Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

thebaz wrote: »
    Delighted SOB is back - but Why are D'Arcy and Ross starting ?
    Whats the benefit ?

Ross has been a work horse for Leinster this season with the injuries and has had some well deserved time off. He needs a little game time, just in case he became a little rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Good interview with SOB on Newstalk earlier. Interestingly he said he may well go back and play with Leinster for a few games and then get some Ireland gametime towards the end of the 6N. Says international rugby is 10% more intense and physical than ECC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Good interview with SOB on Newstalk earlier. Interestingly he said he may well go back and play with Leinster for a few games and then get some Ireland gametime towards the end of the 6N. Says international rugby is 10% more intense and physical than ECC games.

You have just made a Leinster fan very happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

I think some have read too much into Keatley's non-selection. Joe gave the answer to the media. Keatley has played lots of games for Munster at 10 this season, including two European Cup games over the last couple of weeks. Joe has everything he need to know about what Keatley would bring to the table if selected. There is no harm in giving him a week off.

On the 10 situation, is it not hard to believe that we head into a six nations without our two of our top outhalves, and we are still confident about the first game and the campaign in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Zuffer wrote: »
    I think some have read too much into Keatley's non-selection. Joe gave the answer to the media. Keatley has played lots of games for Munster at 10 this season, including two European Cup games over the last couple of weeks. Joe has everything he need to know about what Keatley would bring to the table if selected. There is no harm in giving him a week off.

On the 10 situation, is it not hard to believe that we head into a six nations without our two of our top outhalves, and we are still confident about the first game and the campaign in general?

I posted this a few days ago, the Ireland back room staff came out and said the exact same....they want to see Madigan at 10 and they know exactly what Keatley form is like because he has been playing 10 all season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Is he?

Keatley's played 10/12/15 at HEC level many times.

Keatley is a vastly under rate player i.m.o. He gets a lot of negativity yet he has to try and make an at times weird and direction-less Munster back line work. The guy has a great boot, can tackle, passes well and has superb pace. He may not be Sexton but he's a hell of a good rugby player.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lucky_luke

The problem with Keatley is that sometimes he can sometimes make some real bad decisions like repeatedly kicking to Billy Vunipola.

I think at times he can be very good, like the drop goal against Sale but at others he can be a bit poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I posted this a few days ago, the Ireland back room staff came out and said the exact same....they want to see Madigan at 10 and they know exactly what Keatley form is like because he has been playing 10 all season

I'm going to throw this out there, but what if "we know what Keatley can do" isn't a good thing?

Right, let's just look at the facts, and everyone can interpret as they see fit.

- Keatley's international career under Joe consists of 17 minutes in the centre against a beaten Georgia, and 20 minutes in the Wolfhounds game last season.

- Noel Reid is named on the bench tomorrow; when Reid won his first/only cap in Argentina, Keatley was thousands of miles away playing for Emerging Ireland.

So I don't know how Joe sees this, but it would be a serious departure from his usual methods if he just threw a guy in for a 6N debut who has never featured for him in any meaningful way before.

It would cause boards.ie meltdown, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Noel Reid wearing the #22 jersey 8 days from now. I'd be shocked to see Keatley wearing 10. That's not based on any opinion of what Keatley is like, just on the facts outlined above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I'm going to throw this out there, but what if "we know what Keatley can do" isn't a good thing?

Right, let's just look at the facts, and everyone can interpret as they see fit.

- Keatley's international career under Joe consists of 17 minutes in the centre against a beaten Georgia, and 20 minutes in the Wolfhounds game last season.

- Noel Reid is named on the bench tomorrow; when Reid won his first/only cap in Argentina, Keatley was thousands of miles away playing for Emerging Ireland.

So I don't know how Joe sees this, but it would be a serious departure from his usual methods if he just threw a guy in for a 6N debut who has never featured for him in any meaningful way before.

It would cause boards.ie meltdown, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Noel Reid wearing the #22 jersey 8 days from now. I'd be shocked to see Keatley wearing 10.

I would agree, I think them coming out and saying they know what Keatley can do suggests they have seen enough and don't rate him but that is pure speculation.

I don't think he will get the 10 for Italy and everyone is saying Madigan will start but there is no chance he won't be on bench. They would never pick Reid ahead of him on bench for Italy....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It would cause boards.ie meltdown, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Noel Reid wearing the #22 jersey 8 days from now. I'd be shocked to see Keatley wearing 10.

I would be absolutely stunned if Keatley wasn't in the 23, whatever about what he can or can't do, what he's done as a 10 has far, far outstripped what Reid has done there, and it's not like he is completely inflexible as a bench option, he probably covers more positions to a higher standard than Reid

Whatever about boards.ie melting down, that would just be absolute suicide. I mean, can you imagine Reid having to play more than 2 minutes of a six nations game at 10?! It's not even like we desperately need 12 cover, there are more than enough 12s if Henshaw, Madigan, Keatley and either Fitz/McFadden are in the squad

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    I would be absolutely stunned if Keatley wasn't in the 23, whatever about what he can or can't do, what he's done as a 10 has far, far outstripped what Reid has done there, and it's not like he is completely inflexible as a bench option, he probably covers more positions to a higher standard than Reid

Whatever about boards.ie melting down, that would just be absolute suicide. I mean, can you imagine Reid having to play more than 2 minutes of a six nations game at 10?! It's not even like we desperately need 12 cover, there are more than enough 12s if Henshaw, Madigan, Keatley and either Fitz/McFadden are in the squad

I have to stress, I totally agree with everything you've said. This is not about me thinking Keatley is rubbish and shouldn't be picked, I just can't understand why Keatley isn't involved tonight if the plan is to use him next week.

(I don't really buy the "what if both out-halves get injured" line.)

I have to stress, I totally agree with everything you've said. This is not about me thinking Keatley is rubbish and shouldn't be picked, I just can't understand why Keatley isn't involved tonight if the plan is to use him next week.

(I don't really buy the "what if both out-halves get injured" line.)

Other options include
    Keatley's got a niggle and needs rest.
    Or he's played an awful lot of rugby this season and a week off could suit him?

Other options include

There has been no mention of a niggle but it's certainly possible. He's played a lot of rugby alright, but not as much as Madigan.

Just speculating here, but it just doesn't add up for me.

Other options include

I think its the second one, Munster only have 2 10s basically and it doesnt look like Foley particularly trusts the second one as a 10, so without looking it up hes likely played a serious amount of games this season.

Training being important to Schmidt is one of the things we've heard a lot about so I think Keatley could conceivably be involved (maybe even start) against Italy on training alone. Payne for example has spent a total of 2 weeks training and 1 game under Schmidt but still isnt involved tomorrow, and I would very much expect him to play v Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

There is absolutely 0 point in Keatley being on the bench in this game. I thought he would start the Wolfhounds game, Madigan would start at 10 against Italy, with Keatley on the bench. In that case, there's no way Madigan would be on the bench.

We play one of them at 10 here because we have to, you need a 10 to facilitate all the other players, putting Reid in isn't really an option. But they do know what Keatley can do, and is bound to bench (or maybe start but presumably Madigan is playing so that he can get some gametime at 10 which has been limited this season).

If Sexton & Jackson were fit, Keatley probably would be involved with the Wolfhounds, but unless you're lacking gametime (which Keatley isn't), there's no point in playing players who are going to be in the Italy 23 in this game.

There has been no mention of a niggle but it's certainly possible. He's played a lot of rugby alright, but not as much as Madigan.

Just speculating here, but it just doesn't add up for me.

Having looked at the figures, Madigan and Keatley have played pretty much the same amount of minutes this season (and it is a lot). Keatley is ahead provincially but Im guessing Madigan will move a bit ahead with Ireland games taken into account. But the crux of it is that very little of Madigan's minutes were actually at 10, while pretty much all of Keatley's were.

If Madigan had played the same number of minutes exclusively at 10, theres no chance he would be involved with the WHs. So I don't think its shocking that Keatley isnt involved given he is under exactly those circumstances.

Maybe I'm just delirious so. A case of Six Nations fever.

Good god. I hope there is only a tiny minority of locals who agree with this.
    Is one a tiny minority? if so I think you may well be right.

bilston wrote: »
    Given he scored a hat trick at the weekend Cave is obviously being rested for next week (Smiley face)
    Your smiley face doesn't fit......:P:P:P (His tries don't really count though. They were only against Leicester, not against decent opposition...like Sale or Wasps. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D [runs Zimmers for the exit].

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Tox56 wrote: »
    Having looked at the figures, Madigan and Keatley have played pretty much the same amount of minutes this season (and it is a lot). Keatley is ahead provincially but Im guessing Madigan will move a bit ahead with Ireland games taken into account. But the crux of it is that very little of Madigan's minutes were actually at 10, while pretty much all of Keatley's were.

If Madigan had played the same number of minutes exclusively at 10, theres no chance he would be involved with the WHs. So I don't think its shocking that Keatley isnt involved given he is under exactly those circumstances.

Yeah I agree. Keatley has played every weekend now since 21 of Nov and only in 1 of those 10 games did he play less than 70 mins.

Madigan is playing tonight to show he can play 10, it's a trial for him.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Well Cave did go on the tour to Argentina and played a game there, can't remember if he played two, so the management have seen him up close in an Ireland jersey.
    He played one game at 13 and one game at 12.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jacothelad wrote: »
    Your smiley face doesn't fit......:P:P:P (His tries don't really count though. They were only against Leicester, not against decent opposition...like Sale or Wasps. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D [runs Zimmers for the exit].

Are you not quicker in the wheelchair? ;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    Are you not quicker in the wheelchair? ;)
    It's up on the ramp at the moment getting a new commode fitted.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

€108 for 2 Cat As isn't too bad.

(assuming another 10% isn't loaded on by ****ing Ticketmaster)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Great photos!

14o2jrk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Keatley is a vastly under rate player i.m.o. He gets a lot of negativity yet he has to try and make an at times weird and direction-less Munster back line work. The guy has a great boot, can tackle, passes well and has superb pace. He may not be Sexton but he's a hell of a good rugby player.

I like Keatley too. But he needs to eliminate the unforced errors. You can't have your fly half at international level kicking out on the full etc. You just can't and it can't be swept under the carpet. If he does get a chance I hope he takes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Just listening to a podcast with Sexton on....interesting (yet totally unimportant) little piece of trivia ....ROG and another Racing coach were both sick last week so Sexton was asked to take over the final training session before the Champions Cup game!!

You'd imagine if he could sort out his temper and calm down a bit, he could make a great coach....BOD in his book said Sexton and Schmidt had encyclopedic knowledge of the game and Sexton could instantly recall in perfect detail every play he had ever ran going back years....be it England in the 6 Nations or the Dragons away!

S12b wrote: »
    Just listening to a podcast with Sexton on....interesting (yet totally unimportant) little piece of trivia ....ROG and another Racing coach were both sick last week so Sexton was asked to take over the final training session before the Champions Cup game!!

You'd imagine if he could sort out his temper and calm down a bit, he could make a great coach....BOD in his book said Sexton and Schmidt had encyclopedic knowledge of the game and Sexton could instantly recall in perfect detail every play he had ever ran going back years....be it England in the 6 Nations or the Dragons away!

He doesn't have a temper - he's just cranky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

S12b wrote: »

Himself and Joe seem to get on famously. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Sexton eventually goes into coaching. Good at the tactics and game plan I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement