Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Madigan is playing tonight to show he can play 10, it's a trial for him.

No he isnt. There is no trial going on.
    Joe is not waiting to see how anyone performs to decide first team picks. The game is a high level practice session for Mads to rehearse Schmidt game plays.
    Nothing that happens tonight, other than injuries, will have any effect on the team selected for Roma.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If madigan has a nightmare ttonight, Keatley starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭phog

Joe is not waiting to see how anyone performs to decide first team picks. The game is a high level practice session for Mads to rehearse Schmidt game plays.
    Nothing that happens tonight, other than injuries, will have any effect on the team selected for Roma.

So what you're saying is the Joe is set in his ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If madigan has a nightmare ttonight, Keatley starts.

That's the only scenario Keatley starts imo. I think Madigan's in the jersey as it stands, if he is adequate tonight I think he'll start v Italy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If Madigan has a stinker I can't see Schmidt picking him for Italy. I'd view it as very much a trial game for him as if he plays well he could get the jersey next week, if he doesn't he won't.

I was actually quite surprised at how much Keatley has played recently. For the last 10 weeks he has played only once less than 70 mins for Munster, all at 10 as well, so it makes sense not to play him tonight if he's going to be in the running for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Tox56 wrote: »
    That's the only scenario Keatley starts imo. I think Madigan's in the jersey as it stands, if he is adequate tonight I think he'll start v Italy

He would have to have an absolute mental breakdown on the field though for Keatley to leap-frog him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

phog wrote: »
    So what you're saying is the Joe is set in his ways?

No, I'm not. Read it again.

Playing well or badly, the week before a game is the old amateur way of selecting teams.
    The team for Italy is well settled and based on play through the season, training performance, fitness/health, ability to implement Joe's strategy rather than their provincial game, the opposition in prospect, Joes existing analysis of a players strengths and weaknesses.
    Not a one-off game at the eleventh hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Yeah, I don't think anyone forced their way into the 6N after the Wolfhounds game last season, the team to play Scotland was set in stone. I think it's the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Fans always put miles too much stock in these 'A' games. There's no way selections are hinging on the performance tonight. I'd be fairly sure Schmidt has his team selected for Italy, it'll be based on performances over the season, performance in the AIs will go a long way towards it, how guys have performed in Europe and the training camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fans always put miles too much stock in these 'A' games. There's no way selections are hinging on the performance tonight. I'd be fairly sure Schmidt has his team selected for Italy, it'll be based on performances over the season, performance in the AIs will go a long way towards it, how guys have performed in Europe and the training camps.

After tonight, I don't think Joe has his team selected for next week.

When exactly is Sexton ready to play again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

All I can say is thank god it's Italy up first.

Hagz wrote: »
    All I can say is thank god it's Italy up first.

And France second......which is why I am wondering about Sexton.

vienne86 wrote: »
    And France second......which is why I am wondering about Sexton.

They're basically saying he's done everything except contact for weeks now. A week of contact training and he should be ready, his fitness should be excellent and his skills should be sharp. He's not going to forget how to tackle in 12 weeks so I'd bet my house on him playing v France

The team for Italy will be totally different to the one that played today, I'm not overly worried

They're basically saying he's done everything except contact for weeks now. A week of contact training and he should be ready, his fitness should be excellent and his skills should be sharp. He's not going to forget how to tackle in 12 weeks so I'd bet my house on him playing v France

The team for Italy will be totally different to the one that played today, I'm not overly worried

He was doing everything except contact this morning.....and at one point I thought I saw him in a tackle.

Tonight, Boss was way too slow to the ruck and then too ponderous when he got there, some of his passing was worse than Duncan Williams, he made one break but other than that was a step backwards from Marmion, we need a fit Murray if Sexton is missing. We're in bother if both are missing.

Tonight, Boss was way too slow to the ruck and then too ponderous when he got there, some of his passing was worse than Duncan Williams, he made one break but other than that was a step backwards from Marmion, we need a fit Murray if Sexton is missing. We're in bother if both are missing.

I actually thought he was an improvement on Marmion who I was a bit disappointed with. Reddan and Murray are the top two pretty clearly a present

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I actually thought he was an improvement on Marmion who I was a bit disappointed with. Reddan and Murray are the top two pretty clearly a present

Yeah boss added direction as soon as he came on. Piss poor service but he got the game going by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Really?! I think you might be seeing what you expected to see a bit there. For me Boss was a clear improvement. Don't get me wrong, he's not great, he can't get around the pitch as quick as he used to. But his passing and kicking were an improvement on Marmion who I was a bit disappointed with tbh.

Flipper22 wrote: »
    Really?! I think you might be seeing what you expected to see a bit there. For me Boss was a clear improvement. Don't get me wrong, he's not great, he can't get around the pitch as quick as he used to. But his passing and kicking were an improvement on Marmion who I was a bit disappointed with tbh.

Some of his passing was too high or too far in front of players which was putting the receiver under pressure and lose some momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's just so frustrating that we lost Paddy Jackson and Sexton at the very same time. Such a massively important position. It has me majorly worried ahead of the Italy game, backlines outside Madigan are so ineffective, It's going to put big big pressure on Easterby and the forwards, thankfully Italy's pack are not at all what they used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'm a bit concerned by the thought of Payne starting next week. He's only had 2 games back since the S.A. game and both at 15, he hasn't had a convincing showing at 13 all season either. Really hope it'll be a Henshaw/Fitz combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

shuffol wrote: »
    I'm a bit concerned by the thought of Payne starting next week. He's only had 2 games back since the S.A. game and both at 15, he hasn't had a convincing showing at 13 all season either. Really hope it'll be a Henshaw/Fitz combo.

why would he start ?

Some of his passing was too high or too far in front of players which was putting the receiver under pressure and lose some momentum.

I was amazed at how good Boss was last night. I have been one of his main critics - he has been so slow and ponderous, but not last night IMO. He had more zip in him than Marmion, who seemed a little out of his depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

In fairness, that's two weeks in a row Boss has come off the bench and played well.

The form scrum half in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

In fairness, that's two weeks in a row Boss has come off the bench and played well.

Behind Duncan Williams of course !

Murray has to start. Particularly with our gap at 10. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Boss on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Boss actually did well last night in the context of his form this season, though he's so ponderous at the base of the ruck he was very lucky not get pinged last night, got a couple of very long 5 seconds after being warned to use it. Marmion got served up ****e ball all night and did well but certainly didn't put his hand up and say pick me. Madigan and Earls in the same backline must be a nightmare for any back three, apart from the hot potato shuffle, did the ball make it out to the wings at all through the backline? We are going to need a massive performance from the pack next week if Madigan starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

shuffol wrote: »

I don't know how people can keep saying Fitz for centre - you can't trust since he's so injury prone and Henshaw needs a permanent partner which is most likely Payne. Same goes for Earls, he's no way up to speed. Fitz or Earls for the no.23 spot but no way they should start. Let them finish the season and if they stay injury free then consider pushing a spot for the starting 15.

Fitz also has a lot to prove on the international stage - he's never done anything spectacular or lived up to the hype. Earls has to an extent I suppose - his try scoring recorded is impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

d-gal wrote: »
    I don't know how people can keep saying Fitz for centre - you can't trust since he's so injury prone and Henshaw needs a permanent partner which is most likely Payne. Same goes for Earls, he's no way up to speed. Fitz or Earls for the no.23 spot but no way they should start. Let them finish the season and if they stay injury free then consider pushing a spot for the starting 15.

Fitz also has a lot to prove on the international stage - he's never done anything spectacular or lived up to the hype. Earls has to an extent I suppose - his try scoring recorded is impressive

Fitz lived up to the hype right through 2009 as a 21 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah Fitz has certainly lived up to his reputation on the international stage. He's just been unlucky with his timings of injury, but over the past 18 months he's been playing his best rugby. He's been Leinsters best back in Europe two years in a row despite missing chunks due to injury.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement