Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread : Irish Wolfhounds V England Saxons Friday 30th Jan 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

thebaz wrote: »
    I'm hoping SOB has a quiet game , just a few gentle runs - no big hits - leave that to Ryan . In fact i hope SOB does very little except stay fit until the WC - and then unleashed full throttle on the world

gentle runs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

errlloyd wrote: »
    Wanna zoom in on Pennell here. He's playing in the championship, but apparently was simply the only good thing about Worchester last season. Have you seen much of him, could you compare his style to a fullback we know better and do you see him being great?

I didn't really see much of Wuss but he's a class act and far, far too good for the Championship. International class, great - I don't know but based on what I've seen so far it would be nice to find out. It's a shame he stuck with Wuss as its hampering that but I can't find fault with loyalty like that in this day and age.

I'd hesitate to compare him to another player, I don't know what he does that well, but he does have a booming boot and (most interestingly to me) combines quick feet with genuine power. That is a rare combination - I feel Kearney's about the only other NH full-back with it - and if he shows that against the Wolfhounds I'd be very interested in him getting more chances.

Good highlights video of him here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2N137j8glY - think my favourite moment is him spotting there's no gap, so he powers into the Wasps hooker, knocks him a little out of the way, and spins off into the gap he's just made and makes yards. Very rare to see a player show intelligence, power and agility like that in such short succession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Yup, 1845

Good point emmet. Jacothelad is also know as William. And of course it was William who first picked up the soccer ball and gave us rugby. Ergo, we are all indebted to Jaco for the enjoyment his sport brings us. Cheers mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Good point emmet. Jacothelad is also know as William. And of course it was William who first picked up the soccer ball and gave us rugby. Ergo, we are all indebted to Jaco for the enjoyment his sport brings us. Cheers mate!

Jaco went to school with William Webb Ellis didn't he?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I heard that Tom Brown's School Days is actually Jaco's autobiography...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Don't mind gentle runs for SOB, I want a highlights reel (mainly containing Chris Ashton) to which the voiceover is........

1000x1000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Looking at the interview with Earls in the 42 yesterday he talks about not having done an 80 minutes and feeling the effects of the game time he got against Sale. Might we see Gilroy come on for him in the second half and Luke move to 13 I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

molloyjh wrote: »
    Looking at the interview with Earls in the 42 yesterday he talks about not having done an 80 minutes and feeling the effects of the game time he got against Sale. Might we see Gilroy come on for him in the second half and Luke move to 13 I wonder?

I cant see Earls/SOB/Madigan playing the 80....

Luke has played a number of full games recently and is trying to get a good bti of time on pitch so I can see him playing 80...

If Luke comes off it would suggest he has a role for the Italy match, maybe on bench to cover wing/centre/full back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Big Nelly wrote: »

Luke has played a number of full games recently and is trying to get a good bti of time on pitch so I can see him playing 80...

If Luke comes off it would suggest he has a role for the Italy match, maybe on bench to cover wing/centre/full back

Wing and center maybe, but not fullback

Wang King wrote: »
    Wing and center maybe, but not fullback

Has played Full Back before for Ireland....so has Earls(correct me if wrong but Im sure Earls played Full Back at one stage)

So can cover that role if it come to it.....

Similar to Madigan on bench for Ireland when Sexton is playing, can cover a number of roles which is a bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Has played Full Back before for Ireland....so has Earls(correct me if wrong but Im sure Earls played Full Back at one stage)

Similar to Madigan on bench for Ireland when Sexton is playing, can cover a number of roles which is a bonus

Earls played full back against England in 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Earls needs a full 80 though at some point if he is to start a 6n game, otherwise he will be on the bench at best. If he feels the effects of 50 minutes or so against Sale 2nds then it would be very risky having him on a starting XV in the 6n

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'm glad Luke Fitz is making his way back, hopefully he can impress again tonight. He's a class act,i'd rather seem him at centre though

aimee1 wrote: »
    Earls needs a full 80 though at some point if he is to start a 6n game, otherwise he will be on the bench at best. If he feels the effects of 50 minutes or so against Sale 2nds then it would be very risky having him on a starting XV in the 6n

That is why I think like SOB he might be sent back to Munster to get a game....I am not saying drop him from squad but better playing 80 for Munster than working in training

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

That is why I think like SOB he might be sent back to Munster to get a game....

SOB is many things but a Munster player isn't one of them ;)

Tox56 wrote: »
    SOB is many things but a Munster player isn't one of them ;)

haha :P:P

Just to clear it up, SOB back to Leinster and Earls to Munster

• Administrators Posts: 53,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

O'Brien and Henderson is like Ireland's version of the Bash Brothers. I guess only people around my age will get the Mighty Ducks reference.

tumblr_lszfs61ERN1qhna7uo1_500.jpg

awec wrote: »
    O'Brien and Henderson is like Ireland's version of the Bash Brothers. I guess only people around my age will get the Might Ducks reference.

tumblr_lszfs61ERN1qhna7uo1_500.jpg

Is joe then Emilio Estevez/Gordan Bombay??

Now I must watch that film tonight:D:D

Doubt Joe has a booze issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Is joe then Emilio Estevez/Gordan Bombay??

Now I must watch that film tonight:D:D

Wait and you see our flying v attack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

awec wrote: »
    O'Brien and Henderson is like Ireland's version of the Bash Brothers. I guess only people around my age will get the Might Ducks reference.
    [/IMG]

If I don't see us use the flying V formation this evening now, I'm going to be very disappointed

Sean Cronin - Knucklepuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Joe Schmidt is on Today fm now for anyone interested. Doubt Anton Savage will be grilling him about his selections for tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

i'm looking forward to seeing Madigan and Marmion playing together, Marmion gets a chance to play for first time with a lively out-half and vice versa for Madigan. Reddan and Boss are both a bit pedestrain at this stage and Marmion hasn't has a whole lot to work with on his outside at Connacht.

big chance for Marmion to stake a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Really looking forward to seeing Marmion/Madigan. Probably the most excited ive been for a half back pairing in some time.

Madigan seems to fail to launch against decent opposition. I'm still not sold on him at international level at all.

Madigan seems to fail to launch against decent opposition. I'm still not sold on him at international level at all.

He killed Northampton last season in HC....

One of the rare times he had a firing and fit leinster team and he was playing 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

No worries about Earls at fb, big ones about Luke though, he had a mare before

Wang King wrote: »
    No worries about Earls at fb, big Ines about Luke though, he had a mare before

Ines? When did he have a mare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ines? When did he have a mare?

6n a few years back. combo of him coming back from injury, dip in form and being played out of position = disaster

Advertisement