Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

looks like heaslip a doubt for italy if neither o donnell or murphy involved.

strange no sign of healy either. bench at best next week i assume.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

unplayable wrote: »
    strange no sign of healy either. bench at best next week i assume.

Healy should be back for the Dragons game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Just maybe to mention, it's less than a year since Jack Conan's pro debut. Considering the competition in the back row for province and country, that's a great achievement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In fairness SOB, Ruddock, Jennings, Murphy, and McLaughlin being injured has helped him out a good bit.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    In fairness SOB, Ruddock, Jennings, Murphy, and McLaughlin being injured has helped him out a good bit.

rainonparade1292539657.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Conan was one of those players who you just knew if they got a run of games through injury to others they'd fly up the pecking order.

Leavy will be the next if he can stay fit.

Essentially a second-choice Leinster side bolstered by a few lads from the other provinces and SOB. Unsurprising considering the make-up of Joe's original squad, but a disappointed and hugely conservative selection nonetheless. Can't imagine many Cork locals will make the trip.

Bent ahead of Cronin is nonsense. Only bright point is Earls at 13.

Good god. I hope there is only a tiny minority of locals who agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Good god. I hope there is only a tiny minority of locals who agree with this.

Munster are struggling to get anyone in the gates so I would doubt there will be a large crowd.

Not sure if they have played this game before up in Ravenhill? I would think you would get a lot bigger crowd up there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Munster are struggling to get anyone in the gates so I would doubt there will be a large crowd.

Not sure if they have played this game before up in Ravenhill? I would think you would get a lot bigger crowd up there.....
    The game will be a sell out and easily at that.
    Munster are struggling to get big crowds in Thomond but with new stadium in Cork now ready there will be a large crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Earls at 13 and Fitz on the wing, hmm.

Nice nod to Felix Jones to make him captain.

The game will be a sell out and easily at that.
    Munster are struggling to get big crowds in Thomond but with new stadium in Cork now ready there will be a large crowd.

The tickets are dirt cheap too.

For an adult it's 25euro for the West Stand and 15 for everywhere else.
    For a Junior it's 10 and 5 for those areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Nice nod to Felix Jones to make him captain.

Munster bias :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Marmion and Madigan at 9/10 suggest to me that this is their trial run to start versus Italy.

I'm fascinated to see how D'Arcy and Earls get on against Burgess (a monster) and Daly (pacey). Anyway it looks like we'll see a Henshaw-Payne combination against Italy.

On the attendance, it looks like it will be close to a sellout: http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/19897.php#.VMpdlsspWHs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Good team, will enjoy this game methinks..... Please... No.....Fckin.... Injuries!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mod: No more posts about provincial bias of coaches. It's BS and we all know it, but it will not be discussed here as it only causes hassle. Zero tolerance policy applies, infractions will be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Big Nelly wrote: »

New West stand sold out and apparently very limited availability in the East Terrace

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Things that popped into my head when seeing the team sheets:

1) Has a province ever fielded the entire starting Irish 15? I know Leinster have fielded 15 international but i mean all Irish starters at the same time period.

2) Last weekend I was at the bath v glasgow match and the size difference between the 2 teams was astonishing. Bath being much bigger. Burgess stood out amongst them as well, the lad is huge and I never noticed that much on TV before. I would be somewhat wary seeing him run at Earls repeatedly, I hope Earls has no lasting niggles.

3) The English side actually looks quite strong, the backline has a fair bit of pace and there's a fair few people here who think that Waldrom should be right up there in the pecking order too.

4) We have 4? Lions in that squad, mad to see how our depth has grown.

5) I don't know very much about McKeon, what is he like?

I feel it's a good time to stop typing now..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I just don't know what to think of the Keatley decision. My guess is that he is nailed on to either start or bench for the Italy game, depending on the form of Madigan at 10, over which there is obviously a question mark.......and which of them starts depends on how Madigan goes tomorrow night. Not worth risking having the only two 10's available to pick up an injury tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Scythica wrote: »

1) Has a province ever fielded the entire starting Irish 15? I know Leinster have fielded 15 international but i mean all Irish starters at the same time period.

2) Last weekend I was at the bath v glasgow match and the size difference between the 2 teams was astonishing. Bath being much bigger. Burgess stood out amongst them as well, the lad is huge and I never noticed that much on TV before. I would be somewhat wary seeing him run at Earls repeatedly, I hope Earls has no lasting niggles.

3) The English side actually looks quite strong, the backline has a fair bit of pace and there's a fair few people here who think that Waldrom should be right up there in the pecking order too.

1. I don't know, but I doubt it. There has never been a time where all the players for one province are better than all of the players of another.

5. McKeon is a very good player, I rate him quite highly. I don't think he was in the original squad though? Did he get a call-up because of the injury to Foley or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Really looking forward to this match tomorrow night. If I lived within an ass's roar of Musgrave, I would be down there - hope it's a sell out....two very good teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Scythica wrote: »

There has been plenty of occasions when provinces have fielded all irish starters
    Wouldn't worry too much about Earls defence.
    McKeon is a good player. Capable playing across backrow. Totally deserved call up based on performances this season...

Yeah I wouldn't worry about Earls's defence either, he's pretty solid

Looks like poor Darren Cave and James Cronin will be the only people from the initial squad not to feature at all in the next two months.

Original squad: http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/33613.php#.VMppOmisV6s

Well, that depends on what the plan for Keatley is of course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Looks like poor Darren Cave and James Cronin will be the only people from the initial squad not to feature at all in the next two months.

I think Cronin has a good chance of making the squad for the Italy game, Cave though doesn't look like he'll get any involvement.

Keatley would have to be involved, id be stunned beyond words if Reid was our back up 10 in Italy, that would be suicidal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Given he scored a hat trick at the weekend Cave is obviously being rested for next week (Smiley face)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

With Healy not making the WH squad, chance that Cronin might bench for McGrath?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Thinking about it is it actually that outlandish that Cave might be in line to start next week. I only say that because if Fitz is being seen as a winger that only really leaves Payne and Cave and given a choice between the two at 13 there should logically be only one winner, and it ain't Payne.

Either that or maybe the face doesn't fit after all..

Obviously Joe has his own ideas and I see no reason to question his wisdom!!!

Well Cave did go on the tour to Argentina and played a game there, can't remember if he played two, so the management have seen him up close in an Ireland jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bilston wrote: »
    Thinking about it is it actually that outlandish that Cave might be in line to start next week. I only say that because if Fitz is being seen as a winger that only really leaves Payne and Cave and given a choice between the two at 13 there should logically be only one winner, and it ain't Payne.

Either that or maybe the face doesn't fit after all..

Obviously Joe has his own ideas and I see no reason to question his wisdom!!!

Henshaw is a 13

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement