Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I'd guess Fitz on wing and Earls in center is just to test their versatility in those positions. We know what Fitz is capable of in the center and I still expect a 12/13 axis of Henshaw and Fitz against Italy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

I wonder does Joe want Fitz to get some game time at wing so he can cover both wing and centre from the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

fitz wrote: »
    I wonder does Joe want Fitz to get some game time at wing so he can cover both wing and centre from the bench?

Or cover wing and centre from the centre?

We won't really know the motivation for this until we see the Italy team, but it's certainly interesting

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Keatley to start next week or Madigan game time at 10?

Madigan hasn't played at 10 since the Ulster game so probably just to give him some game time.
    thirteen. wrote: »
    Our back row :D

Fitz on the wing with Earls in the centre is interesting, as is no fly half cover on the bench. Is there something wrong with Keatley or is he simply being minded?

If something happens to Madigan, Reid can cover 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

fitz wrote: »

I would guess so

Madigan will start against italy so having Fitz on bench to cover wing/centre/full back will be great addition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »
    Stop humblebragging!

Yeah in fairness depth is one thing but there will be substantially less Leinster players in the actual first 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

sydthebeat wrote: »
    earls at 13

internet explodes!!!!!!

Surely not. 3rd choice centre pairing being given a run out together in case there are injuries through the campaign.

And we can presume Fitz is starting on the wing now against Italy, so does look like a Henshaw/Payne midfield. Which I suppose was his first choice in the Autumn.
    And Zebo gets his place on the bench over Earls - maybe thats why it might explode ! I would have prefered Earls there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I would guess so

Madigan will start against italy so having Fitz on bench to cover wing/centre/full back will be great addition

I don't know, Keatley not even on the bench here tells me he might be getting the nod ahead of Madigan..

Please join us this Friday in Cork as Leinster & Friends take on the England Saxons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Chances of this Leinster side playing better in one game than they have managed all season under Moc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Please join us this Friday in Cork as Leinster & Friends take on the England Saxons

Leinster A's + Friends, The full Leinster team are playing next week in Italy...

No false advertising now

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think Luke to the wing is purely because he hasn't played there since his groin injury. They're looking to test him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Essentially a second-choice Leinster side bolstered by a few lads from the other provinces and SOB. Unsurprising considering the make-up of Joe's original squad, but a disappointed and hugely conservative selection nonetheless. Can't imagine many Cork locals will make the trip.

Bent ahead of Cronin is nonsense. Only bright point is Earls at 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

its_phil wrote: »
    I'd guess Fitz on wing and Earls in center is just to test their versatility in those positions. We know what Fitz is capable of in the center and I still expect a 12/13 axis of Henshaw and Fitz against Italy.

I think you're saying what you hope not what the selection suggests. Reading from this selection, I would say Bowe & Zebo on wings, Henshaw & Payne in centres, Fitzgerald/Earls/McFadden fighting for the 23 shirt.

But anyway, that is a seriously strong a side. Hopefully they can click.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

its_phil wrote: »
    I don't know, Keatley not even on the bench here tells me he might be getting the nod ahead of Madigan..

It tells me the exact opposite tbh. I can't see Joe parachuting Keatley in, especially after giving him pretty minimal game time in November, for his Six Nations debut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

awec wrote: »
    I am disappointed to see Henderson at 4 instead of 6. :(

Was always gonna be the case with Foley and Tuohy injured rather than risk one of our first string locks

Essentially a second-choice Leinster side bolstered by a few lads from the other provinces and SOB. Unsurprising considering the make-up of Joe's original squad, but a disappointed and hugely conservative selection nonetheless. Bent ahead of Cronin is nonsense.

Only bright point is Earls at 13.

What side would you have chosen Mahatma?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I think you're saying what you hope not what the selection suggests. Reading from this selection, I would say Bowe & Zebo on wings, Henshaw & Payne in centres, Fitzgerald/Earls/McFadden fighting for the 23 shirt.

I think Fitzgerald starting at 11 is a possibility. He could be getting this game at 11 for the same reason Madigan is at 10

Essentially a second-choice Leinster side bolstered by a few lads from the other provinces and SOB. Unsurprising considering the make-up of Joe's original squad, but a disappointed and hugely conservative selection nonetheless. Can't imagine many Cork locals will make the trip.

Bent ahead of Cronin is nonsense. Only bright point is Earls at 13.

Please detail 5 changes you'd like from the 23. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Very happy with the selection. Great chance for the likes of Marmion, Madigan, Earls and Fitz to show where they're at, and for Conan getting a run out in, and SOB to get a chance to get some much needed minutes under his belt. Bent over Cronin entirely justified IMO. But wheres Casey? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Looks like an away game for Leinster alright. Still, spread the opportunity and all that. Give everyone a chance to see great rugby players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

.ak wrote: »
    I think Luke to the wing is purely because he hasn't played there since his groin injury. They're looking to test him there.

Maybe its because, even when half-fit, Earls is a better 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Surely not. 3rd choice centre pairing being given a run out together in case there are injuries through the campaign.

And we can presume Fitz is starting on the wing now against Italy, so does look like a Henshaw/Payne midfield. Which I suppose was his first choice in the Autumn.
    And Zebo gets his place on the bench over Earls - maybe thats why it might explode ! I would have prefered Earls there myself.

It's difficult to tell. The Henshaw-Payne axis was rated by Joe as the best option at a time when both Earls and Fitzgerald were injured. It would be interesting to see what pecking order emerges.

One thing we can surmise is that Fitzgerald won't be playing 13 against Italy, as he'd surely be given a run out in that position in this game otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

.ak wrote: »
    But anyway, that is a seriously strong a side. Hopefully they can click.

It is a strong team, and I'm seriously looking forward to it, but "clicking" has never been a feature of Wolfhounds teams so it's really more about individuals showing their own form and fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Tox56 wrote: »
    I think Fitzgerald starting at 11 is a possibility. He could be getting this game at 11 for the same reason Madigan is at 10

Yeah, maybe Schmidt considers Payne too good a player to leave on the pine so he's moving Luke to 11 for some quick refresher experience at wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We're not your friends Emmet

Tox56 wrote: »

We all (at least the vast majority of us) agree Luke has been playing very well for Leinster. But until I see Luke named in the Italy starting XV, I'm not buying that he has leapfrogged other players in Schmidt's mind just yet. I do think Schmidt will stick with Henshaw/Payne in centre, and everyone, even from the more southern reaches of the republic, agree Bowe is a cert, so it becomes a Q of Zebo v Fitzgerald v McFadden v Earls for the left wing spot. Honestly, any of those choices would be fine by me, and I have no idea which Schmidt will choose. The fact Earls is in the centre seems to suggest Luke is not viewed primarily as a centre by Joe.

Maybe its because, even when half-fit, Earls is a better 13.

:confused: not sure what that has to do with it? It's not a Luke vs earls thing you know? Schmidt has seen plenty of Luke at 13, but not at 11 this season. The same goes for earls, due to injury Schmidt hasn't seen much of earls at 13.

I think you're missing the point of the wolfhounds game entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'd agree that it would seem the 5 not included backs are starting next week.

Zebo, Henshaw, Payne, Bowe and Kearney.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement