Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Tested by their own company. Lmao. FFS.
    Anyway, sorry mods. Let's get back to real fighters and athletes.
    Pretty sure they are real athletes. You can say what you want about them but they would run rings around a lot of other professional athletes. I'd suggest you go along to a circuit session with pro-wrestlers in Ireland and see what they go through. It's insane.

Last word on that from me, hate when people are so dismissive of something they have no clue about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Pretty sure they are real athletes. You can say what you want about them but they would run rings around a lot of other professional athletes. I'd suggest you go along to a circuit session with pro-wrestlers in Ireland and see what they go through. It's insane.

Last word on that from me, hate when people are so dismissive of something they have no clue about.

Stop will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Tested by their own company. Lmao. FFS.
    Anyway, sorry mods. Let's get back to real fighters and athletes.

What does UFC not do testing of their own athletes at all. Every sporting organisation does it olympics, fifa, rugby, cycling and boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Scooper wrote: »
    The demand for this UFC event is going to be huge. I can see it being sold out within a few minutes.
    The cheapest seats will be gone instantly. It won't sell out for a while due to the cost of the top level seats. $1k ringside, $3K zuffa section
    Scooper wrote: »
    Because there's only a limited amount available on pre-sale anyway and with so many members trying to get tickets at the exact time they go on sale,
    Not always. It's sold out in presale before, for a Canadian event.
    although they'll probably hold some back here.
    Also wwe has a very script wellness policy nowadays you get suspended the moment you use any kind of steroid or drug.
    LMFAO
    You can't be serious.

They have an extremely strict wellness policy on paper for very obvious political reasons. In the same way that Major league baseball had an anti drug policy in the early 2000s. They simply can't be seen to condone it, they are a public company on NY stock exhange FFS.
    Not really brock lesnar is just a really strong guy to begin with. The wellness policy has become really strict.
    LOL
    So if he's a just really strong guy. How come he is bigger now, than when he was in the UFC??
    He is the same size now as in his pre-UFC WWE career. And btw during his early career with the WWE he was arrested for receiving a large amount of steroids.

For decades, the only way pro wrestlers could train, perform and recover like they do, was with the assistance of steroids. I say assistance, because steroids aren't magic pills like everyone thinks. You still need to work you ass off.
    I don't see how a wellness policy can suddenly remove that need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

darced wrote: »

Very uneducated opinion. They train for what they do. A ballet dancer will have a lower deadlift, squat and be slower than an MMA fighter, does that mean he's a worse athlete? No because he is training for something completely different. Pro wrestlers train to do exactly that - wrestle. Stick a UFC fighter in a 20 minute match and they probably would gas. Stick a pro wrestler in a 1 minute round with a UFC fighter and he'll get KO'd.

What does UFC not do testing of their own athletes at all. Every sporting organisation does it olympics, fifa, rugby, cycling and boxing.

MMA fighters are tested by the various state athletic commissions. Not by the UFC, a private company*. Boxers are tested by state commisions too, not by the individual promotions.
    Olympic athletes are tested by the their own relevant governing bodies, USADA, WADA etc
    FIFA, IRB, and UCI are governing bodies for Football, Rugby and Cycling. They aren't companies/promotions.

What you are describing is like Man Utd testing their own players. Or saying cycling is clean, because the US Postal Team doctor tests their cyclists.

darced wrote: »

Including house shows they're wrestling several times a week. Completely different kind of fitness. Rugby players vs soccer players etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Including house shows they're wrestling several times a week. Completely different kind of fitness. Rugby players vs soccer players etc.

Gassing has nothing to do with multiple shows per week. Gassing is about losing your abikity to perform in a given period due to a stressful activity.

An typical MMA athlete would be able to do a pro wrestling match easily, it's like medium intensity sparring at best. There's no resistance, it's all for show.

Pro wrestlers don't have any endurance to speak of, they're mostly muscle bound steroid heads from what I see. That's not the archetype of a fit person. At all.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Gassing has nothing to do with multiple shows per week. Gassing is about losing your abikity to perform in a given period due to a stressful activity.

An typical MMA athlete would be able to do a pro wrestling match easily, it's like medium intensity sparring at best. There's no resistance, it's all for show.

Pro wrestlers don't have any endurance to speak of, they're mostly muscle bound steroid heads from what I see. That's not the archetype of a fit person. At all.

That's not how athleticism is defined. I also don't think you understand how basic fitness works and how the human body responds to exercise. If a footballer plays two matches in a week and another player plays one, the Monday after the player who played one match would be in much better condition to play the upcoming match on Wednesday. The more matches you take part in the more prone you will be to gassing, because your body doesn't have time to recover.

I prefer watching the UFC over WWE pretty much any day of the week, but this is pure uneducated fanboy stuff. Get an average UFC fighter and put the same amount of muscle mass on him as the average WWE wrestler and see how well he does. You can't though because he doesn't need that muscle mass to fight, it would just hinder him. Apples and oranges, stupid debate imo. When I say a UFC fighter would gas, I don't mean in the sense that they'd collapse or be unable to physically carry out moves, rather that they wouldn't be able to carry them off convincingly(omitting the fact that they wouldn't be trained, let's just assume they have reasonable ability) which is what wrestling fitness is about, because it is scripted after all.

That's not how athleticism is defined.
    How is athleticis defined? Serious question.
    I also don't think you understand how basic fitness works and how the human body responds to exercise. If a footballer plays two matches in a week and another player plays one, the Monday after the player who played one match would be in much better condition to play the upcoming match on Wednesday. The more matches you take part in the more prone you will be to gassing, because your body doesn't have time to recover.
    If the player plays an extra match in a given week, he'll be more fatigued in the days after.
    But if he plays two matches every week he won;t be as his body adapts to training. That is precisely how fitness works, specific adaptinos to imposed demands.

I'm also not sure how it's relevant here. An MMA fighter is training 5 or 6 days a week. Double sessions a lot of days. Just because its not a "show" is irrelevant to your body.
    Get an average UFC fighter and put the same amount of muscle mass on him as the average WWE wrestler and see how well he does. You can't though because he doesn't need that muscle mass to fight, it would just hinder him. Apples and oranges, stupid debate imo.
    So somebody with the muscle mass of say, Cain Velasquez?

I agree its apples and oranges, the intensity of an 15min wrestling match is nowhere near that of a 15 minute MMA fight.
    And yea its a stupid debate, all sense out the window at the WWE is clean stage imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 martin182

can't wait for this fight. you can get all the updates with Conor McGregor's App on Android, class app

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: Get back on topic. This thread is for discussion of Mcgregor v Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/2E004E71A6C31D8E

UFC 189 Ticketmaster page has gone live and tickets will range from $141.45
    to $1,042.35 (fees included)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

DK224 wrote: »
    http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/2E004E71A6C31D8E

UFC 189 Ticketmaster page has gone live and tickets will range from $141.45
    to $1,042.35 (fees included)

Those 141 tickets are rarer than sex in the vatican.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Anyone know the password for the Dublin ticketS???

but1er wrote: »

I dunno. I'd say it's locked by admin until tomorrow. Given the cock up for the Kilmainham open work outs, I'd say they didn't want a repeat of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

but1er wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I dunno. I'd say it's locked by admin until tomorrow. Given the cock up for the Kilmainham open work outs, I'd say they didn't want a repeat of last year.

Yeah, I was hoping someone working for Event Bite might pop up here with a code for us :pac:

What are the chances that this won't be a complete shambles once half the country tries to log in tomorrow morning then? Must be a 1/100 shot for the website to crash at 9:01am. :pac:

• Advertisement

Undisputed UFC® featherweight champion Jose Aldo and challenger Conor McGregor will embark on a world press tour spanning eight cities in five countries over the course of 12 days to promote their upcoming championship bout at UFC® 189: ALDO vs. McGREGOR on Saturday, July 11 at MGM Grand Garden Arena.
    On the 31st March 2015, we are inviting fans to a once in a lifetime event featuring a Q&A with the fighters, appearances from other UFC stars, and live entertainment.
    Doors: 5:00pm
    Starts: 6.00pm
    Ends: 8.30pm
    Timings and appreances subject to change

From Event Brite event page but it's now changed from 'password required' to 'this event is invite only'

What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    From Event Brite event page but it's now changed from 'password required' to 'this event is invite only'

What is going on?

Doesn't appear to be listed on their "local events" page now either. Strange one.

Paully D wrote: »
    Doesn't appear to be listed on their "local events" page now either. Strange one.

From UFC UK Twitter:
    Hang tight folks! The ticket link to the #UFC189 World Tour in Dublin will open at 9am tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 29,584 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is gonna be harder to get tickets for then UFC Dublin. Gonna give it a lash anyway. Would be absolutely class to get tix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

What does everyone think will be on the 189 card? I think they'll try and make this as stacked as 187.

I think Hendricks v Woodley could well feature on it, as well as Benson Henderson vs Michael Johnson

Gunnar is looking to be on it aswell. Gunnie Maia to open the PPV card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think Woodley v Hendricks is a cert, even though I don't think it's the most interesting fight in the world.

Being "international fight week" I'd love if Overeem is on the card, but I suspect they'll keep him for ufc 190 in Brazil against JDS.

I hope they have Paddy Holohan on the card. Ian McCall would be a big jump up in competition but with McCall coming off a loss, I wouldn't be shocked.

The Woodley/Hendricks fight makes a lot of sense and would love to see it added.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cejudo take on Ian McCall. Would be a pretty good Fox Sports prelim.

I've a feeling Mir will be on the card against Duffee and that could possibly be a PPV opener.

I'd be selfish and say Overeem V Junior Dos Santos but that fills a Fight Night headliner by itself should it happen.

Is Neil Seery slated to fight anybody soon? Stick him against Sergio Pettis. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Does anyone know if visa debit cards will work on ticketmaster.com or if you will need a credit card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Any news on the eventbrite convention center tickets?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement