Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Monday: rest - just a couple of dog walks

Tuesday 2nd February

7am Strength class
    Warmup then:
    3 x sets:
    12 squats with resistance band
    30 sec elbow plank
    12 x criss cross sit ups
    2 x sets:
    6 press ups
    8kg single arm swings
    20kg deadlift
    cooldown

5.30pm run, 4.64 miles @ 11:18 avg hr 140elevation gain 150m
    The plan had a 45 min easy run so I decided to run a route I do fairly regularly but include some extra hills in it to see what sort of elevation I could build up (see February challenge thread). The problem is, there a gaps between the hills and any time not spent running uphill is a wasted opportunity! I'd probably have gotten a far better result if I'd run up and down the hill I live on for the 58 mins but hey, testing it out is all part of the fun :). I do have a better option, the route I did for Run the Line virtual back in November brings me up to the only 'mountain' in my 5k radius. I did have to walk briefly after powering up a few of the hills, it's definitely not an easy challenge and my left hip was very unhappy when I got up this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Monday: rest - just a couple of dog walks

Tuesday 2nd February

7am Strength class
    Warmup then:
    3 x sets:
    12 squats with resistance band
    30 sec elbow plank
    12 x criss cross sit ups
    2 x sets:
    6 press ups
    8kg single arm swings
    20kg deadlift
    cooldown

5.30pm run, 4.64 miles @ 11:18 avg hr 140elevation gain 150m
    The plan had a 45 min easy run so I decided to run a route I do fairly regularly but include some extra hills in it to see what sort of elevation I could build up (see February challenge thread). The problem is, there a gaps between the hills and any time not spent running uphill is a wasted opportunity! I'd probably have gotten a far better result if I'd run up and down the hill I live on for the 58 mins but hey, testing it out is all part of the fun :). I do have a better option, the route I did for Run the Line virtual back in November brings me up to the only 'mountain' in my 5k radius. I did have to walk briefly after powering up a few of the hills, it's definitely not an easy challenge and my left hip was very unhappy when I got up this morning.

Was that the hill run or the band squats and dead lift earlier that day? :confused:

Fair play giving it a go, and although its a tough challenge, approaching they way you are is only adding fun to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GarySmith

It’s really nice to know you started this and your AIS persistency is amazing, all the timing and approach towards the daily routine is also fantastic, appreciate the planning you made on paper to implement to accomplish the very good results which you wish to achieve. Also good to know that you are enjoying the tasks such as AIS, you didn’t like earlier maybe it was so simple to do which made you not like it earlier. Also, that’s awesome you not missing your jog even if it’s raining and you getting time for a run and enjoying tremendously by heart. All the best and wish you good luck with good health.

Wed 3rd Feb, Fitness Test

PT sent on a list of things to do in 60 sec so I can see where I am now and measure progress. Pity I didn't do these last year when I started the classes. I did think the results would be better but then I seem to think I'm 20 and don't have any issues with hormones :rolleyes:

I did a couple of mins skipping and the usual class warm up then (in this order as instructed):

How many can you do in 60 Sec
    Push ups x 12
    Parallel squats x 23

How long can you hold:
    Elbow plank = 65 secs
    Wall sit = 60 sec :rolleyes: (shotgunmcos and his 20 mins target is a bit away yet....!)

How many in 60 sec:
    Burpees = 17

I videoed myself doing this to send on to the PT which turned out to be a well worth exercise because I could see myself mistakes that I was making. Dipping my hips in press ups, wrong head position for plank. I also only gave myself one min rest between each and was advised I could have taken way more recovery. Oh well! Lessons learned anyway.

Thurs 4th February, Speed Repeats 4.85miles @ 11:18 avg hr 135
    Instructions for this were 15 min warm up then 12 x 1 min @ 8:44-9:04, 1 min recovery and 5 x 7:59-8:19 x 1 min recovery, cool down 15 mins.

Did this in my lunch hour so just jogged down to the near by railway road which is flatish and suited the purpose of the run. Every time I went out in the first 12 reps the watch was beeping 'pace high' so basically I knackered myself before getting to the 5 faster reps. There is a drag in one direction and a strong wind in the other. I walked the recoveries.

8:24
    9:32
    8:32
    9:32
    8:11
    9:15
    8:24
    9:06
    9:13
    8:48
    8:47
    8:56
    5 x 'faster' set:
    8:18
    8:40
    9:15
    8:31
    8:38

So I kind of did the session backwards... for a few of the first set I stopped before the 60 sec was up which dragged down the pace. I got home knackered and bit upset that this was way harder than I thought it should have been, but what do I expect? I have to learn to not go out like a hare on these, it does a lot more harm than good and I need to remind myself that I am not 20. I also have to stop comparing myself to others and work with where I am. Patience and consistency will show improvements, beating myself up and doing too much will have the opposite affect.

Friday 5th February HITT class 3 rounds
    30 sec medium / 20 sec hard / 20 sec rest
    Tinman / split jumps
    Jog / shallow squat jump
    Tinman / high knees
    Jumping jacks / plank jacks
    Press ups / plank jumps
    Mountain climber / plank jumps

Happy Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great point about the video. Must shoot my own workout for comparison against the youtube instructor’s description of what it should look like.

That was a good session despite your reservations. Getting the pace right from the beginning is an art form and there’s no harm in starting a bit slow. Doing Mick Clohisey’s sessions at the club, we were always encouraged to treat the first rep as a tester, easing into it. And your drag/wind combination also makes the numbers a bit meaningless. How you felt about the effort is more important - we always know when we haven’t worked as hard as we should have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'm massively impressed that you can do 12 push ups, never mind 12 in 60 seconds!! :eek:

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great point about the video. Must shoot my own workout for comparison against the youtube instructor’s description of what it should look like.

That was a good session despite your reservations. Getting the pace right from the beginning is an art form and there’s no harm in starting a bit slow. Doing Mick Clohisey’s sessions at the club, we were always encouraged to treat the first rep as a tester, easing into it. And your drag/wind combination also makes the numbers a bit meaningless. How you felt about the effort is more important - we always know when we haven’t worked as hard as we should have!

Thanks D, that's good advice to ease into the first one, I think if I could get a feel for what the pace is like it would help massively. Definitely didn't think I wasn't working as hard as I should :D. Effort wise, the fact that I had to walk the recoveries tells the tale there and they were not supposed to be flat out sprints.
    eyrie wrote: »
    I'm massively impressed that you can do 12 push ups, never mind 12 in 60 seconds!! :eek:

Ah thanks! Actually that is one thing I can measure progress on, when I started these classes I couldn't do one push up, I'd been doing the kneeling version for years (and incorrectly too) thanks for the reminder that I am in fact making some progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the session! I'm sure you've heard the saying comparison is the thief of joy...I have to remind my self of this at times like most people on here i'm sure. If anything I have learnt since the 1st lockdown is that if I give my best to what I am doing or trying to achieve then I really don't need to worry that I'm no better than the next person.

I am terrible for doing my reps too fast as S will fully agree, he'd sometimes ask what was I thinking? This time around with my base training I'm trying to focus on a few things now that I have speed sessions introduced back in. Like this week I really wanted to keep it consistant & not go out too fast, I also worked on keeping a good form whilst doing them. They were a lot more consistant than a lot of my previous speed reps so I was happy with that, still more improvements to make but I will do it session after session & hope it then becomes natural to me. Also 4 of my were into a strong headwind & I had to be careful here not to chase the beeps so much that they left me exhausted, again this is learning about what effort i'm working at.

As Murph said the 1st one is good to use as your tester & to gauge the best approach :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

eyrie wrote: »

Yeah, I'm massively impressed with this. They are so difficult, even for men.

I'm also impressed with you being able to do intense routines on same day as running without feeling really stiff and sore. A sure sign you're fit.

Well done on the session! I'm sure you've heard the saying comparison is the thief of joy...I have to remind my self of this at times like most people on here i'm sure. If anything I have learnt since the 1st lockdown is that if I give my best to what I am doing or trying to achieve then I really don't need to worry that I'm no better than the next person.

I am terrible for doing my reps too fast as S will fully agree, he'd sometimes ask what was I thinking? This time around with my base training I'm trying to focus on a few things now that I have speed sessions introduced back in. Like this week I really wanted to keep it consistant & not go out too fast, I also worked on keeping a good form whilst doing them. They were a lot more consistant than a lot of my previous speed reps so I was happy with that, still more improvements to make but I will do it session after session & hope it then becomes natural to me. Also 4 of my were into a strong headwind & I had to be careful here not to chase the beeps so much that they left me exhausted, again this is learning about what effort i'm working at.

As Murph said the 1st one is good to use as your tester & to gauge the best approach :)

Yep, you're absolutely right. I just need to remember to go out easy before I tear off :rolleyes: maybe write it on my hand or something...
    API wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm massively impressed with this. They are so difficult, even for men.

I'm also impressed with you being able to do intense routines on same day as running without feeling really stiff and sore. A sure sign you're fit.

You didn't see me trying to get out of bed on Wednesday morning :D:D:D. Not entirely sure I'll keep with the two workouts on one day method, what I gain in recovery is wiped with the double workout the next day. I'm sure there's a balance there somewhere, I just need to find it!!!!!

• Advertisement

Yep, you're absolutely right. I just need to remember to go out easy before I tear off :rolleyes: maybe write it on my hand or something...

You didn't see me trying to get out of bed on Wednesday morning :D:D:D. Not entirely sure I'll keep with the two workouts on one day method, what I gain in recovery is wiped with the double workout the next day. I'm sure there's a balance there somewhere, I just need to find it!!!!!

The only thing I can think of is to do the double workout and the next day take as a day off.

There were two runs left on the plan for this week, a 30-45 min easy run depending on how you're feeling and Goal Pace Repeats with 10 min, 7 min and 4 min @ pace. I did neither of these.

Saturday 6th Feb easy run 2.30 miles @ 11:03 avg hr 136
    Every time I looked at the watch it was showing me in the aerobic zone, the stats say 8 min in zone 3 v 12 mins in zone 2 so that confirms it, despite the average being low. I wasn't in the humor for this, confirmed by how irritated I was by everyone else who was in the park at the same time, well, not everyone but families taking over the whole path, kids on scooters and those ridiculous wiggle things :rolleyes:, still cranky it seems... not their fault. I stopped the watch when I was half way round my second lap and decided to just walk, so part B was a 1.59 mile walk and I took a few photos around the Castle for good measure. Felt a bit better then and less ratty.

Sunday 7th February jog/hike 3.50 miles @ 150m elevation gain
    It was baltic and drizzly and I decided I wasn't putting myself through a goal paced run in the bitter cold. So I opted to jog/hike up our nearest hill (only one in the 5k range). I've been up here before, I ran from the town up around the hill for my virtual Run The Line but hadn't the energy to try that today so I drove up to the parking spot and wrapped up well This is a mountain of two parts, one with wide open fire roads and very exposed to the bitter wind, the other a rocky/muddy/narrow forest trail where you get warm quickly. I wasn't going for speed or effort, I just wanted to move in the fresh air and try and shake this ever decreasing mood that seems to have descended in the last week. I did enjoy this, the drizzle stopped just as I got out of the car and I met a few others up there so wasn't completely isolated.

Anyway, literally no more to gain elevation wise from the run I did around the town, I have one more trick up my sleeve before I throw the towel in on the February challenge though.

The forecast for next week is fairly brutal and I'm considering taking the week off running. Might just wrap up well and walk every day to get some air. The mood is very low today, I'm still very tired but it feels more mental than physical. No harm in some down time, I've been doing a lot in recent months and am happy with the overall improvement in strength and fitness so not a lot to lose from a little bit of downtime. Also had another trip to the physioterriorist who did some more good work and sent me off with another set of exercises - it would stand to me to concentrate on those!

Are you coming back tomorrow?

I was thinking about you and your exercises while I was out running this evening.
    Have you thought about how you are going to balance running and the strength days?

If you come up with a plan let me know.
    I was hoping to work more lower body exercises into the week but its very difficult for me to do this without it affecting me for the next two days.

The only way I see it is doing them after a run where the next day is free and day after is easy. At least until I get fitter.

API wrote: »
    Are you coming back tomorrow?

I was thinking about you and your exercises while I was out running this evening.
    Have you thought about how you are going to balance running and the strength days?

If you come up with a plan let me know.
    I was hoping to work more lower body exercises into the week but its very difficult for me to do this without it affecting me for the next two days.

The only way I see it is doing them after a run where the next day is free and day after is easy. At least until I get fitter.

Priortise whatever is most important to you, if that's running then yes I think run first and strength later and you're right to look at ways to incorporate now and adapt later when fitness improves.

I haven't come up with a plan yet, the weather is horrendous at the moment and I enjoyed my week off so I'm not rushing out in the wind and rain!! I just did strength training and yoga last week with a few walks thrown in. Definitely feeling less tired but equally there's a good deal of stress so I'm trying to manage that too. I will likely go back to running and strength on different days and reduce the intensity of - probably doing more easy and steady runs and just build the mileage first and intensity later.

I had an interesting conversation with my physio last week, she pointed out that it's very difficult for most of us to do anything resembling a recovery run, that every run I do, even at 'recovery pace', has some aerobic affect and therefore not technically recovery. It's different if your Kipchoge doing 10 min miles! She suggested a brisk walk would be far more beneficial, or get out on the bike. It made me think a little differently about running plans and the real v perceived impact.

Might go for a run in the morning if this wind stops howling!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Excellent point from your physio.

Priortise whatever is most important to you, if that's running then yes I think run first and strength later and you're right to look at ways to incorporate now and adapt later when fitness improves.

I had an interesting conversation with my physio last week, she pointed out that it's very difficult for most of us to do anything resembling a recovery run, that every run I do, even at 'recovery pace', has some aerobic affect and therefore not technically recovery. It's different if your Kipchoge doing 10 min miles! She suggested a brisk walk would be far more beneficial, or get out on the bike. It made me think a little differently about running plans and the real v perceived impact.

Might go for a run in the morning if this wind stops howling!

I was just watching a video of an Olympian runner last night who has shin splints at the moment and shes substituting cycling for running. She said herself if you time how long one mile of running is worth for cycling and put in the equivalent effort on the bike for tempo or intervals for example. Then when you're better you can pick up the running from where you left off easily enough.
    For her 1 mile of running was worth ten minutes on the bike at the wattage she was doing it at. No point in putting that in here since her time and efforts are irrelevant.

I'd say the same with a walk and a recovery run. Put in the same effort without the impact and you have the same result.

8th Feb - 21st Feb

Strength training, HITT workouts, yoga, walks and 2 hikes.

Monday 22nd February, 3.25 miles avg 11:38 avg HR 132

The rain has finally stopped here although I believe it's coming back with a bang tonight... Really enjoyed this, jogged along, no earphones. Sun was rising and the birds were happy out. Just watched the HR and then pressed the lap button as I reached the hill home and walked up it.

Energy levels are coming back, I started Vit D3 a week ago and am getting some nutrition advice from a nurse/nutritional therapist/runner which is also making a difference to how I'm feeling. Turns out when you hit a certain age milestone (or thereabouts) and you're a woman, you need to do things differently and not fueling your exercise properly has the opposite to the desired effect! It's a work in progress..

Blood results are all good apart from Vit D which was very low so I'll be going on feel for a while more. #listentothebody.

Thought I'd have gotten in another Feb challenge attempt yesterday but opted for a hike in the beautiful sunshine instead and it was worth it.

23rd February 7am, 40 mins Strength

warm up then:
    Lateral low jumps 2 x 12
    V sits, sit ups, oblique sit ups 2 x 12
    Squats with 12kg KB 2 x 12
    Plank series x 2:
    walk outs x 2
    push ups x 2
    shoulder taps x 2
    knee drives x 2
    leg raises x 2
    side plank
    Lateral leg raises, middle, front & back x 12
    Plank rows with 2.5kg weights x 12
    Burpees with push ups mid burp (yeah, cause today wasn't hard enough :D)

24th February 40 mins Strength "Tri Harder"

Warm up then 2 rounds (40 sec on 20 sec off)
    Squats
    Jump Squats
    8kg weighted squats

Oblique Crunches
    V Sits
    Mountain Climbers

Elbow plank
    side plank
    straight arm plan
    Tough*as*F*ck!

Feb 25th 4.34 miles sociable run

Met a new friend who had tried out the running club but felt she was too slow so agreed to meet after work for a run/walk. She had been running too fast (shock horror) so wasn't able to sustain it. We ran the first 3.3 miles (with one tip toe through the mud across a field..) then she said she'd stop and walk for a while so we jogged/walked back from the park. Really enjoyed it, it made me slow down which is never any harm and it was nice to meet someone new. We both wore masks and stayed about 1.5m apart.

February 26th HITT 40 mins

warm up then: 2 rounds 20 sec on 20 sec on 20 sec off
    Tin man/Jog/High knees
    Ski jump with back lunge/lateral jumps
    3 rounds 30/30
    Straight arm plank to elbow plank / mountain climbers
    Criss Cross / plank jump outs
    V sit / plank jacks

February elevation challenge 4.33 miles @ doesn't matter!! elevation 292m

I decided to do this at the last minute as I was leaving the house so I was a little ill prepared mentally and possibly physically too (see workout above!). I live on a hill, a big hill that is steeper in some parts than others so I thought I'd go down to the end bit which is quite steep and start there and then move up closer to the house to the other steep bit. I ran the first 5 reps up and down and then started to slow jog with some walk breaks uphill, I think I did about 7/8 reps in the lower end and then jogged up to the second section and did about 5 more reps I think, maybe more. I was feeling very fatigued towards the end and my legs were like jelly when I was running back down the hill at that stage but still I'm kicking myself that I didn't do another two reps, I could have gone over 300m but hey ho! I did 3 hill runs in February for this challenge so that's 3 great workouts!

February 28th Hike 3.5 miles in 1 hour
    Up to the local forestry for this, I'm going to replace one run with a hike each week as a recovery workout (weather permitting), after all 3.5 miles is 3.5 miles... beautiful day, took Woody with me, medicine for the soul.

February 29th Bike 12.3 miles
    I'm in the Axa Community Rides group for Mallow and we haven't been able to get out together for a bike ride obviously so one of the lads suggested we do an individual cycle and stop midway at 11am for a coffee and group zoom call - headed out the door at 10.30 as it was 25 mins to my planned coffee stop, one of the other guys who lives near me was planning the same stop so we got our coffee and chatted on our separate phones more than 2m apart on the zoom call :D. It was a great idea and oh boy, what a day for it!!!! I should have stayed out longer but had arranged for brunch at home so headed back. Out later in the day for a few miles walk in the park with Woody and sat at the river for a while in the sun soaking up the rays, fingers crossed we get this kind of weather for the next few weeks!!!!

So not a huge amount of running but plenty of movement, did some yoga stretches at my desk in bits and bobs during the week but didn't get in a full session. The Vit D is definitely helping, as is the change in the type of foods I'm eating (increase in phytoestrogen foods, more plant based proteins, more protein in general).

1st March 7.15am

Yoga with Adrienne, 15 mins, enjoyed this, must remember to do weekly. Followed by:

5pm 3.36 miles @ probably best not to go there...

Headed out for a run after work, but was pretty wiped so just a very easy recovery jog with bits of walking.

2nd March 7am S&C

12kg weighted heel raises 2 x 60 sec
    12kg goblet squats 10 x 2
    Push ups 3 x 20 sec (8, 7, 7)
    Elbow plank x 30 sec
    Core ‘Tri’ 2 rounds:
    10 crunches
    10 oblique crunches
    10 v sits
    Plank 30 sec
    Plank with - random arm/leg raises as called out
    Plank with - just arm raises called out
    Arm work with 3kg weights: forward raises, side raises, bent row

5pm 4.63 miles
    As last week, ran this with company, again we ran 5k and then she wanted to stop and walk the rest. My message about slowing down so you can run further didn’t sink in and I didn’t bother to reiterate it, was feeling tired myself anyway so it suited me fine.

3rd March Lunch Run, 3.01 miles @ 10:48
    Solo run, no commentary on strava so can’t remember but most like enjoyable run in the sun (although cold!)

4th March 6pm S&C
    Weights!!!! Not enough weights for my liking in general but I understand that the class needs to cater for everyone, loved this. Warm up then
    3 rounds:
    5kg Tricep dips
    12kg KB deadlifts
    12kg side stretches each side
    3kg overhead press
    3kg bent over row
    Jump squats
    Oblique curls
    Round 1 - 12 push ups, round 2 Mountain climbers, round 3 burpee with push up
    Elbow plank
    12kg squats
    Deadbugs

March 5th 7am HITT
    3 rounds 40 secs on, 20 off
    Squats
    Squat jumps
    Side jumps with back leg curtsey (aka skater jump)
    Squats (touch the ground)
    Jogging
    Side jumps
    Jogging
    Skater jump (touch the floor)

Sunday 7th March 3.85 mile hike
    Was not well at all yesterday, I was exhausted and really dizzy. Dr. Google is saying this I’ve noticed that I feel dizzy when i do the warm up neck rolls for the S&C class. So no run on Saturday and decided to hike in the mountains as Sunday was so nice. Beautiful views, lots of doggie friend adventures for Woody (and us!). Neck feeling better today after some voltorol and making sure the posture was good throughout the day. Will monitor this, may need a physio at some stage if it doesn’t ease.

Very little running going on here I know and this is a running forum but will be back in action soon I hope. We have a steps challenge in work and I’m a team captain, delighted that we were leading on Friday afternoon, steps for the week 106,516 which include all the dog walks/lunch walks etc that I don't log.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Ive started doing some of the Yoga with Adrienne myself. My motivation was to include a lot of different type sessions after a look at ballet training of a pro ballet dancer during lockdown. 7-8 sessions per day including a few mini Yoga/Pilates type. I'm trying to emulate a little during lockdowm and Adriene got the Yoga gig ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey AGYR! Thought you and any other Yoga enthusiast might like these.

I've posted links to YWA plenty of times and still on day 8/30 of her breathe program.

However got these Yoga Flow cards as a pressie at the weekend and they are cool. Take 1 card to hold poses for a minute each as 5min away from the desk. Or combine cards to create your favourite flow..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I've posted links to YWA plenty of times and still on day 8/30 of her breathe program.

However got these Yoga Flow cards as a pressie at the weekend and they are cool. Take 1 card to hold poses for a minute each as 5min away from the desk. Or combine cards to create your favourite flow..

Those cards look great. I'm taking 5 mins out every 30mins and trying to do yoga/core etc. Those cards would be handy...

Fantastic idea, any idea where they were purchased? Google gives me a few options but they don't look like yours.

Monday 8th March, Fitness Test

I did this on 3rd Feb so this was a follow up, I wasn't expecting much TBH but was really delighted with the results. The consistency is paying off in the S&C at least!!

How many can you do in 60 sec:

Pushups 20 (up from 12)
    Parallel Squats 40 (up from 23)

How long can you hold:

Elbow plank 2:05 (up from 1:05)
    Wall Sit 1:50 (up from 60 sec)

How many can you do in 60 sec:
    Burpees 20 (up from 17)

Done in this order as per the last test. Some of the others in the class have two or three times these numbers (they are at their 10 week test, I'm at my 5 week test) so this gives me confidence to keep going. Must remind myself how to do a table...

March 9th 7am Strength class

Mostly crunches, obliques, plank with hand/leg raises, side leg raises, some work with arms/weights and finished with 3 sets of 10 burpees.

March 10th 7am, 2.54 miles

Went out for a morning run but wasn't feeling the love, stopped and walked the last half mile home.

March 11th 5pm 3.52 miles

This was a brisk walk, plugged in the earphones and enjoyed being out in the fresh air, no judement.

March 12th 7am HITT

Jesus! The ante was certainly upped this week, lots of squat jumps, deep squat jumps, jumping lunges, deep lunges + more, about 4 rounds I think - legs have still not fully recovered from this one, the BURN :eek:.

March 13th, 10am 1.86 miles
    Another walk, had planned about 4 miles but just under half way the beautiful sunshine disappeared and I was Asterix! Sheltered in Lidl and waited to be rescued. I don't mind getting wet but this was biblical and actually I'd have been better off if I'd been running :rolleyes:

March 14th, 10.30am, 5.05 miles hike, 785ft
    The wind was a little chilly for parts of this but thoroughly enjoyed having the cobwebs blown away and the views were epic.

March 15th, 7am, 3.15 miles avg hr130
    Felt refreshed this morning so decided to walk the dog first and then go for an easy jog. Put in the earphones and listened to my new playlist courtesy of everyone on the playlist thread that threw up loads of super suggestions.

I am being coached by a health and wellbeing coach who is also a nutritionist and a runner and we've been talking about attitudes, comparisons and compassion when exercising. I've always been hard on myself, ever since I can remember I've compared myself to others and come up short (literally!), too fat, too slow, too short etc etc and I'm still doing it 40+ years on. Starting now, I'm going to be kinder to myself. I want to able to go for a run because I love running and relax and not worry about paces or what other people will think of those paces. I'll also walk bits every now and then if the HR goes over 140 which will also help with the foot/achilles/general aches and pains. So everything will be by feel, if I'm feeling good, i'll go with that, if I'm tired, I'll take it easy, no plan, just feel it. I had made some good progress with the Garmin Coach plan I was doing for the last few months so those gains are still in the background. I won't be doing the March challenge though.

I also cleaned up my strava list, turns out there were a few people following me that I didn't recognise, took myself out of multiple cubs too as hadn't considered that people in there could see my runs even if they weren't followers. Holly Ryan's story as told on Susan Keogh yesterday shocked me, mainly because she did everything I'd have done and she was still attacked, which means what? We can make ourselves as safe as possible, all the little things we do like not run in particular areas in the dark, look around regularly to see who else is out there, cross the road or go into strangers driveways to avoid potential danger, talk to 'noone' on your phone, carry your keys in your hand so you have something sharp and the list goes on, and still not be safe. I don't scare easily and I'm not a nervous type but I do do all these things and more. Holly speaks very articulately about what we need all men to do to help keep us safe, have a listen if you didn't hear her and stay safe folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Will listen to this....have to say that attacks stuff really saddens me of what sort of world we live in, I just can't understand why people can't simply leave other people alone. What must be in someone to carry out such heinous acts on people. Talking to my wife about it the other day, it was probably 11:30 at night and I just said to her that if I wanted to go for a run now almost anywhere (certainly where we live in the countryside) I would be fine but it's just not the same for women, many of who won't run alone even in the bright of day. It just saddens and depresses me how utter crap this world have created for ourselves can be on simply preventable things if man and I mean men in this case could just be better humans. Nothing got to do with religion but just think treat others as to how you would like to be treated goes an awful long way in how to live your life.

Monday 15th March

7am run 3.15 miles 36 mins avg HR 130
    Nice morning recovery jog, legs a bit tender after the hilly hike yesterday

8pm, Strength workout, 55 mins
    Warm up then 3 x 10: Squats, curtsey lunges, pressups, sit ups, oblique sit ups, mountain climbers elbow plank and burpees.

Tuesday 16th March

7am Strength 40 mins
    3 Circuits, 40 sec each exercise: Burps, Reverse plank, V sits, mountain climbers, elbow plank with arm taps, dead bugs, plank crabs, criss cross

Walk 6.50pm: 3.34 miles, 57 minutes
    Beautiful evening, sun was setting down by the river. Also had done 2.30 miles earlier in the day with Woody so 5.64 miles in total

Wednesday 17th March Off work for the rest of the week yay!

Bike 11am, 13 miles.
    Beautiful day although misty and cool earlier on so waited for a bit of heat in the sun before heading out for this, very enjoyable with a quick stop in Dromahane to join the Axa group zoom call briefly.

Walk 2pm: 3 miles
    Still had to get my steps in for the day, can’t let the team down (being the captain n all) and 13 miles on the bike = zero steps :rolleyes:

Thursday 18th March

9.50am Yoga with Adrienne 35 mins
    Walk: 12pm 2.67 miles running errands
    Run: 3.20pm 3.16 miles, 34 mins avg hr 138.

This was intervals of 4 mins on, 1 min off, no prescribed pace, just by feel @ steady effort. Was bitterly cold starting off (me, not the temperature) so was overdressed for this, had the part mostly to myself, enjoyable and nice and warm by the time I was done!

Friday 19th March

7am HITT class, 45 mins
    Ski jumps, side jumps, JOS, squat side jumps, deep squat jumps, JOS x 3 rounds 40/20
    Plank to elbow plank, Criss cross, V sit, Mountain climbers, push ups x 3 rounds 40/20
    Back was niggling a lot this morning driven by the straight arm to elbow planks and had to take a few mini breaks during some of the 40 sec sets. Found this harder than it should have been.

11am 4K hike, 525ft 58 mins
    First 1.5 miles 100% uphill, beautiful views though and not another sinner on the mountain today. Tired though, came home and snoozed on the couch for few hours with the dog, couldn't get warm.

Niggle update: foot / Achilles still niggling away, some days it's better than others. Neck also still causing me issues, have stopped doing the neck rolls at the start of the strength classes and just move it from side to side which is better. The foam roller is out! I might even use it.... :pac:

Runs: 2,
    Strength/HITT: 3
    Yoga: 1
    Walks/Hikes: 4
    Bike: 1

Sunday 21st March

Run, 6 miles @ 11.24 avg HR 138

Longest run in a while using the Geoff Galloway run/walk strategy of breaking up the run with 1 min walks every now and then, skipped most of them but found the ones I did really helpful with the foot which continues to give out randomly throughout. Will book a physio appointment next week for the neck as yesterday's flair up was pretty bad.

Runs: 3
    Strength/HITT: 3
    Yoga: 1
    Walks/Hikes: 4
    Bike: 1

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

I was told a while back that neck rolls are a 'no no' now. Instead we're supposed to do:
    head down and hold.
    head back, hold
    head over to left shoulder, hold
    head over to right shoulder, hold.

Pausing in between, rather than rolling from to the other.

I'll be interested to hear what your physio says (and to see if I have it right!). I have't neck rolled in a few years.

Interesting also to hear you're with a wellness/nutrition/running coach! Sounds just fab :)

• Advertisement

Mulberry wrote: »
    I was told a while back that neck rolls are a 'no no' now. Instead we're supposed to do:
    head down and hold.
    head back, hold
    head over to left shoulder, hold
    head over to right shoulder, hold.

Pausing in between, rather than rolling from to the other.

I'll be interested to hear what your physio says (and to see if I have it right!). I have't neck rolled in a few years.

Interesting also to hear you're with a wellness/nutrition/running coach! Sounds just fab :)

That's interesting, so it's not just me then, they've made me feel dizzy from the get go. It'll be interesting to see what the physio says, I have to wait till Friday to see her though so it'll be an exhausting week :(.

Yeah the coach is very interesting, she is challenging all the things I think are right and true and showing evidence to the contrary. Will see what the results yield :). Hope all good with you R!

Advertisement