morning with very sore calves, possibly from the new shoes or the running on grass yesterday....The title of this run on the plan is Progression Run, the instructions are; warm up 5 mins, 30 mins @ 10.39-11.39 pace then 10 mins @ 9:39-9:59 pace and 5 mins cool down. Which is not really a progression run! Again we have lots of frost and ice around so I waited until the temperature rose to 2 degrees and drove up to the GAA complex which I understood had a 'health walk' around it. When I got there the first thing I noticed was the total silence and the views of the surrounding hills - exactly my kind of location! The tarmac path looked pretty good with just a couple of sticky spots in places so off I set. I thought I'd try an actual progression run, this was the result:

Warm up 5 mins @ 10:53
    Mile 1 @ 10:46
    Mile 2 @ 10:30
    Mile 3 @ 10:45 (oops)
    Mile 4 @ 9:38
    Cool down 6 1/2 mins @ 11:27

With the sun shining and the stunning views I was in my element here. No dogs allowed so Bungy Girl would LOVE this :D. Children however are allowed and I got stuck at a couple of pinch points where I couldn't jump onto the grass to get around them. A good number of older couples out walking too. The path has flood lights so can be used for evening runs. I think you're supposed to pay a subscription of €25 a year which I wouldn't mind at all as it's a great amenity to have.

No long run on the plan this week - it's scheduled for Wednesday of next week I'm not sure why, I'm also not sure how I'm going to do a long run on a Wednesday eve!!! So mileage a bit low for the week

Total miles 17.49
    3 Strength workouts

No dogs allowed so Bungy Girl would LOVE this :D.

Poor Woody :D But what a great idea! I would pay good money for a dog-free zone to run in :). There's no escaping them at the moment, even on the track at Alsaa a few weeks ago a woman was doing a gym workout across lanes 7 & 8 while her mutt chased its tail across the rest of the lanes :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Poor Woody :D But what a great idea! I would pay good money for a dog-free zone to run in :). There's no escaping them at the moment, even on the track at Alsaa a few weeks ago a woman was doing a gym workout across lanes 7 & 8 while her mutt chased its tail across the rest of the lanes :rolleyes:.

Aren't dogs strictly banned on tartan? I understood their claws can do major damage...

^^^^just a reminder to all that this is a dog friendly log :D, no judgements, giving out or dog bashing allowed^^^^^

No doubt the owner is one of those self entitled idiots who think the rules don't apply to them (human bashing is very much allowed :D:D)

Hope all good in DAC R and that the lovely new tartan track is getting some (human) use despite the restrictions?

Mulberry wrote: »
    Aren't dogs strictly banned on tartan? I understood their claws can do major damage...

I've no doubt they are ! In fact I'm pretty sure there's a sign up. But at the moment the track at Alsaa is wide open and a free for all so etiquette (or even common sense) doesn't seem to apply. That said, the Alsaa track isn't exactly state of the art ; several lumps already taken out of it.

I've nothing against dogs, btw, and always happy to encounter a well-behaved one on a lead, but most runs now I'll come across several uncontrolled dogs off the lead and there will inevitably be dog poo somewhere along the route. it's off the scale compared to, say, this time last year.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I've no doubt they are ! In fact I'm pretty sure there's a sign up. But at the moment the track at Alsaa is wide open and a free for all so etiquette (or even common sense) doesn't seem to apply. That said, the Alsaa track isn't exactly state of the art ; several lumps already taken out of it.

I've nothing against dogs, btw, and always happy to encounter a well-behaved one on a lead, but most runs now I'll come across several uncontrolled dogs off the lead and there will inevitably be dog poo somewhere along the route. it's off the scale compared to, say, this time last year.

Like Woody? :P:rolleyes::o . Am in total agreement re off lead dogs (and those extendable leads!) and don't get me started on dog poo. Down here they've painted little white dogs on the pavements with a little white bag beside them in an effort to remind people to pick up after them - it seems to work although there are one or two regular offenders. Some of these people will have paid between €1,000 - €2,000+ for fido in the last year, the stories I've heard are unreal #lockdownpuppy.

• Advertisement

Monday 11th January 50 mins easy, 4,53 miles @ 11.02 avg hr 135 - Run by Feel test

This morning was lovely, I should have run then! It was mild but drizzly when I left for this after work. Decided to try my new found flood light GAA route and avoid the busy paths around the town. When I got there, there were about 5 cars in the car park so not too busy but not solo either. Unfortunately the lights were out in one whole section so as it got darker I had to leave that out completely and in the last 8/9 minutes it seemed to be just me with only one other car still there as I passed the car park. I wasn't sure what time the gates were locked at so ended up jogging around the car park for the last bit so I could keep an eye on things!

I switched the watch to HR only screen and did my best to run this by feel, I don't do enough of this, I use the watch all the time. Having read others logs about counting strides and doing math mid run (:eek:) I tried to settle into a rhythm and counted my steps per breath to see if I could get roughly the same pace per mile.

Mile 1: 10:50
    Mile 2: 11:04
    Mile 3: 11:06
    MIle 4: 11:09
    Mile 4.5: 11:03

The first mile I was cold and my HR was quite low so a tad fast, the 4th mile I was looking around trying to see if there was anyone still there and I stopped at one point to try and read the watch properly but otherwise I am happy with that result. I'll give the 60 min run by feel a go in the next week, I just need to find a suitable route and swap it with a run on the plan.

Like Woody? :P:rolleyes::o . Am in total agreement re off lead dogs (and those extendable leads!) and don't get me started on dog poo. Down here they've painted little white dogs on the pavements with a little white bag beside them in an effort to remind people to pick up after them - it seems to work although there are one or two regular offenders. Some of these people will have paid between €1,000 - €2,000+ for fido in the last year, the stories I've heard are unreal #lockdownpuppy.

Of course like Woody! The gold standard all dogs should aspire to :D.
    I like that idea of the painted reminders, is that a council initiative ? I'd be willing to wager that the higher the cost paid for the dog, the stronger the likelihood of the owner being a &*!^* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

I’ve a lot of catching up to do here but great to see this log going again!

January 12th Strength Training + 2 mile lunch walk

Warm up then:
    3 rounds of crunches, deadbugs & oblique crunches
    plank leg raises 30 sec
    elbow plank 30 sec
    8kg kb curtsey lunges x 12
    12kg kb curtsey lunges x 12
    3 sets of 7 push ups
    3 sets of 5kg bicep curls (ouch!)
    30 sec side plank push ups

5 x 12kg slam ball thrusters
    20 x 12kg kb swings
    Wobble board 60 seconds

January 13th, Goal Race Repeats, 4.17 miles @ 11.23 avg hr 136
    So this did not go to plan at all. The plan said warm up 15 mins then 10 mins @ 9:29-9:49, 5 mins jog recoveries, 5 mins @ 9:29-9:49, 3 min jog x 3 times, Cool down 15 mins.
    The weather forecast said it would be dry up to lunch time then rain and having gotten wet on my last few runs I decided to do this before work. Before Christmas I was fairly regularly doing morning runs but none in a month or so I think. Stayed up late finishing Keelin Shanley's book (and bawling my eyes out :(). I was a bit tired when the alarm went off but up and out and I don't remember feeling really bad for the 15 min warm up but as soon as the watch beeped for the first 10 min @ pace I struggled from the off. Normally the watch is telling me I'm too fast for these sections and I have to slow down but not today. I tried to push on but the body was not responding. I haven't looked at the splits until now and here they are:

Warm up 15 mins @ 10:45
    10 mins @ 10:16 (waaaaay off)
    5 mins @ 12:44 (jog/walk)
    5 mins @10:03
    3 mins @ 12:34 (jog/walk)
    5 mins @ 12:06 (!!!)
    3 mins @ 17:01 (crawled home)

Comments on Strava ranged from 'old age' (thanks B :rolleyes:) to 'early morning sessions are often harder', to 'change in temperature' to 'full moon'. I have not felt this bad on a run in a long long time. A stark contrast to how lovely Monday's run had felt and indeed, most of my runs recently. It could be any or all of the reasons suggested above and I have just parked it and moved on - more or less. I will keep an eye on my activity level, I could be doing too much with 4 runs a week and 3 workouts and maybe I ramped up to that too quickly. I am not a young wan any more as Oonegative constantly likes to remind me..

