Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Options

Comments

scudzilla wrote: »
    But the good guys he has fought he has totally walked through them, which makes me confident

Did you feel that Mcgregor had the other guys beat before they even got in the cage? Feels like the other guys were defeated before the bell even rung. I dont think he will get in Aldos head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Did you feel that Mcgregor had the other guys beat before they even got in the cage? Feels like the other guys were defeated before the bell even rung. I dont think he will get in Aldos head.

I don't think he was in Siver's really to be honest. Poirer and Brandao, big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I genuinely think McGregor will win. I think Aldo has stagnated since coming into the UFC and Conor seems to possess power that he has never faced. I don't think Aldo will finish McGregor but he could easily win a decision.

Its a very tight fight to call, and I say McGregor will win but in truth we have no clue how McGregor will get on against the level of fighter that Jose is.

bit of a contradiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think if Conor is to win, he has to fight the perfect fight. The Poirier fight only lasted 90 seconds, but Poirier landed 3 or 4 decent leg kicks, if he let's Aldo do that, then he will be in serious trouble.

Alot of people tend to wait for Aldo to tire in rounds 4 and 5 to turn up the heat on him, but judging from Conors last few weigh ins, I'm not sure he can necessarily bank on it.

I think the fight will probably go the distance, as I can't see either of them being stopped, but I just think if Aldo lands enough leg kicks then he'll probably win by decision.

That's not to say I don't think Conor can win, but if there was a gun to my head now, I'd go with Aldo.

The bookies currently have it as 8/11 Aldo and 11/10 Conor, which is about right in my opinion.

Although obviously I massively hope I'm wrong.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    bit of a contradiction?

Ah I get what he is saying. He is saying that he thinks Conor will win but anything can happen on the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So from people who are big into the sport who do ye think will win?

It's an intriguing fight for sure and I'm not entirely sure if Aldo would want anything to do with McGregor's stand up and he may try to take it to the ground.

Aldo has a black belt in BJJ and this might be the advantage in the fight. He hasn't submitted anybody since 2005 and that wasn't even in the UFC but just because he doesn't use it, doesn't mean he doesn't have it.

Both fighters have good reach and like to fight on the outside. McGregor throws kicks and punches at weird angles while Aldo has those long legs of his which are arguably his biggest weapon.

I was watching the Mendes fight (2nd one) recently and they were both trading a fair amount of punches in close range to each other.

It's evident on the faces of McGregor's previous opponents (Brandao and Siver in particular) that all offence went out the window as soon as he landed. I don't think Aldo has come up against a striker like Conor yet.

If McGregor can close the distance, get inside and land a few punches early I think Aldo will shoot for takedowns more than maybe he will have been preparing for.

That said, it's pure speculation on my part but it's one of the more intriguing featherweight title fights in a while.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    bit of a contradiction?

Slightly. I think McGregor will win but its just a guess in truth. I have it panning out about 10 different ways in my head. McGregor has never fought anyone on Aldo's level so its impossible to judge, But I do think its a bad match up for Aldo, Conor is a Southpaw and Aldo is Orthodox and I think he'll be able to use his jab and hit jab and straight lefts keeping Jose at bay. I also think he'll have too much power.

I'll be ****ting it when the cage walks are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Does anybody know if any supporter groups are travelling from Ireland? I wanna go but none of my friends can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

I really hope one of them doesn't get injured in the build up to the fight.

Fight itself is so hard to predict. Jose is such a beast, but after looking at how Mendes managed to perform against Jose, then I expect McG to put on a very strong showing and probably get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Has anyone been to the mgm before? What are the cheap seats like? Its a small arena so I imagine it would still be pretty good or is it worth the extra money for better seats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Has anyone been to the mgm before? What are the cheap seats like? Its a small arena so I imagine it would still be pretty good or is it worth the extra money for better seats?

It's a bit of both. The cheap seats aren't bad (although I was in the $300s last time) but I'm still planning to pay a little extra this time.

It's not like the O2 in London where the cheap seats are absolute pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

Euro Nears Parity With U.S. Dollar

The Euro tanking at the perfect time with tickets on sale in 2 weeks!! :(

Good thing I work in the North!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Petermc83

From looking at ticketmaster us for the Jones vs Johnson fight in May, there is still plenty of tickets available anyways!!
    This is a stacked card too.

The "cheap" seats look to be nearly all gone and theyre starting at $254.00

Don't underestimate the effects of high profile title holders/contenders from Canada, Ireland or Brazil. All nations with a record of following their fighters in bulk.

UFC 187 only has 1, UFC 189 has 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

Aldo will beat McGregor for sure, I mean have you seen the strength and power of this guy's low leg kicks and knee kicks and the way he lunges at his opponent with such precise and powerful punches. McGregor has little chance against this beast in my opinion. McGregor's taekwondo kicks won't work against this guy, hes too fast, he will dodge those kicks with ease and counter with massive power in his punches which are faster and more powerful than McGregor's punches in my view.

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Aldo will beat McGregor for sure, I mean have you seen the strength and power of this guy's low leg kicks and knee kicks and the way he lunges at his opponent with such precise and powerful punches. McGregor has little chance against this beast in my opinion. McGregor's taekwondo kicks won't work against this guy, hes too fast, he will dodge those kicks with ease and counter with massive power in his punches which are faster and more powerful than McGregor's punches in my view.

Whatever about the rest of it, But you cannot say Aldo has more power then McGregor when he has gone to a decision in 5 of his last 7 and McGregor has finished 4 out of his 5 UFC fights.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Whatever about the rest of it, But you cannot say Aldo has more power then McGregor when he has gone to a decision in 5 of his last 7 and McGregor has finished 4 out of his 5 UFC fights.

Ok but Aldo in a different league to the guys McGregor has beaten. Some of those fighters he beat were decent for sure like Siver and Poirer, but they nothing compared to Aldo, different class altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ok but Aldo in a different league to the guys McGregor has beaten. Some of those fighters he beat were decent for sure like Siver and Poirer, but they nothing compared to Aldo, different class altogether.

Sure Aldo may be in a different league to the guys that Conor has beaten, but those defeated opponents were steamrollered, completely battered each and every one of them. If Conor had struggled in putting Brimmage/Holloway/Brandao/Poirier/Siver away then there may be something in your argument but he destroyed them all

• Registered Users Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aldo may well beat McGregor, but for none of hte reasons you've said.

Aldo isn't a animal because he has massive power.
    His low kicks are great, but what happens when you low kick against a south paw? Why didn't Aldo throw many against Koran Zombie?
    If you think McGregors taekwondo kicks are winning him fights then you need to pay more attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Mellor wrote: »
    Aldo may well beat McGregor, but for none of hte reasons you've said.

Aldo isn't a animal because he has massive power.
    His low kicks are great, but what happens when you low kick against a south paw? Why didn't Aldo throw many against Koran Zombie?
    If you think McGregors taekwondo kicks are winning him fights then you need to pay more attention.

Too many keyboard warriors around for reason to prevail Mellor.

Aldo won't have a fun time if he tries throwing power left kicks vs a southpaw, he knows this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

P1 = $1,042.32
    P2 = $791.35
    P3 = $534.15
    P4 = $377.15
    P5 = $244.70
    P6 = $141.45

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Petermc83

Are these confirmed prices libertyboy? source?

i think ill be saving my dollars for the $377 ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Petermc83 wrote: »
    From looking at ticketmaster us for the Jones vs Johnson fight in May, there is still plenty of tickets available anyways!!
    This is a stacked card too.

The "cheap" seats look to be nearly all gone and theyre starting at $254.00

When I go there it says none available as if sold out?

http://www.ticketmaster.com/ufc-187-las-vegas-nevada-05-23-2015/event/2E004E59EF47750D

They're confirmed, on Fight Club site.

Prices are including taxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

So nobody knows if there are any supporter club type groups travelling over? It doesn't appear there is

You could just save your money altogether cuz Aldo gonna knock this big mouth out, haha let the thrash talk begin! McClown going down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

You could just save your money altogether cuz Aldo gonna knock this big mouth out, haha let the thrash talk begin! McClown going down

Think you've made your point mate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

While you may be right, Aldo was having trouble against a wrestler in the striking last time out, was eating way to many clean punches for my liking
    If he fights his usual game as i suspect he will, this will not be an easy fight to call, Either way from my point of view having an irish man as the UFC champ would be amazing and we all should hope he wins, be such a huge thing for Irish MMA

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

stephenl15 wrote: »
    So nobody knows if there are any supporter club type groups travelling over? It doesn't appear there is

Doubt it. Not that I've heard of.

Seems to be a lot less actually booking, than planned it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement