Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

SeLling calves to a neighbour and his paying me in bales , im saying 5 bales per fr bull and he thinks 4, what do ye think, good bales in fairness as he works with the contractor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

We sell calves to our baling contractor but we just agree on price of calves and that goes against the bill I owe him or if the balance is my way I take his bill off the cost of calves. Perhaps depending on number of calves you could go 4.5 per calf meet half way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭mf240

keep going wrote: »
    SeLling calves to a neighbour and his paying me in bales , im saying 5 bales per fr bull and he thinks 4, what do ye think, good bales in fairness as he works with the contractor

Nine bales for two calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Just make sure there round bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

For those of you buying FR bull calves, what do you plan to do with them?

• Advertisement

For those of you buying FR bull calves, what do you plan to do with them?

Stuff them and display on the mantle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Just make sure there round bales

And not well packed Mchale fusion bales

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

What age and quality are the Friesian bulls. If they are less than 3 weeks and if you are getting good quality big bales then they are worth 25/bale. Is he delivering the bales as well. If delivered the 4 bales are costing 110 in the yard. I presume he is collecting the calves and you have no fees. You need to be getting 120++ in the mart.

At 5 bales delivered he be giving you 140 in the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

We never got on well in it sold very good weaning in it last few yr and they were given away
    and we'd know David well. Sold our farm for us.
    Enniscorthy is a good mart I'm told. Never sold in it though

carnew mart is flying and when david selling serious trade for the last couple of months,the only person david likes is money and if you think you know david well your a fool nobody knows david well,
    if enniscorthy mart is so good how come all other parts of the business has being lost and wexford men passing the gate to go to carnew,
    the last two years we went to enniscorthy to buy calves and the manager wouldnt take our bid only eyes for the dealers,

as for the man in kk with the travelling gavel he is like rewinded record and getting wore out,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

carnew mart is flying and when david selling serious trade for the last couple of months,the only person david likes is money and if you think you know david well your a fool nobody knows david well,
    if enniscorthy mart is so good how come all other parts of the business has being lost and wexford men passing the gate to go to carnew,
    the last two years we went to enniscorthy to buy calves and the manager wouldnt take our bid only eyes for the dealers,

as for the man in kk with the travelling gavel he is like rewinded record and getting wore out,
    Fair enough I'm just giving my experience there sold lots in carnew over the yrs and never got the price we should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

What's a nice lim heifer out a British friesan worth roughly at the moment lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭joe man utd

Took 6 calves to mart today..
    Belgian blue male 410
    Belgian blue male 365
    Bb female 355
    Bb male 285
    2 fr males 95

Oldest calf was 29 days old
    Big demand for whitehead and belgian blues pity i dont have 100 of them eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Sold 12 Fr/Holstein bulls out of the yard, average 30 days old, €170.

Good price, repeat customer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Took 6 calves to mart today..
    Belgian blue male 410
    Belgian blue male 365
    Bb female 355
    Bb male 285
    2 fr males 95

Oldest calf was 29 days old
    Big demand for whitehead and belgian blues pity i dont have 100 of them eh.

I'm out with calves again tomorrow all 2 wks or less, will be rode again but let someone else have them.

Ran He mop up bulls but won't have any for a week or so. Saw a very plain whitehead 3wo making €300, madness of the highest order

Seen small jerseys in the mart yesterday 2.50 each or four for a tenner. Think one just got fired in for luck at 0.00

Commision is 7 euro to buy. Prob 5 to sell. Should be a disposal scheme in place or better still funding for sexed semen reseach and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

In Nenagh mart today. Saw fr bulls 2/3 wks making 50/60 euro, light lads and some same age making 120/140 but much stronger in shape. I would question some of the ages of these calves. Anyone think the same?.
    Agree with you frazzled we been rode on these holstien lads.
    BB bull reared , fine calf 495 E.
    2 SIM calves ,M, narrow as f***k 295.00 madness!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Bought this lady today for 300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Best of luck with her, she should make a nice replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Milked out wrote: »
    Good price, repeat customer?

Yes, wants the same again next week. Good calves on 7 lts and potential O grades.

• Advertisement

joejobrien wrote: »
    In Nenagh mart today. Saw fr bulls 2/3 wks making 50/60 euro, light lads and some same age making 120/140 but much stronger in shape. I would question some of the ages of these calves. Anyone think the same?.

Agree on age. See "2" week old calves and they're fit to be skulled. Seller can puff out his chest and talk of the €160 for a fr forgetting the cost. I see guys bringing calves this week will bring some older ones next week and nothing wrong with that. I just bring everything with card and BVD, get rid before they cost anymore

mf240 wrote: »
    Seen small jerseys in the mart yesterday 2.50 each or four for a tenner. Think one just got fired in for luck at 0.00

Commision is 7 euro to buy. Prob 5 to sell. Should be a disposal scheme in place or better still funding for sexed semen reseach and use.

A guy landed at my local mart 3 wks ago with 50 Jex. Backed in unloaded numbered them and left. Heard him say to manager that he didn't want a bill

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

A guy landed at my local mart 3 wks ago with 50 Jex. Backed in unloaded numbered them and left. Heard him say to manager that he didn't want a bill

Who was that now frazzeld!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Who was that now frazzeld!!!!!

Greengrass I heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Reggie. wrote: »
    Greengrass I heard

I wish.....I'd have 100 cows milk then and no where to put it

In all seriousness. How can the mart not have a bill for you. Lads paying 2.50 are being let of commision so theyll take the calves. marts cant operate for free either. Plus buyers get fed up waiting around for the normal calves to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

joejobrien wrote: »

No you are not being rode on Ho lads buying those BB will not leave a bob if finished in Ireland. At present a Friesian that kill 320kgs at under 30 months grading O-3 is making about 1250 max. A 30-36 months Friesian killing 380 kgs grading O=3/4 is making about 1480. No room to pay any more than 50-100 euro for such calves. If you think there is money in finish them yourself.

In 18 months time if stores are expensive and there is a lot of them around Pudsey will be keeping his fist in his pocket until the following spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Bought this lady today for 300

What age is she LC? You've an eye for replacements ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

mf240 wrote: »
    In all seriousness. How can the mart not have a bill for you. Lads paying 2.50 are being let of commision so theyll take the calves. marts cant operate for free either. Plus buyers get fed up waiting around for the normal calves to come in.

Unless sold as a group, possibly not even going through the ring. A manager you'd imagine would know his clients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

I sold a FR Bull in Castleisland on the 16th Feb = 57 euro. The same age calves today (2 weeks) in Milltown 30, 40 and 51 euro respectively.

Advertisement