Jan 14th Strength + 2 mile walk
    Plank variations (shoulder taps, leg raises, crab walks, press ups & side planks) x 2 rounds
    8kg goblet squat thrusters x 2 rounds
    plank rows with 5kg weights (these are very hard!!)
    Leg raises with resistance band x 12 each (middle, front and back) these are getting easier and the burn is starting to decrease...
    Elbow plank shoulder taps 2 x 30 sec
    V sits x 12 x 3 rounds
    Plank jump outs 2 x 60 sec

Jan 15th Workout
    2 rounds, 45 sec each:
    Tin Man
    Split jumps
    jogging on spot
    side jumps
    rest 1 min
    Mountain climbers
    plank jumps
    V sit
    Plank jacks

I was supposed to run today too but needed to go into the office for an hour and had car NCT after work (fail!) so it would have been rushed and I decided to take a rest and push out the next 2 runs by a day.

16th January 45 mins including 12 x 20 sec strides, 4.20 miles @ avg HR 140
    I LOVE this workout. 15 mins easy from the house down to the Castle park, temperature cool and fresh but not freezing and the sun shining. A glance at the watch for each of the strides showed avg 187 cadence, the goal for these is 150-200. Met two of the Sanctuary runners out for a run so stopped to chat to them for a few mins. Had the company of a golden retriever trotting along side for a min or two followed by the most gorgeous cocker spaniel who thought it was great fun to sprint alongside me on a couple of the 20 sec sections :D, then Missy threw a fairly large stick at my feet looking to play as I was chatting. Lots of dog walkers out enjoying the nice weather. I was .37 mile from home when the watch beeped to say workout ended so I stopped and walked the last bit home. I've gone over the time on too many runs recently which all has an impact so sense will prevail from now on. Long run tomorrow is 80 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I think the best thing i have learned with time is that if a session goes bad it's not to dwell on it as i have in the past. See it for what it is but don't let it dictate the rest of the week. You did the right thing moving on from it, we all have bad days!

I think the best thing i have learned with time is that if a session goes bad it's not to dwell on it as i have in the past. See it for what it is but don't let it dictate the rest of the week. You did the right thing moving on from it, we all have bad days!

Absolutely! I just need to find a balance between worrying that every bad run is a sign of the graves returning and not paying any attention to my body like the good ole days :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Comments on Strava ranged from 'old age' (thanks B :rolleyes:)

I am not a young wan any more as Oonegative constantly likes to remind me...

Jaysis getting very sensitive in your old age.........

I think any of us who read here are well aware you’re far from an auld wan as I say, with the dedication and quality of training you are putting in AM. Your enthusiasm to a past time is hugely infectious and I’m delighted to see it knowing how you suffered since 2016. Keep it going.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Jaysis getting very sensitive in your old age.........

I think any of us who read here are well aware you’re far from an auld wan as I say, with the dedication and quality of training you are putting in AM. Your enthusiasm to a past time is hugely infectious and I’m delighted to see it knowing how you suffered since 2016. Keep it going.

Okay, you're forgiven :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Absolutely! I just need to find a balance between worrying that every bad run is a sign of the graves returning and not paying any attention to my body like the good ole days :pac:.

Ah that is slightly different & completely normal to worry a litle! You know your body so always good to listen to it :)

• Advertisement

17th January 80 mins easy = 7.19 miles @ 11:04 avg HR 136

Delighted with this. Made delicious banana pancakes for brekkie and a big mug of tea and out the door after a bit of foustering with downloading podcasts to the watch. Listened to this Hit Play Not Pause podcast (would recommend for women). It was cool enough that I needed a second sleeveless layer under my long top but not freezing or windy and the sun was out. Made my way around the outskirts of the town into the Castle Park for one full lap. Getting busy with buggy's so headed back out onto the roads for the rest of the run. For most of this I had the HR only displayed and was surprised to see it in the easy zone any time I glanced, the stats say I was in zone 1 for 10%, zone 2 for 67% and zone 3 for 17% so very happy with that.

Total mileage for the week is 20.1, which I'm really happy about especially given I cut the Wednesday run short. So progress is being made.

Miles: 20.1
    Strength: 2.16 hours
    Avg Resting HR 45

Advertisement